Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2020 9:49 am  #151

Re: General Comics Trivia

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

This quiz is devoted to Doctor Doom. Due to the nature of the character, some of these questions attributed to him may be unrevealed appearances of a Doombot.
1. For what series was Doctor Doom the lead character in some stories?

I'm assuming you don't mean Doom 2099, Super-Villain Team-Up or the recent Dr. Doom series. 

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. Who was most often his co-star in Super-Villain Team-Up?

Namor.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. Which miniature town did Doctor Doom once trap the Fantastic Four in?

Liddleville.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

4. Which villain was it for a time speculated that Doom might either be related to or actually be?

Kang - which would also mean Immortus, Scarlet Centurion and Rama-Tut.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. Which character may or may not be Doctor Doom in the future?

Doom 2099

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

7. Who was the first character with the Power Cosmic to have their power stolen by Doctor Doom?

Silver Surfer, unless I've overlooked someone earlier.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

8. Whose power did Doctor Doom steal during the first Secret Wars?

Beyonder

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

9. Which superhero went after Doctor Doom for defaulting on a payment?

Luke Cage. There was also Damage Control's accountant, but I don't think he can be counted as a superhero, no matter how brave that was.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

10. A long time goal of Doctor Doom was to rescue his mother from where?

Hell.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. Doctor Doom briefly assumed which hero’s mantle (not including mind transfers)?

Iron Man

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

12. Doctor Doom was for a time a member of which team on the side of good?

Fantastic Four

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

13. Doctor Doom teamed with which DC villain in the second Spider-Man/Superman crossover?

Parasite.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

14. Which alien race gave him the ability to mind transfer?

Ovoids iirc.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

15.  Doctor Doom’s country of Latveria, on the map of the Marvel Atlas can be found where part of which country is in the real world?

Romania

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

16. Other than Doctor Doom’s robots, who believed himself to be Doctor Doom for a time?

Kristoff

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

17. One of Doctor Doom’s robots worked with whom against the X-Men?

Arcade

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

18. What has been heavily implied to be the extent of the damage to his face due to the university explosion he blames Reed Richards for?

Implied, nothing - we saw it. A tiny scar down one side of his face.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

19. The Fantastic Four’s first encounter with Doctor Doom connected the Thing to whose legend?

Blackbeard the pirate.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

20. Which organization went after Doctor Doom for defaulting on a payment, though apparently in this instance it was not intentional on Doom’s part?

Damage Control

8/21/2020 11:47 am  #152

1. I didn't know about the latest Dr. Doom series, but this was an earlier series where it was definitely him in his stories (no ambiguity) and not as a team-up.
12 is incorrect to my knowledge, though the team I'm thinking of has very strong ties to them.

The rest are correct. More comments on the above:
4. I would have accepted any variation of Nathaniel Richards for this answer (though obviously not Reed's father).
7. I'm also unaware of any previous use. In fact I was careful to word it to rule out similarly powerful characters who don't actually used the Power Cosmic specifically.
9. I specifically worded the question to rule out Damage Control for that particular question.
16. Kristoff's full name is Kristoff Vernard.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

8/21/2020 11:56 am  #153

Only four left on the board. If we get a clean sweep, the next round will begin early:
1. For what series was Doctor Doom the lead character in some stories? 20th century, definitely him, not a team-up.
6. According to a Secret Wars toy ad, what did Doctor Doom want to make the Earth? I’ll count the answer right even if you get the number of o’s wrong.
21 (added later than the other questions). Whose "offspring" once infested Doctor Doom's armour?

8/21/2020 12:26 pm  #154

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Only four left on the board. If we get a clean sweep, the next round will begin early:
1. For what series was Doctor Doom the lead character in some stories? 20th century, definitely him, not a team-up.

Astonishing Tales then, since 20th century rules out Infamous Iron Man.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Future Foundation.

8/21/2020 1:02 pm  #155

Those two are what I was looking for. With 1, wording can be sometimes tricky if I don't want to give too much away. I wasn't sure if "anthology series" was too big a clue or not, but that's probably how I should have worded it. With 5, no question that he was part of that particular FF.

8/24/2020 11:03 am  #156

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

17. One of Doctor Doom’s robots worked with whom against the X-Men?

Arcade

That partnership did not end well for the Doombot.

8/27/2020 6:03 am  #157

While I don't always agree with Byrne, this was a good scene. Byrne is right that Doom would be unlikely to let Arcade's own arrogance towards Doom go unpunished. Though it's more likely that the match would have left a temporary mark than even a scratch (which in Doom's mind would still be a serious insult).

Calling a day on the following:
6. According to a Secret Wars toy ad, what did Doctor Doom want to make the Earth? I’ll count the answer right even if you get the number of o’s wrong.
21 (added later than the other questions). Whose "offspring" once infested Doctor Doom's armour?

8/28/2020 5:55 pm  #158

The last two:
A living tooooomb!
Apparently in the world of the Secret Wars toys, that Doom is a nihilist whereas most other incarnations of Doom are conquerors.

21. Whose "offspring" once infested Doctor Doom's armour?
The Impossible Man and Woman's. I used quotes because the way he made the kids (and wife) suggest they may actually be aspects of the Impossible Man. Regardless, this happened in his first Summer Spectacular.

8/28/2020 6:43 pm  #159

This week's topic is on Secret Wars in the 1980s (I'll play grammar Nazi and point out that it should really be Secret War I and II; the plural should be the battles in each war, not the initial two wars themselves). Secret Wars II questions include events that took place outside the core series. Questions ignore retcons that occurred after the 1980s ended. Why didn't I do the first two Secret Wars separately when there are probably enough questions to ask? Because I have one more Secret Wars toy ad question to ask, and this makes it easier to fit it in..

1. In the comic book ad for the Secret Wars toys, how did Captain America respond to Spider-Man asking him what the plan was?
2. In the first Secret Wars, which two heroes played a game with a brain addled Klaw, and which game did they play?
3. In the first Secret Wars, which traditional villain was placed on the heroes' team?:
4. How did many comics lead into the first Secret Wars?
5. Which member of the Fantastic Four was not a participant in the first Secret Wars?
6. Upon arriving on Earth, thus starting Secret Wars II, whose form did the Beyonder initially take?
7. Which Transformers-related character first appeared in Secret Wars II?
8. During Secret Wars II, the Beyonder murderered and revived which team?
9. During the first Secret Wars, who did Colossus become attracted to?
10. Which other character on the heroes' side befriended a new character (beyond random Earth civilians) during the first Secret Wars?
11. In one issue of Secret Wars II, which superhero did the Beyonder try to court?
12.  Who did Scourge shoot in an issue of Secret Wars II?
13. During Secret Wars II, who did the Beyonder cure of cancer?
14. During Secret Wars II, what did the Beyonder offer Daredevil (and temporarily give)?
15. Part of both Secret Wars was the relationship between Molecule Man and who?
16. Which participant in the first Secret Wars was secretly another hero's successor?
17. Which villain using another villain's code name first appeared in the first Secret Wars?
18. Who's arm did Wolverine slice off during the first Secret Wars?
19. Who unwittingly started wearing another character during the first Secret Wars?
20. One of the biggest threats to reality came in Secret Wars II when the Beyonder eliminated which entity in Secret Wars II?
Bonus (not really comics): 21. What ability ranking in the Marvel Super-Heroes Role-Playing Game (Advanced Set) is a nod to the Secret Wars in some fashion?

8/29/2020 12:32 am  #160

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

3. In the first Secret Wars, which traditional villain was placed on the heroes' team?:

Magneto

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. Which member of the Fantastic Four was not a participant in the first Secret Wars?

Invisible Girl (iirc, she was pregnant at the time)

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

6. Upon arriving on Earth, thus starting Secret Wars II, whose form did the Beyonder initially take?

After the composite form? Captain America.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

7. Which Transformers-related character first appeared in Secret Wars II?

Circuit Breaker

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

8. During Secret Wars II, the Beyonder murderered and revived which team?

New Mutants

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

9. During the first Secret Wars, who did Colossus become attracted to?

Zsaji. 

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

11. In one issue of Secret Wars II, which superhero did the Beyonder try to court?

Dazzler.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

12.  Who did Scourge shoot in an issue of Secret Wars II?

Hmm. I know Hate-Monger was shot during a SW tie-in, but I'm probably thinking of the wrong person, because I don't recall for sure if that happened in an actual issue of the miniseries.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

13. During Secret Wars II, who did the Beyonder cure of cancer?

Rick Jones

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

14. During Secret Wars II, what did the Beyonder offer Daredevil (and temporarily give)?

His sight.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

15. Part of both Secret Wars was the relationship between Molecule Man and who?

Volcana

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

17. Which villain using another villain's code name first appeared in the first Secret Wars?

Titania, pinching the Grapplers' member's name.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

19. Who unwittingly started wearing another character during the first Secret Wars?

Spider-Man.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

20. One of the biggest threats to reality came in Secret Wars II when the Beyonder eliminated which entity in Secret Wars II?

Death

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Bonus (not really comics): 21. What ability ranking in the Marvel Super-Heroes Role-Playing Game (Advanced Set) is a nod to the Secret Wars in some fashion?

Beyond

8/29/2020 5:44 am  #161

All those are correct. More notes:

3. Initially her daughter was stillborn, but later reappeared as Valeria.

12. Hate-Monger was in fact killed during Secret Wars II (#2, concluding his arc from Fantastic Four).

13. This occured in the Rom tie-in issue.

14. This occured in Dazzler's own tie-in issue.

19. The symbiote of course is the other character he was wearing, subsequently worn by the various Venoms.

21. The irony of the Beyond category in the game, being the highest ranking, is that in the 1990s, the Beyonder was established to be less powerful than he appeared (the Celestials apparently let him win his fight against them, for example), so none of his own abilities were likely Beyond post-retcon.

9/03/2020 5:40 am  #162

1. In the comic book ad for the Secret Wars toys, how did Captain America respond to Spider-Man asking him what the plan was?
2. In the first Secret Wars, which two heroes played a game with a brain addled Klaw, and which game did they play?
10. Which other character on the heroes' side befriended a new character (beyond random Earth civilians) during the first Secret Wars?
16. Which participant in the first Secret Wars was secretly another hero's successor?

9/03/2020 6:45 am  #163

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Iron Man

9/03/2020 8:39 am  #164

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Iron Man

Correct. At the time, the Avengers didn't all know each others' identities the way they do now, so James Rhodes managed to hide the fact that he wasn't the original Iron Man from the other heroes.

9/03/2020 8:54 am  #165

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Absorbing Man.

9/03/2020 9:05 am  #166

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Absorbing Man.

Correct. Wolverine sliced it off while Absorbing Man was (IIRC) concrete. Luckily for him,he was able to heal by holding the arm to where it should be and reverting to human form.

9/04/2020 6:18 am  #167

Remaining answers:

"That's our secret, Spider-Man!", winking. Apparently that particular Cap was not entirely clear that Spidey was an ally and therefore it was okay to tell him the plan. Actually lookinjg at it again, Spidey aks Cap "How do we stop them" but that's essentially the same thing as asking what the plan is.

Thing (depowered) and Hawkeye played pattycake with Klaw.

At the end of an issue, heroes would investigate a myeterious structure in Central Park, enter it, and vanish. I don't think we ever learned how villains were transported.

Lockheed befriended a female dragon.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (9/04/2020 6:21 am)

9/04/2020 6:55 am  #168

From Marvel’s best known crossover series to DC’s: Crisis on Infinite Earths. A few questions refer to events in other titles, but questions referring to core title refer to the 12-issue series.
1. Who did the Monitor test the All-Star Squadron with in preparation for the Crisis?
2. In the core title, who was the first recurring DC character to die?
3. Who was the first Charlton hero to appear in the core title?
4. Which hero from Earth-6 survived the Crisis?
5. Which hero normally from the present day was in the future when brought into the Crisis?
6. Which member of Easy Company first appeared in the core title, though not for long?
7. Which two Green Lanterns from Earth became active again during the Crisis, and which of the two was not seen in the core title?
8. In the middle section of the core title, how many Earths were left, and which ones?
9. Which two villains masterminded a scheme to take over the above remaining Earths?
10. What is the most likely the first appearance of the Earth in the universe that replaced the multiverse?
11. Which villain shared his power with Superman (Kal-L) in the final battle with the Anti-Monitor?
12. What did the Anti-Monitor say right before killing Supergirl?
13. A heroic version of which villain first appeared during the Crisis?
14. Which hero who died in Crisis #12 was given a different death subsequently?
15. Which Marvel character briefly appeared in the core title?
16. It was later revealed that which character, upon dying in the Crisis, caused their own origin?
17. Crisis established that which two characters were alternate future versions of each other (and which of the two timelines was initially the only one preserved in the Crisis)?
18. Which character was forcibly corrupted into working for the Anti-Monitor but was later freed from control?
19. Which character was recruited into the Monitor’s team but willingly at first switched sides and joined the Anti-Monitor?
20. When Crisis was collected into a hardcover and trade, the defeat of a Shaggy Man was actually switched from having been done from which character to another?
21. Which three heroes died trying to save an out of costume villain in Crisis #12 and which villain?

9/04/2020 7:24 am  #169

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Peter Parker?

9/04/2020 8:21 am  #170

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Peter Parker?

Correct

9/04/2020 8:53 am  #171

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

16. It was later revealed that which character, upon dying in the Crisis, caused their own origin?

Flash, who became the lightning bolt that had empowered him.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

17. Crisis established that which two characters were alternate future versions of each other (and which of the two timelines was initially the only one preserved in the Crisis)?

Tommy Tomorrow and Kamandi; the former was preserved.

9/04/2020 9:09 am  #172

Both of those are correct. Kamandi did later reappear, but at the time he was considered to have been erased from history.

9/10/2020 8:24 am  #173

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

From Marvel’s best known crossover series to DC’s: Crisis on Infinite Earths. A few questions refer to events in other titles, but questions referring to core title refer to the 12-issue series.

2. In the core title, who was the first recurring DC character to die?
5. Which hero normally from the present day was in the future when brought into the Crisis?
6. Which member of Easy Company first appeared in the core title, though not for long?
7. Which two Green Lanterns from Earth became active again during the Crisis, and which of the two was not seen in the core title?
8. In the middle section of the core title, how many Earths were left, and which ones?
9. Which two villains masterminded a scheme to take over the above remaining Earths?
10. What is the most likely the first appearance of the Earth in the universe that replaced the multiverse?
11. Which villain shared his power with Superman (Kal-L) in the final battle with the Anti-Monitor?
14. Which hero who died in Crisis #12 was given a different death subsequently?
18. Which character was forcibly corrupted into working for the Anti-Monitor but was later freed from control?
19. Which character was recruited into the Monitor’s team but willingly at first switched sides and joined the Anti-Monitor?
21. Which three heroes died trying to save an out of costume villain in Crisis #12 and which villain?

2. Superwoman of the Crime Syndicate (Earth-Three)
4. Lady Quark
5. Flash II (Barry Allen of Earth-One)
6. Flower
7. Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner, with Jordan not appearing in the core book (John Stewart was the main GL when COIE #1 was published)
8. Five Earths: One, Two, Four, S, and X
9. Brainiac and Lex Luthor, both from Earth-One (Alexei Luthor from Earth-Two complained that his genius was greater, prompting Brainiac to kill him on the spot while saying, "You are correct.  We do not need two Luthors.")
10. Crisis on Infinite Earths #11
11. Darkseid
14. Dove I (Don Hall, Hank's brother)
18. Harbinger
19. Psycho-Pirate II (Roger Hayden)
21. Kole, Robin I (Dick Grayson of Earth-Two), and Huntress II (Helena Wayne of Earth-Two) died trying to save the Ten-Eyed Man (although he wasn't identified as being the Ten-Eyed Man or that he died until he got an entry in Who's Who's)

9/10/2020 5:58 pm  #174

10 I'm calling Incorrect. My reasoning tomorrow if no one else gets it first. There's at least one comic that preceded Crisis #11 that is almost for sure Post-Crisis.

The rest are correct. More comments:
2. All the Crime Syndicate died, but she was the first.
5. Barry moved to the future to retire at the end of his series.
7. Guy Gardner appeared in a single page that was more an infomercial for the GL title than a key part of the limited series.
9. Two bits that feel off about that for me: Earth-1 Lex wasn't normally the nihilist he seems to be here. Conversely, Aleei,, while not a brilliant schemer like Lex, was a manipulator (we first saw him pitting two countries against each other in a war he orchestrated); I don'[t see him being that rash.
14. In both versions Dove was performing a rescue outside a building. In Crisis #12 he was killed by a Shadow Demon. This was later retconned to part or all the building collapsing on him, as orchestrated by the Lords of Order and Chaos.
21. That bit in Who's Who surprised me too; the tip-off is he seems to be using one of his hands to 'see".

9/10/2020 6:01 pm  #175

Calling a half day on the remaining questions (my Internet was down earlier, or else I'd have calling the day's notice earlier).

1. Who did the Monitor test the All-Star Squadron with in preparation for the Crisis?
20. When Crisis was collected into a hardcover and trade, the defeat of a Shaggy Man was actually switched from having been done from which character to another?

9/11/2020 6:06 am  #176

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Calling a half day on the remaining questions (my Internet was down earlier, or else I'd have calling the day's notice earlier).

3. Blue Beetle/Ted Kord
4. I already answered this one in my previous response (Lady Quark)

9/11/2020 6:34 am  #177

Sorry I missed #4 before. #3 is correct (Blue Beetle made his DC debut in Crisis #1).

The rest:
The Real American. More on him in a later quiz on that team.

First let's establish two things: First off, we're only talking here about stories that can only take place in the Post-Crisis Earth. Stories that remained unchanged due to the Earths merging would be impossible to pinpoint. Also, Crisis #11 came out with a cover date of Feb. 1986, so we're looking for a title published before that.

At first glance Hex #1 might seem like a good candidate. It has a cover date of Sept. 1985  and is generally considered a Post-Crisis series. However, an argument could be made that the first few issues were Pre-Crisis, with the only change being that it went from being a possible future to the only future. So is there a better choice?

The answer lies one month easier, cover date Aug. 1985. Losers Special #1 is listed on the cover as a Crisis crossover, but the Crisis is nowhere to be found inside the story, even though in the Crisis the team was killed by Shadow Demons. The only hint of all of the earlier story is the title, "Losers Die Twice", as this story depicts the team dying under more normal war circumstances. The Official Crisis Crossover Index published by Eclipse explains that this is the Post-Crisis death of the team. I concur as that is really the only way to reconcile the two stories. So barring any earlier still firmly Post-Crisis story that anyone can come up with, as unlikely as it may seem, a war comic offered the first look at the Earth created in the wake of Crisis.

"You turn in battle, girl? That is a fatal mistake!"

Doctor Light

Originally the comic showed Green Arrow destroying the monster. When people worked on the trade they saw this as an error due to the way Green Arrow looked and corrected this to Speedy 9this was mentioned in an interview I saw online many years ago). My belief is they're mistaken and it was actually the Earth-2 Green Arrow, who had a costume that was similar to Speedy's. Since this GA died in Crisis #12, I prefer to think of it as him and not Speedy, allowing a great hero one last victory.

9/11/2020 6:43 am  #178

Questions below all relate to Jack Kirby, so of course, co-creator credits are normally with either Joe Simon or Stan Lee. Obviously he had a hand in some many creations that a follow-up quiz is certainly possible.
1. Which toy line miniseries did Jack Kirby write the first two series of?
2. Which youth team that he co-created had Brooklyn in it?
3.  Which key Fantastic Four related character did Stan Lee concede in one of the origins trades was entirely Kirby’s idea?
4. Who was the first Fantastic Four villain that a fictionalized version of Kirby encountered?
5. Which patriotic hero and sidekick co-creation were satirical in nature?
6. In order to allow him royalties under a new system, DC had Kirby create a new look for whom?
7. Which Marvel duo was created by Kirby as existing in the prehistoric era?
8. What is the real name of the specific version of Manhunter co-created by Kirby?
9. In Kirby’s original run of Eternals, which Marvel character from other titles proved to be a robot?
10. In one of Kirby’s Fourth World titles, one comedian’s twin appeared. What is the name of the comedian and his twin…
11….. and in which title did the twin appear in?
12. As originally created by Kirby, what was the original name for the Contemplator?
13. Who was the last major villain (as opposed to lackeys and the like) created by Kirby for Black Panther’s first ongoing series (so in his own title, not Jungle Action)?
14. In Kirby’s Captain America run in the 1970s, what devices (multiples of one device) drove people crazy and what group was behind them?
15. What was the first Kirby team to appear in Showcase?
16. Aside from the one in question 11, what were the other three comics that comprised the Fourth World titles?
17. Why did Simon and Kirby have to redesign Captain America’s shield?
18. Which co-creation for Archie had a title under his civilian name rather than under his superhero name?
19. What title did his Archie co-creation the Fly first appear in?
20. Which ongoing series with the villain as the lead character did Kirby create for DC?

9/11/2020 8:05 am  #179

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. Which youth team that he co-created had Brooklyn in it?
3.  Which key Fantastic Four related character did Stan Lee concede in one of the origins trades was entirely Kirby’s idea?
4. Who was the first Fantastic Four villain that a fictionalized version of Kirby encountered?
7. Which Marvel duo was created by Kirby as existing in the prehistoric era?
9. In Kirby’s original run of Eternals, which Marvel character from other titles proved to be a robot?
12. As originally created by Kirby, what was the original name for the Contemplator?

2. Newsboy Legion?
3. Silver Surfer?
4. Doctor Doom
7. Devil Dinosaur and Moon Boy
9. Hulk?
12. Mister Buddha?

9/11/2020 8:28 am  #180

2 is incorrect. 12 is close enough (Mister Buda). The rest are correct. Kirby wanted Eternals to be separate from the Marvel Universe (obviously that didn't work out) so the Hulk robot was the compromise.

Board footera