Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2020 8:14 am  #91

Re: TV Series Trivia

Lonewolf36 wrote:

2 Ron Glass
4 Teri Hatcher

2 is correct. Ron Glass was Det. Ron Harris in the police sitcom Barney Miller and Reverend Derrial Book on Firefly.

4 is Incorrect. While Hatcher was on Supergirl, she was only on the show for eight episodes and thus didn't cross the dozen episode threshold.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

9/24/2020 8:37 am  #92

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Hopefully the next quiz will provide a fun change of pace: Each question lists two shows. If I’ve prepared the questions right, one actor, and one actor only (in the gender neutral sense) will have appeared in at least a dozen episodes of both shows. Name the actor. In all cases, I’ve tried to list each each set of two shows in order of which they were in first, though in some cases the shows overlapped before the first show ended (if it has).

7. Electric Company/Oz
10. Fonz and the Happy Days Gang/Benson
13. Laverne & Shirley/Better Call Saul
16. MASH/The Dead Zone
18. Mr. Show/Breaking Bad
25. The West Wing/Mad Men

7. Rita Moreno
10. Didi Conn
13. Michael McKean
16. David Ogden Stiers
18. Bob Odenkirk (sp?)
25. Elizabeth Moss

9/24/2020 2:28 pm  #93

Those are correct.
Rita Moreno played the Director and other characters on the children's show Electric Company and Sister Peter Marie Reimondo, the prison's counsellor on Oz.
10. Did Conn played the time traveller cupcake on Fonz and the happy Days gang and secretary Denise Florence Stevens on Benson
13. Michael McKean played neighbour Lenny Kosnowski on Laverne & Shirley, Saul's brother Chuck McGill on Better Call Saul.
16. David Ogden Steirs played Major Charles Winchester on MASH and Reverend Purdy on the Dead Zone
18. Bob Odenkirk played various characters including fictionalized versions of himself on Mr. Show and Saul Goodman on Breaking Bad
25. Elizabeth Moss played First Daughter Zoey Bartlett on The West Wing and ad agent Peggy Olsen on Mad Men.

9/25/2020 11:20 am  #94

British SF and fantasy TV series trivia.

1. Beginning in the 1950s a British scientist character was the titular star of a number of series and movies, though played by different actors in virtually every new story. Name the character.
2. Name the series about creatures from the past and future invading the present via briefly manifesting temporal portals. It had a Canadian sequel/spin-off. 
3. Name the series about a trio of supernatural creatures all sharing a home together while trying, very unsuccessfully, to just live as normal a life as possible.
4. What was the series about a Victorian adventurer who was frozen and revived in the modern day?
5. Name the series about a present day police officer who suffered a life-threatening accident and woke up to find himself trapped decades ago.
6. What was the name of the series where the contestants taking part in the reality TV show Big Brother find themselves caught up in a zombie apocalypse?
7. Which actor was the lead in a show about spirits of the dead attacking and consuming the living, before moving on to a major role in Agents of SHIELD?
8. Which often surreal comedy show had an episode parodying King Kong, except that instead of a giant ape, it featured a similarly gigantic kitten?
9. Which Umbrella Academy star has played a (particularly foul mouthed) superhuman before? Adding for clarification - we're looking for playing that role in a UK TV show, not an American movie, as it occurs to me that another Umbrella Academy cast member has played both a non-foul mouthed superhuman and a slightly foul-mouthed but non-powered superhero in different movies.
10. Name the adaptation of a Neil Gaiman novel whose cast included Peter Capaldi.
11. Which TV series informed viewers that "trans-uranic, heavy elements may not be used where there is life"?
12. In which TV series did Idris Elba hunt vampires?
13. What character did Jon Pertwee say was his favourite to play?
14. In what TV series was Doctor David Keel the main character?
15. In what year was the moon blown out of orbit?
16. Which individual was convinced by visitations from the three Christmas ghosts to change his ways...and become selfish and miserly? I'm fine with just the surname.
17. In what series was Mr. Teatime the main villain?
18. What series featured flesh-eating zombies trying to reintegrate into human society?
19. What TV series featured the aftermath of a devastating plague that wiped out most of humanity?
20. In what TV series did the lead characters often travel by "jaunting"?

9/25/2020 12:11 pm  #95

Loki wrote:

1. Beginning in the 1950s a British scientist character was the titular star of a number of series and movies, though played by different actors in virtually every new story. Name the character.
16. Which individual was convinced by visitations from the three Christmas ghosts to change his ways...and become selfish and miserly? I'm fine with just the surname.

1. Bernard Quatermass?
12. Luther?
16. Blackadder?

9/25/2020 12:46 pm  #96

zuckyd1 wrote:

Loki wrote:

1. Bernard Quatermass?
12. Luther?
16. Blackadder?

1 and 16 are correct. Quatermass starred in three serials in the 1950s, though very little of two of them survive, since they were broadcast live, just like stage plays, and not (fully) recorded. They actually did have a repeat scheduled for the first one iirc, and the cast basically just did the entire story all over again. The three serials were also adapted into movies by Hammer. Then we got a fourth story in the late 1970s, and then circa 2005 the BBC restaged the original, broadcasting it live again.

16 - the reason I didn't ask for the first name is because Blackadder has covered the story of several generations of that surname, so it can be hard to keep track of which are Edmund, which are Edward, and so on. I believe the Christmas Carol one was Ebeneezer Blackadder, to fit with the general theme. He started out as an exception for a Blackadder, being a good and generous man,  but thanks to the Christmas Ghost drunkenly going to the wrong house and showing him how his ancestors and descendants came out on top by being utter b*st*rds, he changed his ways, which wasn't what the ghost had intended at all.

12 is not correct. Luther is a great show, and quite macabre at times, but has no fantasy or SF elements (at least, not so far).

9/25/2020 5:28 pm  #97

Loki wrote:

3. Name the series about a trio of supernatural creatures all sharing a home together while trying, very unsuccessfully, to just live as normal a life as possible.

Being Human. I've seen all the UK episodes and the first two seasons so far of the Canada version (and plan to watch the rest of the latter). I would say that initially the UK version is the better version, but the Canada version, at least as far as I've gotten to, benefits from the main cast members sticking around longer.

Loki wrote:

5. Name the series about a present day police officer who suffered a life-threatening accident and woke up to find himself trapped decades ago.

Life on Mars; I haven't seen the original version but saw most of the US version and quite liked it

Loki wrote:

The Doctor?

One non-trivia question (I'm honestly asking): Given that what people in Canada and the US call seasons, the British call series, what do the British call what people across the pond call a series, i.e. the entire run of a show?

9/26/2020 12:06 am  #98

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

Being Human. I've seen all the UK episodes and the first two seasons so far of the Canada version (and plan to watch the rest of the latter). I would say that initially the UK version is the better version, but the Canada version, at least as far as I've gotten to, benefits from the main cast members sticking around longer.

Correct. And I'd concur with you - the UK version weakened the season over which it gradually lost the original cast. I do feel the replacements worked well once all of them were in place, but the season where we transitioned between the groups was definitely the weakest. As for the Canadian version, the first season was good, but I feel it really came into its own once they stopped remaking stories from the UK series and began developing their own mythology.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

Life on Mars; I haven't seen the original version but saw most of the US version and quite liked it

Correct. The UK version is better, imo, than the US one, and definitely had a better ending, both in terms of the ending of the original UK series, and the final resolution of the overall story in the sequel series Ashes to Ashes.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Loki wrote:

The Doctor?

Nope, not the Doctor, though that would seem the obvious choice. Pertwee definitely loved being the Doctor, but he has another genre role that, for a time at least, he became better known for, and which he stated was his favourite.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

One non-trivia question (I'm honestly asking): Given that what people in Canada and the US call seasons, the British call series, what do the British call what people across the pond call a series, i.e. the entire run of a show?

Series (which can be confusing) or show. Yes, we use series to denote what the US and Canada call a season, and also series for the entire run. I've dealt with Americans so often I tend to default to using season and series like you guys, simply to avoid confusion. Writing for the handbooks for so long means I tend to auto-translate UK terms to American equivalents as I type, at least when I am aware the UK term is different.

9/28/2020 8:18 am  #99

Calling a day on the following:
4. Desperate Housewives/Supergirl
8. Family Affair/Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
12. Get Smart/The Love Boat

9/29/2020 4:19 am  #100

Remaining answers:
4. Desperate Housewives/Supergirl
Brenda Strong played Mary Alice Young (usually as deceased narrator) on Desperate Housewives and plays Lillian Luthor on Supergirl (while not a regular on the latter she's been in 20 episodes so far and I'm betting she will show up in the final season, given her connections to Lex and Lena)

8. Family Affair/Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
Kathy Garver played Cissy Patterson-Davis (part of the titular family) in Family Affair and Angelica Jones aka Firestar, one of the titular friends in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends

12. Get Smart/The Love Boat
Bernie Kopell was Maxwell Smart's arch nemeses and Kaos agent Siegfried in Get Smart (he appeared in 14 episodes, just enough to pass the dozen threshold; even more if you count follow-ups) and as Dr. Adam Brinker was a series regular on the Boat Boat.

9/29/2020 7:15 am  #101

As with the comics, the latest TV quiz is A-Z, with each answer starting with a different letter of the alphabet, ignoring “The” and the like. For people’s names, use the first name for purposes of alphabetizing

A
Who was youngest kid on Diff’rent Strokes (first and last name; last name may or may not begin with A)?

B
Which rock star appeared on the A-Team?

C
Aside from Automan himself, which electronic character was in every episode of Automan?

D
Which character on Superman: The Animated Series resembled Jack Kirby?

E
This was a recurring character played by Morgan Freeman on the Electric Company

F
What was the congressional candidate put forward by Michael Moore on The Awful Truth?

G
On the season 3 Greatest American hero set, you can find the failed pilot to which planned series?

H
Who was the robot on Get Smart?

I
On Adventures of Superman, what was Bill Henderson’s title?

J
On Dragnet, what was Sgt. Friday’s catch-phrase?

K
Which Doctor Who character appeared (kind of) in the UK version of Queer as Folk?

L
What is the name of the current revived version of the L Word?

M
On which show did the main character claim to be a real pussycat during the night?

N
This was a song sang by Lenny and the Squigtones on American Bandstand

O
This is a popular children’s character long played by Carroll Spinney

P
Who were the pandas on the Brady Kids (one definitely begins with P, the other may or may not)?

Q
On which show could you find a device named Ziggy?

R
Before Lou Ferrigno was cast as the Hulk on The Incredible Hulk, who briefly had the role?

S
Which character on the Muppet Show was an ogre?

T
Which teenage could transform into a sports car?

U
This superhero with his own series was a shoeshine boy when not playing hero

V
In Ernest commercials, who was Ernest always talking to?

W
The first season of which show ended with a character being shot non-fatally

X
On which series could you find Morph?

Y
Who could you find in Jellystone Park?

Z
In which show did the main characters have to reluctantly protect Murphy?

9/29/2020 7:35 am  #102

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

B
Which rock star appeared on the A-Team?

Boy George

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

C
Aside from Automan himself, which electronic character was in every episode of Automan?

Cursor

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

G
On the season 3 Greatest American hero set, you can find the failed pilot to which planned series?

Greatest American Heroine

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

H
Who was the robot on Get Smart?

Hymie

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

J
On Dragnet, what was Sgt. Friday’s catch-phrase?

"All we want are the facts, ma'am." The catchphrase attributed to him "Just the facts ma'am" apparently wasn't used until the movie version.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

K
Which Doctor Who character appeared (kind of) in the UK version of Queer as Folk?

K-9, at a Doctor Who convention

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

M
On which show did the main character claim to be a real pussycat during the night?

Manimal

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Q
On which show could you find a device named Ziggy?

Quantum Leap

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

R
Before Lou Ferrigno was cast as the Hulk on The Incredible Hulk, who briefly had the role?

Richard Kiel

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

S
Which character on the Muppet Show was an ogre?

Sweetums

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

X
On which series could you find Morph?

Take Hart. But you probably mean X-Men: The Animated Series.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Y
Who could you find in Jellystone Park?

Yogi Bear

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Z
In which show did the main characters have to reluctantly protect Murphy?

Z Nation

9/29/2020 7:43 am  #103

Those are correct. K-9 also appears in at least one scene after the convention, as a gift between two characters.

Since the misinformation about Dragnet effectively eliminates it as a J question, replace with: Who played Joel Robinson on Mystery Science Theatre 3000?

9/30/2020 12:53 am  #104

Loki wrote:

2. Name the series about creatures from the past and future invading the present via briefly manifesting temporal portals. It had a Canadian sequel/spin-off. 
4. What was the series about a Victorian adventurer who was frozen and revived in the modern day?
6. What was the name of the series where the contestants taking part in the reality TV show Big Brother find themselves caught up in a zombie apocalypse?
7. Which actor was the lead in a show about spirits of the dead attacking and consuming the living, before moving on to a major role in Agents of SHIELD?
8. Which often surreal comedy show had an episode parodying King Kong, except that instead of a giant ape, it featured a similarly gigantic kitten?
9. Which Umbrella Academy star has played a (particularly foul mouthed) superhuman before? Adding for clarification - we're looking for playing that role in a UK TV show, not an American movie, as it occurs to me that another Umbrella Academy cast member has played both a non-foul mouthed superhuman and a slightly foul-mouthed but non-powered superhero in different movies.
10. Name the adaptation of a Neil Gaiman novel whose cast included Peter Capaldi.
11. Which TV series informed viewers that "trans-uranic, heavy elements may not be used where there is life"?
18. What series featured flesh-eating zombies trying to reintegrate into human society?
19. What TV series featured the aftermath of a devastating plague that wiped out most of humanity?

Bumping the unanswered ones from this quiz. About 2 and a half days to run on this one.

9/30/2020 11:50 am  #105

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

V
In Ernest commercials, who was Ernest always talking to?

Verne

9/30/2020 6:15 pm  #106

Correct. While never on camera (at least in commercials; I don't know if he appeared in any of the movies), Verne has quite the long list of behind the scenes appearances due to the number of Ernest commercials out there.

9/30/2020 6:34 pm  #107

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

D
Which character on Superman: The Animated Series resembled Jack Kirby?

Dan Turpin

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

T
Which teenage could transform into a sports car?

Turbo Teen

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

U
This superhero with his own series was a shoeshine boy when not playing hero

Underdog

9/30/2020 7:21 pm  #108

Those three are correct. Even as a kid I thought that Turbo Teen was a bizarre concept for a show, though as an adult the character interests me more for that very reason..

10/01/2020 5:31 am  #109

Loki wrote:

2. Primeval?
15. 1999 (specifically, in the show Space: 1999)
20. The Tomorrow People? (I'm basing this solely on an ad I saw for the short-lived American remake on the CW Seed)

10/01/2020 7:43 am  #110

skippcomet wrote:

Loki wrote:

2. Primeval?
15. 1999 (specifically, in the show Space: 1999)
20. The Tomorrow People? (I'm basing this solely on an ad I saw for the short-lived American remake on the CW Seed)

Correct on all three. Primeval's Canadian counterpart was Primeval: New World, which shifted the action to Canada, with the final episode including a guest appearance from one of the original series' cast.

Space 1999 was one of Gerry Anderson's few non-puppet TV shows, and is a British show despite the two leads being Americans: Barbara Bain and Martin Landau, then a married couple. I believe the reason that their daughter, Juliet Landau, did such a realistic English accent when playing the vampire Drusilla in Buffy the Vampire Slayer is attributed to her spending some of her formative years in the UK while her parents were living there filming Space 1999. Originally the show, set on a Moonbase after the moon had been blown out of orbit and sent hurtling through the interstellar void, was intended to be the second season of another Anderson show, UFO, but they decided at some point to instead make it a new show instead.

The Tomorrow People was a surprisingly long-running show which aired on ITV, the rival network to the BBC, and was sort of a challenger to the BBC's Doctor Who. The main characters were "Homo Superior," teenagers who had "broken out" and believed themselves the next stage of human evolution, superior to the "Saps." They possessed varying degrees of telepathy and telekinesis, and could teleport, though in the original series they called it "jaunting." It's an interesting show - often cheesy, but not always, and still fun to watch. Future Doctor Who Peter Davison met his first wife, Sandra Dickinson, on the show, in one of the most cringe-worthy stories of the series. It also had one of the best opening themes around, in my opinion. 

It had a 1990s remake series, and then that more recent CW remake, which bears little resemblance to the original beyond the basic concept of teens with powers and a number of shared character names.

Actually, the Space 1999 theme is also pretty darned cool. 

A lot of 70s and 80s British shows had excellent theme tunes.

10/01/2020 9:17 am  #111

Loki wrote:

Adam Adamant Lives

Loki wrote:

Hogfather, adapted from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel. ( and it's pronounced Teh-ah-tim-eh)

10/01/2020 9:52 am  #112

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Loki wrote:

Adam Adamant Lives

Loki wrote:

Hogfather, adapted from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel. ( and it's pronounced Teh-ah-tim-eh)

Both correct. As is the pronunciation note - Teatime's pretty touchy about it. 

10/01/2020 9:53 am  #113

Remaining ones with about a day to run.

Loki wrote:

10/02/2020 10:01 am  #114

Answers

Loki wrote:

Dead Set. They filmed on the actual sets used for the British Big Brother and had the show's real world presenter playing herself - for those who like connections between shows, said presenter also voiced the Big Brother presenter in the Doctor Who episode "Bad Wolf."

Loki wrote:

Iain de Caestecker, on a show called The Fades.

Loki wrote:

The Goodies, which frequently played with SF and fantasy elements during its run.

Loki wrote:

Robert Sheehan, who plays Klaus on The Umbrella Academy, and previously played Nathan Young in Misfits, which featured a bunch of young offenders doing community service (unpaid "volunteer" work in lieu of going to prison for minor offences) who gained superpowers following a freak accident. Well worth checking out if you can. The other actor who prompted the need for a clarifier in the question was Ellen Page, who played Shadowcat in two X-Men movies and Boltie in the movie Super.

Loki wrote:

Neverwhere. Another show worth tracking down - the production values are a bit dated, as it was made on a BBC budget in the 1990s, but the story is excellent, as you might expect from Gaiman.

Loki wrote:

Sapphire and Steel, starring Joanna Lumley and David McCallum as the titular agents. They and other agents were named after minerals and elements, some of whom were listed during the opening sequence, hence the comment about the trans-uranic ones. During the first story someone asked Sapphire how many agents there were, and she replied that there were 127. Steel instantly corrected her, "115. You can't count the transuranics. They're unstable."

It's a brilliant show, and highly recommended if you haven't seen it. Very atmospheric and spooky.

Loki wrote:

Ultraviolet, from the late 1990s. Again, well worth seeking out. Don't bother with the American pilot that was made as an attempt to launch a US version, though Idris is in that, the only UK cast member to be used.

Loki wrote:

He loved the Doctor, but his favourite role was the living scarecrow Worzel Gummidge, to the point that a toy Worzel Gummidge was fixed onto his coffin as part of Pertwee's instructions for his funeral.

Loki wrote:

The Avengers. In the show's first season, he was the lead, and John Steed was intended to be the secondary character. That obviously didn't last, and Steed went on to not only be the unquestioned star but have a bunch of female partners instead of a male one.

Loki wrote:

In the Flesh. Another show worth hunting down if you haven't seen it.

Loki wrote:

Survivors. Originally made in the early 1970s, and later remade in the mid-2000s.

10/03/2020 6:15 am  #115

I'm amending one question:
N
This was a song sang by Lenny and the Squigtones on American Bandstand

The song I'm thinking of was not one of the ones they performed on American Bandstand. So...

This was a song sang by Lenny and the Squigtones on Laverne & Shirley

10/05/2020 6:09 am  #116

Calling a day on the following:

A
Who was youngest kid on Diff’rent Strokes (first and last name; last name may or may not begin with A)?

E

F
What was the congressional candidate put forward by Michael Moore on The Awful Truth?

I

J
Who played Joel Robinson on Mystery Science Theatre 3000? 

L

N

O

P
Who were the pandas on the Brady Kids (one definitely begins with P, the other may or may not)?

W

10/05/2020 4:45 pm  #117

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

O

Oscar the Grouch

10/05/2020 5:55 pm  #118

O is correct.

10/06/2020 6:22 am  #119

The remaining answers:

A
Arnold Jackson (played by Gary Coleman)

E
Easy Reader. Here's Easy Reader's first appearance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9eX2ajK3A4

F
ficus tree; the people Moore talked to were noticeably more hostile to Moore after the election, suggestion that Ficus either won or got a greater number of votes than expected.

I
Inspector

J
Who played Joel Robinson on Mystery Science Theatre 3000? 
Joel Hodgson

L
L Word: Generation Q

N
Night After Night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLTx5ZwJiS0

P
Ping and Pong

W
West Wing

10/06/2020 6:51 am  #120

This quiz is similar to the last one, except all the answers begin with A (for both this quiz and the comic version I’ll be doing both regular quizzes and working my way through the alphabet as the mood strikes me). Ignore “The” and the like. For people’s names, use the first name for purposes of alphabetizing.

1.Dishpan was a character in this show’s final season.
2.Who was the first host of the American version of The Mole?
3.The Jeffersons spun out of which show?
4.Who played a character who adopted the Vic Ferrari persona on Taxi?
5.Science fiction show with one of the main characters played by Desi Arnaz Jr.
6.Walter Steele was a recurring character on which show?
7.This popular 1950s show, one of the first with a black cast is now largely considered to be racist by today’s standards.
8.One of the names for a show featuring Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel
9.On Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Angel’s alter ego.
10.Gamer Pyle first appeared on this show.
11.Bob Saget was the original host of this long running series.
12. The theme to this show began with, “Watch out, ‘cause here we come”.
13. This show featured extraterrestrials called Newcomers
14. One show had a final episode called “The End” expecting cancellation, only the show ended up getting renewed after all.
15, Television network acronym in both the United States and Australia (not spelling out the same)
16.TV show based on the Evil Dead movies
17.Hayley Atwell-led series set in the 1950s
18.Superhero created for the Super Friends
19.Show that shared the same name as a completely unrelated Marvel comics series
20.Popular British show about two wealthy adventurers, though not the same two throughout.

Board footera