Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2020 12:11 pm  #1

All-New OHOTMU A-Z 2006 #7

Historical text from Comixfan:

Eric J. MoreelsApr 18, 2006, 09:33 pm

Coming in July from Marvel Comics...

ALL-NEW OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z #7
Written by JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, MARK O’ENGLISH, RONALD BYRD, ERIC J. MOREELS, STUART VANDAL, SEAN MCQUAID, MICHAEL HOSKIN, CHAD ANDERSON, ANTHONY FLAMINI, ERIC TIMOTHY ENGLEHARD, MADISON CARTER & MIKE FICHERA
Cover by KEU CHA

The Handbook from A to Z rolls on – including bios on Victor Mancha, Margali Szardos, two Mandarins, Marduk, Man Mountain Marko, Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr), Master Khan, Master of the World, two Masterminds, Maverick, Layla Miller, Mimic, Mondo, Morg, Motormouth, Mysterium, Nebula and more! This twelve-issue monthly series focuses on new characters, characters who never received a profile and those needing major updates.

64 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Rayeye

Apr 19, 2006, 02:59 am

Again I'm looking forward to this one!
It's nice to see Master of the World, two Masterminds (I hope at least one of them will be Martinique Jason), Merlyn, Maverick (I guess that's why Bolt wasn't listed under the B), Mondo and Earth-616's Mimic!
And although I'm very happy to see Margali Szardos, shouldn't she be listed under the S?

So on the cover I see Marrow, Layla Miller, Mister Sinister, Mojo, Mandarin, Motormouth, Man-Killer, Merlin/Merlyn, Microbe, MODOK and Mutant 2099.
I don't recognize the bald guy, the guy under Microbe and the guy with an axe.

Eric J. Moreels

Apr 19, 2006, 03:08 am

Rayeye wrote:

two Masterminds (I hope at least one of them will be Martinique Jason)

Maybe... maybe not ;)

Rayeye wrote:

Maverick (I guess that's why Bolt wasn't listed under the B)

Guess so! We always endeavor to list a character by their most recent alias.

Rayeye wrote:

And although I'm very happy to see Margali Szardos, shouldn't she be listed under the S?

I believe she's listed under her alias Margali of the Winding Way.

Rayeye wrote:

So on the cover I see Marrow, Layla Miller, Mister Sinister, Mojo, Mandarin, Motormouth, Man-Killer, Merlin/Merlyn, Microbe, MODOK and Mutant 2099

Got 'em all right except the last one!

Rayeye wrote:

I don't recognize the bald guy

Think son of one of the other cover characters...

Rayeye wrote:

the guy under Microbe

Think long-lasting MU villain who once fought the X-Men...

Rayeye wrote:

and the guy with an axe.

Think gods of Middle Eastern nations...

Rayeye

Apr 19, 2006, 08:05 am

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Got 'em all right except the last one!

No Mutant 2099? .... okay, I've lost.

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Think son of one of the other cover characters...

*think think think* Didn't know Layla Miller had a son....

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

think long-lasting MU villain who once fought the X-Men.....

*think think think* You mean Maha Yogi alias Warlock alias Merlin Demonspawn?

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Think gods of Middle Eastern nations...

*think think think* pfff, I really don't know... a wild guess then: Mangog?

Glorificus

Apr 19, 2006, 11:26 am

I think the bald guy is Temugin (the son of the Mandarin) and the guy with the axe could be the babylonian god Marduk

Rayeye

Apr 19, 2006, 11:43 am

Glorificus wrote:

I think the bald guy is Temugin (the son of the Mandarin)

Only if he has an alias starting with the letter M, otherwise he wouldn't be in this issue.

Glorificus

Apr 19, 2006, 03:36 pm

Did he not use the Mandarin as an alias as well?

Eric J. Moreels

Apr 20, 2006, 05:14 am

Rayeye wrote:

*think think think* You mean Maha Yogi alias Warlock alias Merlin Demonspawn?

Bingo!

Rayeye wrote:

I think the bald guy is Temugin (the son of the Mandarin) and the guy with the axe could be the babylonian god Marduk

Well done, 2 for 2!

(And yes, Temugin has used the name Mandarin, hence his inclusion in this issue.)

jannepie

Apr 20, 2006, 10:35 am

Rayeye wrote:

No Mutant 2099? .... okay, I've lost.

Which one do you mean? The one between Man-Killer and Marduk?

Methinks it's Midnight, former partner of Moon Knight.

Eric J. Moreels

Apr 20, 2006, 05:51 pm

jannepie wrote:

Methinks it's Midnight, former partner of Moon Knight.

Well spotted

jannepie

Apr 21, 2006, 12:18 am

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Well spotted

Thanks!

There seems to be again some characters that I've never heard of, which is one the main points I like the Handbooks.

Gaara of the Sand

Apr 24, 2006, 11:22 am

:omg: What happened to Sinister's costume??? That's way too family friendly for everyone's favorite super-powered Mendle!

Rayeye

Jul 4, 2006, 12:06 pm

Gaara of the Sand wrote:

:omg: What happened to Sinister's costume??? That's way too family friendly for everyone's favorite super-powered Mendle!

IIRC he was wearing this new costume in the last Weapon X series.

William Keogh

Jul 13, 2006, 06:26 pm

I assume the Nebula mentioned here is the grand daughter of Thanos?

Madison Carter

Jul 13, 2006, 07:08 pm

William Keogh wrote:

I assume the Nebula mentioned here is the grand daughter of Thanos?

Alledged granddaughter of Thanos

William Keogh

Jul 14, 2006, 11:32 am

Yes, yes, I know.

Eric J. Moreels

Jul 26, 2006, 10:54 am

Out today!

Plus the bibliography for this issue is now online @ Marvel.com!

http://www.marvel.com/universe/OHOTMU:Bibliography-AZ7

William Keogh

Jul 28, 2006, 05:34 pm

I haven't read all the entries as of yet, but I've liked what I've seen thus far, with the exception of Microbe (Cartman is dead!!!!), but you guys confined him to a half page, fortunately. Nice to see an entry on Morwen too. And while I was reading the entry on the Master of the World, I was amused by the reference to Canadian politicians speaking out against super powered beings in the past. Why? Because I visualized a former and not at all missed Prime Minister making that kind of remark. "Wal, you know, we caan't ave dese people runnin' around and 'urtin' other people like dis. Dat's my job." For those who might be wondering, that's how the Little Guy from Shawinigan talked, so the misspelling is deliberate. To those Americans who think that George W. massacres the English language, well old Jean Chretien made himself incomprehensible in both English and French. But enough of that....

RVcousin

Aug 1, 2006, 11:29 am

Hello,

Very good isue.

I loved the Sinister's, Mojo's, Maverick's, Marrow's, Mandarin's entries.

And I loved the Morlocks entry, but I remark some missing names :

Maverick/Bolt (Gene Nation, Weapon X series)
Strygor (Morlock, Marvel Team-Up 135)
Glass, Pain, Snow, Marilou, Wynter (Gene Nation, Storm LS)

There's maybe a reason behind this missings ?

William Keogh

Aug 1, 2006, 06:39 pm

Excellant issue. Good entries on people like Layla Miller, the Mandarins, Nebula, Marrow, Man Killer. And this is where I've been introduced to Mojo for the first time, a name I've heard off and on for years, but never saw. Without a doubt, the ugliest character in the Marvel Universe, which is saying something, since Doop, the Supreme Intelligence, Wolverine, and Microbe are also hideous. He looks like someone beat him over the head with an ugly stick.

Eric J. Moreels

Aug 1, 2006, 11:44 pm

RVcousin wrote:

And I loved the Morlocks entry, but I remark some missing names :

Maverick/Bolt (Gene Nation, Weapon X series)

My bad. Didn't even think to include Maverick, which is weird since I'd profiled him this very same issue!

RVcousin wrote:

Strygor (Morlock, Marvel Team-Up 135)

That was from the Spider-Man/Kitty Pryde issue, correct? Again, my bad!

RVcousin wrote:

Glass, Pain, Snow, Marilou, Wynter (Gene Nation, Storm LS)

Pain was a name briefly used by Hemingway, Glass was Sack, and Snow was Vessel. Marilou I don't recall, and Wynter wasn't included because it was an android remote operated by the Dark Beast.

Havok-X2

Aug 2, 2006, 02:16 pm

hold up Masque is a woman? The character is referred to as a she in the handbook? I know about the "mask" from X-treme but was the character always just an ugly female before?

Madison Carter

Aug 2, 2006, 02:25 pm

No. If you read the profile, Masque was originally male. It was only after he finally was able to chage his own appearance that he turned into the hot chick.

RVcousin

Aug 2, 2006, 04:28 pm

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Marilou I don't recall, and Wynter wasn't included because it was an android remote operated by the Dark Beast.

According to UncannyXmen.net (http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/pov/sh...q=6&fldAuto=53)
Marilou "was killed by Mikhail as body double for Storm", but I don't remember her to be named.

For Wynter, IMO he was a member, computer or not, he was independant from Dark Beast, no ?

Eric J. Moreels

Aug 2, 2006, 05:51 pm

RVcousin wrote:

For Wynter, IMO he was a member, computer or not, he was independant from Dark Beast, no ?

AFAIK it was a construct remote-controlled by the Dark Beast.

Zach Kinkead

Aug 2, 2006, 08:31 pm

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

That was from the Spider-Man/Kitty Pryde issue, correct? Again, my bad!

Eh, it’s pretty debatable if Strygor and company count as “real” Morlocks anyway. He and the other Warlocks (I believe that’s what they were called, right?) were more of a cannibalistic splinter group than actual Morlocks.

Rayeye

Aug 3, 2006, 04:52 pm

Marilou was mentioned in the Storm LS. Her dead body was also seen in a flashback.

jannepie

Aug 4, 2006, 11:56 am

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

My bad. Didn't even think to include Maverick, which is weird since I'd profiled him this very same issue!

How would he even count as a Morlock?

IIRC Cable's Underground had nothing to do with the Morlocks. My impression was that once Marrow took over the Undergound and turned it into a new Gene Nation, she just brought in a few friends from the original Gene Nation. Once Agent Zero killed most of her new Gene Nation she just returned to Morlocks. Or did I just miss something? What does the Handbook say?

jannepie wrote:

No. If you read the profile, Masque was originally male. It was only after he finally was able to chage his own appearance that he turned into the hot chick.

It's been finally revealed? I wonder what other revelations are waiting for me in this issue. :excited:

Rayeye

Aug 4, 2006, 06:26 pm

Really loved this issue again, especially the profiles of Merlyn, the Morlocks, the Microverse, Motormouth and the Nasty Boys!

By the way, here are some additions and comments:
- Marrow: Since Marrow had served as a S.H.I.E.L.D. assasssin, shouldn't S.H.I.E.L.D. be listed under Group Affiliation then?

- Mastermind (Martinique): she was also a member of the Brotherhood of Mutants during the Dream's End arc.

- Morlocks: Just like Strygor and Marilou is Tobe missing in the membership lists. (Tobe was mentioned and seen in the Storm LS)
By the way, it's nice to see Bulk, Glow Worm and Groonk are finally confirmed as former Morlocks, since IIRC it was never officially stated they were Morlocks.

- From what I know of early topics at the Comixfan Forums, Alan Davis' credits won't listed under his art (which was the case with Feron, Mad Jim Jaspers, and now with Mastermind, Merlyn and Micromax), because some disagreement between Davis and Marvel; but I still think it's a pity, 'cause I can imagine some (or a lot of) Handbooks readers/fans do appriciate it knowing who did the art (at least I do).

I have also a few questions:
- Did you guys (the Handbook writers) came up with the Nasty Boys's real names (besides Kris Anderson and Suggs which were already mentioned in the comics) or did their creator, writer Peter David?

- since the names of some members of the London Morlock community weren't mentioned on panel in Uncanny X-Men, could anybody tell me which of the pictured mutants in those Uncanny issues were Compound, Croc, Warthog and Simian?

Havok-X2

Aug 5, 2006, 07:47 pm

jannepie wrote:

I just looked at the Handbook from back in the 80s and for Masque it says the sex is unrevealed. Under powers it says: With her touch, Masque can alter the facial features of any person but his or her own. Interesting

Madison Carter

Aug 6, 2006, 12:03 am

Havok-X2 wrote:

I just looked at the Handbook from back in the 80s and for Masque it says the sex is unrevealed. Under powers it says: With her touch, Masque can alter the facial features of any person but his or her own. Interesting

At the time, I believe it was still unconfirmed, but several comics since then have established him as originally male.

Eric J. Moreels

Aug 6, 2006, 01:58 am

jannepie wrote:

How would he even count as a Morlock?

Not a Morlock as such, but he did join Gene Nation, which was a splinter group of the Morlocks.

Eric J. Moreels

Aug 6, 2006, 02:01 am

Rayeye wrote:

By the way, it's nice to see Bulk, Glow Worm and Groonk are finally confirmed as former Morlocks, since IIRC it was never officially stated they were Morlocks.

Don't have my notes at hand, but I'm pretty sure it was implied that Bulk & Glow Worm were cast out from the Morlock community.

Rayeye wrote:

- since the names of some members of the London Morlock community weren't mentioned on panel in Uncanny X-Men, could anybody tell me which of the pictured mutants in those Uncanny issues were Compound, Croc, Warthog and Simian?

They're 4 of the Morlocks that confronted Mister Clean when he attacked their community. Compound is the one with fly-like eyes, Croc the crocodilian one, Warthog the boar-headed one, and Simian the ape-like one. I thought it was really cool that Marvel let us name them, just like Forearm and Longneck before them.

jannepie

Aug 6, 2006, 12:18 pm

Not a Morlock as such, but he did join Gene Nation, which was a splinter group of the Morlocks.
When was Maverick II part of this Gene Nation? I have a feeling that I've missed something, I only remember him being part of Underground.

Rayeye

Aug 13, 2006, 02:25 pm

I read at the www.marvunapp.com site that Skitter (not the Lilin one) of the Shadow Cabinet was also a Morlock, and appeared in Moon Knight vol. III #53. I don't have that issue, so could anyone tell me if it is true this Skitter character was indeed a Morlock?

Eric J. Moreels

Aug 14, 2006, 08:30 am

jannepie wrote:

When was Maverick II part of this Gene Nation? I have a feeling that I've missed something, I only remember him being part of Underground.

He joined Gene Nation after Marrow coopted Cable's Underground. He accepted her offer to join with the secret intent to dismantle the organization from within.

jannepie

Aug 14, 2006, 02:50 pm

Thanks! I remember some of it now.

jannepie

Dec 16, 2007, 09:08 am

I'm catching up on my reading and I'm middle way through #7 now. This issue has been awesome! The choice of entries suited me especially well this time, because most of the profiles gave me a lot of new information and were very well written.

Andy E. Nystrom

Feb 5, 2010, 09:44 pm

List of Changes in Hardcovers

Anyone not in the 7th hardcover is covered in this list for the first time (so Ms. Marvel-on except Mastermind/Wyngarde).

Victor Mancha
Hardcover Volume: 7
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: Identity and Known Relatives revised. History and Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised/expanded (though some less key History bits removed). Strength and Durability on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: None

Mandarin
Page Count: increased from 2 to 4
Text Changes: Aliases & Occupation revised. Until last paragraphy, History somewhat revised and expanded, with new text weaving in and out of old text; new paragraph added before second last paragraph; final History paragraph revised and expanded, then 2 new paragraphs added at end. Hair revised. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded. Speed on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: Main illo now secondary; one secondary illo removed, the other converted to the Eliot R. Brown rings stats from Marvel Universe#15. New main illo, 10 new secondary illos (7 captioned).

Mandarin (Temujin)
Page Count: Unchanged from 1
Text Changes: Aliases revised. End of 2nd History paragraph abridged; final sentence in last paragraph replaced with new expanded text. Hair revised.

Man-Killer
Page Count: Unchanged from 2
Text Changes: None
Graphic Changes: new captioned secondary illo

Marduk
Text/Graphic Changes: None

Margali of the Winding Way
Text Changes: Known Relatives and Group Affiliation expanded. 1st History paragraph a little expanded, last 2 merged.

Man-Mountain Marko
Text Changes: Occupation revised. 4 sentences added to end of History. Abilities/Accessories more quantified.

Marrow
Page Count: increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Group Affiliation and Education revised. Old History replaced with new expanded text. Abilities/Accessories mostly revised, particularly but not limited to changing the tense.
Graphic Changes: 3 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Marvel Boy
Now Listed As: Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr)
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History mostly (but not completely) revised/expanded. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded. Note added
Graphic Changes: Old main illo now secondary/cropped, old secondary illo removed; new main illo and new captioned secondary illo. Note added

Masque
Text Changes: Occupation, Group Affiliation revised. History and Abilities mostly (but not completely) revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Old main illo now secondary. New main illo and new captioned secondary illo.

Master Khan

Master of the World
Text Changes: Group Affiliation tweaked. History and Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded, though a lot of old text still present. Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: Main illo now secondary and one of the secondary illos now main illo.

Mastermind (Computer)
Text Changes: First 2 History paragraphs merged. Abilities/Accessories expanded.
Graphic Changes: Main illo now captioned, new captioned secondary illo.

Alicia Masters
Text Changes: New small final History paragraph.

Maverick
Now Listed As: Maverick (Bentley)
Text Changes: Aliases slightly expanded

Mephista
Text Changes: Speed on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: main illo reversed.

Mercy

Merlin Demonspawn

Merlyn
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: History greatly revised, with new text weaving in and out of old text. New Note paragraphs (1 each) added before and after the old one, which is tweaked.
Graphic Changes: 4 new secondary illos (1 captioned)

Metal Master
Text Changes: Place of Birth clarified. Skin stat removed.
Graphic Changes: Secondary illo replaced with two new ones (1 captioned).

Micromax
Text Changes: 1st 2 History paragraphs merged; final History sentence replaced with a lot of new text. Final Abilities/Accessories sentence replaced with new one. Fighting Skills increased on Power Grid.
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos.

Microverse
Text Changes: some History paragraphs merged. 3rd last paragraph expanded

Midnight
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History greatly revised/expanded, though a lot of old text still present. Eyes revised. Abilities/Accessories slightly revised.
Graphic Changes: Old main illo now captioned secondary, one secondary illo removed. New main illo and 4 new secondary illos (2 captioned).

Midnight Sun
Text Changes: First Appearance revised.
Graphic Changes: 1 new captioned secondary illo.

Layla Miller
Text Changes: Group affiliation revised. History greatly revised/expanded, thoughy a lot of old text still present. 2 sentences added to end of Abilities/Accessories.
Graphic Changes: 3 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Mimic
Text Changes: Final History sentence revised.
Graphic Changes: New captioned secondary illo.

Mr. Sensitive
Now Listed As: Mister Sensitive
Text Changes: Final History sentence tweaked.
Graphic Changes: Main illo less cropped. Old secondary illo replaced with 2 new captioned ones.

Mister Sinister
Page Count: Unchanged from 3
Text Changes: Aliases and Known Relatives revised. History almost completely revised (some original text still present). Abilities/Accessories replaced with new expanded text.
Graphic Changes: 3 of the 4 secondary illos now captioned, 2 new captioned secondary illos.

Mistress Love
Text Changes: Speed revised on Power Grid with corresponding note

MODOK
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives, Group Affiliation revised. New sentence added to end of old final History paragraph, then 4 new paragraphs added. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded. Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: Old Tarleton headshot replaced with new one; another secondary illo captioned. 6 additional captioned secondary illos added, including of some variants

Mojo
Text Changes: 3rd and 4th History paragraphs merged; new sentence added to end of 2nd last and last paragraphs; possibly a few other bits added. End of first Abilities/Accessories paragraph slightly expanded.

Mondo
Graphic Changes: Main illo reversed, caption removed from secondary illo.

Morg
Text Changes: 2nd History paragraph split in 2, with a half sentence added to the end of the new 2nd paragraph.

Morlocks
Text Changes: Sub-groups of Morlocks now converted into sub-headings of Known Members instead of given separate rows; Extremists sub-group added to Known Members and First Appearance. History greatly revised/expanded, though a lot of old text still present.
Graphic Changes: Headshots expanded from 48 to 92, including new sub-sections for London and Chicago communities, but power descriptions removed; Headshots changed for Caliban and Skids.

Motormouth
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Place of Birth and Known Relatives revised. History and Abilities/Accessories revised/expanded (some original text still present).
Graphic Changes: 3 new captioned secondary illos

Ms. Marvel
Hardcover Volume: 12
Now Listed As: Sharon Ventura
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Text Changes: Aliases, Occupation revised. Last phrase in History removed, replaced with new phrase then another sentence.

Mysterium
Hardcover Volume: 8
Text Changes: Aliases tweaked. Abilities/Accessories paragraphs reordered
Graphic Changes: The uncaptioned secondary illo now captioned; new captioned headshot

Nasty Boys
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Graphic Changes: New captioned headshot

Nasty Boys
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo

Master Hate
Page Count: Unchanged at ½
Text Changes: History mostly revised/expanded. Last Abilities/Accessories sentence replaced with new one

Mastermind
Now Listed As: Mastermind (Martinique Wyngarde)
Page Count: Increased from ½ to 1
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories replaced with new expanded text.

Microbe
Text Changes: Occupation and Known Relatives revised. History greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Illo reversed

Modulus
Text Changes: Abilities/Accessories rewritten/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Illo reversed

Morwen
Text Changes: History greatly revised/expanded. Speed on Power Numbers revised
Graphic Changes: new captioned headshot

Phantazia
Hardcover Volume: 9

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera