Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2020 6:10 am  #91

Re: General Comics Trivia

This next quiz is a bit different. For all the questions below, there are descriptors of two characters from different companies who share the same code name (spelled the same way). Name the code name and both companies.  Yes, many of the questions will relate to the Big Two, but not all relate to both of them. In most cases, a clue for a particular version might be too vague, but the clues together should point to one answer. Should the clues point to multiple answers, I reserve the right to add to the clues as this gets pointed out.

If the company name has changed since they first appeared with that company, you can use any name used while at that company, or the current name.

If the character has been used by multiple companies, you can use any company they’ve been owned by, as long as they’ve used that specific code name with that company. In two cases, use the rule for a specific question.

1. One has a magical cape, the other has a syllable that’s a form of a municipality somewhere in their real name.
2. One was a western hero, the other led a country.
3. One could split their body, the other derived her powers from deities.
4. One says their code name to transform, the other is from a mythical land.
5. One has abilities similar to Superman’s at the time they first appeared, the other is a reformed embezzler.
6. One is a double legacy hero (one by birth, one by code name), the other can transform into the substance in their code name.
7. One received their powers through alien means, part of the other’s real name is a word meaning wealth.
8. One is a teen who loves burgers, the other only thought he was a kid.
9. One is a barbarian who normally works in his home dimension, the other is a literally larger than life unfortunate racial stereotype.
10. Who is a kid (later adult) with a magical ring, the other sometimes consumed garbage.
11.  One is a white cowled assassin, the other is also a villain for hire, and much of her costume is green.
12. Two characters, originally from different companies, though one company bought out the other's characters. After that they were retroactively revealed to be part of the same team under the same name, even attending at least one meeting together. Due to the nature of these questions, for the character who changed companies, name their original company.
13. One is a mostly red garbed hero, the other is a villain who was killed in a bar.
14. One died in the form of their code name’s namesake, the other has a legal sounding word as part of their real name.
15. One was featured in more than one “impossible story”, the other ran a detective agency.
16. One has worked for the government, the other is a criminal who tends to wear a bikini-like costume.
17. One was part of a team of similarly themed villains, the other led a team of villains against one of the best known hero teams.
18. One is a villain with a fear based motif, the other is a villain who uses a specific type of bird.
19. One got his powers from a special vitamin, the other has to keep declining his suit’s offer to enter killing mode. The latter company probably owns the former, but hasn’t used them except for a trading card, so use the original comic company for the former.
20. Both characters operate in the future or at least a possible future; one usually works as part of a super-villain team, the other is a hero who had her own series.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

7/16/2020 9:49 am  #92

18. Scarecrow, DC and Marvel respectively.

7/16/2020 10:09 am  #93

18 is correct. Obviously the bird used by the Marvel version is a crow.

7/16/2020 1:06 pm  #94

8. Captain Hero. Archie's Jughead Jones and Marvel's Super-Skrull hypnotized to believe himself a human child.

13. Jaguar. Archie hero, Marvel villain and victim of Scourge.

7/16/2020 5:28 pm  #95

Both of those are correct, and efforts on my part to avoid the questions all being Marvel and DC. Archie's Superteens were revealed in Life with Archie (second series) to exist on a different Earth, thus explaining why Jughead doesn't transform into Captain Hero during other times when it would be useful to do so. I can't recall if it was ever explicitly stated, but I imagine that like Captain Pureheart he can cloud's people's minds a little. Otherwise the crown and no mask in both identities is a dead giveaway.

The Marvel Jaguar was of course specifically killed at the Bar with No Name. There was actually one in Toronto but it closed down a few years ago.

7/18/2020 3:14 pm  #96

2. Nighthawk. DC's was a western hero, one of the Marvel ones, the Squadron Supreme-712's Kyle Richmond, was US President.

4. Enchantress. DC's says her name to transform, Marvel's is from mystical Asgard.

5. Wonder Man. Fox Features Syndicate's version was so similar to Superman that he got shut down by legal action; Marvel's is a reformed embezzler.

7. Cheetah. Marvel's Cheetah got his powers from aliens, DC's Cheetah is Priscilla Rich.

9. Claw. DC's Claw operates mostly in his home dimension/world of Pytharia. Lev Gleason's Claw was a giant Asian man and terrible stereotype.

12. Manhunter. Quality's Dan Richards was retconned into being part of the All-Star Squadron alongside DC's Paul Kirk.

14. Tarantula. Marvel's Antonio Rodriquez underwent treatment to give him powers like Spider-Man, but it went wrong and transformed him into a giant spider and he died. DC's Golden Age Tarantula was John Law.

17. Not sure this is the one you mean, but it fits the description. Magneto. DC's Magneto was part of a team of robots (similarly themed villains), while Marvel's led a team (the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants) against one of the best known teams (X-Men).

7/18/2020 4:08 pm  #97

2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, and 14 are correct and the ones I'm looking for. Specifically, the Marvel Cheetah got his powers from a Kree Sentry.

For 17, I'm using this  part of the rules: "Should the clues point to multiple answers, I reserve the right to add to the clues as this gets pointed out." Magneto is technically correct but not what I was looking for, so: For the first character, the theme is corrected to their code name.

7/19/2020 4:05 am  #98

3. Just checking there's not a typo in there. MF Enterprise's Captain Marvel could split his body, and Fawcett's Captain Marvel (later Shazam) gets his powers from deities, but the use of "her powers" would rule out the latter. Unless Mary Marvel ever called herself Captain Marvel.

10. Archie's the Fly (a.k.a. Fly-Man) got his powers from a ring, Marvel's Fly (a.k.a. Human Fly) had begun eating garbage before he died.

15. DC's Multiple Man was a Wonder Woman foe who appeared in her "impossible stories"; Marvel's Multiple Man ran a detective agency in his Madrox miniseries, prior to it morphing into X-Factor Investigations.

20. Hmm. Not certain on this one, because strictly speaking they are not spelled the same way. DC's Spider Girl is a member of the Legion of Super-Villains; Marvel's Mayday Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Girl is a hero who had her own series. Both are set in the future, kind of. Again, Mayday is actually an alternate present, it's just the future if compared to 616.

7/19/2020 4:50 am  #99

3. You more or less got this one except for getting the company name wrong. The trick was that when Jerry Ordway was writing Power of Shazam, he had Mary share the Captain Marvel code name with her brother (probably because her usual code name reveals her actual code name). I don't think other writers so much had her change the code name as simply ignored/didn't know about the other code name. Regardless, I deliberately used her to make that one more of a challenge. That being the case, since she didn't use the identity under Fawcett, that part is incorrect due to the final rule paragraph, though obviously that leads to DC.
10 is correct. In fact a careful reading shows that this led to the Marvel version's demise. Scourge got to the institution just after he escaped and therefore Fly should have been long gone. However, he stopped for garbage, which gave Scourge time to catch up to him.
15 is correct,
20 is correct. In some places the DC version uses the hyphen. For example, the looseleaf Who's Who series: Didn't realize that bit about the present with Marvel Spider-Girl, though that does make sense from a crossover standpoint.

7/19/2020 5:25 am  #100

6. Sandman. DC's Hector Hall, child of the Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl, and inheritor of Wesley Dodds' codename (from his perspective)/ Morpheus' alias (from the perspective of his manipulators, Brute and Glob); Marvel's Flint Marko.

16. Nightshade. DC's (formerly Charlton's) worked for the government via the Suicide Squad; Marvel's used to wear a very skimpy costume.

7/19/2020 6:13 am  #101

6. Correct, though he more directly succeeded the Garrett Sandford version from his perspective, even though he was obviously aware of Dodds. And of course the Marvel version is generally considered to have William Baker as his real name, with Flint Marko a frequent alias.

16 is correct. This is a case where either company would have worked for the Eve Eden version, as IIRC she  worked for the government in both Charlton and DC comics, though only with the Squad under DC.

7/19/2020 11:50 pm  #102

19. Blue Beetle. Fox Features Syndicate's Dan Garret took Vitamin-2X to become the hero; DC's Jaime Reyes has a somewhat psychotic armor.

7/20/2020 5:30 am  #103

19 is correct. Not to be confused with archaeologist Dan Garrett who has been used by both Charlton and DC.

7/22/2020 5:23 am  #104

Calling a day on the remaining:
1. One has a magical cape, the other has a syllable that’s a form of a municipality somewhere in their real name.
11.  One is a white cowled assassin, the other is also a villain for hire, and much of her costume is green.
17. One was part of a team of similarly themed [in terms of code name] villains, the other led a team of villains against one of the best known hero teams.

7/23/2020 5:15 am  #105

The remaining answers (I'll likely revisit this series sooner than later).
Cat-Man. The DC version (and this appears to be another case where the character can be spelled with or without hyphen) has a cape that some accounts claim give him nine lives. One Marvel version is Townshend Morgan.

Enforcer. The Marvel version has a white cowl, and the DC version, at least Mica wears a largely green (and orange) costume.

17. One was part of a team of similarly themed [in terms of code name] villains, the other led a team of villains against one of the best known hero teams.
Libra. For both the human and android versions, the Marvel version is a member of Zodiac. The DC version led the Injustice Gang of the World against the Justice League of America.

7/23/2020 5:53 am  #106

This week’s quiz is about animals. Obviously humans are animals, but humans, and humanoid aliens such as Superman and Martian Manhunter are excluded. However, other standard looking animals, extraterrestrials that resemble Earth animals, and anthropomorphic characters all count.
1. Who appeared to kill Little Cheese and who actually killed him?
2. Who more or less ousted a Green Lantern out of their own title?
3. Which alien Green Lantern ally resembled a starfish?
4. What is Hoppy’s heroic alter ego?
5. Who was the first animal superhero to be based on the Flash?
6. Who were the most prominent members of the Junior Woodchucks, i.e. the ones who had their own title?
7. Who was the original Ka-Zar’s animal companion?
8. Who was Speedball’s cat?
9. Which member of the Zoo Crew first appeared decades (real world time) before their teammates?
10. Hellcow was steaked, er, staked by whom in the former’s first appearance?
11. The Phantom Blot often battled which superhero?
12. Which Rocket Raccoon ally resembles a walrus?
13. What team was Detective Chimp a member of?
14. Duktor Doom claimed he didn’t want to be a what?
15. Goose Rider first appeared in which series?
16. Which rabbit’s adventures were published by Continuity?
17. Which rodent team was arguably the best known of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles swipes?
18. What is the name of Marvel’s team of heroic elephants?
19.  Which animal protagonist was once told he would die alone and unloved?
20. What is the Space Canine Patrol Agents’ chant?

7/23/2020 6:12 am  #107

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

This week’s quiz is about animals. Obviously humans are animals, but humans, and humanoid aliens such as Superman and Martian Manhunter are excluded. However, other standard looking animals, extraterrestrials that resemble Earth animals, and anthropomorphic characters all count.

4. What is Hoppy’s heroic alter ego?
5. Who was the first animal superhero to be based on the Flash?
8. Who was Speedball’s cat?
10. Hellcow was steaked, er, staked by whom in the former’s first appearance?
17. Which rodent team was arguably the best known of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles swipes?
18. What is the name of Marvel’s team of heroic elephants?
19.  Which animal protagonist was once told he would die alone and unloved?

4. Captain Marvel Bunny
5. The Terrific Whatsit
8. Niels
10. Howard the Duck
13. Shadowpact
17. Adolescent Blackbelt Radioactive Hamsters
18. Power Pachyderms
19. Cerebus the Aardvark

7/23/2020 7:12 am  #108

All those are correct. For 4 I'd have also accepted the shorter but common Marvel Bunny. For 5, minor spelling correction: Terrific Whatzit.

7/23/2020 2:05 pm  #109

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

15. Goose Rider first appeared in which series?
16. Which rabbit’s adventures were published by Continuity? 

14. a villain?
15. Marvel Tails?
16. Bucky O'Hare

7/23/2020 5:39 pm  #110

14. Incorrect. He immediately after said, "I just want to rule the world", so he seems fine with being a villain.
15. Correct. Or, if you prefer, Marvel Tails, Featuring Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham
16. Correct.

7/23/2020 11:48 pm  #111

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. Who were the most prominent members of the Junior Woodchucks, i.e. the ones who had their own title?

Huey, Dewey and Louie, Donald's nephews. But a counter question - can you name the fourth nephew, who appeared intermittently until a story finally confirmed him in canon (even if later ones try to ignore that)?

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

7. Who was the original Ka-Zar’s animal companion?

Zar, the lion. Ka-Zar in the original's instance meant "brother of the lion." Which presumably means Zar's name is either "Lion" or "brother."

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. The Phantom Blot often battled which superhero?

Supergoof.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

12. Which Rocket Raccoon ally resembles a walrus?

He doesn't resemble one, he is one. Wal Russ.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I know Shadowpact is already mentioned, but he was also in the Mystery Analysts of Gotham. Yes, I know that's from Scooby-Doo and Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but you never specified which reality you were asking about. And also Justice League Dark.

7/24/2020 5:50 am  #112

All those are correct. More notes:

6. I'll let someone else answer your question. I've been meaning to read more Duck stories because the ones during Free Comic Day were generally better than the new material for that event, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

11. Spelled Super Goof in most cases.

12.I tend to hedge my bets with characters that I'm not 100% sure came from Earth. Their internal organs for example may be different.

13. I'll take your word for those. I haven't read the Hanna-Barbera crossovers and I know little of the DC Universe after August of 2011.

7/24/2020 10:12 am  #113

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

13. I'll take your word for those. I haven't read the Hanna-Barbera crossovers and I know little of the DC Universe after August of 2011.

The Scooby Doo/Batman one is a movie, and well worth seeking out if you've not seen it.

7/24/2020 5:27 pm  #114

Loki wrote:

The Scooby Doo/Batman one is a movie, and well worth seeking out if you've not seen it.

I might see it at some point. I think now I've seen it in stores but didn't pick it up because I couldn't get into the main series. Would you recommend it to people who like the characters but couldn't get into the B&B TV series?

7/25/2020 12:18 am  #115

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

I might see it at some point. I think now I've seen it in stores but didn't pick it up because I couldn't get into the main series. Would you recommend it to people who like the characters but couldn't get into the B&B TV series?

If you didn't like the B&B TV series, then possibly not. 

7/30/2020 5:47 am  #116

Forgot to call a day's notice yesterday so you get an extra day on the remaining answers:
9. Which member of the Zoo Crew first appeared decades (real world time) before their teammates?

7/30/2020 12:49 pm  #117

9. I think Pig-Iron's alter ego, Peter Porkchop (?), appeared first.

2. And I really hope the answer isn't "Kyle Raynor."  18 years of Dan Didio's war against legacy characters was 18 years too many.

7/30/2020 5:49 pm  #118

9. Mostly correct: His alter ego is Peter Porkchops. he even had his own series.

2. No worries, Kyle is not part of the answer. This goes way further back.

7/31/2020 2:50 am  #119

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Forgot to call a day's notice yesterday so you get an extra day on the remaining answers:

Streak the Wonder Dog. 

7/31/2020 5:03 am  #120

2 is correct. It was the first series, devoted to Alan Scott. GL continued to appear from time to time but he was essentially a supporting character. Streak's first appearance, written from his perspective, can be found in Green Lantern: A Celebration of 75 Years.

The rest:
Alley-Kat-Abra and Dark Alley, respectively.

Itty

Rock star

I'll let the dogs themselves answer this one:

Board footera