Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2020 6:33 pm  #1

The Comic Book Index - Windows Application

2014 Update!

Been working feverishly over the past year to expand the scope and capabilities of this application to make it unique and easy to use.

Here's some of the major feature changes since the last time I posted:

I've made several major upgrades to the tech behind the database, so it's faster, more efficient, and much more powerful. Some of the major features of interest:

Most all the windows have undergone a revamp so they're larger, the information is better organized, and have a lot of new features.

Character classifications - I've begun adding classifications (i.e. Normal Human, Tech User, Magic User, Mutant, Gamma Mutate, etc) to characters to help with the idea of filtering for character archetypes. This is just getting started, so there isn't a lot of data available yet, but I'm hoping to ramp up the data entry on this part soon.

Related Records - For Characters and Locations, there are now lists of related records. This is a fairly complex background operation that will require more data entry to be fully functional, but it's getting there.

Advanced Filtering Options - Characters and Locations can be filtered down to a specific title or year, so if you're wondering how many issues Spider-Man appeared in during the year 1965, you can find out quickly and easily.

Advanced Searching for Characters and Locations - I've added the option to search for multiple characters simultaneously. For instance, if you wanted to know any books where Captain America, Iron Man and Thor appear together, with a few keystrokes you have a list.

Advanced Searching for Creators - same as with Characters and Locations, you can now search for creative teams. I only include writers and artists in the database, but if you wanted to know all the indexed stories by Chris Claremont and John Byrne, you can find out quickly.

All appearance lists can be dumped to text files so data can be used in other places. I've copy/pasted appearances lists for the Handbook group a few times now.

That's all the major stuff! If you have a chance, you should download the latest version (released yesterday) and check it out! And if you're interested in becoming a contributor, I need eagle-eyed, detail-oriented editors to assist in indexing stories and adding character and location information. We've currently got just over 8,100 stories indexed. I'd like to see that hit 10,000 by the end of the year!

http://comicbookindex.net/

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

12/18/2020 1:16 pm  #2

Re: The Comic Book Index - Windows Application

I know this isnt new news, but seriously, Chris Evans would never have come to mind as the man to be Captain America.  He wouldnt even have been an idea as Steve Rodgers before the serum.

12/18/2020 1:26 pm  #3

Re: The Comic Book Index - Windows Application

The spambots are getting clever. That message almost sounded legit for this forum, if a bit off topic, only I searched their email and they turned up in a CleanTalk spam report.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera