Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2020 2:38 am  #301

Re: Gotta catch 'em all challenge #19 Independent Live Superheroes/Quasi-S

215 Kimberly Hart/Pink Power Ranger, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

11/29/2020 2:43 am  #302

251 Kat Hillard/ (2nd) Pink Ranger, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Zeo Ranger 1 Pink, Power Rangers Zeo/Pink Turbo Ranger, Power Rangers Turbo. In the collage depicted in Zeo Ranger costume.

11/29/2020 2:51 am  #303

292 Tommy Oliver. He was - deep breath here - Green and later White Ranger and later White Ninja Ranger, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, then Zeo Ranger V Red, Power Rangers Zeo, then Red Turbo Ranger of Power Rangers Turbo, then Black Dino Ranger, Power Rangers Dino Thunder. He's the one-man Ranger team.

I wouldn't normally go for fan art to depict a character, but there's no other way to show all his variants in one image.

11/29/2020 2:53 am  #304

328 Tom Oliver (clone of Tommy)/Green Ranger, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

11/29/2020 2:57 am  #305

326 Jason Lee Scott/Red Ranger, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Gold Zeo Ranger, Power Rangers Zeo

11/29/2020 3:02 am  #306

373 Tyranno Ranger, Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger or Rocky De Santos/ (2nd) Red Ranger, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Zeo Ranger III Blue, Power Rangers Zeo. Again, when in full costume, it's hard to distinguish the Americans from their Japanese forebears.

11/29/2020 3:26 am  #307

264 Megaloman, Megaloman series

11/29/2020 3:32 am  #308

364 Iron Sharp (Space Chief in the US), Invasion of the Neptune Men

11/29/2020 3:35 am  #309

339 Hentai Kamen, HK: Forbidden Superhero

11/29/2020 3:35 am  #310

334 Orgazmo, Orgazmo

11/29/2020 3:37 am  #311

335 Lou Garou/WolfCop, WolfCop

11/29/2020 3:42 am  #312

275 Rat Pfink, 315 Boo Boo, Rat Pfink a Boo Boo

11/29/2020 3:46 am  #313

276 Black Lightning, Black Lightning (2009 Russian movie)

11/29/2020 3:50 am  #314

250 Planet Prince (aka Prince of Space), Planet Prince

11/29/2020 3:53 am  #315

236 Flashman, Flashman movie

11/29/2020 6:39 am  #316

55 Yoshie, RoboGeisha movie

11/29/2020 6:51 am  #317

78 Victory Man, Sidekick (2005 Canadian movie)

11/29/2020 6:58 am  #318

122 El Chicano, El Chicano movie

11/29/2020 7:14 am  #319

337 Emily, Mirror Girl

11/29/2020 7:50 am  #320

Those are all correct except that 34 is Spade Ace, not Space Ace. Space Ace was too busy performing in a rock band and fighting a phantom in a park to join another team.

For the Power Ranges in full costumes, i always meant the American versions, as that's what a Power Rangers wiki page sent me to. I watched maybe ten minutes of Power Rangers in the 1990s and my mind refused to let me watch any more, so I was relying on what a Power Rangers wiki sent me to. I also used that site for a number of groups mentioned (sometimes misnamed IIRC but close enough for a keyword search to find them) in Jeff Rovin's Encyclopedia of Superheroes. It was obvious from the suite that I could have added quite a few more similarly brightly garbed superheroes, but they were threatening to overwhelm the collage so I decided to limit what made it in, which is why for example other incarnations of the Power Rangers themselves were excluded. Something had to give there, so I decided that only characters from the Americanized first Power Rangers series and anyone from the Encylopedia counted. Actually, while I figured there was probably a version of the first Power Rangers series without American actors, I knew by that point that I was putting a cap on such characters and didn't verify that at the time.

Hentai Kamen's code name in English is Pervert Mask, which alone would have guaranteed him a spot on this collage even if I had decided to whittle down the numbers.

Orgazmo was the second movie, pre-South Park by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, and while i like their earlier movie, Cannibal! The Musical even more, it's still a lot highly recommended. A wise move is that the main character, despite all the messed up stuff that happens in the movie, maintains a lot of his core values throughout.

Sidekick (2005), not to be confused with a lot of similar movies, is another great indie gem. It's best watched knowing as little as possible about the movie in advance.

WolfCop, while a bit crude, is also a nice action/horror movie. I haven't watched the second movie yet, but the first does a nice job of setting specific rules regarding the villains. Unusually it's filmed in Saskatchewan. A large percentage of Canadian movies are filmed in British Columbia, Ontario, and, for francophone movies, Quebec, so it's nice to see a movie set in a Canadian province that's not as well known for movies. I think the SK setting adds to the feel of the movie.

The main reason I did that bonus offer was I have Asperger's, so seeing so many extreme coloured characters was becomign distracting. That said, it was fun creating a bonus challenge so here's another: There are quite a few versions of one superheroine in this collage. Grab all instances of her and you can pick off 35 instead of 30 total. As before, offer good until taken or split off too much.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

11/29/2020 8:29 am  #321

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

For the Power Ranges in full costumes, i always meant the American versions, as that's what a Power Rangers wiki page sent me to. I watched maybe ten minutes of Power Rangers in the 1990s and my mind refused to let me watch any more, so I was relying on what a Power Rangers wiki sent me to.

You needed the Super Sentai wiki instead. 
http://supersentai.com/

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

It was obvious from the suite that I could have added quite a few more similarly brightly garbed superheroes, but they were threatening to overwhelm the collage so I decided to limit what made it in, which is why for example other incarnations of the Power Rangers themselves were excluded. Something had to give there, so I decided that only characters from the Americanized first Power Rangers series and anyone from the Encylopedia counted. Actually, while I figured there was probably a version of the first Power Rangers series without American actors, I knew by that point that I was putting a cap on such characters and didn't verify that at the time.

There were a staggering fifteen Sentai teams before the one that got used as the basis for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Super Sentai began in Japan eighteen years before the US took up the idea. We're on the 43rd (!) iteration of the show in Japan now. 

While the Sentai make my head spin with the sheer number of iterations, I find the concepts intriguing. They and other tokusatsu ("special filming" - shows with lots of special effects) series often reboot every year with new costumes and cast, at least partially a way to (a) sell new toys and (b) avoid actors becoming so popular they can demand higher salaries. This has led to a plethora of series with an overarching theme - Sentai (teams), Ultraman, Kamen Rider (Masked Rider), etc.

The similar costumes that the teammates share means fewer molds needed for the toylines - usually one per team, just add a different head and spray them a different color. And with so many shows, inevitably there have been crossovers between them, and anniversary years have spawned nostalgia crossovers where past versions of a given hero meet the current ones. 
And they liberally pinch ideas from one another. Grow giant to defeat your opponent? That was Ultraman's trick first. Summon a giant robot to defeat an opponent who has just grown in size? Believe it or not, that started with Spider-Man and his robot Leopardon.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Hentai Kamen's code name in English is Pervert Mask,

That's basically just a literal translation of his Japanese codename as far as my limited knowledge of Japanese understands.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

That said, it was fun creating a bonus challenge so here's another: There are quite a few versions of one superheroine in this collage. Grab all instances of her and you can pick off 35 instead of 30 total. As before, offer good until taken or split off too much.

I know which heroine you mean - I was holding off on her because there are so many adaptations that trying to figure out which one was which is going to be a major challenge!

11/29/2020 9:33 am  #322

Loki wrote:

I know which heroine you mean - I was holding off on her because there are so many adaptations that trying to figure out which one was which is going to be a major challenge!

1. Curious which heroine is being talked about.
2. Does a little online research.
3. Decides to let Loki deal with her.

11/29/2020 2:31 pm  #323

Loki wrote:

No worries if you find it easlier to just tackle her bit by bit in regular rounds of 30 (where if you make a wrong guess, it's just a matter of trying again later). I hadn't heard of her before making this collage myself, but once I had, it was tempting to do multiple versions. Unlike the various Super Sentai types, there's only one character to deal with rather than a team, so (like Zorro) she was less likely to clog up the collage while still having multiple versions.

I suspect that while more Super Sentai will make it into the next iteration of this collage in 2021, a lot will be held over until 2022 or later. This is one body of water I want to dip my toes into very slowly.

11/29/2020 2:50 pm  #324

A few more challenges (and you can only pick one challenge per round; if there's overlap in your responses between challenges, go with the highest number).
1. For all remaining characters who are live action versions of animated characters on the same show (all but one are from the same series), you can do 33.
2. If you can pick off all the remaining Troma characters (all have appeared in the same movie even if they've also been seen elsewhere) you can also do 33 (there are fewer of these than the above, but this one is tougher if you don't know Troma movies)
3. If you can pick out two characters from the same movie that was so bad that I couldn't finish it, you can do 32 (even if you're not sure of my tastes, there aren't many movies left on the board with exactly two main characters). If you go with this challenge, pick 30 at first and wait for me to greenlight before picking the other two as there is at least one other duo on the board.

11/29/2020 4:09 pm  #325

81 Dracula, 117 Bruce W Wolf, 151 Frank N Stein, Monster Squad TV series

11/29/2020 4:13 pm  #326

162 Glorious Gal, Kid Super Power Hour

11/29/2020 4:14 pm  #327

125 Weatherman, Kid Super Power Hour

11/29/2020 4:16 pm  #328