Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2022 1:57 pm  #91

Re: General speculative fiction trivia

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. I know Serkis and Oswalt have appeared in the MCU (as Klaw and the male Koening siblings respectively). I don't recall anything with Barbeau but i might as well guess MCU anyway.

True about both Serkis and Oswalt, but it's not the MCU. Plus, I said specific comic universe, not movie universe...

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

4. I imagine it's whoever played Pennywise in the newer version of It (I don't think Tim Curry played Tarzan) but I want to play fair and not look things up and I have no idea who the actors were in the newer version, just that there was a newer version.

I'm likewise fairly sure Tim Curry was never Tarzan (the mind boggles!). That said, I did state that the link was actorS, not an actor.

12/19/2022 4:29 pm  #92

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. I know Serkis and Oswalt have appeared in the MCU (as Klaw and the male Koening siblings respectively). I don't recall anything with Barbeau but i might as well guess MCU anyway.

I think Adrienne Barbeau was in the first Avengers movie as one of the security council members.

But since it's not that I'll guess DC Comics, again based upon Barbeau (who appeared in the first Swamp Thing film).

Last edited by zuckyd1 (12/19/2022 4:30 pm)

12/19/2022 5:21 pm  #93

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I think Adrienne Barbeau was in the first Avengers movie as one of the security council members.

But since it's not that I'll guess DC Comics, again based upon Barbeau (who appeared in the first Swamp Thing film).

You are right about the comic company. The connection goes deeper than just that though, but it should hopefully set you in the right direction.

12/19/2022 6:22 pm  #94

Slight tangent:

zuckyd1 wrote:

No. Could you be thinking of Jenny Agutter?

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

12/20/2022 7:34 am  #95

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Slight tangent:

zuckyd1 wrote:

No. Could you be thinking of Jenny Agutter?

Probably.

12/20/2022 7:54 am  #96

More clues.

Loki wrote:

1. Lee Tully, Peter Hale, Mr. Dunleavy, Ray (surname unrevealed), Ted Nichols
All are fictional characters with a similarity in who or what they are, but also similar in terms of something they did.
All are similar in terms of what very specific type of individual they are, as well as an action they took that had major consequences for the TV shows they appeared in.
All are the same type of supernatural individual.

Lee Tully appeared in Being Human. Ray appeared in the US version of Being Human.

Loki wrote:

2. John Call, David Harbour, James Cosmo, Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell
All actors with similarity in terms of a role or roles.
The role or roles in question were fantastical in nature.
The role or roles are specific to a time of year.

All played the same character, though in James Cosmo's case an alternative name for said character was used.

Loki wrote:

3. Andy Serkis, Patton Oswalt, Henderson Wade, Adrienne Barbeau
As #2 - all actors with similarity in terms of a role or roles.
The role or roles in question all share the same setting/world/universe.
The role or roles belong to a specific comic universe.

The role or roles relate to them appearing in DC adaptations.

Loki wrote:

4. Vladimir Harkonnen, Tarzan, Kurt Wallander, Pennywise the Dancing Clown
All fictional characters with a connection via their adaptations to film or TV.
The connection involves actors who have portrayed them.
While many people have portrayed Tarzan, far fewer have done so for the others. It might help to consider those options to narrow down the connection.

Scandanavia.

Loki wrote:

6. Teacher, Nurse, Cowboy, Loving, Screaming!
Clearly no one British over a certain age on the forums, or this one would have been spotted very quickly. No clue that wouldn't be too obvious springs to mind, so instead I'll add a few more items to that list:
Teacher, Nurse, Cowboy, Loving, Screaming!, Sergeant, Spying, Constable, Henry, Matron, England
The connection is franchise related.
All in order:
Sergeant, Nurse, Teacher, Constable, Regardless, Cruising, Cabby, Jack, Spying, Cleo, Cowboy, Screaming!, Don't Lose Your Head, Follow that Camel, Doctor, Up the Khyber, Camping, Again Doctor, Up the Jungle, Loving, Henry, At Your Convenience, Matron, Abroad, Girls, Dick, Behind, England, That's, Emmanuelle, Columbus.

Correctly identified as the Carry On movies.

Loki wrote:

7. Haruo Nakajima, Kenpachiro Satsuma, T.J. Storm, Toru Kawai
Actors with a similarity in terms of a role or roles.
The connection is a specific character.
That specific character is not human.

In case the names of three of the actors didn't give it away, think Japan.

Loki wrote:

8. Harry Harrison, A.E.Moorat, Christopher Bulis, Kim Newman
Authors with a similarity in terms of a story, stories, novel or novels.
The similarity has to do with an individual normally associated with a very specific era; said character has featured prominently in at least one book by each author.
Not Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper or Dracula, although all three are approximately the right era. The person you want is not fictional.
A British individual.

Nobody could be more associated with the era this character hales from, by definition.

Loki wrote:

9. Caroline Hubbard, Alfred Inglethorp, James Sheppard, Simon Doyle
Characters with something in common.
All four are literary characters, though they've also been adapted to the screen, and all four did something very wrong.
All four are from the same author.

Mystery stories.

Loki wrote:

10. Sanctuary, Hell, Merovin, Haven, Liavek
Fictional places with a similar literary connection.
Four of the places are fantasy, one is SF, but all are used in multiple books and stories.
Correcting myself slightly - three places are fantasy, one SF, one SF that feels much like fantasy. Two are cities, two are planets, and one is a plane of existence (no prizes for guessing which, given the names on the list). All feature multiple protagonists and antagonists; which is which shifts from story to story.

Each location has been written about by multiple authors, despite only appearing in one book series apiece (in the case of Hell, obviously others have written about it, but I'm talking only about the specific version of Hell seen in this single book series still having multiple authors).

12/20/2022 8:06 am  #97

8. Queen Victoria?

12/20/2022 8:46 am  #98

zuckyd1 wrote:

8. Queen Victoria?

Queen Victoria indeed.
Harry Harrison wrote Queen Victoria's Revenge (which, despite the title, is not Queen Victoria going on a Death Wish-like murder spree). Though she doesn't actually appear in the novel (iirc), her influence is felt, as you might have guessed from the title.

A. E. Moorat wrote Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter. Title says it all, really.

Kim Newman wrote Anno Dracula, set in an alternate timeline where Dracula took Queen Victoria as his bride and turned Britain into a vampire nation. Victoria herself turns up late in the story.

Christopher Bulis wrote Imperial Moon, a Doctor Who novel in which Victoria sends the first expedition to the Moon in 1878. 

12/20/2022 5:06 pm  #99

7. Godzilla actors?

12/21/2022 4:23 am  #100

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

7. Godzilla actors?

Exactly. 

Haruo Nakajima was the original man in the Godzilla suit, and played the role for 12 movies. He was also Mothra, Rodan, Baragon and King Kong in other movies!
Kenpachiro Satsuma, who had played other monsters in the Godzillaverse in earlier movies, took over as the Big G in Godzilla (1984) and stayed in the role for 8 movies of the Heisei era, ending his run in 1995. 
Stuntman T.J. Storm was Godzilla for 2014's Godzilla and then for Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Unlike his predecessors, he didn't wear the suit, as Godzilla was CGI, but he did perform the movements using motion capture (so if we can credit Andy Serkis for LoTR, Planet of the Apes and King Kong, we can count Storm as Godzilla).
Toru Kawai was Godzilla twice, for the movie Terror of Mechagozilla, and for Godzilla's TV appearance as on the series Zone Fighter.

12/21/2022 8:14 am  #101

More clues.

Loki wrote:

All are fictional characters with a similarity in who or what they are, but also similar in terms of something they did.
All are similar in terms of what very specific type of individual they are, as well as an action they took that had major consequences for the TV shows they appeared in.
Lee Tully appeared in Being Human. Ray appeared in the US version of Being Human.

If no one gets at least the first half of the connection from this then I will probably need to give the answer:
Peter Hale is from Teen Wolf, Mr. Dunleavy is from Big Wolf on Campus, Ted Nichols is from Werewolf.

Loki wrote:

All played the same character, though in James Cosmo's case an alternative name for said character was used.

Gibson played the role in the movie Fatman. Cosmo played it in Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Loki wrote:

Wade and Barbeau both played their respective roles in adaptations of Swamp Thing.

Loki wrote:

While many people have portrayed Tarzan, far fewer have done so for the others. It might help to consider those options to narrow down the connection.
Scandanavia.

Bootstrap, Amleth, Canute, Zeitgeist  

Loki wrote:

All four are literary characters, though they've also been adapted to the screen, and all four did something very wrong.
Mystery stories.

Murder mysteries.

Loki wrote:

Four of the places are fantasy, one is SF, but all are used in multiple books and stories.
Correcting myself slightly - three places are fantasy, one SF, one SF that feels much like fantasy. Two are cities, two are planets, and one is a plane of existence (no prizes for guessing which, given the names on the list). All feature multiple protagonists and antagonists; which is which shifts from story to story.
Each location has been written about by multiple authors, despite only appearing in one book series apiece (in the case of Hell, obviously others have written about it, but I'm talking only about the specific version of Hell seen in this single book series still having multiple authors).

Aspirin, Morris, Cherryh, Pournelle, Bull & Shetterley

12/22/2022 1:20 pm  #102

More clues.

Loki wrote:

Peter Hale is from Teen Wolf, Mr. Dunleavy is from Big Wolf on Campus, Ted Nichols is from Werewolf.

If the last clue didn't make it clear, all five shows feature lead characters who are werewolves.

Loki wrote:

Gibson played the role in the movie Fatman. Cosmo played it in Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Harbour played the role in a movie this year; Russell played it in two movies, one released two years ago, one released last year.

Loki wrote:

Wade and Barbeau both played their respective roles in adaptations of Swamp Thing.

Serkis played the role in an adaptation of Sandman.

Loki wrote:

Scandanavia.

Selvig, Northman, Floki, Kro

Loki wrote:

Mystery stories.
Murder mysteries.

All four played the same role in said murder mysteries.

Loki wrote:

Alan Moore's A Hypothetical Lizard was originally written for one of the series. Another series, probably the most famous, was adapted into a tabletop RPG supplement by Chaosium and a series of graphic novels by Starblaze Graphics.

12/22/2022 2:35 pm  #103

10. Something to do with Warhammer?

12/22/2022 3:31 pm  #104

zuckyd1 wrote:

10. Something to do with Warhammer?

Nope, not Warhammer. None of the fictional places were created with RPGs in mind; one has been adapted to RPG format though.

12/23/2022 9:46 am  #105

More clues.

Loki wrote:

If the last clue didn't make it clear, all five shows feature lead characters who are werewolves.

I think I'm going to have to reveal this one. Each character is a werewolf who infected the protagonist of their given show with lycanthropy.
Lee Tully turned George Sands into a werewolf in Being Human.
Ray turned Josh Levinson into a werewolf in the American remake of the series.
Peter Hale bit Scott McCall in Teen Wolf.
Mr Dunleavy infected Tommy Dawkins in Big Wolf on Campus.
Ted Nichols bit Eric Cord in the series Werewolf.

Loki wrote:

Harbour played the role in a movie this year; Russell played it in two movies, one released two years ago, one released last year.

If these two movies names don't give the answer away, then I'll give this answer tomorrow (I'll leave off the fifth and final one as the character's name is in the title):
David Harbour in Violent Night; Kurt Russell in The Christmas Chronicles and The Christmas Chronicles 2

Loki wrote:

Serkis played the role in an adaptation of Sandman.

Oswalt played the role in an adaptation of Sandman.

Loki wrote:

Scandanavia.
Selvig, Northman, Floki, Kro

Stellan, Alexander, Gustaf, Bill

Loki wrote:

Mystery stories.
Murder mysteries.

All four faced off against a very famous detective.

Loki wrote:

Alan Moore's A Hypothetical Lizard was originally written for one of the series. Another series, probably the most famous, was adapted into a tabletop RPG supplement by Chaosium and a series of graphic novels by Starblaze Graphics.

Last clues before I give the answer:
Though not otherwise connected, and lacking a specific distinct location that the original examples had, the book series Wild Cards and Man-Kzin Wars would both fit the similar literary connection.

12/23/2022 9:56 am  #106

4. Actors with the last name Skarsgard?

12/23/2022 10:06 am  #107

zuckyd1 wrote:

4. Actors with the last name Skarsgard?

Close enough - they are literally all the same family.
Stellan Skarsgard was Vladimir Harkonnen in the recent Dune adaptation, Bootstrap Bill Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3, and Erik Selvig in Thor and Avengers.
Stellan's son Alexander was Tarzan in Legend of Tarzan, Prince Amleth in The Northman, and Eric Northman in True Blood.
Stellan's son Gustaf was detective Kurt Wallander in Pyramiden (though I honestly didn't expect that would be one most people would know), King Canute in two movies, and a series regular as Floki in Vikings.
Stellan's son Bill was Pennywise in the two recent It movies, Zeitgeist in Deadpool 2 and Kro in The Eternals. He's due to play both Eric Draven in a remake of The Crow and Count Orlok in a remake of Nosferatu, so he's busy racking up genre roles.

12/23/2022 11:08 am  #108

3. All played Swamp Thing characters with the surname Cable, since Matthew the Raven was born Matt Cable, and Abby, played by Barbeau was married to Matt Cable in the comics?

12/23/2022 1:10 pm  #109

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. All played Swamp Thing characters with the surname Cable, since Matthew the Raven was born Matt Cable, and Abby, played by Barbeau was married to Matt Cable in the comics?

I'll allow it. More strictly, it was that they were all playing versions of the same character, Matt Cable. 
Adrienne Barbeau didn't play Abby, but Alice Cable, a gender-swapped Matt Cable mixed with Abby, in the Swamp Thing movie. Abby herself turned up in the sequel movie.
Henderson Wade played Matt Cable in the 2019 Swamp Thing series.
Patton Oswalt voiced Matthew the Raven in the 2022 Sandman TV series, and as you state, Matthew the Raven is Matt Cable, his spirit turned into a dream raven after he died.
And Andy Serkis played Matthew the Raven in the Audible Sandman adaptations.

12/24/2022 7:33 am  #110

Answers for the ones still unguessed:

Loki wrote:

If these two movies names don't give the answer away, then I'll give this answer tomorrow (I'll leave off the fifth and final one as the character's name is in the title):
David Harbour in Violent Night; Kurt Russell in The Christmas Chronicles and The Christmas Chronicles 2

They all played Santa Claus (or in Cosmo's case Father Christmas):
John Call was Santa in Santa Claus vs the Martians
David Harbour was Santa in this year's Violent Night (well worth watching, btw)
James Cosmo was Father Christmas in Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Mel Gibson was Santa in Fatman
Kurt Russell was Santa in Netflix's two Christmas Chronicles movies.

Loki wrote:

Mystery stories.
Murder mysteries.
All four faced off against a very famous detective.

Four murderers caught by Hercule Poirot:
Caroline Hubbard in Murder on the Orient Express
Alfred Inglethorp in The Mysterious Affair at Styles
James Sheppard in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Simon Doyle in Death on the Nile

Loki wrote:

Though not otherwise connected, and lacking a specific distinct location that the original examples had, the book series Wild Cards and Man-Kzin Wars would both fit the similar literary connection.

The settings for shared world anthologies, fictional series written by multiple authors with the same locations and overlapping characters:
Sanctuary is the city where Thieves' World takes place; primarily edited by Robert Aspirin, and the one that got adapted into both graphic novels by Starblaze and an RPG setting by Chaosium.
Hell is the setting for the Damned Saga, which began with Heroes in Hell, primarily edited by Janet Morris. Literally set in Hell, it features a cast from across history, as virtually every famous person ever finds themselves in the underworld after their deaths.
The planet Merovin is the setting for Merovinan Nights, primarily edited by C.J. Cherryh. A lost colony world that has forgotten its origins and devolved into a low-tech society.
The planet Haven is the setting for War World, primarily edited by Jerry Pournelle. The series title pretty much explains the premise.
The fantasy city of Liavek is the setting for the Liavek series, edited by Will Shetterley and Emma Bull. As noted above, Alan Moore was one of the authors who contributed a story to the series, a tale he later adapted into a stand-alone graphic novel.

1/15/2023 8:38 pm  #111

Trying my hand at Loki's recent quiz, so same parameters including "Don't Google".

1. The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Mitchell, Hobgoblins, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
2. The Flash, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, King of the Hill
3. Batman (1966), Batman (1989), Titans, Birds of Prey (TV version) [obviously "DC properties" would be too simple an answer]
4. George RR Martin, Roger Zelanzy, Melissa M Snodgrass, Lewis Shiner
5. The Destroyer, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Dream On, American Psycho
6. Sandy Duncan, Elton John, Sylvester Stallone, Lorene Yarnell
7. Enchantress, Persuader, Mantis, Tarantula
8. Spinal Tap, Captain Invincible, Bruno, Swamp Thing
9. Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, Tromeo & Juliet, Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, Terror Firmer (but NOT Troma's War)
10. Sucher & Sons, Olympia Washington, Disneyland, Disney World
11.  Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Clifton Hill, Dell Publishing, Doctor Strange
12. Agents of SHIELD, Supergirl, Babylon 5, 24

1/18/2023 12:58 pm  #112

Adding one or two more to each of these

1. The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Mitchell, Hobgoblins, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Danger: Diabolik, Godzilla vs. Megallon
2. The Flash, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, King of the Hill, From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series
3. Batman (1966), Batman (1989), Titans, Birds of Prey (TV version) [obviously "DC properties" would be too simple an answer]; the above list is actually complete but you can expand the theme slightly to include Smallville, Doom Patrol
4. George RR Martin, Roger Zelanzy, Melissa M Snodgrass, Lewis Shiner, Edward Bryant
5. The Destroyer, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Dream On, American Psycho, The Americans
6. Sandy Duncan, Elton John, Sylvester Stallone, Lorene Yarnell, Steve Martin, Charles Aznavour
7. Enchantress, Persuader, Mantis, Tarantula, Cat-Man
8. Spinal Tap, Captain Invincible, Bruno, Swamp Thing, the Pink Panther
9. Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, Tromeo & Juliet, Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, Terror Firmer, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (but NOT Troma's War or the first Toxic Avenger)
10. Sucher & Sons, Olympia Washington, Disneyland Anaheim, Disney World, Disneyland Tokyo
11.  Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Clifton Hill, Dell Publishing, Doctor Strange, The Monster Squad
12. Agents of SHIELD, Supergirl, Babylon 5, 24, Justice League

1/18/2023 1:56 pm  #113

4 Wild Cards series authors

1/18/2023 1:59 pm  #114

4 is correct. You can even go further and say they wrote stories in Book 1.

1/18/2023 2:04 pm  #115

7 Characters that have namesakes in both Marvel and DC?

1/18/2023 2:06 pm  #116

7 is correct (and also originated with those companies, which is why I didn't include Hercules, Captain Marvel, etc.)

1/18/2023 8:39 pm  #117

1. All movies shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000

1/19/2023 3:38 am  #118

1 is correct, and all during the pre-Netflix run of the series

1/19/2023 8:13 pm  #119

More clues:
2. The Flash, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, King of the Hill, From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series
The link is a person plus one other element that should be obvious

3. Batman (1966), Batman (1989), Titans, Birds of Prey (TV version) [obviously "DC properties" would be too simple an answer]; the above list is actually complete but you can expand the theme slightly to include Smallville, Doom Patrol
The link is something that happened plus some elaboration

5. The Destroyer, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Dream On, American Psycho, The Americans
The link is a person

6. Sandy Duncan, Elton John, Sylvester Stallone, Lorene Yarnell, Steve Martin, Charles Aznavour
The link is somehow TV related

8. Spinal Tap, Captain Invincible, Bruno, Swamp Thing, the Pink Panther
The link has something to do with the names

9. Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, Tromeo & Juliet, Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, Terror Firmer, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (but NOT Troma's War or the first Toxic Avenger)
The link is something that happened

10. Sucher & Sons, Olympia Washington, Disneyland Anaheim, Disney World, Disneyland Tokyo
These are or were all real world locations of interest to a particular fanbase

11.  Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Clifton Hill, Dell Publishing, Doctor Strange, The Monster Squad
The link is a character

12. Agents of SHIELD, Supergirl, Babylon 5, 24, Justice League
The link is a type of character

1/20/2023 1:24 am  #120

11 Dracula?

Board footera