Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2020 4:13 pm  #1

Discussions of Moves Past

I decided to put all the historical text related to past movies together as this sort of thing is probably of limited interest.  For similar reasons I won’t worry about moving over Facebook posts related to the move for the time being. They’re not likely tp be deleted any time soon.
Historical text from Comixfan:
MISSING
Historical text from CxPulp.
From thread: Comixfan Merger Status
Craig Reade
10-28-2013, 09:12 AM
We are starting to get some of the Comixfan users registering here, which is good news. However, there is still some posting  going on at the old board - which means that there are going to be a few very surprised people on November 2nd.

The biggest item I think that needs to be addressed at this point is the OHOTMU forum on comixfan. Do we want that to continue here, and outside of simply opening the forum up here and allowing those users to start transferring the data – is there some way we can improve on that concept here? Would it be better in the CMS, or is the forum a better venue for that?

Andrea Speed
10-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Umm ... I'd be better equipped to comment on that if I knew what the hell that was.

Craig Reade
10-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Hopefully some of the comixfan staffers will be able to answer that question

William Keogh
10-29-2013, 07:46 AM
The Marvel Handbook writers have their own subforum on Comixfan. Now mostly it's chatter about updates, since there haven't been new handbooks in awhile, aside from hardcovers and trades. I'll go on over and ask in that forum if they want to transfer anything over, or start here, whatever.

Craig Reade
10-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Sounds good. I'll give it some time today, but I think I will go ahead and open the forum soon and let them start working. See what happens.
Do any creators actually visit it anymore, or is it just people who really like the handbooks? Maybe the forum can be presented  differently? Is there actual useful information in there, like could that forum be considered an online handbook?

William Keogh
11-01-2013, 03:36 PM
It's mostly just the handbooks writers, but they do seem to be coming over.

From thread: Moving Things Over from Comixfan
Andy E. Nystrom
11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Okay, for anyone who wants to volunteer with moving stuff over from old site, here's the drill (happily it doesn't look like I'll need people's e-mail addresses after all).

We'll be working from the Archives version of the Comixfan site. The URL for the Archives is now here: http://cxpulp.com/comixfan/forums/ar...php/f-375.html

You'll also need a graphical version of the old site. You can find the old version at http://cxpulp.com/comixfan/forums/fo...play.php?f=375 or you can ask me to e-mail you my saved copies. For larger pages though it'll probably be easier to go to the above URL

The steps are as follows (please don't touch the threads I frequently update; I'll take care of those ones):
1. Indicate here which threads you wish to tackle so there's no overlap of work
2. Make sure this post, the new Who Watches the Watchers site in general, and the graphical version of the Comixfan site are open in separate tabs or windows.
3. In the new site, click the button to start a new thread and give it the title of the old version of the thread you wish to copy over.
4. Make a note at top that the first post is the historical info; even typing Historical Info: should be enough
5. In this Temporary Thread, click on the thread you wish to copy over (you'll probably want to open it in a separate tab or window so you can keep reading these instructions).
6. Select the text from the first word of text you wish to copy over (probably the thread starter's first name) to the last word in the last post (don't just Select All because we don't want the headers and footers)
7. Copy the text (Ctrl-C or right click Copy)
8. Paste the text in the first post of the new thread (Ctrl-V or right click Paste)
9. Bold the names of all posters
10. If there is more than one post, make sure there is no more than one row of blank space between lines of text within a post, then use the enter key to put two rows of blank space between posts.
11. Use the graphical version of the old site and look for any quotes. The Archives don't distinguish between new text and text being quoted.
12. Surround any quotes with

text being quoted

. If you wish, you can add in attributions but you don't have to. If you don't want to type this in you can select the text and click the Quote button.
13. Do any other formatting you thing might make it more readable.
14. Click Submit new thread
15. If you run out of time with the formatting, Submit the thread anyway and indicate this so we know to go back and fix it later.

Let me know if you have any questions

Here is the complete lists of threads. As people announce their intent and complete threads, I'll note this so we can see what still needs doing. We're not going to move the Moving thread. [img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/img]Once a lot of the work gets done, I'm deleting the ones that are finished to make it easy to see what's left to do

[list=1]
[*]The Official Handbooks General Q&A Thread -MAL32 and ANDY TO DO
[*]OHOTMU Wolverine 2004 - MAL TO DO
[/list]

zuckyd1
11-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I'd like to start off with something simple: #190 HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE
and then tackle #115 Non-Marvel Handbooks

Andy E. Nystrom
11-01-2013, 12:05 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

I'd like to start off with something simple: #190 HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE
and then tackle #115 Non-Marvel Handbooks

Thank you, Zuckyd1. Those are yours! I'm particularly glad you're doing the latter! I've made a note above.

Craig Reade
11-01-2013, 12:08 PM
You guys really need to upload yourself some avatars. All this activity is making the "What's New?" look all boring

zuckyd1
11-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Okay, I posted the first thread. Let me know if it looks okay and then I'll move on to the second one. I didn't know how to include the cover image at the beginning of the thread.

Craig Reade
11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Images would have to be re-uploaded individually. There should be a button that looks like a picture of a Tree - use that to insert an image.

If you use the URL and don't upload directly, make sure the "retrieve image and reference locally" is checked, so that the image does not break after the domain forwards!

zuckyd1
11-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't see that checkbox.

Craig Reade
11-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Try it now.

Too many damned little switches on these boards sometimes...

mal32
11-01-2013, 02:58 PM
May I ask how much time we have to do this job, please?

Andy E. Nystrom
11-01-2013, 05:17 PM

mal32 wrote:

May I ask how much time we have to do this job, please?

We have lots of time if I understand correctly. There will apparently be a way of accessing the old material once Comixfan goes away; we just won't be able to add to it. However, tomorrow the old Who Watches the Watchers becomes read only.

On another note, Zuckyd1, I took a look at your History post and it looks great!

Andy E. Nystrom
11-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Once question for Craig: somehow when I saved the Marvel Legacy: The 1960s Handbook thread, the Thumbs Down icon appeared. How do I fix that? It's a good thread and doesn't deserve that.

Craig Reade
11-01-2013, 05:43 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Once question for Craig: somehow when I saved the Marvel Legacy: The 1960s Handbook thread, the Thumbs Down icon appeared. How do I fix that? It's a good thread and doesn't deserve that.

You should be able to edit that by editing the first post in the thread. Click "Go Advanced" - and then select a new post icon from the bottom.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-01-2013, 05:56 PM

Craig Reade wrote:

You should be able to edit that by editing the first post in the thread. Click "Go Advanced" - and then select a new post icon from the bottom.

Thank you!

Craig Reade
11-01-2013, 11:53 PM
For the links above, just swap out "comixfan.net" with "cxpulp.com/comixfan" and they should take you where you need to go!

mal32
11-02-2013, 03:54 AM
Ok, thank you for your kind reply, Andy, I take, for now, # 1 e 2.

About Comixfan I tried now and I received only an error page...

Andy E. Nystrom
11-02-2013, 07:43 AM

mal32 wrote:

Ok, thank you for your kind reply, Andy, I take, for now, # 1 e 2.

About Comixfan I tried now and I received only an error page...

Thank you, Mal, I'll make a note in the first post that you reserved the first two. I recommend you do the #2 (Wolverine 2004) first as a test run because #1 (Q&A) was 66 pages long on the old site!

I noticed that too about the error message. if you just type in the general Comixfan URL it redirects to CX Pulp but if you try to go straight to the old Who Watches the Watchers you just get the error message as you say. Craig, maybe there could be a redirect put in from the old Who Watches the Watchers to the new one? There are likely people who mainly frequent that section who might not yet know about the move. I only found out about it myself less than a week ago.

I've also updated the first page of this point to show the new addresses for the old material.

Craig Reade
11-02-2013, 11:01 AM
That error should be fixed now. Sorry about that - it took a while to find where that link was.

zuckyd1
11-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Finished Non-Marvel Handbooks. Next I'll tackle #32 Marvel Atlas #1 and #41 Marvel Atlas #2.
(Wasn't there also an Atlas tpb thread? I can't find it.)

Andy E. Nystrom
11-02-2013, 11:45 AM

zuckyd1 wrote:

Finished Non-Marvel Handbooks. Next I'll tackle #32 Marvel Atlas #1 and #41 Marvel Atlas #2.
(Wasn't there also an Atlas tpb thread? I can't find it.)

I'll put you down for those two. I already moved the Atlas trade thread over.

Craig Reade
11-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Thank you to Craig for all the help he's given in getting this page set up.

If anyone else can volunteer even just a little it would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing what I can, but there is still tons of material to migrate over! I'm happy to offer guidance if need be.

zuckyd1
11-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Okay the two Atlas threads are now up. I tried a different formatting scheme for the second thread. Let me know what you think. I can change it back to the old style if you prefer.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-02-2013, 04:41 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

Okay the two Atlas threads are now up. I tried a different formatting scheme for the second thread. Let me know what you think. I can change it back to the old style if you prefer.

I like it. It looks great. Thank you very much for doing this. Anyone else you want to reserve?

zuckyd1
11-02-2013, 04:55 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

ank you very much for doing this.

My pleasure. Glad to help out.
I'll do #100 Blockbusters next. (Cherry-picking some of my favorite issues )

Eduardo M.
11-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Andy, I haven't found the old Wish List thread. I have my list saved. I could start a new thread if you want.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-02-2013, 05:33 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

My pleasure. Glad to help out.
I'll do #100 Blockbusters next. (Cherry-picking some of my favorite issues )

Okay, I've put you down for that. For my part it's been a combination of "easy wins" and favourite threads.

Once Mal32 posts the Q&A thread I might fold into that a few threads from people who created a new thread just to ask a question and never posted anywhere else, and then delete the shorter thread (I'm still puzzled about that request for ISBN numbers for Deluxe Edition hardcovers).

Andy E. Nystrom
11-02-2013, 05:34 PM

Eduardo M. wrote:

Andy, I haven't found the old Wish List thread. I have my list saved. I could start a new thread if you want.

Yeah, it's one of the ones that hasn't been uploaded yet. If you're volunteering to do that, I'll put you down for that uploading that one. See instructions on the first post this thread.

zuckyd1
11-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Next:
#13 Mystic Arcana
#14 Marvel Zombies
#41 Marvel Pets Handbook
#43 Encyclopaedia Mythologica
#46 Marvel Mystery Handbook
#111 Vampires

Andy E. Nystrom
11-02-2013, 05:43 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

Next:
#13 Mystic Arcana
#14 Marvel Zombies
#41 Marvel Pets Handbook
#43 Encyclopaedia Mythologica
#46 Marvel Mystery Handbook
#111 Vampires

Thank you, Zuckyd1. I've reserved those for you in the first post!

zuckyd1
11-03-2013, 09:16 AM
dibs on:
#4 Marvel Knights
#5 Teams 2005
#9 X-Men 2005
#11 Messiah Complex
#12 World War Hulk
#29 Weapon X
#51 Deadpool Corps
#52 Iron Manual 3
#54 Avengers Assemble
#58 Women of Marvel tpb
#59 Thanos
#76 Thor: Asgard's Avenger
#77 Earth's Mutant Heroes
#81 Captain America: America's Avenger
#86 Fear Itself
#88 FF
#98 Defenders
#100 Spider-Man Through the Decades

Andy E. Nystrom
11-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Thank you again for your help, Zuckyd1. I've noted your choices in the first thread!

zuckyd1
11-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't know how to copy over the poll results at the top of the Teams 2005 thread.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-03-2013, 11:30 AM

zuckyd1 wrote:

I don't know how to copy over the poll results at the top of the Teams 2005 thread.

Good question. My thought is, you can either go to the graphic version and copy the text bit by bit or you can skip that part. It would be nice to have, but IMHO it's less critical than the discussion.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Oh, and less than 100 threads to move now! We're over half way in terms of number of threads but I'm not certain about volume of text, so new volunteers still welcomed!

Craig Reade
11-03-2013, 02:17 PM
As long as we aren't talking more than a few polls, I might be able to recreate those for you. Post the thread, and send me a PM with a link to the old and new threads, and let me know you need a poll recreated in the first post. I'll set it up.

If you are talking dozens... well, we might need to find another method :lol:

zuckyd1
11-03-2013, 02:34 PM
It would be really cool if we got some more volunteers.

Just sayin'.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Craig Reade wrote:

As long as we aren't talking more than a few polls, I might be able to recreate those for you. Post the thread, and send me a PM with a link to the old and new threads, and let me know you need a poll recreated in the first post. I'll set it up.

If you are talking dozens... well, we might need to find another method :lol:

I'll let Zuckyd1 send you the thread info since he's in charge of that particular thread. To answer the other part of your question though, there are very few polls. I'd say five at the most, and possibly as low as two.

Agreed, hope we get some more volunteers. Along those lists, just because I did the first three hardcover threads doesn't mean I'm putting dibs on the other 11. If anyone else wants to tackle those, they're available. I'm taking time to relax in the sun but once I get back to these my immediate focus will be individual index issues.

Craig Reade
11-03-2013, 02:53 PM

zuckyd1 wrote:

It would be really cool if we got some more volunteers.

Just sayin'.

Well, with the sheer number of threads you have going on, it is a little tough for people who just came on the site to see the request, or even find where they are supposed to see what is going on  :lol:

I'd suggest looking at the familiar people who have registered, and shoot them a PM asking for help.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-05-2013, 04:54 PM    
Letting people know I'm still adding to the Sightings thread. AFter I posted the first post something else came up (dinner meet) so I'll add more historical stuff later.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-05-2013, 08:59 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Letting people know I'm still adding to the Sightings thread. AFter I posted the first post something else came up (dinner meet) so I'll add more historical stuff later.

Sightings thread now has all the historical info up. Will start updating things there once the move is closer to completion

Andy E. Nystrom
11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
All threads that had stickies when the old site shut down are now up, though I've stuck a few more as well.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
All the index-related threads now migrated over!

Craig Reade
11-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Awesome!!!
:Radbanana: :Radbanana:  :Bananaglitter: :Radbanana:  :Superbanana:
Now what?

Eduardo M.
11-06-2013, 05:08 PM
woohoo!!!!!!!

Andy E. Nystrom
11-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Craig Reade wrote:

Awesome!!!
:Radbanana: :Radbanana:  :Bananaglitter: :Radbanana:  :Superbanana:
Now what?

See the first post for what's left. Every few new posts I delete what's already been done from the To Do List

Andy E. Nystrom
11-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Eduardo M. wrote:

woohoo!!!!!!!

We're definitely making a dent. How's the Wish List coming along BTW? Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about formatting.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Since it's come up, if anyone wants to volunteer but doesn't have the old material, the first post this thread explains how to access Read Only versions of the old material (both graphical and non-graphical; you'll need the graphical version to determine quote placements).

Oh, and I keep meaning to mention, there's also a Quote button so if you don't feel like typing in the meta-tags all the time, just select the text and click the quote button.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Okay, we're down to a dozen left. I may take the rest of the eve off to relax. If anyone for whatever reason needs to relinquish threads you've offered to move over, please indicate it here or in PM. However, if so, and if you've started on things, contact me about arranging me to get any formatting you've already done and I'll credit your efforts in the thread in question. If I don't hear to the contrary I'll assume you're still on track for anything you've committed to.

Rayeye
11-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Thanks for saving and moving all these OHOTMU/Index topics to cxPulp, Andy!

Andy E. Nystrom
11-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Rayeye wrote:

Thanks for saving and moving all these OHOTMU/Index topics to cxPulp, Andy!

You're welcome, Rayeye. There's still a few more to go, but most are now up. Glad to see that many of the regulars are making the move over. I want this area to be as welcoming as possible to people who frequented the Comixfan version.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Only 6 threads left, all of them spoken for. If anyone needs to relinquish threads they're down for, let me know and I'll continue on (just send me whatever you've already done, if anything). Otherwise I'll assume you're still committed to these.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Just three left! If there's any questions about the formatting, let me know! Also, if anyone spots any thread other than the ones listed that somehow got overlooked, let me know.

Also, I'm going to have to unsticky some of the threads. If there are any threads currently with stickies that you really can't stand to get buried, let me know. Otherwise, they'll still be around, and can be brought forward of course by replying.

Andy E. Nystrom
11-14-2013, 09:40 AM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Also, I'm going to have to unsticky some of the threads. If there are any threads currently with stickies that you really can't stand to get buried, let me know. Otherwise, they'll still be around, and can be brought forward of course by replying.

As it turns out Craig wants this down to two. Will unstick more threads later, but basically if you don't want a fav thread to be buried, post!

Andy E. Nystrom
12-23-2013, 04:56 PM
I've updated this list. The remaining two will definitely be up by January at the latest.

Andy E. Nystrom
01-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Just to give people an update on the Q&A thread: given that it's 66 pages long, I'm helping mal32 with that thread so that it'll be up sooner. He'll continue to work on the first pages while I tackle the final pages, and once I catch up to where he's posted, I'll post the remaining text. Hopefully this will make the thread fully functional in very short order!

Andy E. Nystrom
01-10-2014, 05:48 PM
On another thread I previously said Saturday for the Q&A thread to be finished. It's now looking like Sunday but short of getting hit by a car and the like, definitely no later than that. So if you want to ensure the thread makes the Sunday mark, drive safely.

Andy E. Nystrom
01-11-2014, 05:50 PM
The Q&A thread is up (thank you for your efforts there, Angelo). Angelo is working on the Wolverine 2004 thread now. I do believe that's it. If you think any thread has been missed, let me know but otherwise that will be that.

I plan to merge a couple of threads into Q&A. None of the more important or fun threads, just ones where someone showed up just to start a new thread and then disappeared (e.g.; the Deluxe Edition Hardcovers thread - and no, there are no Deluxe Edition hardcovers, and the Do the Handbooks Make up Information thread).

mal32
01-11-2014, 06:10 PM
The Wolverine 2004 thread is done

Andy E. Nystrom
01-11-2014, 06:59 PM

mal32 wrote:

The Wolverine 2004 thread is done

Excellent. I'll leave this thread open for a few more days in case anything's been overlooked, then I'll close this thread and let it fade into history!

Andy E. Nystrom
01-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Okay, I folded the two threads I noted above into the Q&A thread. If anyone thinks other threads should be folded in, let me know and will consider them. I looked through the remaining threads and there are a few other borderline cases, but nothing else that jumped out as me as, "This is just a general question that doesn't need its own thread".

Andy E. Nystrom
01-19-2014, 01:29 PM
No one has noted antyhing missing so I'm assuming that everything has been moved over. Closing and unsticking this thread but leaving it up for historical purposes.

From thread: Annoucement: Who Watches the Watchers is Moving to Capes (Optional)
Andy E. Nystrom
01-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Okay, this is the announcement people have been expecting, even if you didn’t know exactly where: we are moving to Capes (Optional).

Here’s what happened: I started noticed the glitches on CxPulp and brought them to attention to the site owner, Craig Reade. He determined that there was no inexpensive way to fix the glitches. He subsequently raised Reddit as a possible way of keeping CxPulp alive. In a thread devoted to moderators, no other solution has been presented to date.

At that point there were two obvious options for Who Watches the Watchers: join CxPulp at Reddit or move our sub-forum to another location for the second time in a little over two years. The Reddit option did offer some nice features, including a Wikipedia page that CxPulp moderators could control. However, and this was the deal breaker, it did not allow for sub-forums. Essentially we would all be CxPulp and Who Watches the Watchers would cease to exist, though many of our threads would continue on.

My feeling is that most people here, even if they participate in other parts of CxPulp, come to Who Watches the Watchers specifically for that sub-forum, and that the site that it happens to be on is a bit secondary. Most of us are going to keep participating in Who Watches the Watchers wherever it lands up (myself included) so I felt that maintaining Who Watches the Watchers as a separate entity from CxPulp was important.

During the glitch period I have been in correspondence with Michael Regan, who runs Capes (Optional). He was an administrator for Comixfan, is still an occasional participant with Who Watches the Watchers, and is very familiar with the Handbooks. So he wasn’t just the best choice for a move, he was in fact the only choice I considered. I also made sure that Stuart was on board as he’s not only a moderator and a Handbook writer, but someone who’s been around since the beginning, two years before I showed up.

I do want to thank Craig Reade for hosting our sub-forum and for helping us through the previous move (as well as respecting my wanting to move the entire Who Watches the Watchers over from Comixfan, no small amount of material!). It was also Craig who came up with the idea of using the text based versions of the Comixfan material to move things over, without which we might not have saved everything. Had the glitches been a simple fix, we’d have been staying put. I do wish Craig and the rest of CxPulp all the best and if CxPulp does move to Reddit, I encourage people to pop in there and say hi.

But it is time once again to do a move. Most of the threads are already in a holding area in the new site. Michael is currently playing with the code himself. If you want to help with converting the code, he is the person to talk to about that.
Stuart and I will continue on as moderators for Who Watches the Watchers. It may take a bit of time for everything to reappear but everything will eventually. Everyone who currently runs a thread will still be in charge of the thread in question once it makes the trip over.

There will be a few things to get used to, such as white text on black background rather than the other way around, but there will also be some advantages. For instance Capes (Optional) handles memory better, so the list section of the Master List will be in one post again, and I will now be in a position to reconsider ways of expanding that list which I had to decline before due to memory.

Our new location is here, thus thus far there aren't any posts: http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=67. For now, feel free to reply to existing threads here until we get further along in the move. However, brand new topics should be started over there. Threads will be closed here as they get moved over to the new site. For most of the really old threads that haven’t been touched in a while, I’m not worried about prioritizing, but lately as I’ve been posting thread codes I have been giving specific threads priority numbers. The Imaginary A-Z thread should appear first both because it’s the most active and because it requires the most work, being currently at 147 pages (and all from this site, not Comixfan; Comixfan posts are a bit easier because most of the necessary reformatting was done in 2013). The Master List will hopefully follow shortly thereafter and so on. Michael has indicated that formatting on Imaginary A-Z is almost finished.

Feel free to ask me any questions here. I apologize for any inconveniences including having to sign up for a new site for the second time in a little over two years, but even if CxPulp continues, this version of the site will be closing (I don't know when). So this is the best solution I could come up with.
As you know, I saved everything there was to find last move, and that will be the case this move as well.

Angelicknight
01-06-2016, 04:39 AM
Looking forward to the new forum. I also like the look of the new forum. I would also like to thank Craig for hosting the Who Watches the Watchers forum an Andy, Stuart and the rest of the Moderators for keeping Who Watches the Watchers alive. It's also good to to see Michael back again i loved the old Comixfan forums. It's sad we have to move on in a way but i feel great things are ahead for Who Watches the Watchers. Looking forward to seeing everyone over at the new forums. To end i must extend a special thanks to Andy who has done an exceptional job as moderator for keeping things rolling from Comixfan through cxPulp over to Capes (Optional).

Andy E. Nystrom
01-06-2016, 07:39 AM
UPDATE: Craig has announced that CxPulp, at least in its current incarnation will close up shop on January 21. So be sure to bookmark the new site before then. Thank you Craig, for giving us the necessary time to get the message out. I think in the previous move we lost a lot of people because we only found out days before the move. This time we have two and a half weeks, definitely long enough to ensure most people here know about the move.

Andy E. Nystrom
01-06-2016, 07:53 AM
So if you thought that the events of the Secret Wars didn't really spill over into our own reality, don't you feel silly now?

RedKnight
01-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Angelicknight wrote:

Looking forward to the new forum. I also like the look of the new forum. I would also like to thank Craig for hosting the Who Watches the Watchers forum an Andy, Stuart and the rest of the Moderators for keeping Who Watches the Watchers alive. It's also good to to see Michael back again i loved the old Comixfan forums. It's sad we have to move on in a way but i feel great things are ahead for Who Watches the Watchers. Looking forward to seeing everyone over at the new forums. To end i must extend a special thanks to Andy who has done an exceptional job as moderator for keeping things rolling from Comixfan through cxPulp over to Capes (Optional).

I miss the old feel of Comixfan as well, and I'm glad everyone had a chance to continue with their interest here on cxpulp. It has always been nice to see some familiar names here even though I haven't posted very much personally.

Andy E. Nystrom
01-06-2016, 09:36 AM

Angelicknight wrote:

You're welcome. It's a great little community we have here and wouldn't want to lose it. Hope that some of the people who never made the trip over to CxPulp find the site again in its new location.

RedKnight
01-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Capes (Optional) has the same Forum feel that everyone is familiar with. The biggest change will likely be getting used to a program that is not vBulletin, but if anyone remembers the old Comixfan set-up, it isn't too far removed from what we had there.

Sign up whenever you can and get a feel for things. When you have signed up, drop me a PM either here or there.

Thank you Craig for everything you've done for the ex-CXF group, who will likely continue to follow your efforts on your new site.

Michael

RedKnight
01-06-2016, 12:22 PM
BTW, I recently had a long and drawn out spamming attack and made some site and registration updates. If anything appears to be amiss, please let me know and I'll do my best to correct the issue, if possible.

Craig Reade
01-06-2016, 02:02 PM

Best of luck to all of you! I wish there was a better way, but sometimes a fresh start really is the only way. Glad we could be a home - even if just for a short time!

Andy E. Nystrom
01-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Craig Reade wrote:

Best of luck to all of you! I wish there was a better way, but sometimes a fresh start really is the only way. Glad we could be a home - even if just for a short time!

You did help keep us going for over two years. Lots of threads started and continued during that time. Hope you manage to keep CxPulp going in some fashion.

A few lesser threads that work got started on before we decided to focus in the short term on the key ones are now up on the new site. The threads that have made the move so far are:
OHOTMU Wolverine 2014
Avengers Assemble
Official Index to the Marvel Universe: Avengers, Thor & Captain
America #12
Amazing Spider-Man: '08 Yearbook
OHOTMU - X-Men: Age of Apocalypse 2004
Official Handbooks Readers Survey (sadly most of this thread was
lost prior to the first move)
Planet Hulk: Gladiator Guidebook
Secret Invasion: Skrulls!

Andy E. Nystrom
01-07-2016, 11:43 AM
The Imaginary A-Z thread is now closed on CxPulp but open in its new home in Capes (Optional)
[url]http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1254\[/url]

Andy E. Nystrom
01-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Golden Age 2004 is moved over
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1289

Andy E. Nystrom
01-09-2016, 08:48 AM
More stuff moved over:
Captain America Guidebook (Priority Thread!)
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1305
Avengers Guidebook (Priority Thread!)
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1304
Captain America Index trade
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1299
Imaginary Ant-Man
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1306
Imaginary FF
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1300

Andy E. Nystrom
01-10-2016, 04:03 PM
The Master List thread is now closed on CxPulp but open in its new home in Capes (Optional)
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1307

Andy E. Nystrom
01-11-2016, 08:23 AM
A couple of the imaginary threads moved over as well:

Jungle:
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1324

Cloak & Dagger/Shang-Chi
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1323

Andy E. Nystrom
01-11-2016, 08:21 PM
More threads moved over:

Heroic Age: Heroes, Villains
Imaginary: Daredevil, Avengers, Questions

RedKnight
01-12-2016, 09:11 AM
The data transfer is progressing well.

. Nystrom
01-12-2016, 05:07 PM

RedKnight wrote:

The data transfer is progressing well.

Yes, we're definitely making a dent! Too many added today to= post individual URLs, but the following can now be found in our new home: http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=67

Mighty Avengers Most Wanted
Avengers Index
Changed Premises
Civil War Files
Could There Have Been Iron Man 3 Book
Book of the Dead 2004
Marvel Legacy App
Annihilation
Iron Man Index
Avengers Roll Call

Andy E. Nystrom
01-13-2016, 06:59 AM

All-New All-Different Marvel Universe moved over:
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1414

Andy E. Nystrom
01-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Lots of threads moved over:
Atlas Entries
Marvel Western
Marvel Monsters
Marvel Chronicle
Atlas tpb
Invincible
Marvel Legacy 1960s
Marvel Legacy 1970s
Marvel Legacy 1980s
Marvel Legacy 1990s
New Avengers Most Wanted
Alternate Universes
Avengers 04
Avengers 05
FF 2005
Horror
Hulk 04
Spider-Man 04
Spider-Man 05
Women of Marvel 05
Spider-Man Index
Daredevil
Brown Schematics
Your Universe
Straight Reprints
07 Listings
08 Listings
09 Listings
10 Listings
11 Listings
Facebook
Bibliographies
Reduxe
X-Men 04
Back in Black
Thor Guidebook

Andy E. Nystrom
01-14-2016, 03:40 PM

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

All-New All-Different Marvel Universe moved over:
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1414

URL changed:
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=988

Andy E. Nystrom
01-15-2016, 03:28 PM
More threads moved over:

Index Wish List
Post-Avengers Assemble
Online Version
Timely Dating
Reduxe
Final Index
Heroic Age: X-Men
Ghost Rider Index
Essential Master
A-Z Update Listings
A-Z #1-6
A-Z HC Listings

Imaginary threads:
Marvel Love
2000s
Daredevil
Spider-Women
Namor
She-Hulk
Wolverine

I *may* have missed a few. Visit http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=67 and let me know what I haven't mentioned yet

Andy E. Nystrom
01-16-2016, 04:50 PM

More stuff moved over:
Dark Reign
Dark Tower
DC Index Master List

Imaginary:
Marvel Youth
Western
Dr Strange
Punisher
Silver Surfer
Alpha Flight
Golden Age
Invaders
Nightcrawler
Halloween
Captains Marvel
Moon Knight
Iron Fist
Luke Cage

Andy E. Nystrom
01-17-2016, 05:47 PM
As per the CxPulp version of the thread, if anyone can help with the move, please post on the Moving thread on the Capes (Optional) site.
http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/v...hp?f=67&t=1248

Also, in that thread also indicate if there are any non-WWtW threads you want moved over to other parts of Capes (Optional). All WWtW material will be moved buty anything not related to WWtW, if no request is made, will cease to exist after the 21st

Andy E. Nystrom
01-18-2016, 05:29 PM
More threads moved to our new home: http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=67

Imaginary Marvel Science
Imaginary 616
A-Z 2006 7-12
Mystic Arcana
Marvel Atlas 1-2
Marvel Zombies
Blockbusters
Marvel Index 1-14
World War Hulk
Sequencing Timely
Is This a Handbook
Punisher Index
Marvel Index (2) 1-3, 6-11, 13-14

Andy E. Nystrom
01-??-2013 02:33 PM
More material moved over. If you want anything NOT in WWtW moved over, let me know because tomorrow is the last day of this site and I'm only saving the WWtW material, plus any specific non-WWtW requests.

Tomorrow the Incursions cause Earth-Cx Pulp and Earth-Capes Optional to collide, and only Capes Optional will survive!

Moved:
Marvel Index (1) Listings
Marvel Index (2) 15, Listings
Marvel Index (3) 1-8, Listings
A-Z Update 1-2
Deadpool
Imaginary Moon Knight

Andy E. Nystrom
01-??-2013 08:24 AM
In honour of Who Watches the Watchers' last day on CxPulp, I think this video of Closing Time made by Saanich (Greater Victoria) Target employees on the store's last day is appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVkF4b0lKIs

If you don't have an account at Capes (Optional), time to get one because after today, CxPulp is no more!

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

1/30/2020 4:14 pm  #2

Re: Discussions of Moves Past

Historical text from Capes (Optional):
From thread: Moving Things Over from CxPulp - and Where Do We Go from Here?
First page MISSING
zuckyd1
Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:59 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I'm only seeing the one post for the Marvel Science

Here's the thread in WWtW: <a href="http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&amp;t=1290" class="postlink">http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&amp;t=1290</a><br />And here's the duplicate thread in The Printed Page: <a href="http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&amp;t=1519" class="postlink">http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&amp;t=1519</a>

Andy E. Nystrom
Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:22 am

zuckyd1 wrote:

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I'm only seeing the one post for the Marvel Science

Here's the thread in WWtW: <a href="http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&amp;t=1290" class="postlink">http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&amp;t=1290</a><br />And here's the duplicate thread in The Printed Page: <a href="http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&amp;t=1519" class="postlink">http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&amp;t=1519</a>

Thx. I deleted the misfiled version.

Andy E. Nystrom
Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:23 am
If anyone saved the graphical versions of Comixfan WWtW posts or any version (graphical or non-graphical) of non-WWtW material from Comixfan, could you let Michael and/or I know please? This request is for Comixfan material not CxPulp. The graphical WWtW pages might help us restore some old images, and Michael is keen on reviving material from other Comixfan forums. Thank you in advance.

On other note, Capes (Optional) doesn't use up memory the way that CxPulp did, so we may be able to consider enhancements to WWtW that would have made threads on CxPulp too slow to edit. What would people like to see done with existing threads, particularly reference threads? We can't guarantee we'll use all your suggestions but we'll certainly consider any ideas people have.

zuckyd1
Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:16 pm<

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

If anyone saved the graphical versions of Comixfan WWtW posts or any version (graphical or non-graphical) of non-WWtW material from Comixfan, could you let Michael and/or I know please? This request is for Comixfan material not CxPulp. The graphical WWtW pages might help us restore some old images, and Michael is keen on reviving material from other Comixfan forums. Thank you in advance.

I have a number of PDFs from Comixfan, mostly threads relating to Marvel events.

Andy E. Nystrom
Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:46 am
Excellent! Thank you, David. I've let Michael know and he'll probably be in contact with you soon if he hasn't already

Michael Regan
Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:14 pm
If you think they are worth recapturing I'm all for it!

Andy E. Nystrom
Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:02 pm
Here's what's left to do if anyone wants to volunteer to help. I'll let Michael indicate if he wants to share any that he's working on.
Non-Marvel Handbooks (Michael working on)
OHOTMU Sightings Outside the Handbooks - Current Version (Michael working on)
 Things people keep getting wrong (Round 2) redux (Michael working on)
The Official Handbooks General Q& A Thread
Things People Keep Getting Wrong - Original Version (Michael working on)
 X-Men: Phoenix Force Handbook #1 (zuckyd1 working on)\
Captain America: America's Avenger (zuckyd1 working on)
Marvel Handbooks: Amateur Submissions (zuckyd1 working on)
OHOTMU Sightings Outside the Handbooks - Historical Version

Capes (Optional)
Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:04 pm
Once we are done, we have some classic Comixfan content which can be converted as well! (Thank you, zuckyd1)

Andy E. Nystrom
Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:38 pm
Getting close to the end of the move (most of the remaining threads are more or less ready; they just need a final check).<br /><br />Although no one's posted since the final day, CxPulp is still up if anyone needs anything else moved from the site. Beyond that, what changes would people like to see from WWtW moving forward? What would you like to see happen to keep this an active forum in the next few years that would appeal to long time participants and new members alike?

Andy E. Nystrom
Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:31 pm
Other than the Things People Keep Getting Wrong threads, all the &quot;Raw Data&quot; posts are live again!
 <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&amp;t=1569&amp;p=3317#p3317">viewtopic.php?f=67&amp;t=1569&amp;p=3317#p3317</a><!-- l -->

Also, another post that waws really popular on Comixfan but fell out of favour on CxPulp is also live again: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.capesoptional.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&amp;t=1648">viewtopic.php?f=67&amp;t=1648</a><!-- l --><br />Let's see if we can't resurrect this once super-popular thread now that we're getting the occasional Handbooks again!

Andy E. Nystrom
Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:32 am
Okay, since no takers on what would you like to see, here are some things I am hoping to implement, especially is there is interest:<br />* More graphics (Michael and I have had some preliminary discussion there)
Discussion threads on the original Handbooks (I might convert the Essential Master Edition thread to a general Master Edition thread)
* Writing credits thread: who wrote/co-wrote what?
* Art credits thread, noting the original source when reprinted.
In soime ways that last one excites me the most, but it's going to take a lot of work and I'll definitely be counting on you people to help me fill in the gaps!

zuckyd1
Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:17 am
There are still a few duplicate threads in the Columns forum: Captains Marvel, Deadpool, and Index #10

Andy E. Nystrom
Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:44 am

zuckyd1 wrote:

There are still a few duplicate threads in the Columns forum: Captains Marvel, Deadpool, and Index #10

Thx. I'll look into that in a bit.
On another note, CxPulp has finally gone dark. A toast to absent friends and thank you to everyone for making the journey over to Capes (Optional).

mal32
Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:41 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

On another note, CxPulp has finally gone dark. A toast to absent friends and thank you to everyone for making the journey over to Capes (Optional).

I updated the link from the O.H.o.t.M.U. Wikipedia profile to help people to find this new place

Andy E. Nystrom
Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:27 am

mal32 wrote:

I updated the link from the O.H.o.t.M.U. Wikipedia profile to help people to find this new place

Thank you for doing that!

Historical text from Facebook:
Not being moved over at this time; low priority.

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (1/30/2020 5:18 pm)

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera