Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2020 6:03 am  #1

Variant Editions - Foreign or Otherwise

Andy E. Nystrom
04-02-2014, 07:40 AM

(Keeping the first historical thread from CxPulp separate from the rest for future expansion. I suspect there is a large amount of material still to cover)

Last updated January 8, 2020.

I just came up with the idea of starting a new thread on variant versions of the Handbook, foreign or otherwise, planned or unplanned. Specifically excluded are American collections unless there are variants within the collection, but foreign collections do count. I doubt that with the amount of translation needed that there are versions translated into other languages (though I'd love it if there were) but maybe there are more other English language variants?

CONFIRMED VARIANTS

• Encyclopedie Marvel Universe: 6 thin French trades by Lug and Semic covering profiles from first through fourth (Master) series
  • Marvel No-Prize Book (quasi-Saga book): Abridged version included with The Marvel Vault book.
  • Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (first series): American newsstand, Canadian Newstand, and Direct Market price variants exist on all issues). Before it became standard practice for American and US prices to appear on the same comic covers, Canadian editions often just had Canadian prices.  In addition, there appears to be a third, Direct market version
  • Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (second series/Deluxe Edition): As per first series
  • Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (fourth series/Master Edition):  At least one issue has a variant with duplicate and missing pages.
  • X-Men: Earth's Mutant Heroes: Due to printing errors, some copies have pages in the wrong order and others have the same but also with some pages missing and some duplicated (I have one of each of these unplanned variants). A newsstand version, with pages in correct order has a price that’s $2 more than the Direct Market version.
  • Unidentified  issues in France (Semic), Brazil (Editora Abril), and Germany (Condor Verlag) have unidentified comics with profiles as filler, translated into French, Portuguese, and German respectively
  • Unidentified Greek Spider-Man comic: translated version of the Rom profile from second series (Deluxe Edition) spread over five issues
  • Unidentified newsstand versions of Handbooks (circa 2014): Variants priced $2 more than Direct Market versions

POTENTIAL VARIANTS

• Avengers: Official Index to the Marvel Universe tpb: See below
  • Thor: Official Index to the Marvel Universe tpb: the first trade is missing a page with another page duplicated (the missing page appears in the Avengers: Official Index to the Marvel Universe tpb). Subsequent printings of Thor trade were supposed to correct this. Can anyone confirm that the "variant" with the missing page actually exists? If so, are there also later printings of the Avengers trade without the missing page?

Others?

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (1/08/2020 6:04 am)

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

1/08/2020 6:04 am  #2

Re: Variant Editions - Foreign or Otherwise

Remaining historical text from CxPulp:

zuckyd1
04-02-2014, 06:01 PM

When the Master edition was first released, one of the issues I bought had duplicate and missing pages.

rplass
04-06-2014, 08:17 PM

X-Men: Earth's Mutant Heroes: Due to printing errors, some copies have pages in the wrong order and others have the same but also with some pages missing and some duplicated (I have one of each of these unplanned variants).
Could you be more specific? I have two print error versions but never pinned down how many there are or what they are specfically.

Andy E. Nystrom
04-06-2014, 10:14 PM

rplss wrote:

Could you be more specific? I have two print error versions but never pinned down how many there are or what they are specfically.

I'll be away from my collection the next few days but if I forget, remind me around Saturday and I'll hunt down my copies and go into more detail then.

A ROM Curator
05-07-2014, 09:16 PM

I'm still busy & having fun researching ROM Spaceknight, including how he's represented in Handbooks & internationally, so both of these areas you've mentioned here are of great interest to me.

On US-originating Variants, in trying to collect all versions of ROM's prominent appearances, I'm aware of the following editions of OHOTMU v1 #9, 10 & 15: Newsstand cover, Direct Market cover, Canadian-price cover, and Mark Jeweler insert version (glossy ad spread for jewelry stapled in the center of newsstand-covered books sold on military bases; these comics sometimes can be identified by a tiny color ink stamp the cashier would put on the cover or inside page). I've managed to own Canadian-priced editions of all 3, but no luck finding Mark Jewelers yet; they should exist based on mycomicshop.com having this: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=23533553.

Does anyone know any more about this Test Market version, and if there are any other OHOTMU issues like this or just the one? https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=12772381

Moving on to translated editions...you'll be pleased to know, there are a lot! French comic companies Lug (started in 1987) and Semic (completed in 1995) put out "Encyclopedie Marvel Universe", six thin TPBs of profiles directly translated into French. ROM made the cover of one of them as a piece of clipart from one of his comics; see for yourself at http://issuu.com/yodeo/docs/name2aa394 (if you poke around there, you can browse through all the French handbook volumes; I think they used a mix of profiles from original series up to master editions).

Many countries used Handbook entries as filler, extra features between their serializations of American comic stories. Semic did this in France, publisher Editora Abril did so in Brazil/Portuguese, and Condor Verlag in Germany. I've got five 1987 Spider-Man comics from Greece (Kabanas Hellas printed them weekly) that each have a one-or-two-page article about ROM; combined, they are his Deluxe Edition Handbook profile translated into Greek!

Enjoy, ---A ROM Curator, Gary Martin, Jr.

Andy E. Nystrom
05-09-2014, 07:40 PM

Okay, with space issues in my place, my copy of Earth's Mutant Heroes with the duplicated/missing pages has temporarily been misfiled, but I'll get to that once it turns up. In the meantime, here are the contents of the version with just pages out of order, in the printed order:

Madison Jeffries page 3
Joseph
Kukulcan
Lords of Light and Darkness
Magneto update
Mister Jip
Moon-Boy page 1
Black Womb
Chance
Tom Corsi
Cortex
Crimson Dawn
Devil/Fireflyte
Fred Duncan
Emma Frost update
Grizzly
Halloween Jack
Harvester
Ink
Madison Jeffries pages 1-2
2099 AD (Timestorm)
Albion
Arize
Bamfs
Eli Bard
Beast update
Bird-Brain
X-Cutioner
Zaladane
All the half-pagers except the last two
Saturnine
Shinobi Shaw
Shortpack
Candy Southern
Sunstroke
Tongah
Utopia
Valkyrior
Amelia Voight
Warpies
Wicked
Moon-Boy page 2
Mountjoy
Mystique update
Neo
Professor X update
Kavita Rao
Ravers
Wraith & Xraven half-pagers

rplass
05-09-2014, 08:30 PM

OK I have that version! I actually have two copies

I wonder if it's worth anything, being a misprint and all.

Thanks for the reply!

Sidney Osinga
05-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Also, the newstand versions of the recent Handbooks are variants, at least in terms of cover price. They were usual about $2 more than the direct versions. Also, the newstand version of X-Men: Earth's Mutant Heroes has the pages in the correct order.

RedKnight
05-16-2014, 09:22 AM

I'm posting this in more than one thread just to ensure that the message is seen:

Andy has been displaced due to a fire in his building and currently has no access to his cxpulp account and will be heading out of town shortly afterwards. He will try to catch up before he leaves town if his current situation is corrected before then.

A ROM Curator
06-17-2014, 06:49 AM

*bump* Hey Andy I was hoping for some comment from you on the foreign translations I wrote about, you said you'd love it if they exist.

Andy E. Nystrom
06-26-2014, 07:15 AM

Thank you, ROM Curator. I'm still displaced by that fire Michael mentioned above until early July (plus I was just on a 15-day trip) so I've let my various updating of the different threads slide, but I will add your information to the top off the thread when I have more time to focus on stuff like that.

1/08/2020 6:05 am  #3

It took six years as the two moves helped throw this thread off, but I finally updated the initial post.

9/21/2020 10:52 am  #4

Hey guys,can somebody tell me how I can add a picture ?

9/21/2020 12:32 pm  #5

RVcousin wrote:

Hey guys,can somebody tell me how I can add a picture ?

There is an option in your menu above the place where you type in text for posting. You need to link to a site where the picture is - I use Comicvine, because you can set up an account for free there and upload as many pictures as you like to my account. If I hotlinked to a site where I wasn't the one uploading the pictures, it might get blocked or removed (and besides, hotlinking is rude imo).

8/25/2021 7:28 pm  #6

Are there any other recent newsstand variants besides X-Men: Earth's Mutant Heroes? Since there's one, I'd assume there would be more. And they are probably rarer than the regular direct edition, similar to Ultimate Fallout 4.

8/26/2021 5:18 am  #7

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Are there any other recent newsstand variants besides X-Men: Earth's Mutant Heroes? Since there's one, I'd assume there would be more. And they are probably rarer than the regular direct edition, similar to Ultimate Fallout 4.

I bought my copy of Captain America: America's Avenger at a bookstore.

12/24/2023 4:49 pm  #8

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I doubt that with the amount of translation needed that there are versions translated into other languages (though I'd love it if there were) but maybe there are more other English language variants?

That may or may not have been true when I wrote the above, but the original series has been translated into Spanish and published by Panini as Fichero Oficial del Universo Marvel, published in May of this year. Hardcover
https://www.amazon.es/limited-fichero-oficial-universo-LIMITED/dp/8416986983

Board footera