Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2022 12:47 am  #1

Update '89 Omnibus Has Some Interesting Info In Its Preview

Mods: If there's a better place for this post to go, please move it there.

According to the listing for the Omnibus of the OHOTMU: Update '89, the release date for this is now December 13, 2022.

However, the Preview for the Hardcover Edition has some interesting info.  If you don't remember what the solicits said when this was first announced, this omnibus includes not just the entries included in the Update '89 series, but also "an extensive collection of profiles, schematics and updates originally published outside the Handbooks!"

Well, the preview for the Hardcover includes the first 48 pages.  And pages 5-8 are devoted to a listing of the omnibus's contents.  And without spilling the beans, the contents listing gives you a much better idea of what those "outside the Handbooks" profiles are going to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Handbook-Marvel-Universe-Omnibus/dp/1302934589/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=i2TdT&content-id=amzn1.sym.e4bd6ac6-9035-4a04-92a6-fc4ad60e09ad&pf_rd_p=e4bd6ac6-9035-4a04-92a6-fc4ad60e09ad&pf_rd_r=N11FWJFXZ7ZX984E9GY1&pd_rd_wg=qulQG&pd_rd_r=ef7eeb7f-7c6c-494a-a137-7f8ab9051494&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Last edited by skippcomet (8/28/2022 12:48 am)

8/28/2022 7:57 am  #2

Re: Update '89 Omnibus Has Some Interesting Info In Its Preview

skippcomet wrote:

Well, the preview for the Hardcover includes the first 48 pages.  And pages 5-8 are devoted to a listing of the omnibus's contents.  And without spilling the beans, the contents listing gives you a much better idea of what those "outside the Handbooks" profiles are going to be.

I can't find the preview, sorry. Could you help, please? I would like to read pages 5-8, thanks

8/28/2022 8:59 am  #3

mal32 wrote:

skippcomet wrote:

I can't find the preview, sorry. Could you help, please? I would like to read pages 5-8, thanks

Click on the front cover image and a preview should pop up.

8/28/2022 4:20 pm  #4

On the left side of Amazon's page for the omnibus is a photo of what appears to be the omnibus's cover.  Directly above the cover are the words "Look Inside" in orange and blue with a blue downward-pointing arrow.  Click on those words and the preview should pop up.

8/29/2022 1:15 pm  #5

"an extensive collection of profiles, schematics and updates originally published outside the Handbooks!"
Andy guesses ?
The NewUniverse ones ?

9/03/2022 4:18 pm  #6

A possibility could be the half page entries from Damage Control.

9/03/2022 9:43 pm  #7

RVcousin wrote:

"an extensive collection of profiles, schematics and updates originally published outside the Handbooks!"
Andy guesses ?
The NewUniverse ones ?

According to the Contents in the Amazon preview, the New Universe profiles will be included.

Sidney Osinga wrote:

A possibility could be the half page entries from Damage Control.

Possibly. The contexts mention Damage Control but not individual members. It's possible they are considered sub-entries.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

9/04/2022 12:58 pm  #8

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

According to the Contents in the Amazon preview, the New Universe profiles will be included.

I apparently have the same problem as mal32, I juste have the cover in the preview : I don't know if it is because I am in France or because I am trying with my celle phone.
Can somebody send me the new pages from the preview ?

9/04/2022 2:11 pm  #9

RVcousin wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I apparently have the same problem as mal32, I juste have the cover in the preview : I don't know if it is because I am in France or because I am trying with my celle phone.
Can somebody send me the new pages from the preview ?

Apologies but I think we'd better not: the pages say "Copyrighted Material" so we might get in trouble if we take a screen capture, and it won't let me select text. The Look Inside option seems to be only in the US (.com) version and not France, Canada etc. If you're being redirected to your home country see if you can set things to visit the US version specifically. I can tell you that the Scroll Bar if you click on Look Inside is very tiny and hard to see, It took me a bit of time to find it. So it might be there but hard to spot.

9/05/2022 9:40 am  #10

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Apologies but I think we'd better not: the pages say "Copyrighted Material" so we might get in trouble if we take a screen capture, and it won't let me select text. The Look Inside option seems to be only in the US (.com) version and not France, Canada etc. If you're being redirected to your home country see if you can set things to visit the US version specifically. I can tell you that the Scroll Bar if you click on Look Inside is very tiny and hard to see, It took me a bit of time to find it. So it might be there but hard to spot.

Don't be sorry Andy, it's OK and I have found the solution : it wasn't workig on my cell phone, on my computer it worked.
I have made an analysis from the content page of the profiles published outside of the Handbooks and I have some notes :
Forbush Man from Marvel Age #45 is missing
The Pitt (from NewUniverse) is apparently 2 page, but in it was only 1 in its previous edition
I guess the Punisher's Battle Van is from Punisher Armory #1

Last edited by RVcousin (9/05/2022 9:41 am)

9/08/2022 9:35 am  #11

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Apologies but I think we'd better not: the pages say "Copyrighted Material" so we might get in trouble if we take a screen capture

Aren't most of the images we post copyrighted material?

9/08/2022 11:14 am  #12

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Apologies but I think we'd better not: the pages say "Copyrighted Material" so we might get in trouble if we take a screen capture

I think we'd be okay. Websites are allowed to post a small percentage of a publication for purposes of review and/or education. I'd say that info on the contents would fall under those categories.

9/08/2022 8:26 pm  #13

Loki wrote:

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I think we'd be okay. Websites are allowed to post a small percentage of a publication for purposes of review and/or education. I'd say that info on the contents would fall under those categories.

All true. I'm just a little extra cautious when there's a watermark I probably won't stop anyone from posting a small amount of watermarked material but just be mindful of the watermark.

9/10/2022 2:48 pm  #14

With that in mind...

9/11/2022 12:11 am  #15

I have checked all entries listes on this page and I found them all, but I haven't seen Forbush Man and the Moon Knight Helicopters

1/06/2023 7:27 am  #16

Resurrecting this thread because I can't find another thread about the Omnibus, of which I received my copy roughly 48 hours ago (and a day after I got my copy of the Who's Who Vol. 2 Omnibus; thank you discounted pricing on Amazon!). 

I've been recovering from a bout of Covid for just over a week, so I've had a little time to actually sift through this, and wow.  I thought I'd been thorough in finding the back issues that the New Universe Handbook-like entries had originally appeared in, but there were a couple that I'd missed. I'd focused on the entries covering characters more so than the ones on weapons, vehicles, and locations, so the inclusion of entries on Cap's shield, Punisher's battle van and warehouse, the Starjammer, the Icarus, the more detailed schematic of Four Freedoms Plaza, and more are pleasant surprises to me.

Of particular interest to me was the reprint of the Marvel Age interview with Peter Sanderson about the Update '89 series, especially the part in which he discusses the plans at the time for what would have been the Handbook Appendix as well as future Update series.  Ah, what might have been.

Anybody else got this yet?

Board footera