Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2020 7:07 am  #1

Avengers Now! (New Handbook for December 2014!!)

Historical text from CxPulp:

JusticeGMH
09-16-2014, 09:23 AM
AVENGERS NOW!
THE OHOTMU TEAM, LED BY MIKE O’SULLIVAN & JEFF CHRISTIANSEN (w)
Cover by SARA PICHELLI
• The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe is back with 64 pages of all-new profiles!
• Every new member: Angela! Captain Universe (Devoux)! Nightmask (Adam)! The Superior Spider-Man! And more!
• Enemies: The Apocalypse Twins! The Black Order! Magnitron! A.I.M.’s Scientist Supreme, Andrew Forson!
• Allies: Nick Fury! Phil Coulson! Nova (Sam Alexander)! Avengers Underground’s Hazmat!
• The entire Avengers roster makes an appearance thanks to an Update Appendix for every single member!
64 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99 Handbook (Sorry...if it's inappropriate for me to start a thread...mods, feel free to edit as needed.) :Love Eyes: :Love Eyes: :Love Eyes:

Stuart V
09-16-2014, 09:28 AM

JusticeGMH wrote:

AVENGERS NOW!
THE OHOTMU TEAM, LED BY MIKE O’SULLIVAN & JEFF CHRISTIANSEN (w)
Cover by SARA PICHELLI
• The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe is back with 64 pages of all-new profiles!
• Every new member: Angela! Captain Universe (Devoux)! Nightmask (Adam)! The Superior Spider-Man! And more!
• Enemies: The Apocalypse Twins! The Black Order! Magnitron! A.I.M.’s Scientist Supreme, Andrew Forson!
• Allies: Nick Fury! Phil Coulson! Nova (Sam Alexander)! Avengers Underground’s Hazmat!
• The entire Avengers roster makes an appearance thanks to an Update Appendix for every single member!
64 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99 Handbook (Sorry...if it's inappropriate for me to start a thread...mods, feel free to edit as needed.) :Love Eyes: :Love Eyes: :Love Eyes:

Not inappropriate - you just beat me to it.

Angelicknight
09-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Extremely pleased to see this!

JusticeGMH
09-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Stuart V wrote:

Not inappropriate - you just beat me to it.

I was just SO EXCITED!!!

vanhornluke
09-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Oh, sweet!!!

Eduardo M.
09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
oh HELL YEAH!!!!

Sidney Osinga
09-16-2014, 12:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33iJpxf-eDE
Just change "grow your roses" to "new Handbook"

Eduardo M.
09-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33iJpxf-eDE
Just change "grow your roses" to "new Handbook"

That would be my reaction if not for the fact I don't want to give my girlfriend's dog a seizure

zuckyd1
09-16-2014, 04:47 PM
I wonder how much of Angela's previous history will be mentioned or alluded to.

Blue_Shield
09-16-2014, 07:32 PM
WOOT! So excited about this.

Sidney Osinga
09-16-2014, 08:43 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

I wonder how much of Angela's previous history will be mentioned or alluded to.

I assume that it will be covered in board strokes, much like when events that dealt with DC or Image have been mentioned in the past.

I also assume that we'll finally see an entry for Nikki, who is the only member of the Avengers not to have been covered in the modern series (excluding new members of course). I also hope that, while the book will cover newer characters and updates, there will still be a few entries about obscure characters.

Finally, the cover: http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...NNOWHB_cov.jpg

Andy E. Nystrom
09-16-2014, 09:07 PM

JusticeGMH wrote:

(Sorry...if it's inappropriate for me to start a thread...mods, feel free to edit as needed.) :Love Eyes: :Love Eyes: :Love Eyes:

This moderator is too busy noticing that there is a new Handbook coming out to care who posted the thread

Seriously, though, I concur with Stuart: if it's relevant to these boards, that's what really matters. The only time I don't want someone starting a new thread is if it's a general question that could easily be covered in the Q&A thread, or if it's news about a 1-page entry that's best covered under Sightings, that sort of thing. If it's about a Handbook or about a book with with significant amount of Handbook pages, go for it. Ditto indices and similar material.

Andy E. Nystrom
09-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Looking at the Never Been Kissed Threads, here are some candidates among characters who last got entries in the 1980s, listed by first entry (not meant to be complete, just the ones that really grab me):

Various individual Squadron Supreme members not yet covered (Contest of Champions 1-3, etc)
Europe and the Balkan States (v1#4)
Kang's Time Ship (v1 #6)
Living Monolith (v1#6)
Manhattan (v1#7)
Wrecker (v1#12)
Olympus (Deluxe #9)
Vault (Deluxe #14)
Various individual Zodiac members not yet covered (tpb#10 for androids, Deluxe #20 etc for humans)
Dominus ('89 #2)
Red Ronin (Master #17)
Hangman (Roland; Log)
Kubik (Log)
Priests of Pama (Log)
Thunderball (Master #17)

Sidney Osinga
09-16-2014, 10:26 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Looking at the Never Been Kissed Threads, here are some candidates among characters who last got entries in the 1980s, listed by first entry (not meant to be complete, just the ones that really grab me):

Hangman (Roland; Log)

He has gotten an entry, in both the Horror Handbook and vol.5 of the trades.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Kubik (Log)

Has been covered as an aspect of the Beyonder, so I assume it'd be high unlikely.

However, I think Red Ronin may be a possibility since it was cut from #5 of the last update series.

mal32
09-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Hooray! Yippee!! Ye-haaa!!! (hell-yeah!!!)

mal32
09-16-2014, 10:46 PM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I also assume that we'll finally see an entry for Nikki, who is the only member of the Avengers not to have been covered in the modern series (excluding new members of course). ...

I 100% agree!!!

akippcomet
09-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I assume that it will be covered in board strokes, much like when events that dealt with DC or Image have been mentioned in the past.

I also assume that we'll finally see an entry for Nikki, who is the only member of the Avengers not to have been covered in the modern series (excluding new members of course). I also hope that, while the book will cover newer characters and updates, there will still be a few entries about obscure characters.

Finally, the cover: http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...NNOWHB_cov.jpg  

Is that actually the cover? I swear I saw that artwork a few weeks ago as an expression of how much the Marvel Universe is changing in the next few weeks (female Thor, AXIS, Falcom as Cap, etc.). Is Medusa an Avenger now?

Sidney Osinga wrote:

[Hangman (Roland)] has gotten an entry, in both the Horror Handbook and vol.5 of the trades.

That's the second Marvel Hangman. The Hangman being referenced is Harlan Krueger, last covered in OHOTMU Deluxe Edition #18 as part of the Book of the Dead (unless he was included in the Master Edition and I forgot.)

Sidney Osinga
09-17-2014, 09:30 PM

skippcomet wrote:

That's the second Marvel Hangman. The Hangman being referenced is Harlan Krueger, last covered in OHOTMU Deluxe Edition #18 as part of the Book of the Dead (unless he was included in the Master Edition and I forgot.)

Right, it is the second Hangman, but if you check Andy's original post, you'll see that's the one he referred to. As for an entry for the original (Krueger), I think it's unlikely since he hasn't appeared in a while and is only tangentally related to the Avengers (as an enemy of Spider-Woman) and this book seems to be focused on newer characters and updates of major ones, but not entirely impossible as previous Handbooks have covered characters like that. Personally, i wouldn't mind seeing the entry, but we'll get what we get.

JusticeGMH
09-18-2014, 01:45 PM

skippcomet wrote:

Is that actually the cover? I swear I saw that artwork a few weeks ago as an expression of how much the Marvel Universe is changing in the next few weeks (female Thor, AXIS, Falcom as Cap, etc.). Is Medusa an Avenger now?

Not as of right now at least. That was originally used as a promo image for the Avengers Now! initiative. I'd assume Marvel's not particularly interested in spending more money on commissioning another image for the cover, so they'll just use it...but maybe the real image just wasn't ready yet and they used this as a placeholder.

toddcam
09-18-2014, 02:52 PM
WONDERFUL! I give myself credit, because correlation = causation, and my arrival was the harbinger. Obviously.

rplass
09-18-2014, 04:33 PM
This is awesome news. I will definitely be getting this. I hope this means we get more handbooks now!!!

mal32
09-19-2014, 06:33 AM

rplss wrote:

This is awesome news. I will definitely be getting this. I hope this means we get more handbooks now!!!

I hope it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy E. Nystrom
09-20-2014, 07:42 AM

ToddCam wrote:

WONDERFUL! I give myself credit, because correlation = causation, and my arrival was the harbinger. Obviously.

So all we need now is someone else to return after a long absence and declare that they stopped reading Marvel comics after the Index books ended and everything will be back to full speed again!

zuckyd1
09-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Personally I blame toddcam for taking so long to find us—the long drought might have ended sooner! :lol:

akippcomet
09-20-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm curious as to how big the Update Appendix will be. There are a LOT of Avengers members who a) haven't had an updated entry, b) didn't get covered in the Softcover Update Appendixes since the Softcovers were cancelled after Volume 5, and c) joined an Avengers team after they were last covered in an entry. The casts of Uncanny Avengers (including X-Men characters Havok, Rogue, and Sunfire) and Mighty Avengers (including Blue Marvel, Blade, White Tiger, and Power Man), Eric O'Grady, the Guardians of the Galaxy-691, and more, in theory should be included -- but will they? Heck, doing an update on Spider-Man/Peter Parker alone might need an entire Handbook....

toddcam
09-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately, I did pick up the final index trade for Wolverine well after I stopped collecting comics. Sorry, guys.

Stuart V
09-21-2014, 02:05 AM

skippcomet wrote:

I'm curious as to how big the Update Appendix will be. There are a LOT of Avengers members who a) haven't had an updated entry, b) didn't get covered in the Softcover Update Appendixes since the Softcovers were cancelled after Volume 5, and c) joined an Avengers team after they were last covered in an entry. The casts of Uncanny Avengers (including X-Men characters Havok, Rogue, and Sunfire) and Mighty Avengers (including Blue Marvel, Blade, White Tiger, and Power Man), Eric O'Grady, the Guardians of the Galaxy-691, and more, in theory should be included -- but will they? Heck, doing an update on Spider-Man/Peter Parker alone might need an entire Handbook....

I think I am okay to confirm - the update appendix will include the characters who only became Avengers upon joining Uncanny Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers AI, etc.

Blue_Shield
10-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Stuart V wrote:

I think I am okay to confirm - the update appendix will include the characters who only became Avengers upon joining Uncanny Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers AI, etc.

Thanks for that, this can't get here soon enough.

Sidney Osinga
11-04-2014, 11:20 PM
So in one of the recent Comic Shop News, this book was described as "a 64-page oneshot profiling a plethora of new characters, both allies and adversaries." This has me worried that the book will contain profiles of only newer characters. Don't get me wrong, I'll take any Handbook I can get, but if it is the case, that means older characters like the Executioner, Nikki, Red Ronin,and Triton will be overlooked again. Also, part of the charm of the current series is that fact they cover obscure character who haven't appeared in decades, and the book would be lacking something if none appeared. Anyone got an opinion on this?

Stuart V
11-05-2014, 09:28 AM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

So in one of the recent Comic Shop News, this book was described as "a 64-page oneshot profiling a plethora of new characters, both allies and adversaries." This has me worried that the book will contain profiles of only newer characters. Don't get me wrong, I'll take any Handbook I can get, but if it is the case, that means older characters like the Executioner, Nikki, Red Ronin,and Triton will be overlooked again. Also, part of the charm of the current series is that fact they cover obscure character who haven't appeared in decades, and the book would be lacking something if none appeared. Anyone got an opinion on this?

Older characters are included, including at least one of the ones you mentioned.

Stuart V
11-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Though we normally play stuff close to the chest, I think I am okay to say that we completed proofing and corrections for the Avengers Now handbook today. First ever profiles for more than 20 characters, teams and realities, updates for some others who have undergone major changes since their last entries, and a few more scrubbed off our Never Been Kissed list.

Will there be more to follow? Only time, and sales, will tell.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Here are some guesses:
Avengers Arena and/or Murderworld. While Avengers: Arena wasn't really an Avengers series it was branded as such and did get a fair amount of comics media attention
Secret Avengers updates
Age of Ultron is a likely candidate for an alternate reality especially with the movie of the same name coming out
Invaders update since there is considerable shared membership and they have a new series
Rangers
Dominus and/or its minions
Whizzer (Squadron Supreme)
Dr Spectrum (Squadron Supreme)
Red Ronin (assuming the circumstances that caused his pulling before are no longer in effect)

Hope sales are great. it occurs to me now that the cover, assuming she had an update, should have had She-Hulk in the front threatening to rip up people's X-men again if they don't buy the Handbooks. i mean, it worked once before, right?

toddcam
11-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Anybody have any advice on how to buy this without pre-ordering it through a comic store? Is there a way to buy it online?

JusticeGMH
11-20-2014, 09:06 PM

ToddCam wrote:

Anybody have any advice on how to buy this without pre-ordering it through a comic store? Is there a way to buy it online?

I'd guess some of the major online comics retailers like Midtown Comics or New England Comics would have it available for order. I also found a pre-order on Ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVENGERS-NOW...item3f3f4c5ec7

ultrabasurero
12-04-2014, 05:32 PM
I hope this comes with the free digital code so I can read it on my phone.

Andy E. Nystrom
12-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Just did a check on the specific week: December 17. So not next week but before Christmas.

mal32
12-06-2014, 01:59 AM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Just did a check on the specific week: December 17. So not next week but before Christmas.

Long days to wait

Andy E. Nystrom
12-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Hopefully out tomorrow. Marvel.com still has it listed as tomorrow. Various sites have previews of every Marvel comic coming out and this isn't included, but that might not be seen as a comic per se.

Angelicknight
12-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Should be out tomorrow Diamond Comics still has it listed for tomorrow and they tend to be fairly accurate.

Eduardo M.
12-16-2014, 12:28 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Hopefully out tomorrow. Marvel.com still has it listed as tomorrow. Various sites have previews of every Marvel comic coming out and this isn't included, but that might not be seen as a comic per se.

I think I've only seen a handbook previewed once or twice. The format doesn't seem to lend itself to previewing

Sidney Osinga
12-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Trust me, it's out tomorrow.

Angelicknight
12-17-2014, 07:28 AM
It came out today covering...

Abyss (Builders) - 1/2
Ai Apaec - 1
Alexis the Protector - 1/2
Anachronism - 1
Angela - 1
Apoalypse Twins - 2
Avengers Update - 6
Avengers Update Appendix - 9
Avengers Initiative (1959) - 1
Black Order - 1
Black Swan (Tarru) - 1
Cancerverse (Reality-10011) - 3
Captain America (Wilson update) - 1
Captain Universe (Devoux) - 1
Monica Chang - 1/2
Phil Coulson - 1
June Covington - 1
Deathlok (Hayes) - 1/2
Doombot - 1/2
Ex Nihilo - 1/2
Executioner (Skurge) - 2
Andrew Forson - 1
Nick Fury (Modern) - 1
Hazmat (Takeda) - 2
Hyperion (Earth-13034) - 1
Inferno (Pertuz) - 1/2
Magnitron - 1
Manifold (Fesi) - 1
Medusa (Boltagon update) - 1/2
Miss America (Chavez) - 1
Nightmask (Adam) - 1
Nikki - 3
Nova (Alexander) - 2
Silver Sable (Ernst Sablinova) - 1/2
Smasher (Kane) - 1
Starbrand (Connor) - 1
Spider-Man (Octavius update) - 2
Striker (Sharpe) - 1
Thor (unidentified female) - 1/2
Triton - 2
White Tiger (Ava Ayala) - 1
Wrecker (Garthwaite) – 2

Eduardo M.
12-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Nice list. I gotta track this down and get it

Sidney Osinga
12-17-2014, 07:46 AM
It's a shame that no events were covered, but I guess we can't have everything.

I saw in the update appendix that the "I" is missing from Iron Man, making him Ron Man

The entry for the new Thor is weak since next to nothing is known about the character.

JusticeGMH
12-17-2014, 08:00 AM
In case you're wondering...

Avengers Update Appendix includes updates on:
Ant-Man (Lang)
Ant-Man (O'Grady)
Beast
Black Knight (Whitman)
Black Panther (T'Challa)
Black Widow (Romanoff)
Blue Marvel
Cage
Cannonball
Captain America (Rogers)
Captain Britain (Braddock)
Captain Marvel (Danvers)
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)
Cho, Amadeus
Crystal
Daredevil
Darkhawk
Demolition Man
Doctor Strange
Echo
Firebird
Firestar
Guardians of the Galaxy (31st Century)
Havok
Hawkeye (Barton)
Hawkeye (Bishop)
Hellcat
Hercules
Hulk
Hulkling
Human Torch (Hammond)
Invisible Woman
Iron Fist
Iron Man (Stark)
Iron Patriot
Jocasta
Jones, Jessica
Jones, Rick
Justice
Living Lightning
Machine Man
Madame Web (Carpenter)
Major Victory/Vance Astro
Mancha, Victor
Marrina
Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr)
Mister Fantastic
Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Moondragon
Namor
Nova (Rider)
Power Man (Alvarez)
Pym, Henry
Quake
Quasar (Vaughn)
Quicksilver
Rage
Red Hulk
Rogue
Ronin (Brooks)
Sandman
Scarlet Witch
Sentry
Sersi
Shang-Chi
She-Hulk
Silverclaw
Spectrum
Speed
Spider-Man (Parker)
Spider-Woman (Drew)
Stature
Stingray
Storm
Sunfire
Sunspot
Swordsman (Duquesne)
Thing
Thor Odinson
3-D Man (Garrett)
Tigra
Two-Gun Kid
USAgent
Valkyrie (Brunnhilde)
Venom (Thompson)

Stuart V
12-17-2014, 09:06 AM

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I saw in the update appendix that the "I" is missing from Iron Man, making him Ron Man

:Oops: Oops, er, um... :Idea: ah, got it! That's not a mistake. His next armour will be the Ron Jeremy armour.:Smirk: I'll leave it to your imagination what its special features will be like.:Naughty:

Joking aside, that's bizarre, as it is not missing the I in the proof copies.

Sidney Osinga wrote:

The entry for the new Thor is weak since next to nothing is known about the character.

Yeah, can't really deny that one. We had to include her, but we weren't to spoiler any upcoming stories, which left very little to go on.

Angelicknight
12-17-2014, 09:50 AM
In Captain Marvel #16 Abyss is called Drusilla but it's neither listed as her real name or an alias in her profile was the a mistake?

Stuart V
12-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Angelicknight wrote:

In Captain Marvel #16 Abyss is called Drusilla but it's neither listed as her real name or an alias in her profile was the a mistake?

Nope. Online sites claiming Drusilla is her name are making the mistake. Drusilla is no more a name or an alias than it would be if a character sarcastically called Elsa Bloodstone "Buffy." Abyss' real name is Abyss - no dual identity.

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Can I check where exactly you found this error, as the name appears to be correct in the copies we have. Presumably we're looking in the wrong place.

Angelicknight
12-17-2014, 10:14 AM

Stuart V wrote:

Nope. Online sites claiming Drusilla is her name are making the mistake. Drusilla is no more a name or an alias than it would be if a character sarcastically called Elsa Bloodstone "Buffy." Abyss' real name is Abyss - no dual identity.

Can I check where exactly you found this error, as the name appears to be correct in the copies we have. Presumably we're looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!

Iron Man entry in the Avengers Update Appendix is missing the I in my copy as well.

Stuart V
12-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Angelicknight wrote:

Iron Man entry in the Avengers Update Appendix is missing the I in my copy as well.

Exactly where?

Angelicknight
12-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Stuart V wrote:

Exactly where?

Start of the Iron Man update. The picture followed by RON MAN (STARK):

akippcomet
12-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Stuart V wrote:

:Oops: Oops, er, um... :Idea: ah, got it! That's not a mistake. His next armour will be the Ron Jeremy armour.:Smirk: I'll leave it to your imagination what its special features will be like.:Naughty:

Perfect solution -- it's the Ron Burgandy armor! It would fit right in with the Superior Iron Man....

Eduardo M.
12-17-2014, 12:30 PM

skippcomet wrote:

Perfect solution -- it's the Ron Burgandy armor! It would fit right in with the Superior Iron Man....

o maybe its the Ron Swanson armor.

JusticeGMH
12-17-2014, 01:08 PM
I forgot to look at my hard copy, but the "I" is definitely missing in the digital copy.

zuckyd1
12-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Missing in my hard copy as well. Although the picture of him could almost serve as one of those giant fancy capital letters you see in really old books. ;)

Stuart V
12-17-2014, 01:39 PM
It was still in our final proofing copies, so somehow it got lost between us finishing proofing and the issue getting printed.

JusticeGMH
12-17-2014, 03:47 PM
The Captain Marvel (Danvers) update is the same as the Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) update. Not quibbling...I can't fathom how many mistakes there would be if I were to do this...just pointing out. So excited to have another handbook in my hands!

Sidney Osinga
12-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Also, in my copy, the picture of Black Dwarf in the Black Order entry isn't captioned.

zuckyd1
12-18-2014, 06:22 AM
I know very little about Angela's pre-Marvel history. Are there any references to it in her profile?

Angelicknight
12-18-2014, 06:46 AM

zuckyd1 wrote:

I know very little about Angela's pre-Marvel history. Are there any references to it in her profile?

No nothing before appearing in Marvel.

Andy E. Nystrom
12-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Glad that the Handbooks are back but what was probably a necessity this time around makes this one a less interesting one for me: It's very heavily weighted towards 2010 and later. Understandable as most of the major characters were profiled previously and newer characters are probably more attractive to more casual Handbook buyers than characters from the 1960s to even the 2000s. But I'm hoping that if sales improve enough to make the Handbooks a regular thing again, we'll see a greater range of older characters again.

That said I'd rather see Handbooks weighted towards an era of lesser interest to me than no Handbooks at all.

zuckyd1
12-18-2014, 08:03 AM

Angelicknight wrote:

No nothing before appearing in Marvel.

That's surprising that they didn't even sneak in a veiled allusion. I'm suspecting an editorial edict.

Stuart V
12-18-2014, 08:57 AM

JusticeGMH wrote:

The Captain Marvel (Danvers) update is the same as the Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) update. Not quibbling...I can't fathom how many mistakes there would be if I were to do this...just pointing out. So excited to have another handbook in my hands!

Phooey - here's what it should have said:

Surviving his apparent death, Magnitron (Yon-Rogg) created a flight-limiting brain lesion in Carol, which she ruptured while defeating him, robbing her of many memories. Afterwards, she briefly dated War Machine (Jim Rhodes), then was assigned to space by the Avengers, later joining Star-Lord (Peter Quill)’s Guardians of the Galaxy.

mal32
12-18-2014, 12:22 PM
I am so glad at last Nikki and Triton had their updated profile!!!

Angelicknight
12-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Nova's profile gives him as being an honorary Avenger but the updated roster profile does not reflect this. Is he considered an honorary member and if so when and where was he awarded honorary membership?

vanhornluke
12-18-2014, 12:56 PM
So, since there's no reference to Angela's Image appearances, and her first appearance is listed as Age of Ultron #10 instead of an issue of Spawn, does that mean that Marvel's official position is that Marvel-Angela and Image-Angela are two different characters? If so, why? I thought the whole point of her Marvel introduction by having her pop up as a result of time travel chaos from some other realm was to explain how she was transported from Earth-Spawn (whatever it's Earth number is) to Earth-616.

Andy E. Nystrom
12-18-2014, 04:47 PM

vanhornluke wrote:

So, since there's no reference to Angela's Image appearances, and her first appearance is listed as Age of Ultron #10 instead of an issue of Spawn, does that mean that Marvel's official position is that Marvel-Angela and Image-Angela are two different characters? If so, why? I thought the whole point of her Marvel introduction by having her pop up as a result of time travel chaos from some other realm was to explain how she was transported from Earth-Spawn (whatever it's Earth number is) to Earth-616.

Yeah, I also thought it was a Doctor Nemesis-type situation. Maybe Marvel heads want to keep their options open at this point?

Stuart V
12-19-2014, 09:42 AM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Yeah, I also thought it was a Doctor Nemesis-type situation. Maybe Marvel heads want to keep their options open at this point?

I believe that's the case.

vanhornluke
12-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Stuart V wrote:

I believe that's the case

So are you saying that Marvel has declined to take an official position on whether Marvel-Angela and Image-Angela are the same character, perhaps out of the desire to keep both options open for now?

Stuart V
12-20-2014, 02:00 AM

vanhornluke wrote:

So are you saying that Marvel has declined to take an official position on whether Marvel-Angela and Image-Angela are the same character, perhaps out of the desire to keep both options open for now?

I can't speak on behalf of Marvel on this, and wouldn't presume to do so. It's not the kind of decision we get to be privy of, and wouldn't be my place to speculate on the whys and wherefores, especially not in a public forum. I do know (and believe I can say) that when we asked whether to include any mention of her pre-Marvel history, whether obliquely in the history or by listing a non-Marvel title as her first appearance, we were requested not to. It's entirely up to the individual whether they want to interpret the "first appearance" info as "first MARVEL appearance" or "first appearance of the Marvel universe counterpart."

Andy E. Nystrom
12-20-2014, 05:51 PM
A more minor typo in the Appendix: Demolition Man should be Demolition-Man (hyphen).

A couple of other naming points: main Avengers Update lists Luke Cage current "hero name" as Luke Cage but the Appendix goes with Cage; that one we can probably say they're interchangeable but not necessarily in one other instance: main Avengers Update has Eric Brooks' current "hero name" as Blade but the Appendix has him as Ronin. I'm a bit behind on comics reading so I'm betting that he's back to Blade now and was only Ronin while active with the Avengers, but if wrong will correct on the Master List, which I'm currently working on updating.

Rayeye
12-28-2014, 04:10 PM
I am so excited about this handbook, I can't wait for the next one! I hope it will an X-Men handbook, the X-Men really needs an update!

Eduardo M.
12-28-2014, 07:43 PM

Rayeye wrote:

I am so excited about this handbook, I can't wait for the next one! I hope it will an X-Men handbook, the X-Men really needs an update!

Based off the movies that are upcoming in 2015 we have Avengers; Age of Ultron, Fox's Fantastic Four movie and Ant-man. I doubt Marvel would do another Avengers handboo so soon after this one. I also doubt they'd do an FF handbook to promote a non-MCU film, especially since the comic is about to end. And I seriously doubt we're getting a Handbook dedicated to Ant-Man.

Now since Agents of SHIELD is on TV and we're getting Agent Carter on in January, it would be AWESOME to get a SHIELD handbook. Especially since we have a new comic starting soon.

Andy E. Nystrom
12-28-2014, 08:59 PM

Eduardo M. wrote:

Now since Agents of SHIELD is on TV and we're getting Agent Carter on in January, it would be AWESOME to get a SHIELD handbook. Especially since we have a new comic starting soon.

And there's plenty of SHIELD agents and their foes who have never been covered or who haven't been covered since the 1980s. Though in the case of Imperial Hydra there might not be more to add than how well the decomposition of his body has been going since his Deluxe Edition profile.

Sidney Osinga
12-28-2014, 09:50 PM

Rayeye wrote:

Plus, there's still a number of characters who need entries. Also, in addition to a X-Men one, we could also do with a new Spider-Man one.

Eduardo M.
12-29-2014, 04:38 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

And there's plenty of SHIELD agents and their foes who have never been covered or who haven't been covered since the 1980s. Though in the case of Imperial Hydra there might not be more to add than how well the decomposition of his body has been going since his Deluxe Edition profile.

LOL!!! Then again, Doctor Sun got an entry in the last FF handbook and he hasn't done anything since his BoD entry in the DE. I suppose we could have a new entry for Imperial Hydra Arnold Brown.

ultrabasurero
12-29-2014, 05:39 PM
I finally got this with my DCBS shipment over the weekend. It's so refreshing to thumb through new profiles once again. Hopefully they can keep on pumping them out. Even though I miss Gus Vazquez's original art, I would rather see more repurposed art to keep the cost down.

Hopefully we can get a new Spider-Man, X-Men, cosmic, street-level and update handbooks.

Eduardo M.
01-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Just got this in the mail today. Nice to have a new Handbook in hand. Loved the updates section.

toddcam
01-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Ugh, so frustrating. Mine is still waiting...

Sean McQuaid
01-08-2015, 09:35 PM

Angelicknight wrote:

Nova's profile gives him as being an honorary Avenger but the updated roster profile does not reflect this. Is he considered an honorary member and if so when and where was he awarded honorary membership?

When this handbook was prepped, Nova was not a member (honorary or otherwise). The membership notation in his profile was an error. Ironically, he's since joined the team in his own book -- but not as an honorary member, so that group affiliation in his profile will still need to be corrected someday.

Got our wires somewhat crossed on this one, sorry. As Rosencrantz and Guildenstern once said, "We'll know better next time."

-Sean

Angelicknight
01-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Sean McQuaid wrote:

When this handbook was prepped, Nova was not a member (honorary or otherwise). The membership notation in his profile was an error. Ironically, he's since joined the team in his own book -- but not as an honorary member, so that group affiliation in his profile will still need to be corrected someday.

Got our wires somewhat crossed on this one, sorry. As Rosencrantz and Guildenstern once said, "We'll know better next time."

-Sean

Welcome to the forum Sean! Always great to see another Handbook writer on the forum. Thanks for the Nova info and i picked up issue #25 of his series for his induction into the Avengers. Hope to see more of you on the forum and hopefully more Handbooks to come in the future.

Andy E. Nystrom
01-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Yes, welcome back to Who Watches the Watchers, Sean! Glad you found the new location.

zuckyd1
02-14-2015, 12:05 PM
I see that the Avengers Now handbook sold about 12,500 copies. Anyone know if that is good/bad/average for a handbook?

DeadpoolRP
02-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Not sure, but I hope it's good enough that we'll at least get an X-Men handbook (if not many, many more). As much as Avengers membership needed to be clarified, X-Men membership needs it even more! I sent Stuart a big list of X-Men membership questions, but we should probably start a new thread . . .

Loved the handbook, by the way! And if any of the handbook writers wanted to start an official errata thread, that would be great. I know Nova was put in the honorary members section of the Avengers members page on Wikipedia based on the handbook, so editors there have been resistant to moving him to the full members section despite the fact that the honorary note was an error.

toddcam
03-18-2015, 09:17 AM
After three months and my purchase not arriving, I gave up and bought the digital version. Great stuff! So many people are Avengers now...

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera