Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2020 4:13 am  #421

Re: Gotta catch 'em all challenge #19 Independent Live Superheroes/Quasi-S

193 Spider-Girl, Spider-Girl (Nigerian TV series)

12/03/2020 4:28 am  #422

Correct. I believe the full title is Mysterious Spider-Girl but that's the character.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

12/04/2020 5:17 am  #423

More clues (second last set of clues so one way or another the next round begins Sunday at the latest):
14 and 50 are a pair, the lead characters of one movie. What's another word for a pair? Both of their two word code names begin with the letter B, and for one of them the second word in their code name also begins with the letter B; their code names aren't part of the movie's title
29 may be B&W but also a horse of a different colour. Western superhero from a serial; titular character
41 is the remaining Troma character; in the movie he was in, like other superheroes in an ersatz team, the main villain made short work of him, so not the main or titular character
110 is from the same children's show as a number of other characters already found; not the series' main character
127 is a main character but under his alter ego. Like Super Grover, Captain Pureheart, etc his alter ego is a lot more notable than his superhero identity; alter ego is the titular character of a children's show
233's insignia is a major clue; titular character in two movies, but it's debatable whether he's the main character or even met the main characters.
283 has the same name as a later Marvel character, or rather similarly themed characters; another Western serial superhero; titular character
431: I'm trying to avoid having things spoiled for myself (her movie sounds interesting) so I'm being careful what I know about her, but she's not the only super-character in her movie; movie title has a number sign and a colon in it, in that order; she's the lead character but not part of the title

12/04/2020 5:34 am  #424

12/04/2020 5:39 am  #425

283 Phantom Rider, 1946 Phantom Rider serial

who shouldn't be confused with the Phantom Rider of the 1936 Phantom Rider serial

12/04/2020 6:17 am  #426

Those two are correct. I didn't notice there were two of the Phantom Riders. Just goes to show the inevitability of two superheroes sharing the same code name. Had those two not been found, the last clues would have been that I don't know about the horse but the hero is looking a bit red; and the hero, like the Marvel versions has a ghostly motif

12/04/2020 7:37 am  #427

41. Master Bator

12/04/2020 7:51 am  #428

41 is correct (imdb spells it Master-Bater). The final clue would have been that his name and powers are a bit rude even by Troma standards. You didn't mention the movie, but I'll still allow it because I had previously mentioned that remaining Troma characters were all from the same movie, which makes it Citizen Toxie.

12/05/2020 6:56 am  #429

The final clues!

14 and 50 are a pair, the lead characters of one movie. What's another word for a pair? Both of their two word code names begin with the letter B, and for one of them the second word in their code name also begins with the letter B; their code names aren't part of the movie's title. The movie was intended to show the characters not at their best (and succeeded because I stopped watching mid way). Using the trailer I found on IMDB to rrefresh my memory, it appears they were intended to either be or be preceived as ambiguously gay.
110 is from the same children's show as a number of other characters already found; not the series' main character; the other characters found were puppets but he's a real boy
127 is a main character but under his alter ego. Like Super Grover, Captain Pureheart, etc his alter ego is a lot more notable than his superhero identity; alter ego is the titular character of a children's show. His alter ego was a mayor; he was so popular in real life that the city most of the shows were based out of has a statue of him as well as part of a street named after him.
233's insignia is a major clue; titular character in two movies, but it's debatable whether he's the main character or even met the main characters. Aside from minor differences such as the presence or absence of a hyphen, at least three comic characters on both sides of the law have the same codename
431: I'm trying to avoid having things spoiled for myself (her movie sounds interesting) so I'm being careful what I know about her, but she's not the only super-character in her movie; movie title has a number sign and a colon in it, in that order; she's the lead character but not part of the title. According to the start of the imdb description, "A battered wife leaves her husband to become a super hero..."

12/05/2020 8:33 am  #430

431 Furie, The Crusaders #357: Experiment in Evil

12/05/2020 8:35 am  #431

233 Catman, Catman in Lethal Track

12/05/2020 8:45 am  #432

110 Alphaboy, Sesame Street

12/05/2020 9:03 am  #433

Those are correct. Catman is a particularly bizarre case. Basically footage of him and his foes was intercut with a couple of Asian (Thai?) movies, one in Lethal Track, one in Boxer's Blow. The Asian material (which comprises the bulk of each movie) appears to have nothing at all to do with the Catman material. I don't know if Catman was intended to be a standalone movie at some point, or if the footage was always intended to be spliced into the Asian material to try to sell it. Regardless, the editors make no real attempt to make the Catman material and the Asian material look like they were shot for the same movie. On YouTube you can find attempts to do edits with just the Catman material, with one brave person even trying to edit the Catman material from both movies into a cohesive chronological order. So they've bad movies, but bad in a rather interesting way.

Only three left, two of whom are from the same movie!

12/05/2020 9:30 am  #434

127 Mayor Art (Mayor Art's Almanac)?

12/05/2020 12:44 pm  #435

127 is incorrect, but you still have 29 guesses left for today.

12/05/2020 1:34 pm  #436

127 Pretty sure it's not this one, but he is the titular mayor on a children's show.
H.R. Pufnstuf

12/05/2020 2:24 pm  #437

14 Best Man and 50 Buddy Boy, Duo (2001 movie)

12/05/2020 2:40 pm  #438

127 is incorrect as surmised. 14 and 50 are correct, however. I thought of saying I didn't find them all that dynamic, but I decided that as far as clues go, that would be a little *too* on the nose.

12/06/2020 5:39 am  #439

I decided to allow a few more clues with the last one, but only for a few more hours. The new round will begin soon.
127 is a main character but under his alter ego. Like Super Grover, Captain Pureheart, etc his alter ego is a lot more notable than his superhero identity. His alter ego was the titular character of a children's show. His alter ego was the Mayor of the City Dump. His alter ego was so popular in real life that the city most of the shows were based out of, Seattle has a statue of him as well as part of a street named after him. His face looks almost the same in and out of costume (because we're talking about the character, not the actor).

Remember, you need both the superhero identity (not his alter ego) and the show he was on.

12/06/2020 5:55 am  #440

127 Superclown (J.P. Patches), The J.P. Patches Show

12/06/2020 6:17 am  #441

That's it (actually spelled Superklown but close enough).

Here are a couple of photos I took of the statue J. P. Patches & Gertrude: Late for the Interurban in 2012. As chance would have it, that particular visit happened just after Chris Wedes, who played JP passed away, hence the flowers, etc

As this photo shows, he even had his own action figure:

Board footera