Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2020 4:39 pm  #1

Index Wish List

Historical text from Comixfan:

slevin87

Jun 23, 2011, 01:33 pm

I thought that since we had a thread for who we'd like to see get Handbook entries, a thread for who we'd like to see receive coverage in future indexes might be a good counterpart. Apologies if one already exists. Anyway, my top 5 in particular order are:

Hulk
Dr. Strange
Fantastic Four
Daredevil
Sub-Mariner

Eduardo M.

Jun 23, 2011, 02:52 pm

Captain Britain

Roger Ott

Jun 24, 2011, 06:47 am

In addition to the ones that Slevin suggested above, I'd add:

West Coast Avengers/Avengers West Coast
Defenders
Alpha Flight
Spectacular Spider-Man
Marvel Team-Up
Web of Spider-Man
Silver Surfer

And a whole slew of limited series like Contest of Champions, Secret Wars I & II, Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade/Abyss, Civil War, Secret Invasion, etc.

bigvis497

Jun 24, 2011, 07:36 am

Howard The Duck
X-Force/X-Statix
X-Factor
Deadpool
Thunderbolts
Black Panther
Moon Knight

Everything else

PaxHouse

Jun 24, 2011, 07:43 am

These're the ones that I would like to see soon.......

Fantastic Four
New Warriors
Nova
Power Pack
Cloak & Dagger
Runaways
New Mutants
X-Force
(And maybe)Young Avengers

slevin87

Jun 24, 2011, 08:00 am

slevin87 wrote:

Howard The Duck
X-Force/X-Statix

I am 100% in support of these. Two of my all-time favorite Marvel series (Milligan and Allred's X-Force more than its predecessors), so I'd love for them to be covered.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jun 24, 2011, 10:25 pm

Not yet suggested:

Human Torch (covering Hammond and Storm solo or with Toro adventures, including Marvel Mystery Comics)
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (profiles often have new info so such info's first mention could be noted)
Captain Marvel
Sgt/Nick Fury
Doctor Doom (eg Astonishing Tales, Super-Villain Team-Up)
What If (which often has brief new appearances of 616 characters worth cataloguing)
Marvel Comics Presents (if not covered in the upcoming Wolverine series)
Eseentials and other collections (in some cases there's been art changes, etc, such as magazine nudity being removed)
Ultimate Spider-Man
Marvel 2-in-1/Thing
She-Hulk

Roger Ott

Jun 25, 2011, 08:30 am

Ooo...I second the What If Index...that'd be too cool.

captainswift

Jun 25, 2011, 09:36 pm

The 70s Horror stuff, I'd be really giddy about. Plus the other BIG series that haven't been done yet (Hulk, FF, Daredevil, Defenders)

Andy E. Nystrom

Jun 26, 2011, 05:43 am

captainswift wrote:

The 70s Horror stuff, I'd be really giddy about. Plus the other BIG series that haven't been done yet (Hulk, FF, Daredevil, Defenders)

Agreed about the horror stuff. In particular Werewolf by night and Tomb of Dracula (the latter would be a nice tribute to the sadly now deceased Gene Colan, who drew every non-magazine issue)

DrGoodwrench

Jun 26, 2011, 08:21 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Marvel 2-in-1/Thing
She-Hulk

I'd like to second the requests for these two. Of course, with index books not selling fantastically even with big titles being covered, I guess it's unlikely we'll see any really obscure ones.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jun 26, 2011, 10:22 am

DrGoodwrench wrote:

Of course, with index books not selling fantastically even with big titles being covered, I guess it's unlikely we'll see any really obscure ones.

Hard to say. One nice thing about the 3-title system and that a weaker title can piggy bank on the stronger titles. And Marvel has certainly put out stuff that it must have known would have a limited market, such as Essential Monster of Frankenstein. We can always hope.

More ideas:
Invaders (also covering Liberty Legion)
Luke Cage & Iron Fist (probably best covered in the same index for obvious reasons)
more Captain America (Sentinel of Liberty, Theater of War, etc)

Roger Ott

Jun 26, 2011, 11:19 am

Stuart would probably be the one to say for sure, but I'm guessing that the Indexes have thus far sold well enough to warrant the upcoming third volume, and hopefully beyond that. Andy's right, too, in that a weaker title can be grouped with something stronger to carry it along.

I'm also in favor of Indexes of the Invaders and Power Man & Iron Fist.

Andy E. Nystrom

Feb 20, 2012, 02:11 pm

Obviously my new wish list is:
Anything at all owned by Marvel not already covered in the modern series.

I wonder if an Index-Handbook hybrid (e.g. including a few index entries for Spider-Man mini-series at the back of a Spider-Man Handbook) would help things by providing a bit of variety, or if the Index part would drag sales down for the Handbook.

Eduardo M.

Feb 20, 2012, 05:14 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Obviously my new wish list is:
Anything at all owned by Marvel not already covered in the modern series.

I wonder if an Index-Handbook hybrid (e.g. including a few index entries for Spider-Man mini-series at the back of a Spider-Man Handbook) would help things by providing a bit of variety, or if the Index part would drag sales down for the Handbook.

Something that amuses to think about is an Index for the Handbooks. it could cover the 80s handbooks, the looseleaf version, and the various HBs starting from 2004. We could even have trivia in stuff like who had costumes that only showed up in HBs (like Angel and Cyclops in the DE)

Andy E. Nystrom

Feb 20, 2012, 05:45 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

Something that amuses to think about is an Index for the Handbooks. it could cover the 80s handbooks, the looseleaf version, and the various HBs starting from 2004. We could even have trivia in stuff like who had costumes that only showed up in HBs (like Angel and Cyclops in the DE)

One of favourite index entries was for Avengers Log in the Avengers tpb, listing all the discrepancies and the like.

Hmm, that gives me an idea. Maybe since sales don't permit any new index series, maybe here we can do an issue by issue examination starting with the original series, noting not just errors, but stuff like unique costumes as you say, plus where uncredited action shots were taken from and who drew them; and with the Deluxe series we could note cases where the main illo was adapted fro the original but with some distinct touch-ups (Black Knight/Whitman springs to mind). If we do this, maybe for the original series at least it should be done by series. While we'd be looking at some pretty big threads, the alternative is 100s of new threads in short order. Maybe for our sanity, limit errors and updates to what was known at the time.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera