Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 8:46 am  #1

Marvel Legacy: The 1970s Handbook

Historical info from Comixfan site:

Eric J. Moreels

Mar 14, 2006, 11:56 pm

Coming in May from Marvel Comics...

MARVEL LEGACY: THE 1970s HANDBOOK
Written by "JIVIN'" JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, "ASTONISHING" AL SJOERDSMA, MICHAEL "HOT DOG" HOSKIN, "SHINY" SEAN MCQUAID, "SAVAGE" STUART VANDAL, "MOJO" MARK O'ENGLISH, "RELIABLE" RONALD BYRD, "ANTHROPOMORPHIC" ANTHONY FLAMINI, "MELLOW" MIKE FICHERA, "BATTLIN" BARRY REESE, "MANIACAL" MADISON CARTER, "CHILLAXIN'" CHRIS BIGGS, "ELECTRIFYIN'" ERIC J. MOREELS
Cover by "OUR PAL" Sal Buscema

From the Venerable Vaults of Marveldom, it's the Mighty Marvel Handbook -- 1970s style! Just what is the 1970s Handbook, you ask? Imagine a Handbook written at 11:59 p.m. Dec. 31, 1979. The profiles within cover everything published by the hallowed House of Ideas up until that point. So if it's from a comic that has a December 1979 cover date or earlier, you'll find it in this magnificent mag! Featuring the Avengers, Captain Marvel, the Defenders, the Fantastic Four, Power Man, the Punisher and the X-Men as they were in the 1970s, as well as'70s-era characters such as Black Brother, the Deadly Dozen, the Faceless One, Golem, Hellcow, Lady Liberators, Manphibian, Ms. Marvel, Mr. Zodiac, Sons of the Tiger, They Who Wield Power, Xorr the God-Jewel and more!

64 PGS./NO ADS/ Rated T+ ...$4.99

Playmobil

Mar 15, 2006, 02:06 pm

Great to know the Defenders will be there.

Madison Carter

Mar 16, 2006, 11:15 pm

That cover is 'Fro-Arific!

eh_ver

Mar 22, 2006, 03:47 pm

The 1960s handbook was actually one of my favorite things to have come out in quite a long time, so I'm really excited to see the rest of this series come out. I love that stuntmaster is on the same cover as wolverine and punisher. stuntmaster...awesome. keep up the great work with this series!

Captain America

Apr 3, 2006, 06:09 am

Eric, were you involved with the 1960s Handbook, too?
It went under my radar when it was released last month, but next semester I'm writing a dissertation on comics from the 60s and it might be a great help. If you were involved, could you maybe give me a brief rundown on what it contained exactly? If it sounds like it'll be useful I'll have to track it down!

Madison Carter

Apr 3, 2006, 12:31 pm

Captain America wrote:

It went under my radar when it was released last month, but next semester I'm writing a dissertation on comics from the 60s and it might be a great help. If you were involved, could you maybe give me a brief rundown on what it contained exactly? If it sounds like it'll be useful I'll have to track it down!

Eric was indeed involved. It's in Handbook style, but is written as if it was published at the end of 1969. Lots of characters in it that haven't been seen since (Hidden Man! Mechano! Time Master!). If you're writing on 60's comics, you'll probably have at least a fair mention of the use of evil communist characters from the time, and this book is loaded with them.

Captain America

Apr 4, 2006, 08:04 am

Madison Carter wrote:

If you're writing on 60's comics, you'll probably have at least a fair mention of the use of evil communist characters from the time, and this book is loaded with them.

Excellent! Thank you very much, I'll see to it that my retailer dude reorders it for me (if there isn't a copy available, that is). Cheers!

Playmobil

Apr 4, 2006, 02:05 pm

Captain America wrote:

Something else you should consider mentioning on your dissertation is the bit of paranoia that existed in the 60s towards radiation and nuclear power. There's a fair number of character whose origins are related to radiation, like Daredevil, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Spider-Man, not to mention the X-Men, when they appeared it used to be said not that mutants were a different species but the offspring of parents exposed to radiation.

Captain America

Apr 6, 2006, 12:25 pm

Hey Playmobil, thanks that's a really interesting idea! The 1960s Handbook is on order, should get it next week - I'll need to get me some Essential collections too!

Playmobil

Apr 7, 2006, 03:55 pm

Captain America wrote:

Hey Playmobil, thanks that's a really interesting idea! The 1960s Handbook is on order, should get it next week - I'll need to get me some Essential collections too!

Glad I could help!

Eric J. Moreels

May 18, 2006, 06:42 am

Out this week!!!

What'd everyone think?

eh_ver

May 18, 2006, 07:22 am

I love it so far. I actually got through near half of it last night (with fussy baby in my arms half the time, actually). My one complaint is that there were about half as many characters covered in this volume. I get that the number of pages per character was upped, but I hope this isn't a continuing trend getting into the 80s. Regardless, loved it. It was really cool to see Korrek and Black Brother and the big Cs (committee, conspiracy and the corporation). Keep it up, guys! I hope these sell enough that we can see a 'prequel' and get a 1950s issue on the stand.

maniac mike
May 23, 2006, 09:19 pm

My favorite entry has to be HELLCOW :lol:, whoever created her was DEFINITELY on drugs!

Eric J. Moreels

May 24, 2006, 04:52 am

maniac mike wrote:

My favorite entry has to be HELLCOW :lol:, whoever created her was DEFINITELY on drugs!

Hahahamooooo!

:lol:

Playmobil

May 24, 2006, 10:15 am

maniac mike wrote:

I haven't got it yet, so who's Hellcow? Is that an evil Bova?

Michael Regan

May 24, 2006, 10:24 am

Playmobil wrote:

I haven't got it yet, so who's Hellcow? Is that an evil Bova?

No, just a vampire cow. Apparently Dracula could not find a victim and fed off of a cow. She was destroyed by Howard the Duck.

Madison Carter

May 24, 2006, 12:20 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

No, just a vampire cow. Apparently Dracula could not find a victim and fed off of a cow. She was destroyed by Howard the Duck.

"Just" a vampire cow? Just?

Michael Regan

May 24, 2006, 12:25 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

"Just" a vampire cow? Just?

Considering it appeared in the second story in Giant-Size Man-Thing #5 and was killed by an anthromorphic duck, yes, just :Rolleyes:

TheMetalMetrosexual

May 25, 2006, 08:10 am

I think this touched on several cultural points specific to the age and gave a good feel for the some of the new trends in Marvel. Black Brother, Cage, Goliath, and others showing the clumsy hand of blaxploitation, Hypno-Hustler and Stunt-Master epitomizing some of the pop culture, and of course, plenty of martial arts. The temporal paradox of the Magus and his trippy, symbolic defeat feels pretty well the product of maturing hippies. A very interesting turn towards a darker side with the numerous occult characters and conspiracy angles/groups in mainstream titles (Commitee, Conspiracy, etc.). Then some interesting 40's retcons and war characters. Of course, at least two characters from the awesomeness of MTU and MTIO. Mahkizmo (hahaha!). Oh, and Mr. Zodiac...man, you guys know your stuff.

Michael Regan

May 25, 2006, 01:50 pm

Not to mention the sheer number of B&W Magazines that were popular at the time.

Stuart V

May 25, 2006, 02:09 pm

TheMetalMetrosexual wrote:

I think this touched on several cultural points specific to the age and gave a good feel for the some of the new trends in Marvel. Black Brother, Cage, Goliath, and others showing the clumsy hand of blaxploitation, Hypno-Hustler and Stunt-Master epitomizing some of the pop culture, and of course, plenty of martial arts. The temporal paradox of the Magus and his trippy, symbolic defeat feels pretty well the product of maturing hippies. A very interesting turn towards a darker side with the numerous occult characters and conspiracy angles/groups in mainstream titles (Commitee, Conspiracy, etc.). Then some interesting 40's retcons and war characters. Of course, at least two characters from the awesomeness of MTU and MTIO. Mahkizmo (hahaha!). Oh, and Mr. Zodiac...man, you guys know your stuff.

Mr. Zodiac's not the most obscure reference in there (though he comes close). Try spotting the reference to a truly obscure MUK character in the book.

Michael Regan

May 25, 2006, 02:38 pm

Hey, how about an Earth-Hostess handbook? Focus on all those vilains who were thwarted by the deliciousness of Hostess Fruit Pies :yum:

Stuart V

May 25, 2006, 02:46 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

Hey, how about an Earth-Hostess handbook? Focus on all those vilains who were thwarted by the deliciousness of Hostess Fruit Pies :yum:

At least one of those villains exists on Earth-616, so maybe one day... Though even they aren't as obscure as some of the characters I'd like to see covered.

Michael Regan

May 25, 2006, 02:54 pm

Stuart V wrote:

At least one of those villains exists on Earth-616, so maybe one day... Though even they aren't as obscure as some of the characters I'd like to see covered.

There are characters more obscure than the Hell Cow? (well, at least she was in a Man-Thing comics with Howard the Duck so she had popular company.)

eh_ver

May 25, 2006, 03:21 pm

So how have the sales on this book looked so far? Are we definitely going to see an 80s Handbook? Considering the time inbetween the 60s and 70s book, I figure we would see the 80s book in September, right? I'm really curious as to who you guys would put in that one.

Stuart V

May 25, 2006, 03:30 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

There are characters more obscure than the Hell Cow? (well, at least she was in a Man-Thing comics with Howard the Duck so she had popular company.)

Oh yes. Try Seth Youngblood, Assassin-8, Euroforce (who we covered in the Teams Handbook), le comte Alvise Gianus, Dog Pound, Chill, Necromon, Thunderclap, el Supremo, Lord Hawk, old Sarah Mumford, the Iron Ogre (who managed to break the Black Knight's Ebony Blade), Susquatch, the Taxman, Archie the Gruesome, the Danger Twins, Leopard Girl, Man-Oo, Dr. Weird (covered in the FF Encyclopedia), Tymok, Lightwave, Shikata, the Arachnoid, Buff, Refrax, etc.

Michael Regan

May 25, 2006, 04:27 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Oh yes. Try Seth Youngblood, Assassin-8, Euroforce (who we covered in the Teams Handbook), le comte Alvise Gianus, Dog Pound, Chill, Necromon, Thunderclap, el Supremo, Lord Hawk, old Sarah Mumford, the Iron Ogre (who managed to break the Black Knight's Ebony Blade), Susquatch, the Taxman, Archie the Gruesome, the Danger Twins, Leopard Girl, Man-Oo, Dr. Weird (covered in the FF Encyclopedia), Tymok, Lightwave, Shikata, the Arachnoid, Buff, Refrax, etc.

Well, you got me there. Can I make a suggestion, and not just for an update. How about a Monster Handbook. Not a redone Horror, but classic Marvel Monsters, not no just from 1961 forward, imaginary, aliens etc.
How about creatures like Glob (Strange Tales #88), Bombu (Journey Into Mystery #60), Googam (Tales of Suspence #17), Groot (Tales to Astonish #13), Rorgg (Journey Into Mystery #64), Zemu (Amazing Adventures #3), Manoo (Amazing Adventures #2), Ufo (Yellow Claw #3), Mongu (Incredible Hulk #4), Krang (Tales to Astonish #14), Titano (Tales to Astonish #10), etc.

Love those monsters!

Stuart V

May 25, 2006, 04:33 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

Well, you got me there. Can I make a suggestion, and not just for an update. How about a Monster Handbook. Not a redone Horror, but classic Marvel Monsters, not no just from 1961 forward, imaginary, aliens etc.
How about creatures like Glob (Strange Tales #88), Bombu (Journey Into Mystery #60), Googam (Tales of Suspence #17), Groot (Tales to Astonish #13), Rorgg (Journey Into Mystery #64), Zemu (Amazing Adventures #3), Manoo (Amazing Adventures #2), Ufo (Yellow Claw #3), Mongu (Incredible Hulk #4), Krang (Tales to Astonish #14), Titano (Tales to Astonish #10), etc.

Love those monsters!

Bombu, Googam, Groot, Manoo and Rorgg were all covered in last year's Monster Handbook.

Zemu got covered in Marvel Legacy: The 1960s Handbook

Michael Regan

May 25, 2006, 04:43 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Bombu, Googam, Groot, Manoo and Rorgg were all covered in last year's Monster Handbook.

Zemu got covered in Marvel Legacy: The 1960s Handbook

Oops... missed those :bag: but I hope you get the idea I'm shooting for.

oenglish

May 26, 2006, 05:19 pm

eh_ver wrote:

So how have the sales on this book looked so far? Are we definitely going to see an 80s Handbook? Considering the time inbetween the 60s and 70s book, I figure we would see the 80s book in September, right? I'm really curious as to who you guys would put in that one.

Just an FYI - the 80s book is still scheduled, but it (and its successor) have been pushed back a tad by some summer event books (I believe the Western book and the Annihilation book have both been announced). So when you see eventually see the September releases but it isn't there, don't panic! it is coming...

Michael Regan

May 27, 2006, 05:59 am

oenglish wrote:

eh_ver wrote:

Just an FYI - the 80s book is still scheduled, but it (and its successor) have been pushed back a tad by some summer event books (I believe the Western book and the Annihilation book have both been announced). So when you see eventually see the September releases but it isn't there, don't panic! it is coming...

The original Handbooks came out in the 80's. Do we need a 'new' 80s Handbook?

Eric J. Moreels

May 27, 2006, 10:16 am

Michael Regan wrote:

The original Handbooks came out in the 80's. Do we need a 'new' 80s Handbook?

You betchya we do! There were a number of characters that missed out on a profile in the original Handbooks, so this will finally give them their time in the spotlight!

eh_ver

May 30, 2006, 03:38 pm

It is extremely important that the Gods of the 80s are in that Handbook.

Michael Regan

May 30, 2006, 03:39 pm

eh_ver wrote:

For example?

eh_ver

May 31, 2006, 12:26 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

For example?

It just is.

Rayeye

May 31, 2006, 02:41 pm

I have always been a huge fan of Marvel's handbooks, and although I really enjoyed the 1970s Handbook, I was a little dissapointed about the quality of most pictures. Okay, some pics are very old and I can understand it can be difficult to make them look good, but e.g. at some pics you could clearly see the 'backs' through it. Personally I liked the way how the character pictures were done in the 1960s Handbook, but in the 1970s Handbook it seems like the makers - for instance - didn't take the trouble to get rid of the text balloons. I hope the pictures in the next Marvel Legacy Handbooks will be much better.

Madison Carter

May 31, 2006, 08:21 pm

Believe it or not, the "quality" issues you've stated, all of them, were conscious decisions on Marvel's end to give the book a more 70s feel. None of this was out of negligence or laziness. Rest assured, the forthcoming issues will not have this particular style, but rather, something that fits more into their own era.

Rayeye

Jun 1, 2006, 01:51 am

Thank you for clearing it up.
But shouldn't have been done the pictures in the 1960s Handbook in a same way?

Playmobil

Jun 1, 2006, 07:38 am

eh_ver wrote:

I only hope by Gods of the 80's you don't mean Michael Jackson and Madonna. :-P

eh_ver

Jun 2, 2006, 07:39 am

Playmobil wrote:

I only hope by Gods of the 80's you don't mean Michael Jackson and Madonna. :-P  

No. There was this really really odd group in a comic I can't even remember that were kind of icons of that era. I know there was one that was basically a levi's commercial and another that was a walking atari system. Odd stuff.

William Keogh

Jun 2, 2006, 09:26 am

You aren't by chance referring to the Young Gods, are you?

Stuart V

Jun 2, 2006, 10:05 am

William Keogh wrote:

You aren't by chance referring to the Young Gods, are you?

No, he means these guys
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/gods80s.htm

Michael Regan

Jun 3, 2006, 06:46 am

Stuart V wrote:

No, he means these guys
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/gods80s.htm

Yes include those guys! I love those guys!

Rayeye

Jun 5, 2006, 04:54 am

I hope Dazzler will be the 1980s Handbook, and the Gladiators, Silence & Dust or any other Dazzler characters.

Michael Regan

Jun 5, 2006, 06:39 am

Rayeye wrote:

I hope Dazzler will be the 1980s Handbook, and the Gladiators, Silence & Dust or any other Dazzler characters.

Donèt forget She-Hulk and Spider-Woman vilains.

Playmobil

Jun 5, 2006, 11:30 am

Michael Regan wrote:

Yes include those guys! I love those guys!

Seems fit for the Official Handbook of the Mad Magazine Universe.

Michael Regan

Jun 5, 2006, 02:45 pm
Seems fit for the Official Handbook of the Mad Magazine Universe.
Unfortunately Mad falls under the DC banner. Perhaps a MAD Who's Who?

Stuart V

Jun 5, 2006, 03:41 pm

Rayeye wrote:

While I can't unfortunately confirm or deny specific profiles in upcoming books, I can explain a bit more the criteria we used for working out who would be covered in the themed books (and how that reflects back on the A-Z). Since the start of the 2005 themed books, with the knowledge we had a prolonged run, we took two points on board; first, its better to cover fewer characters thoroughly in a single book than to cover many poorly, and second, that ALL the Handbooks are a series, and we shouldn't penalise regular buyers by duplicating any more profiles than absolutely necessary. With the 2006 A-Z run, we took a risk to leave out big-hitters who have appeared in the themed books (for the most part), because if we'd covered them, we'd have been ripping off our loyal customers and would either have had to do overly short profiles or cover very few new people (try squeezing the themed books 20 issue list of characters into a 12 issue run).

When deciding who would go into the Legacy books, there were roughly three categories of characters chosen. With all of these categories, we knew we couldn't include everyone, as we had only one Handbook to do it in.

There's a selection (not all) of the big guns - X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, etc - taking a snapshot of where they had gotten to in their stories at that time (unencumbered by later retcons). Again, not all the big guns, because if you do that, you have no space for anyone else, but a selection, preferably when they were at an interesting point in their lives. Though Captain America had ditched his short-lived Nomad identity by the end of the 70s, its fun to see an entry on him as that character. It was interesting to realise while writing the 60s X-Men entry that at the end of the decade they were a couple of issues off finding out Prof X was alive, or that Nick Fury was likewise dead (and one month into the 1970s would be alive again).

There's some icons of that era, who somehow catch the flavour of that decade, even though they weren't big names. Black Goliath is a prime example - even though he was getting an entry in the A-Z, we included him in the 70s because he was very much a product of that decade. Again, we couldn't include every 70s icon - Howard the Duck, a 1970s icon, was left out as he had a very thorough A-Z entry coming (including him in the Legacy book would mean relegating a large number of appearances to the brief Where Are They Now section at the end of the books, but in spite of those additional appearances, his status quo hasn't changed much since 1979, meaning he didn't warrant two entries, unlike Bill Foster or Luke Cage). And its worth remembering that since the Legacy books only cover to the end of a given decade, if a character has tons of adventures to be chronicled after that decade, we'd probably leave them for the themed books or A-Z. I did find it ironic seeing one poster on another forum (forget where) berating the 1970s book for missing out the She-Hulk, since her first issue (cover dated 1980) actually came out in December 1979...entirely missing the point that a 1970s entry for her would be therefore be incredibly brief.

Lastly, there's the obscure folks of each decade, the ones who mostly appeared on or before then and probably won't warrant an entry elsewhere. Slitherogue, John Kowalski, the other Dr. Strange, etc Fascinating characters time (and modern writers) have forgotten. And at least one of the forgotten 1980s characters comes from the pages of Dazzler....

Novaya Havoc

Jun 5, 2006, 04:50 pm

Stuart V wrote:

And at least one of the forgotten 1980s characters comes from the pages of Dazzler....

$5 says it's the Blue Shield. ;D

Although I would pee if Lois London got a handbook entry.

Madison Carter

Jun 5, 2006, 09:31 pm

Novaya Havoc wrote:

Although I would pee if Lois London got a handbook entry.

Uhm, I'd recommend you do that anyway, because not doing so can cause all kinds of kidney problems.

Rayeye

Jun 9, 2006, 01:53 pm

Stuart V wrote:

And at least one of the forgotten 1980s characters comes from the pages of Dazzler....

Who will it be... Flame, Deathgrip, the Outriders or O.Z. Chase and his sigar-eating dog Cerberus? Oh, those 80's are all coming back to me

eh_ver

Jun 12, 2006, 12:23 pm

I'm curious as to why there weren't really any kung fu characters in here. Sure, Shang Chi and The Cat likely have bios elsewhere, but surely there were some good one shot wonders like that great Black Brother story? I'm not all that knowledgeable of that era, but I know there was a huge kung fu influx in the industry. Can anyone name any good characters of that decade?

Sean McQuaid

Jun 16, 2006, 09:36 pm

eh_ver wrote:

I'm curious as to why there weren't really any kung fu characters in here.

Not so...with a two-page Sons of the Tiger entry (plus martial arts baddie Steel Serpent), the kung fu genre gets at least some representation.

eh_ver wrote:

Sure, Shang Chi and The Cat likely have bios elsewhere

Shang Chi and Iron Fist both got full bios in the Marvel Knights handbook.

-Sean

Playmobil

Jun 23, 2006, 10:27 am

I liked it but I miss the artists credit.

Andy E. Nystrom

Apr 13, 2010, 08:57 am

List of changes in hardcovers

All: Art Credits, Place of Birth, Power Grid added (Power Numbers for ½ pagers). 1970s style colouring replaced with brighter colouring

Avengers
Hardcover Volume: 1
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 12
Text Changes: Vital Statistics, History revised/expanded (old History spans pages 3-4 of hardcover in revised form)
Graphic Changes: Main illo removed captioned revised, dialogue removed; 2ndary illo removed; new captioned main illo and 15 new secondary illos (11 captioned). Headshots: Issue Active added, old headshots removed, 86 new ones added, as well as 57 Avengers Civilian Staff & Associates headshots

Black Brother
Hardcover Volume: 2
Page Count: Unchanged at ½
Text Changes: None
Graphic Changes: Main illo colourized, full bodyshot, background and dialogue removed. Illo of Belle added.

Devil’s Heart
Hardcover Volume: 3
Graphic Changes: Illos cropped, story captions removed.

Black Lama
Hardcover Volume: 1
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: Distinguishing Feature moved to Abilities/Accessories
Graphic Changes: Kingdom illo removed

Brute
Text Changes: Final History paragraph reworked from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Dialogue removed from illos, secondary illo cropped.

Captain Marvel
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 4
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised; History and Abilities/Accessories heavily Revised and expanded
Graphic Changes: Main illo and one secondary illo removed; new main illo and five new secondary illos

Cobalt-Man
Text Changes: Final history paragraph revised/expanded from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Dialogue removed from illos, secondary illo cropped.

Committee
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Text Changes: Group Statistics revised and expanded, including info on new team. History: Final paragraph removed; paragraph before that incorporates info from Where are they Now?; 2 New paragraphs added, the first one also having info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Group shot removed. Moon Knight removed from headshots. 16 additional headshots formatted as per the older ones; a few characters renamed in headshots.

Conspiracy
Text Changes: Final History paragraph rewritten and new paragraph added incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Images colourized and dialogue removed. Main image cropped and new illo added.

Corporation
Text Changes: Former Members expanded. First History paragraph has Silvermane info from Where Are They Now?; material from latter incorporated into new final paragraph. Graphic Changes: Moonstone and Veil added to headshots; Ayala and Maris headshots colourized. Dialogue removed and captions added to bottom right shot of Captain America, Hulk et al.

Crusaders
Text Changes: Former Members have more alter egos. History completely revised and expanded.
Graphic Changes: Dialogue, extraneous characters and most of the background removed from the main illo. Dyna-Mite illo replaced with new one. Tommy Lighting illo has story caption removed and is now properly identified. New image identified as Alfie added.

Deadly Dozen
Graphic Changes: Dialogue and red line removed from main illo, new secondary illo.

Defenders
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 6
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. Initial History paragraphs somewhat revised, many new paragraphs added.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (original still present as captioned secondary shot. 3 new captioned secondary illos. The old 20 headshots completely replaced with 48 new ones with Active stats (some characters dropped as not true members).

Demon-Fire
Graphic Changes: Illos coloured, dialogue and some backgrounds removed

Doctor Glitternight
Text Changes: History completely revised.
Graphic Changes: Background removed from main illo, new captioned secondary shot.

Dragon Circle
Text Changes: Known Members revised, History completely revised, incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Largest illo heavily cropped.

Faceless One
Hardcover Volume: 4
Text Changes: History and Abilities/Accessories somewhat expanded, the former incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Background removed from main illo. Omni-Ship illo removed.

Fantastic Four
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 5
Text Changes: Team Stats and History completely revised and expanded.
Graphic Changes: Both illos dropped, 6 illos (3 captioned) plus 30 headshots added (13 members and 17 employees).

Father Darklyte
Graphic Changes: Illo now shows full body; illo’s background removed

Hellcow
Hardcover Volume: 5
Text Changes: new sentence added to end of History.
Graphic Changes: Background/dialogue removed from illo

Giant-Man
Now Listed As: Goliath
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 3
Text Changes: Vital Statistics, History, and abilities/Accessories mostly revised and expanded.
Graphic Changes: ackground removsed from original illo, 4 captioned secondary illos added.

Golem
Text Changes: Occupation/Group Affiliation revised. First 2 History paragraphs somewhat expanded; new sentences added to 3rd paragraph incorporating Where are They Now? material.
Graphic Changes: Illo now shows full body; illo’s background removed

Hypno-Hustler
Hardcover Volume: 5
Text Changes: Real Name, Occupation, Group Affiliation a little revised. Where are They Now? info added to end of History.
Graphic Changes: Main illo no longer cropped, background removed. New captioned secondary illo

Manphibian
Hardcover Volume: 8
Text Changes: Occupation & Group Affiliation revised. New final History paragraph.
Graphic Changes: New main illo; old illo cropped into headshot

Janus
Hardcover Volume: 6
Text Changes: Known Relatives/Education revised. 2nd and 3rd History paragraphs merged, with new sentence added to end of this paragraph; 2 new sentences added to end of final paragraph incorporating info from Where are They Now? (such info slightly added to previous paragraph. Physical Stats revised.
Graphic Changes: Background removed from main illo

Korrek
Text Changes: New final History paragraph incorporating info from Where are They Now? Eyes revised.
Graphic Changes: Background and text removed from main illo. Original text removed from secondary illo but caption added.

John Kowalski
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. Original History paragraphs merged and slightly revised; new final paragraph incorporating info from Where are They Now? Abilities/Accessories revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: New captioned headshot.

Lady Liberators
Text Changes: New Current Members category. Old Vital Statistics revised. History mostly revised/expanded, including info on new team.
Graphic Changes: Old illo dialogue removed but captions added. New captioned illos of new team.

Liberty Legion
Text Changes: History mostly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Old illo replaced with new captioned one.

Magus
Hardcover Volume: 7
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: Vital Statistics and Physical Stats revised. Old History text replaced with new, expanded text. Old Abilities/Accessories paragraph revised at the start, with two new paragraphs added at end.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now cropped, thus eliminating dialogue, and captioned). One secondary illo has dialogue replaced with captioned; the other replaced with new captioned illo.

Mahkizmo
Text Changes: Original History paragraphs slightly expanded and new final one added, all incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Background/dialogue removed from main illo. Secondary illos cropped with old dialogue/story captions removed. Two now share a caption.

Man-Wolf
Now Listed As: John Jameson
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 3
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History mostly revised and expanded, including details from Where are They Now? Note added. Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten and expanded.
Graphic Changes: New captioned main illo (old one captioned secondary). Secondary illos removed, 3 new captioned secondary illos as well as Elliott] R. Brown plane design specs which may be unique to this volume

Martian Masters
Text Changes: Known Members and Base of Operations revised. Traits somewhat revised/expanded. History mostly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Top illo removed. Dialogue removed from lower illo. 4 new captioned secondary illos.

Matador
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised/expanded. Note reworked into a new first History paragraph; other paragraphs somewhat revised, new final paragraph incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Background removed from old main illo. Secondary illo replaced with new one.

Missing Link
Text Changes: Final History paragraph greatly expanded at end, incorporating info from Where are They Now? Hair revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illos replaced with new main illo and 2 new secondary illos.

Mister Kline
Text Changes: First and last History paragraphs tweaked to provide an Earth number. Eyes, Hair, and Abilities/Accessories revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Background, foreground, and dialogue removed from main illo. Two secondary illos cropped/dialogue removed, Emil illo removed.

Mr. Zodiac
Hardcover Volume: 8
Now Listed As: Mister Zodiac
Text Changes: Citizenship revised. History tweaked to reflect adjusted birthplace.
Graphic Changes: Images colourized; background removed from main illo; secondary illos cropped into headshots

Sky-Walker
Hardcover Volume: 11
Text Changes: Aliases, Citizenship revised. History greatly revised/expanded, incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Background other than energy removed from main illo

Ms. Marvel
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 4
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised/expanded. History and Abilities/Accessories replaced with new, expanded text.
Graphic Changes: Main illo and 2 of the 3 secondary illos removed. New main illo, 6 new secondary illos, 2 captioned.

Nomad
Now Listed As: Captain America (Rogers)
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 8
Text Changes: Vital Statistics, History, Abilities/Accessories completely revised and expanded.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one still present in slightly modified format). Secondary illo removed, 11 illos added.

Power Man
Now Listed As: Luke Cage
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 4
Text Changes: Vital Statistics, History, and Abilities/Accessories heavily revised and expanded.
Graphic Changes: New main illo with old one now a secondary illo. Other illo removed but three new secondary illos added.

Prime Mover
Hardcover Volume: 9
Text Changes: Final History paragraph greatly expanded, incorporating info from Where are They Now? Abilities/Accessories mostly revised/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo replaced with new one

Psyklop
Text Changes: None (Where are They Now? info not used)
Graphic Changes: Background removed from main illos; saecondary illo reformatted/captioned/dialogue removed

Punisher
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 5
Text Changes: Vital Statistics mostly revised/expanded. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 6 new secondary illos (3 captioned, one being a classic Elliot R. Brown van cross-section)

Royalist Forces of America
Text Changes: New final History paragraph incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Largest illo removed; dialogue removed from another illo; new captioned secondary illo. 2 headshots replaced with new ones with names now spelled out, and three more added; headshots now list First Appearances

Slitherogue
Text Changes: New sentence at end of History incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and new secondary illo

Steel Serpent
Now Listed As: Steel Serpent (Unidentified)
Text Changes: History greatly revised/expanded
Graphic Changes: Illo colourized, background removed

Sons of the Tiger
Hardcover Volume: 10
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 3
Text Changes: All Former Members now listed as Current Members, but there is still a revised Former Members category. Base of Operations revised. History considerably revised/expanded, including info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: 1 illo removed, three colourized (one illo has dialogue removed and is captioned, one doesn’t, the third is cropped to mainly show the pendant, thus also removing the dialogue). 7 new captioned secondary illos (though 2 share a caption)

Star Thief
Now Listed As: Star Thief (Bauman)
Text Changes: History greatly revised/expanded (within the paragraphs), incorporating info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: One illo now captioned, one cropped and dialogue removed. 2 new captioned secondary illos

Stunt-Master
Text Changes: 2nd History paragraph split in two and expanded, then 2 new final paragraphs, the first including info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old largest illo removed); 2nd largest illo’s dialogue removed

Tagak the Leopard Lord
Text Changes: History somewhat expanded, Abilities/Accessories tweaked.
Graphic Changes: Top illo heavily altered into more clearly main illo, lower illo removed, two new secondary illos (1 captioned)

They Who Wield Power
Hardcover Volume: 12
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History greatly revised/expanded, including info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: 2 illos captioned/dialogue removed (one one case some background removed). 3 new secondary illos (2 captioned)

Elaine Turac
Text Changes: History somewhat revised, including new final sentence.
Graphic Changes: Main illo less cropped, with background/dialogue removed. One secondary illo heavily cropped, the other removed.

Victorius
Text Changes: History minor revisions (e.g. alter egos added; Where are They Now info not added)
Graphic Changes: New main illo; middle illo removed, other illos cropped/story text removed; Crystal caption rewritten

Virago
Text Changes: None (Where are They Now info not added)
Graphic Changes: Main illo less cropped, background/dialogue removed; secondary illo less cropped; new secondary illo

Wraith
Hardcover Volume: 13
Text Changes: Occupation, Known Relatives, Group Affiliation revised. Minor changes to older History paragaphs, then new final paragraph including info from Where are They Now?
Graphic Changes: Old illos removed; new main illo and 3 new captioned secondary illos

X-Men
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 12
Text Changes: Vital Statistics mostly rewritten/expanded, with mostly different Members categories. History completely rewritten/expanded
Graphic Changes: Old illos removed; new main illo and 29 new secondary illos (19 captioned). 7 new team headshots, 47 new sub-team headshots, 3 imposter headshots, all with issues active

Xorr the God-Jewel
Text Changes: Final History paragraph greatly expanded including info from Where are They Now? Eyes/Hair tweaked
Graphic Changes: Main illo background/dialogue removed; secondary illo dialogue removed; new secondary illo

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera