Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2020 3:09 pm  #1

Revealed for the First Time in a Handbook (and if it "Took")

I thought it would be fun to note information that was revealed for the first time in the various Handbooks and whether the info "took" or not.

Took:

• OHOTMU (first series) #1: In the Alpha Flight entry, Marina and Puck are mentioned for the first time, with head shots of both
  • OHOTMU (Deluxe Edition) #2: Captain America’s Hotline and Van are first seen in their respective entries
  • OHOTMU (Deluxe Edition) #3: The Death-Throws and most members (except Oddball and Bombshell) are shown for the first time in the Death-Throws entry

Didn’t Take:

• OHOTMU (first series) #10: Whizzer as chemist Hiram Arnold was reworked into mailman Stanley Stewart in the Squadron Supreme entry
  • OHOTMU (first series) #13: As they were not used for decades later, the real names given for members of Freedom’s Five were not used.
  • OHOTMU (Deluxe Edition) #3: A new costume for Cyclops was dropped after appearing in his entry.

Remains to be seen:

• OHOTMU A-Z hardcover 3: Real names given for various members of the Corps
  • Iron Manual Mark 3: Various concepts in the Project Pegasus entry bear a striking resemblance to names of Who Watches the Watchers participants

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (1/13/2020 3:12 pm)

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

1/14/2020 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Revealed for the First Time in a Handbook (and if it "Took")

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Didn’t Take:

• OHOTMU (first series) #13: As they were not used for decades later, the real names given for members of Freedom’s Five were not used.

Right comment, but wrong book in terms of revealing it. The only members named in the original OHOTMU were the ones already named in the comics; the handbook reveal of other names came later. 

Though I can't recall which books originally revealed most of them, the handbooks have been the original source for quite a few secret identities, most of which have been subsequently reaffirmed in the comics - Rhino's, Bushwacker's, etc.

1/14/2020 1:29 pm  #3

Loki wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Didn’t Take:

Right comment, but wrong book in terms of revealing it. The only members named in the original OHOTMU were the ones already named in the comics; the handbook reveal of other names came later. 

Though I can't recall which books originally revealed most of them, the handbooks have been the original source for quite a few secret identities, most of which have been subsequently reaffirmed in the comics - Rhino's, Bushwacker's, etc.

Vampires: The Undead handbook revealed most of the Freedom Five's real names.

1/20/2020 6:08 am  #4

Coldheart, a minor Spider-Man foe. When she was profiled in Spider-Man: Back in Black in 2007, she'd had a grand total of two appearances (Spider-Man I#49 and Civil War#1), not counting flashbacks to her demise in the second of those. We'd not been informed of her real name, and knew very little about her background. Noticing that while in her first appearance her skin tone had been very light most of the time
there had been others when she'd appeared a little more tanned

and that she'd likewise maintained that slightly darker skinned look in her second, seemingly final appearance

I recalled reading someone online pointing out that all of the mainstream Native American comic book characters tended to be mystic types with totemistic powers - basically, stereotypes. There are some great characters in there, and there are a few exceptions to this statement, but there's a lot of truth to that comment. And I thought to myself that there was nothing in her continuity that had established Coldblood's ethnicity, and it'd be nice to buck the aforementioned trend, albeit with a minor and now dead character. 

With permission from relevant parties, Coldblood was named Kateri Deseronto, and her birthplace was chosen as Fonda, New York. All were chosen as hints that she was a Mohawk, though the profile deliberately never explicitly stated this. Instead, it was very much an Easter egg for those who might put the clues together. Fun fact: Originally I suggested the surname Brant, which is also apparently a common Mohawk surname; that was an attempt to be even more subtle about her heritage, since it was likewise a name not uncommon among those of European descent. Then one of the other writers correctly pointed out that with that surname, someone would inevitably assume she was related to Betty Brant. I'd been so focused on Coldblood, the fact that Brant was already the name of a major Spidey supporting cast member hadn't entered my mind.

Anyway, the profile went to print and I thought nothing of it. Until the Marvel Holiday Special 2011 came out, and there was Coldblood in a story that revolved around her Mohawk heritage.

Board footera