Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/18/2022 6:46 pm  #121

Re: The Official Handbooks General Q&A Thread

Is anything known about how Daniel Way's Venom run was supposed to end? It was canceled on a cliffhanger with the villains seemingly triumphant, and then promptly ignored apart from a few details like Venom's clone Mania.

Even the Handbooks just say something like the evil plan was "apparently unsuccessful."

12/19/2022 8:28 am  #122

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

Is anything known about how Daniel Way's Venom run was supposed to end? It was canceled on a cliffhanger with the villains seemingly triumphant, and then promptly ignored apart from a few details like Venom's clone Mania.

Even the Handbooks just say something like the evil plan was "apparently unsuccessful."

If the handbook entry leaves it vague like that then we presumably don't know (I say presumably because I didn't write the entry in question). Either we didn't ask for the resolution of the cliffhanger, or did but it wasn't forthcoming; sometimes writers are happy to provide such details, other times they prefer to leave it in the hope of one day getting to resolve it in another story.

1/15/2023 1:18 pm  #123

The Infinity Comics from Marvel Unlimited could be a good place for new handbooks, what do you think ?

1/15/2023 2:11 pm  #124

RVcousin wrote:

The Infinity Comics from Marvel Unlimited could be a good place for new handbooks, what do you think ?

I wouldn't disagree, but it's not me, or indeed any of the handbook writers, you need to convince. Feel free to suggest it to Marvel.

2/03/2023 3:00 pm  #125

Loki wrote:

I wouldn't disagree, but it's not me, or indeed any of the handbook writers, you need to convince. Feel free to suggest it to Marvel.

what email address should I write to ?

6/26/2023 8:49 am  #126

When did Don Blake go from "Human guy channeling the power of Thor" to "Literally Thor?" I know he started as the former but it just struck me that I have absolutely no idea when the switchover to the latter happened.

6/26/2023 6:22 pm  #127

Pinball_Lizard wrote:

When did Don Blake go from "Human guy channeling the power of Thor" to "Literally Thor?" I know he started as the former but it just struck me that I have absolutely no idea when the switchover to the latter happened.

I think it was a gradual process and not a case of one moment it was one, the next it was another. Loki and Odin being the literal Loki and Odin certainly opened the door and then the Tales of Asgard series confirmed that a literal Thor existed as we saw him in his younger days. Lee, Kirby et al pretty much ignored the obvious contradiction. I suspect that if you had to pin down when present day Thor was confirmed beyond any doubt to be the real Thor, it would have been during Walter Simonson's run when he confirmed that Blake was just a construct. But where Thor as opposed to Blake was concerned, that was just confirming what was more or less obvious by then anyway.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

6/29/2023 6:35 am  #128

Although Simonson and others later embellished upon it, the precise relationship between Donald Blake and the "real" Thor was first addressed in Thor #159 which introduced the back-story of Thor having been banished from Asgard for lacking humility.

7/06/2023 7:22 pm  #129

zuckyd1 wrote:

Although Simonson and others later embellished upon it, the precise relationship between Donald Blake and the "real" Thor was first addressed in Thor #159 which introduced the back-story of Thor having been banished from Asgard for lacking humility.

Thank ya!

7/13/2023 3:52 am  #130

During the original Spider-Verse storyline Dan Slott killed off what he considered to be the Spider-Friends from the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon series. Because he used a different reality number, people online have insisted he only killed off the versions from the comic book tie-in (previously treated as the same version being an episode tie-in) though Slott still insists he killed off the animated version. Have any official works confirmed that he only killed off the comic book tie-in version?

7/30/2023 2:55 am  #131

I have a question about the X-Men membership, I Hope one of the OHOTMU writers (and other members of this forum of course) can give me his own point of view : are the young Laura/Wolverine and the old Laura/Talon considered as two différent members ?

Last edited by RVcousin (7/30/2023 2:57 am)

7/30/2023 3:53 pm  #132

Both have been seen on panel together and both have been X-Men members so i say yes.

7/31/2023 3:03 am  #133

Lonewolf36 wrote:

Both have been seen on panel together and both have been X-Men members so i say yes.

Yes but like Old Man Logan/Wolverine or like the Time displaced original 5 ? 😶

7/31/2023 3:42 am  #134

RVcousin wrote:

Lonewolf36 wrote:

No she was hatched on Krakoa when Talon was believed dead. She is not time displaced and more like a clone of a clone. I could be wrong but much like twins i consider them seperate.

7/31/2023 6:49 am  #135

Lonewolf36 wrote:

RVcousin wrote:

Lonewolf36 wrote:

No she was hatched on Krakoa when Talon was believed dead. She is not time displaced and more like a clone of a clone. I could be wrong but much like twins i consider them seperate.

Yes, but that was after her joining, when she entered the team, the clone was believed to be the original, like Jean/Phoenix Force, no ? That questions really tourments my mind lol.

8/12/2023 6:41 am  #136

I'm deleting the photo covers thread and moving the discussion here because it seems to be more of a general question and not something that needs a separate thread. It was also in the wrong section (Individual Official Marvel Handbook, Guidebook, and Files Book Discussion) is for threads on specific Handbooks). If there was an actual Handbook or Files book called "Question about photos" featuring Phil Sheldon, Peter Parker, and other photographers of the Marvel Universe it would belong there. Here's a screen capture of the conversation thus far so it can be continued here:

8/12/2023 12:27 pm  #137

Spider-Giddeon wrote:

@zuykd1 Excuse me for piracy, but here's multiple pictures of the Marvel Fact Files on Miles Morales using textless covers:
https://cdn.ecommercedns.uk/files/2/229812/5/29013085/image56487-01-merged.jpg

Hmmm, not being familiar with those individual issues I'm not sure how much those covers add to or differ from the stories inside. Do any of those images depict "an event that was never shown in a comic"?

My own inclination is to consider a cover canon if it doesn't conflict with other canon. But that's just my own personal head-canon, not official policy.

BTW it's fine to post or link to images, as long as it's within reason—i.e. don't post an entire issue.

8/12/2023 1:27 pm  #138

Spider-Giddeon wrote:

Picture under character identity is an obvious cover photo that never appeared in the comics. So is the one that says ...continued the Spider-Man identity...

So is the one with Katie Bishop and the Spider-Man costume in the street alley.

The first three are fairly generic images. Did Miles ever make that face with his mask torn? Did Katie ever dangle a spider in quite that way? Perhaps. I think it's fine to think of it whichever way you want. The mere inclusion of such an image in a handbook entry probably doesn't change its canon status; the image is meant to be a symbolic illustration, just as it is on the cover. It's included in the handbook entry because it's a striking image. On the other hand, it's unlikely that a handbook entry would incorporate a cover image that blatantly couldn't have occurred.

As for the street alley illustration, it was probably used on the cover—and in the handbook entry—because it pays homage to a very famous panel from Amazing Spider-Man #50, and those who are familiar with the original story would instantly understand that Miles is going through a similar situation that Pater did. I skimmed the issue and there doesn't seem to be any natural place that scene could have occurred. But it could have easily happened at the end of the previous issue.There's nothing to suggest that after ripping up his costume Miles dumped it in a street trashcan... but there's nothing to suggest that he didn't. (Apart from the fact the suit on the cover doesn't look like it's been ripped to shreds... but "artistic license" and all that.)

11/29/2023 10:40 am  #139

Hi. Heritage Auctions has a number of lots of colour guides in their original art auction, and something in one of them caught my eye. Look in the top left corner. That's a Nemesis entry which, as far as I know, was never published.

12/08/2023 5:04 pm  #140

And now there's other lots of colour guides, with more surprises. Clay Quartermain, Clive Reston, James Rhodes. Curiousier and curiousier.

12/11/2023 11:03 am  #141

zuckyd1 wrote:

There was a whole back and forth on "was Don Blake real?" as it got retconned, then the retcon got retconned, then the retconned retcon got retconned, and so on. I recall the handbook team being asked by editorial to try and figure it all out at one point, but as it wasn't an area I'm particularly up on I didn't have much personal involvement so I don't recall details. Suffice to say that "is Don Blake real?" was akin to Marvel's equivalent of Schrodinger's cat - thanks to the back and forth retcons he both was and wasn't until it finally got settled. 

12/11/2023 11:06 am  #142

Lonewolf36 wrote:

RVcousin wrote:

Lonewolf36 wrote:

This is opinion rather than official stance, at least until a relevant handbook allows confirmation one way or another, but given that we consider other clones (e.g. Joseph) as separate individuals from their genetic progenitors, and given X-23 is herself a clone and counted as separate from Wolverine, then yes, both old and young Laura would be considered separate members.

12/11/2023 11:19 am  #143

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Hi. Heritage Auctions has a number of lots of colour guides in their original art auction, and something in one of them caught my eye. Look in the top left corner. That's a Nemesis entry which, as far as I know, was never published.

Very interesting. I suspect these are entries that were written but then had to be cut in favour of covering some other character. We had to do that too a couple of times. 

12/11/2023 1:47 pm  #144

I just found another image of Clive Reston, in B&W but otherwise matches the above. It may be that the art was made but the profile wasn't written. David Day was the artist. Sidney's first post appears to be all Deluxe Edition profiles and his second all Update '89. The link below also places Reston in Update '89.
https://www.2dgalleries.com/galleries/comics-the-official-handbook-of-the-marvel-universe-11806?timespan=4&order=8&catid=2&typeofart=all&offset=48

12/11/2023 2:14 pm  #145

Sidney Osinga wrote:

And now there's other lots of colour guides, with more surprises. Clay Quartermain, Clive Reston, James Rhodes. Curiousier and curiousier.

My guess is these were possible entries for the Update '89 Handbook that for whatever reasons were left out.

12/11/2023 5:23 pm  #146

I assume the Nemesis one was in the wrong grouping. The art seems similar to that of other profiles of Alpha Flight characters in the Update '89 and the small picture under the main one doesn't seem to depict a death, which it would if it was from the Book of the Dead.

Also, I assume the Rhodey profile was cut because he already had one in the Deluxe Edition as Iron Man "II" (since Eddie March wore the armour before him) and not really much had changed since then.

Interesting to see the unpublished Master Edition profiles.

12/21/2023 5:33 pm  #147

In the preview for an upcoming auction, there's the colour guide for a Shamrock entry in a group of Update '89 guides. It does make me wonder how many other profiles got cut. I know the Sunrise Society had an entry reference in the Shadowmasters entry, and I assume Leiko Wu would have gotten since the rest of Shang-Chi's Marvel created supporting cast did.

i also found the art to a number of unpublished Master Edition profiles, such as Hellcat, Ferocia, the villain Magma, the 3rd Foolkiller (identified as II), Sif, the Two-Gun Kid, Battleaxe, Vagabond, and Andreas von Strucker, as well as alternate costumes for Falcon and Thor.

12/31/2023 8:04 am  #148

Sidney Osinga wrote:

In the preview for an upcoming auction, there's the colour guide for a Shamrock entry in a group of Update '89 guides. It does make me wonder how many other profiles got cut. I know the Sunrise Society had an entry reference in the Shadowmasters entry, and I assume Leiko Wu would have gotten since the rest of Shang-Chi's Marvel created supporting cast did.

i also found the art to a number of unpublished Master Edition profiles, such as Hellcat, Ferocia, the villain Magma, the 3rd Foolkiller (identified as II), Sif, the Two-Gun Kid, Battleaxe, Vagabond, and Andreas von Strucker, as well as alternate costumes for Falcon and Thor.

I'd love to see those other images.

In terms of profiles being cut, from my own experience working on the modern handbooks it can happen for a variety of reasons. Sometimes another profile proves to need more space, so a smaller profile gets cut. Sometimes another character suddenly becomes more prominent in the comics, and either we writers or editorial feel that they need an entry instead. Once or twice, in cases specifically related to licensed titles, characters got cut because doubt arose as to whether or not ownership lay with Marvel or the licensee, so we had to play it safe. One entire themed handbook got dropped, after several entries had been written and a cover produced, because handbook sales hadn't been sterling and so this particular one was deemed unlikely to do well financially - many, but not all, of the profiles planned eventually made it to print elsewhere. 

12/31/2023 8:12 am  #149

Loki wrote:

In terms of profiles being cut, from my own experience working on the modern handbooks it can happen for a variety of reasons. Sometimes another profile proves to need more space, so a smaller profile gets cut. Sometimes another character suddenly becomes more prominent in the comics, and either we writers or editorial feel that they need an entry instead. Once or twice, in cases specifically related to licensed titles, characters got cut because doubt arose as to whether or not ownership lay with Marvel or the licensee, so we had to play it safe. One entire themed handbook got dropped, after several entries had been written and a cover produced, because handbook sales hadn't been sterling and so this particular one was deemed unlikely to do well financially - many, but not all, of the profiles planned eventually made it to print elsewhere. 

I know you might not be able to answer these guesses, especially the first one, but I'm wondering if a licensing question got the announced Red Ronin profile pulled, since he appeared in Godzilla and had at least surface similarities to Jet Jaguar. For the entire handbook, I'm betting you're referring to the youth focussed Handbook that caused a lot of interesting profiles to unexpectedly appear in the final hardcover.

Board footera