Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 5:35 am  #1

Marvel: Your Universe Saga

Historical text from Comixfan:

Stuart V

Aug 10, 2008, 07:53 am

Figure this is worth mentioning here:

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstor..._Universe_Is_Y our_Must-Read_Guide_to
"Marvel is proud to unveil the cover to MARVEL: YOUR UNIVERSE, by fan favorite artist Tom Raney! Featuring a complete look at the major Marvel events of the last five years, as narrated by Watcher, this is your chance to catch up on everything! Is it all connected? What's next? These answers and more arrive in MARVEL: YOUR UNIVERSE!

Plus, MARVEL: YOUR UNIVERSE contains preview material from the new Marvel Handbook hardcovers along with never-before-seen handbook material!

And did we mention that this 32-page must-read comic is absolutely free? That's right True Believers, MARVEL: YOUR UNIVERSE is your guide to comics' most popular universe and absolutely free!

Retailers, please check the Marvel Mailer for special ordering instructions.

MARVEL: YOUR UNIVERSE (JUN088064)
Written by MADISON CARTER
Cover by TOM RANEY & SCOTT HANNA & JOHN RAUCH
RATED A…FREE!
On-Sale—8/27/08"

And just to confirm / clarify the above - yes, Marvel: Your Universe will include some completely new Handbook entries.

Eduardo M.

Aug 10, 2008, 01:34 pm

Let the speculation begin.

bigvis497

Aug 11, 2008, 11:57 am

Awesome, definately looking forward to this, especially since it's free! My guess as to who is the new entry(s)? Maybe the Red Hulk? He's on the cover.

Rayeye

Aug 11, 2008, 06:00 pm

Wow, sounds cool!

Question, will the profiles in this handbook be added in the OHOTMU hardcover series afterwards?

Stuart V

Aug 11, 2008, 06:03 pm

Rayeye wrote:

Wow, sounds cool!

Question, will the profiles in this handbook be added in the OHOTMU hardcover series afterwards?

Space permitting, yes, though some may have to wait to the final volume, as they have missed their alphabetical slot.

Eduardo M.

Aug 11, 2008, 06:45 pm

Space permitting, yes, though some may have to wait to the final volume, as they have missed their alphabetical slot.
hmmmmm...............

interesting.

this would mean some of the entries in this fall between the letters A to G, maybe even all the way to I.

hhhhmmmmmmmmm............................

Andy E. Nystrom

Aug 11, 2008, 10:07 pm

Stuart V wrote:

The new Captain Marvel sounds like a possibility then. Of course he was largely covered in Mar-Vell's entry but there's probably room to flesh him out even further as a distinct character.

RVcousin

Aug 12, 2008, 04:36 pm

Maybe this entries are about events (Civil War, House of M, Secret Invasion, World War Hulk, ...)

Stuart V

Aug 12, 2008, 06:01 pm

Before anyone gets too excited (I want excited, but I also want to manage expectations so no one gets too excited and then is disappointed) please note that as the solicit mentions it is a 32 page title, some of which is the Watcher's narration, some of which is preview material from the handbook hardcovers (e.g. stuff which is in the hardcovers), and some of which is new handbook material. In other words, not 32 pages worth of new handbook material.

However, this is also free! So, for those of you who are buying all the hardcovers anyway, this is a bonus, even though you might own some of the handbook entries already. For those with friends who don't pick up the handbooks, encourage them to check this out - it's a no-cost introduction to the series, plus a great summary of the last few years worth of Marvel history from the Watcher. If some of those friends like what they see in the handbook portion, then encourage them to give the handbooks proper a go - as ever, good sales means continuing handbooks.

Oh, and to clarify something I said earlier, I should have said "some may have to wait to the final volume, as they may have missed their alphabetical slot."

I'm not giving any real hints about who gets covered, other than to point out that just because the hardcovers are past E now does not mean that the new entries can't be earlier (or later) in the alphabet.

RVcousin

Aug 27, 2008, 04:26 pm

I can't wait until friday, so my question is :

Who's in ?
Who's in ?
Who's in ?

I can't wait anymore, please... :lonely:

bigvis497

Aug 27, 2008, 04:33 pm

The Skrull Captain Marvel (1/2 page), Groot (1 page) & Ajak from Eternals (1 page. It also has 1 page explaining the history of the handbooks. Then there's a hodgepodge of stuff reprinted from the hardcovers, don't think there were any differences. It had Big Hero 6, Brood, Captain America (Barnes), Diamondback (Bertrand) & Griffin. Then it has Wakanda from the atlas. I think thats's all of them.

RVcousin

Aug 27, 2008, 04:34 pm

Thank you very much!   :Biggrin:

Sidney Osinga

Aug 27, 2008, 07:14 pm

I should add that the center picture on the third page of the Wakanda entry has been recolored, so the mountain ranges don't look like lakes anymore. Also, a sentence talking about Venomm has been added to the Superhuman Residents section.
The first 17 pages of the book summarize the major events in the Marvel Universe from Secret War.

Andy E. Nystrom

Aug 27, 2008, 08:48 pm

Yay! Guessed one! Hopefully he, Ajak, and Groot with make it to the extra section in the final volume of the hardcovers.

bigvis497

Aug 28, 2008, 04:02 pm

Whoops, forgot Digitek was included as well. Just wondering, was there any reasoning behind which entries were reprinted in here? It seems like they were picked at random, as there's no real theme/connection to what's included. That being said, I'm very grateful for the new entries! The Groot entry was particularly well done! I would like to see the Saga done on an annual basis, the Watcher narrative was very informative. This would be a great way to keep up with the Marvel U, especially the books you might not have been following.

Madison Carter

Aug 28, 2008, 09:13 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Whoops, forgot Digitek was included as well. Just wondering, was there any reasoning behind which entries were reprinted in here? It seems like they were picked at random, as there's no real theme/connection to what's included. That being said, I'm very grateful for the new entries! The Groot entry was particularly well done! I would like to see the Saga done on an annual basis, the Watcher narrative was very informative. This would be a great way to keep up with the Marvel U, especially the books you might not have been following.

Thank you for the kind words.

Believe it or not, I had reasons behind all choices for the Handbook selections. The new ones, Groot, Ajak and the Captain Marvel Skrull are all part of big books out now, so we wanted to showcase them. As far as the reprints go, as this was basically a primer for those who haven't kept up, we wanted to introduce them to the new Captain America. Beyond that, I chose Big Hero 6 due to their new book, Diamondback because of her involvement with Secret War, Griffin due to his involvement in the Raft and Hood arcs in New Avengers, Digitek because he was one of the (supposed) casualties of the Civil War, the Brood because we wanted an alien race represented and one member of the race has been very active in World War Hulk. Basically, all the characters are in some way tied into what was discussed in the Saga half. Due to space limitations, we had to go mostly with 1/2 or 1-pagers. The Atlas piece, Wakanda, was chosen because it - to me - gives the richest exposure to a Marvel-created country and it had a lot of visuals to go along with it.

Thanks again!

DrGoodwrench

Aug 29, 2008, 06:38 pm

I know it's been said already, but this thing is great. It was interesting to see where Silent War fits in (I know it's in the profiles but it's shown here with a nice Fraser Irving picture that makes it stick in the memory better).

Out of interest, how much of what was included was dictated by Marvel from on-high? I assume things like Skaar were included to boost sales. There's obviously nothing wrong with this, I'm just wondering.

Madison Carter

Aug 29, 2008, 07:35 pm

DrGoodwrench wrote:

I know it's been said already, but this thing is great. It was interesting to see where Silent War fits in (I know it's in the profiles but it's shown here with a nice Fraser Irving picture that makes it stick in the memory better).

Out of interest, how much of what was included was dictated by Marvel from on-high? I assume things like Skaar were included to boost sales. There's obviously nothing wrong with this, I'm just wondering.  

Not really any way to say what was dictated or not, as projects like these don't quite work like that. What we set out to do - myself and editorial - was simply to hit the high points over the past few years as well as shine a spotlight on a lot of the books out now. Certainly there was a lot of give and take, and even after the book was turned in, suggestions were still being offered.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I do feel bad that due to space limitations I couldn't get to everything I wanted to (Civil War especially got the short end of the stick in this regard), but them's the breaks. Even now I'm kicking myself over things that didn't get included fully (Exiles, the Avengers/Invaders, Deadpool).

Sidney Osinga

Sep 1, 2008, 04:09 pm

By the time the twelfth issue of the hardcover rolls around, Secret Invasion will be (long) over. Would I be wrong to assume that by that time, there would be enough information on Captain Marvel (Khn'nr) to warrant a full page entry?

Madison Carter

Sep 2, 2008, 08:50 am

By the time the twelfth issue of the hardcover rolls around, Secret Invasion will be (long) over. Would I be wrong to assume that by that time, there would be enough information on Captain Marvel (Khn'nr) to warrant a full page entry?

In theory sure. Whether or not he gets it is another matter.

Andy E. Nystrom

Jun 3, 2010, 12:07 am

List of Changes in Hardcovers (or vice versa where noted)

Ajak
Hardcover Volume: 14
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: New sentence added to end of final History paragraph
Graphic Changes: new secondary illo

Big Hero 6
Hardcover Volume: 1 (preceded Your Universe)
Text/Graphic Changes: None

Brood (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 2
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Text Changes: Last History paragraph on the 1st page slightly expanded
Graphic Changes: None

Captain America (Barnes)
Hardcover Volume: 2 (preceded Your Universe)
Page Count: Unchanged at 3

Captain Marvel (Khn’nr)
Page Count: Unchanged at ½
Text Changes: 2 new sentences added to end of final History paragraph

Diamondback (Bertrand)
Hardcover Volume: 3 (preceded Your Universe)
Page Count: Unchanged at ½

Digitek
Hardcover Volume: 3 (preceded Your Universe)

Griffin
Hardcover Volume: 4 (I can’t recall the exact order, but Your Universe and this hardcover published within weeks of each other)

Groot
Text Changes: End of final History paragraph revised/expanded. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded at end

Wakanda
This is a Marvel Atlas style entry and thus beyond the scope of the hardcovers

Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 3, 2010, 12:08 am

I would have liked to have seen that as well. Ah well.

sucellos11
Jun 3, 2010, 08:16 am

Great work as usual Andy!

About Wakanda, well, if Netherlands was included in the final volume I would have appreciated if Wakanda was included too.

bigvis497

Jun 4, 2010, 11:51 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

List of Changes in Hardcovers (or vice versa where noted)

Griffin
Hardcover Volume: 4 (I can’t recall the exact order, but Your Universe and this hardcover published within weeks of each other)

If my memory is correct, I'm pretty sure these actually came out on the same day.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera