Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2020 8:38 pm  #1

OHOTMU: Marvel Zombies: The Book of Angels, Demons & Various Monstrosi

Historical text from Comixfan:

Sidney Osinga
Sep 1, 2007, 07:01 pm

I assume that the Damballah covered is the voodoo one and not the son of Set. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that Set will be covered since there has been very few appearences of him since Atlantis Attacks. However, he might figure into the Mystic Arcana cross-over. Also, I wonder if the Marvel Zombies entry will be for a team or an universe? I'm thinking it will be an universe one. I also assume that the entries for Demons, Angels, Werewolves, and Vampires will be race entries.

Madison Carter
Sep 1, 2007, 11:09 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I assume that the Damballah covered is the voodoo one and not the son of Set. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that Set will be covered since there has been very few appearences of him since Atlantis Attacks. However, he might figure into the Mystic Arcana cross-over. Also, I wonder if the Marvel Zombies entry will be for a team or an universe? I'm thinking it will be an universe one. I also assume that the entries for Demons, Angels, Werewolves, and Vampires will be race entries.

Set is very prominent in the background of Mystic Arcana, notably the Marvel Tarot book.

Rayeye
Oct 10, 2007, 04:21 pm

I want to say that I really love this handbook! I really liked the great entries of Angels and Demons.
I have also a few questions regarding the demon classes:
- To which demon class belong human beings who turned into demons, like Belasco?
- To which demon class belong the Adversary?
- Could Umar and Dormammu be considered as (extradimensional) demons?

Rayeye
Oct 10, 2007, 07:13 pm

Just for those who are interested, here are some demons who didn't make it to the demon list in the Demon entry (no offense):
- Baba Yaga (and perhaps her daughters as well), enemy of Captain Britain
- Baba Yaga imposter, enemy of Illyana Rasputin
- Demon under London from Excalibur #100, although I think he doesn't have officially a name yet
- Beleth and Raziel, grandparents of Sybil
- Bottle Imp
- Brad and Roger, giant snakes in Otherplace/Limbo
- Dark Rider from Marvel Team-Up vol. I #42
- Demon of the Dunes
- Demon Shade
- Dreamstalker, Nightmare's steed
- Energumen, servant of Nightmare
- Executioner, demon agent of Hela (nót Skurge) from Thor #35-43
- the Feeders
- Gleeg from X-Men: Magik #2
- Grief-Savor
- Griffins, summoned by Apocalypse (Demon-Fire)
- Hellfire Serpent
- the Imps
- Kagrok the Killer, created by Mephisto
- Knights of Haded, demon agents of Mephisto
- Kyrii, demon creatures from the Shadowqueen's realm
- Nightmare Owl
- Predator, demon from the Dark Dimension
- Ravager of Worlds/Imhotep
- Synraith, who fought the X-Men and Clan Destine

And just some from Earth-928 (2099 A.D.):
- Dyptherion
- Tiamat

Of course I could have overlooked some of them in the large entry [img]file:///E:/To%20Move%20to%20External%20Hard%20Drive/MU/OHOTMU%20%20Marvel%20Zombies%20-%20The%20Book%20of%20Angels,%20Demons%20&%20Various%20Monstrosities%20%231_files/smile.gif[/img]

Madison Carter
Oct 12, 2007, 06:00 am

Rayeye  wrote:

I want to say that I really love this handbook! I really liked the great entries of Angels and Demons.
- To which demon class belong human beings who turned into demons, like Belasco?

I would imagine they would be Class 2, similar to how the spawn of the Class 1 demons are Class 2. Gotta love that Class 2, it's kind of a catch all for everything that isn't either an original Elder God or extraterrestrial/extradimensional in nature. If Adversary really does belong in some way to ancient Native god/godling territory and degenerated into a demon, then he's 2 as well.  -

Rayeye  wrote:

Could Umar and Dormammu be considered as (extradimensional) demons?

At one point (notably during the time of the Deluxe Edition), at least Dormammu was. However, he ultimately fits almost none of the characteristics of a true demon, extradimensional or not.

Roger Ott
Oct 12, 2007, 10:28 am

Looking through the picture list of demons, I noticed that the blob-like Asmodeus has a first appearance listed of Ghost Rider #53 (1981). Then the fuscia-colored humanoid Asmodeus has a first appearance shown of Tomb of Dracula #2 (1979). Shouldn't these be reversed? The humanoid Asmodeus has his own full entry a few pages earlier, and his first appearance is listed as Ghost Rider #53.

Based on the text list that follows the picture list, you could have made an entire issue just out of demons, I'd wager. Great stuff!

Sidney Osinga
Oct 12, 2007, 07:01 pm

Rayeye  wrote:

Belasco was listed as type three since he controls an extradimensional realm (page three of the entry, paragraph two). The Adversary makes sense as type two because of his/its connection to the native gods.

Rayeye
Oct 13, 2007, 12:04 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Belasco was listed as type three since he controls an extradimensional realm (page three of the entry, paragraph two).

So, does that mean that humans who turned into demons are type three?
Because as far as I know, only extradimensional/extraterrestrial demons are type three.

Sidney Osinga
Oct 13, 2007, 06:58 pm

Rayeye  wrote:

So, does that mean that humans who turned into demons are type three?
Because as far as I know, only extradimensional/extraterrestrial demons are type three.

I don't know, that's just what the handbook said about him. I had actually thought that he was type one since he got his powers from the N'garai and ultimately Chthon. Maybe there needs to be more than three types of demons.

jannepie
Jan 2, 2008, 12:42 pm

I haven't had the chance to read this book yet, but I went through the list of entries last night and it was awesome! This will be the next handbook I'll read (I have quite a few in line...). It must have been hard work to put together profiles for angles, demons, vampires, werewolves... There were also some characters I had never heard of, which is always a big plus.

gorby
Jan 17, 2008, 07:01 pm

Will there be a bibliography for the Angels online ? Cause I don't find when appear Lusa Gregor and Todyquiel.

jannepie
Jan 20, 2008, 01:51 pm

I've really enjoyed the entries I've read so far. :cheers:

One thing caught my eye though. In Belasco's entry, Margali's daughter (aka Amanda Sefton/Magik) is named "Jermaine", but shouldn't it be "Jimaine"?

Stuart V
Jan 20, 2008, 09:43 pm

jannepie wrote:

I've really enjoyed the entries I've read so far. :cheers:

One thing caught my eye though. In Belasco's entry, Margali's daughter (aka Amanda Sefton/Magik) is named "Jermaine", but shouldn't it be "Jimaine"?

Yes, it should be Jimaine.

jannepie
Jan 26, 2008, 07:55 am

Another thing. Lucifer's entry says that "following his defeat, Lucifer and his lieutenants Beelzeboul, Kazann, Malachi, Olivier, Pazuzu, Xaphan and others were all cast down to Hell as punishment."

Is this the same Malachi that was seen in the Ghost Rider mini in 2005? Like Kazann's entry mentions, that Malachi was still an angel in Heaven for a long time afterwards.

jannepie
Feb 2, 2008, 12:04 pm

Yet another thing. In the second paragraph of the Angels entry, it is mentioned that Shamhat of Akah Ma'at became Earth's second Sorcerer Supreme. The name Shamhat sounds familiar, but wasn't this particular member of Akah Ma'at named Saraswati in the Marvel Tarot?

Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 17, 2010, 10:52 pm

List of changes in hardcovers

Angels
Hardcover Volume: 1
Page Count: Unchanged at 3
Text Changes: Andy the Angel moved up in the text; new paragraphs on the Malakim and the Spirit of Christmas
Graphic Changes: None

Armorer
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text/Graphic Changes: None

Asmodeus

Azazel

Belasco
Page Count: Unchanged at 2

Damballah
Hardcover Volume: 3

Darkhold
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: First History paragraph split in 2; final paragraph revised and expanded.
Graphic Changes: 9 new captioned illos (5 with first appearances). Other headshots with first appearances increased from 15 to 18.

Demons
Page Count: Increased from 8 to 9
Text Changes: History paragraph beginning “Demons of the third class…” merged with previous paragraph (some additional rewriting) including new sentence at end. New sentence at end of paragraph starting with “Certain demons feed…” Final two paragraphs merged. List of unpictured demons revised.
Graphic Changes: Four new illos with first appearances. First appearances added to three existing captions. Headshots expanded from 120 to 150 (note that some headshots were removed because their first appearance is in the earlier illos.

Hellfire
Hardcover Volume: 5

Kazann
Hardcover Volume: 6
Text Changes: Energy Projection on Power Grid revised

Lucifer
Text Changes: Final History sentence replaced with new one. Speed on Power Grid tweaked.

Marvel Zombies
Hardcover Volume: 7
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: New sentence added to end of first Traits paragraph; last sentence of 3rd paragraph replaced with new one. First History paragraph abridged; last sentence of 3rd last paragraph replaced with 2 new ones; between 3rd and 2nd last paragraph, new large one added; 2nd last paragraph revised; final History sentence replaced with new one, followed by 4 new paragraphs. New sentence added to end of 2nd Note paragraph.
Graphic Changes: Main illo now captioned; 2 new captioned secondary illos.

Pazuzu
Hardcover Volume: 8

Pluto
Hardcover Volume: 9
Text Changes: History somewhat expanded, with new text weaving in and out of the old text. Final sentence in Abilities/Accessories removed. Intelligence and Fighting Skills on Power Grid removed.
Graphic Changes: 1 secondary illo removed.

Satan
Hardcover Volume: 10
Text Changes: Minor History revisions, including the final sentence being replaced with a new one.

Set

Seth
Text Changes: Occupation and Known Relatives revised. History somewhat revised, especially on the first page. Minor History revisions, including the final sentence being replaced with a new one.
Graphic Changes: 1 secondary illo removed

Vampires
Hardcover Volume: 12
Page Count: Increased from 5 to 7
Text Changes: Known Members revised. Traits greatly revised/expanded, especially in the former 2nd page. History also greatly revised/expanded. Note considerably revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Main illo now captioned. The 2 B&W illos now coloured. New captioned secondary illo. 54 new headshots with the issue they first appeared as a vampire.

Werewolves
Hardcover Volume: 13
Page Count: Increased from 5 to 7
Text Changes: Known Members revised. Traits somewhat revised. History somewhat revised overall, greatly in the first 2 paragraphs. 2 sentences added to 2nd last Note paragraph.
Graphic Changes: 4 new secondary illos (1 captioned by itself, 3 sharing a caption). 34 new headshots with the issue they first appeared, or first appeared as a werewolf, possibly both (unsure if any of them appeared prior to their affliction).

Zarathos
Hardcover Volume: 14
Text Changes: Minor History changes (1st 2 paragraphs merged, Spider-Man’s alter ego added). Note added.

Brain
Hardcover Volume: 2
Page Count: Unchanged at ½

Lord of Death

Lurking Unknown

Nox
Hardcover Volume: 8
Text Changes: Aliases, Known Relatives revised.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera