Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2020 1:59 pm  #1

Questions that Handbook Writers Probably Can't Answer

Historical text from Facebook:

Andy Nystrom
June 8, 2018 3:28 pm
This thread is for questions that you're wondering about but which Handbook writers probably can't give an answer to, because the answer has never been revealed in a comic. So unlike the General Q&A thread, these are for questions you're not expecting a definitive answer to.
Starting question: In the first USAgent mini-series, a Scourge killed someone in flashback while Priscilla Lyons tailed him. Whom did he kill? Sadly we'll probably never know if Gru had anyone specific in mind, and to my knowledge no other writer has picked up on this plot thread.
Also, why do characters age at different rates (Julie Power and Cassie Lang seem to have aged faster than most adults). Likely Franklin related somehow, but never confirmed.
Reply 1.
Luke Van Horn
This would likely apply to a lot of questions about licensed characters or intercompany crossovers, right?
Reply a.
Andy Nystrom
Handbook writers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine it depends on if the answer was put into print prior to losing the license. If the answer to a question is found in, say, Savage Sword of Conan #78 or Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man, I don't see why they couldn't cite that and answer the question.
Reply b.
Luke Van Horn
Yeah, I meant asking questions that aren't explicitly answered on the page
Reply c.
Andy Nystrom
Yeah, those are likely a source of a lot of potential questions. Also cases involving a Marvel-owned character with no active profile and not under any editor's domain for quite some time. Top Dog or Petey the Pest, for example.
Reply d.
Luke Van Horn
Yeah. A prime example: is the Lizzie character in Little Lizzie volume 1 the same character as the Lizzie in Little Lizzie vol. 2? They don't look anything alike and have different supporting casts, but it would be weird to relaunch the series just a couple years after the first volume ended with the same title but entirely different characters.
Reply e.
Andy Nystrom
And in interviews, it's been said that Petey grew up to be Henry Peter Gyrich, but this has never been confirmed in a Marvel story.

My photostream (over 5.6 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

1/09/2020 2:02 pm  #2

Re: Questions that Handbook Writers Probably Can't Answer

New questions:

Did 9-11 occur later in the Marvel Universe given that it's only been about a dozen years since Fantastic Four #1?'

How we reconcile the compressed timeline with the Christmas stories that show up most years? Surely Christmas doesn't happen multiple times a year in the Marvel Universe.

My photostream (over 5.6 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera