Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 9:23 am  #1

Marvel Mystery Handbook: 70th Anniversary Special

Historical text from Comixfan:

shazam2271
Jun 15, 2009, 07:32 pm

MARVEL MYSTERY HANDBOOK: 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL
Written by MICHAEL HOSKIN, RONALD BYRD, ANTHONY FLAMINI, STUART VANDAL, KEVIN GARCIA, JACOB ROUGEMONT, DAVID WILTFONG & SEAN MCQUAID
Cover by MITCH BREITWEISER
As the Marvel Universe celebrates 70 years of the world's greatest comics, journey back to where it all began -- OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE style! Featuring the greatest characters of Marvel's first year -- a year that not only gave us the Sub-Mariner, the Human Torch, the Angel and Ka-Zar, but also THE TWELVE's Black Widow, Phantom Bullet, Electro, Mister E, Dynamic Man, Phantom Reporter, Fiery Mask, Master Mind Excello and Laughing Mask! Also featuring a host of oddities from Fletcher Hanks' Whirlwind Carter to Taxi Taylor! Plus: an introduction by Timely comics scholar Dr. Michael J. Vassallo!
64 PGS./Rated T+ ...$4.99

Hopefully this will include some of the more obscure characters of Marvel's Golden Age! A shame that the Twelve hasn't finished yet. Hopefully JMS will find time after working on the Archie Red Circle characters and doing Brave and the Bold. Here's hoping.

Jon
Sidney Osinga
Jun 16, 2009, 01:18 am

Oh, hells yes! This will be so awesome. I assume that the Masked Raider, the western character from the first dozen Marvel Mystery Comics, will be included, as well as the Ferret and the original Falcon. And hopefully the inclusion of the Twelve characters is a sign that we may see the rest of the series soon.

gorby
Jun 16, 2009, 05:21 am

Oh yeah, I want it !!!!!!!!!!!

It will be marvellous !!!!!!!!

slevin87
Jun 16, 2009, 11:16 am

'Bout time we got another Handbook dealing with Golden Age characters. Wonder how Straczynski's changes to the Black Widow and (apparently) the Fiery Mask's origins will be handled?

Michael Regan
Jun 16, 2009, 11:23 am

And Rockman

Eduardo M.
Jun 16, 2009, 11:52 am

Nice to see this coming out. Hopefully it will be out by my birthday.

Too bad its only dealing with the first year. I'd love to see entries an updated entry on Spirit of 76 and some half-pagers on guys like Captain Wonder.

Sidney Osinga
Jun 16, 2009, 08:29 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

And Rockman

Although he first appeared in 1941, so he probably wouldn't be covered in this book.

Anyways, here's a list of the books dated between Oct. 1939 and Oct. 1940 where the characters probably will be coming from:
Marvel Comics/Marvel Mystery Comics #s 1-12
Daring Mystery Comics #s 1-6
Mystic Comics #s 1-4
Red Raven Comics #1
Human Torch #2 (#1)

shazam2271
Jun 17, 2009, 06:44 am

Here's a list of characters that may appear :

Masked Raider
Ka-Zar the Great
Ken Masters
American Ace
Fiery Mask
'Soldier of Fortune', John Steele
The Texas Kid - Robin Hood of the Range
Monako, Prince of Magic
Flash Foster
Phantom of the Underworld
Zephyr Jones
The Phantom Bullet
Trojak The Tiger Man
K-4 and the Sky Devils
Mr. E
The Laughing Mask
Captain Strong of the Foreign Legion
The Medicine Man
The Purple Mask
Phantom Reporter
Marvex - Super Robot
G-Man, Don Gorman
Little 'Hercules' - The Boy Wonder - He's the Smartest and Strongest Boy in the World
Whirlwind Carter of the Interplanetary Secret Service
Breeze Barton
The Falcon
Marvel Boy
Stuporman
Dynaman
The Flying Flame
Flexo the Rubber Man
The Blue Blaze
Dakor the Magician
The Dynamic Man
The Master Mind Excello
Space Rangers
Taxi Taylor and His Wonder Car
The Invisible Man - Known as Dr. Gade
Zara of the Jungle
Hercules
Merzah "the Mystic"
The Black Widow
Officer O'Krime, It's a Crime He's an Officer...
Magar the Mystic, Recreator of Souls
The Eternal Brain
The Human Top
Mercury in the 20th Century
Toro, the Flaming Torch Kid
Microman
Electro, The Marvel of the Age
Ferret, Mystery Detective
Black Marvel

Personally hoping that Officer O'Krime is included. Just sounds like it would be a fun entry into the handbooks.

Jon

Stuart V
Jun 17, 2009, 12:01 pm

shazam2271 wrote:

Here's a list of characters that may appear :

Masked Raider
Ka-Zar the Great
Ken Masters
American Ace
Fiery Mask
'Soldier of Fortune', John Steele
The Texas Kid - Robin Hood of the Range
Monako, Prince of Magic
Flash Foster
Zephyr Jones
The Phantom Bullet
Trojak The Tiger Man
K-4 and the Sky Devils
Mr. E
The Laughing Mask
Captain Strong of the Foreign Legion
The Medicine Man
The Purple Mask
Phantom Reporter
Marvex - Super Robot
G-Man, Don Gorman
Little 'Hercules' - The Boy Wonder - He's the Smartest and Strongest Boy in the World
Whirlwind Carter of the Interplanetary Secret Service
Breeze Barton
The Falcon
Marvel Boy
Stuporman
Dynaman
The Flying Flame
Flexo the Rubber Man
The Blue Blaze
Dakor the Magician
The Dynamic Man
The Master Mind Excello
Space Rangers
Taxi Taylor and His Wonder Car
The Invisible Man - Known as Dr. Gade
Zara of the Jungle
Hercules
Merzah "the Mystic"
The Black Widow
Officer O'Krime, It's a Crime He's an Officer...
Magar the Mystic, Recreator of Souls
The Eternal Brain
The Human Top
Mercury in the 20th Century
Toro, the Flaming Torch Kid
Microman
Electro, The Marvel of the Age
Ferret, Mystery Detective
Black Marvel

Personally hoping that Officer O'Krime is included. Just sounds like it would be a fun entry into the handbooks.

Jon

While we can't say exactly who is profiled until after it is released, I will say that at least a couple of the people listed above might possibly be mentioned in passing in the book.

skippcomet
Jun 18, 2009, 03:33 pm

I dug up my copy of the Golden Age 2004 Handbook and looked at the first appearances of characters both in the main entries and in the one-page appendix, and was surprised to learn that only a handful of the characters listed first appeared in 1939. In fact, most of the characters listed in the solicitation for the Marvel Mystery Handbook didn't appear until 1940 or later.

Sidney Osinga
Jun 19, 2009, 04:15 am

skippcomet wrote:

I dug up my copy of the Golden Age 2004 Handbook and looked at the first appearances of characters both in the main entries and in the one-page appendix, and was surprised to learn that only a handful of the characters listed first appeared in 1939. In fact, most of the characters listed in the solicitation for the Marvel Mystery Handbook didn't appear until 1940 or later.

I think you misread the first post. This book covers the first year of Marvel comics, i.e. Oct. 1939 to Sept. or Oct. 1940. Otherwise, there wouldn't be many entries as there were only two books published in 1939.

Stuart V
Jun 19, 2009, 06:43 pm

I think from our point of view, what's been really cool about this particular book is the chance to cover a large number of characters who most readers will be unfamiliar with. Yes, there's several more prominent characters who debuted in the first year, ones who remain headliners to this day, and as the solicit shows, they get a look in, but there's also many fascinating but less well known characters too, including some whose adventures aren't readily available in reprinted form.

Sidney Osinga
Jun 20, 2009, 07:50 am

I've been thinking. Might some year one villains be included? Or how about supporting cast members like Professor Horton, Princess Fen, Emperor Thakorr, and Betty Dean Prentiss?

Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 20, 2009, 11:30 am

Can we assume that the histories will go on past the one-year mark and that the one year range only applies to who can be included, or will the book be Legacy-style?

Stuart V
Jun 20, 2009, 01:26 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I've been thinking. Might some year one villains be included? Or how about supporting cast members like Professor Horton, Princess Fen, Emperor Thakorr, and Betty Dean Prentiss?

As with most handbooks, we may cover title character, other heroes who show up, villains and supporting cast, as page counts permit. But we obviously can't say yes or no to any specific characters being included prior to publication.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Can we assume that the histories will go on past the one-year mark and that the one year range only applies to who can be included, or will the book be Legacy-style?

Yes, the histories will be up to date, not Legacy style.

skippcomet
Sep 15, 2009, 04:29 pm

Question: The last time a book was devoted to older, Golden Age characters, was in the Golden Age 2004 handbook, when characters' entries were limited to one page apiece in order to squeeze in as many characters as possible. (Many but not all entries were later expanded to two or more pages in subsequent editions.) Will characters in this handbook also be limited to one page apiece, or, if space permits and the character's history requires it, will we see some possible two-page entries?

Also, are there likely to be entries for previously covered characters in this?

Madison Carter
Sep 15, 2009, 06:21 pm

The page counts will definitely vary from 1/2 to several pages, depending on the characters.

captainswift
Sep 16, 2009, 01:25 am

Other than Namor and the Torch, I can't imagine too many characters will need more than one page. Betty Dean, maybe (crosses fingers that she's there). But features were in and out of those early books all the time, and very little by way of "significant" appearances occurred.

Michael Hoskin
Sep 30, 2009, 01:23 pm

It's in stores today!

You will no doubt enjoy all the new art by Gus Vazquez, who previously contributed to the Thor/Hercules Encyclopaedia Mythologica!

Alert eyes have noticed a lot of new art in the handbooks beginning with All-New Iron Manual and continuing through Wolverine: Weapon X Files. I think it's safe for me to tell you...expect even more in 2010!

shazam2271
Sep 30, 2009, 03:25 pm

Any chance of anyone who picked this up want to make a list of who is included in the handbook. I have one coming but it won't arrive until next week. No local comic shop and cheaper to order by mail order but sucks that I can't get the book the day it comes out

Jon

Stuart V
Sep 30, 2009, 03:48 pm

shazam2271 wrote:

Any chance of anyone who picked this up want to make a list of who is included in the handbook. I have one coming but it won't arrive until next week. No local comic shop and cheaper to order by mail order but sucks that I can't get the book the day it comes out

Jon

Angel (Halloway)
Breeze Barton
Black Widow (Voyant)
Blue Blaze
Whirlwind Carter
Dakor
Dale
Deadline Dawson
Betty Dean
Dave Dean
Dorma
Dorma
Dragon-Men
Dynaman
Dynamic Man
Electro (Zog's Robot)
Eternal Brain
Jimmy Everett
Falcon (Burgess)
Fen
Ferret
Fiery Mask
Flexo
Flying Flame
Flash Foster
Don Gorman
Green Flame
Lynne Harris
Hercules (David)
Phineas T. Horton
Human Top (Bravelle)
Human Torch (Hammond)
Invisible Man
Zephyr Jones
Ka-Zar (Rand)
Kalahia
Laughing Mask
Lion-People
Magar
Makkari
Mantor
Marvel Boy (Martin Simon Burns)
Marvex
Masked Raider
Master Mind Excello
Ken Masters
Leonard McKenzie
Merzah
Mister E
Monako
Barney Mullen
Muro
Namor the Sub-Mariner
Phantom Bullet
Phantom Reporter
Comet Pierce
Red Raven
Luther Robinson
Sky Devils
Space Rangers
John Steele
Captain Bob Strong
Taxi Taylor
Texas Kid
Emperor Thakorr
Thin Man
Three Xs
Tigerman
Toro (Raymond)
Trojak
Vampire
Terry Vance
Perry Webb
John Wilson
Zar
Zara
Philo Zog
Zombie Master

shazam2271
Sep 30, 2009, 06:17 pm

Stuart,

I just want to thank you for the content listing. I can't wait until my copy comes even more so. I was a bit disappointed that Officer O'Krime didn't recieve an entry but I suppose that the nature of the beast and not everyone could be included. I have enjoyed the special handbooks that the Handbook team have put out this year and hope to see more handbooks coming out shortly.

Jon

Michael Hoskin
Sep 30, 2009, 09:40 pm

shazam2271 wrote:

I just want to thank you for the content listing. I can't wait until my copy comes even more so. I was a bit disappointed that Officer O'Krime didn't recieve an entry but I suppose that the nature of the beast and not everyone could be included.

I don't wish to offend either of Officer O'Krime's fans, but I felt that he (and Stuporman) were best left out of the OHOTMU and I would have done the same to Ziggy Pig, Silly Seal, Super Rabbit or any other cartoon-style character. I feel that the Marvel Multiverse is primarily comprised of action/adventure characters and that the gag strip characters should be left to their own niche. This is just my philosophy, not necessarily policy.

shazam2271 wrote:

I have enjoyed the special handbooks that the Handbook team have put out this year and hope to see more handbooks coming out shortly.

Thank you very much! I enjoy making them and your hopes shall definitely be fulfilled!

captainswift
Oct 1, 2009, 02:14 am

Humor characters notwithstanding, that looks to be about as comprehensive as it could possibly be. I'm impressed.

Andy E. Nystrom
Oct 1, 2009, 02:23 pm

You know, looking through this Handbook, I've come up with a hypothesis as to why the Human Torch and Sub-Mariner were more successful than the other characters during the first year. Aside from the fire and water motifs playing off each other, both had a more fully fleshed out supporting cast, characters worthy of an entry in this handbook in their own right. Some of the other characters had a few supporting characters too, of course, but there was just something more to Betty Dean et al. With great power comes great visuals but they don't automatically provide compelling stories in of themselves.

TMFGC
Oct 1, 2009, 04:15 pm

Michael Hoskin wrote:

I don't wish to offend either of Officer O'Krime's fans, but I felt that he (and Stuporman) were best left out of the OHOTMU and I would have done the same to Ziggy Pig, Silly Seal, Super Rabbit or any other cartoon-style character. I feel that the Marvel Multiverse is primarily comprised of action/adventure characters and that the gag strip characters should be left to their own niche. This is just my philosophy, not necessarily policy.

Thank you very much! I enjoy making them and your hopes shall definitely be fulfilled!

I agree with the logic of not including them in his one, but considering Larvel Earth is in the Multiverse as well as the Star characters, I think other humor characters can fit in some weird way. Wouldn't mind them getting a handbook of their own one day.

Andy E. Nystrom
Oct 1, 2009, 05:44 pm

This is definitely a fun Handbook to look through. And as a concept it's great because conceivably if this sold well enough, it could go on for 70+ issues, 1 issue per year of publication. Doubt it would happen, and the 1950s would he a challenge, but fun to imagine.

A few nitpicks:
* Since all the characters are Golden Age, it might have been nice to see at least one Golden Age illo for each character, though Vasquez seems to have an affection for the era.
* For the Phantom Reporter, as per the first History paragraph, Dick should be listed as a nickname.
* Art credits are missing for Dale, Marvex, Phantom Bullet (hopefully this is an oversight and not the result of the information being forever lost due to lack of credit in the original stories).

And I promise not to rib the Handbook staff anymore about the Sub-Mariner oversight, as it's been corrected here.

gorby
Oct 2, 2009, 03:46 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

This is definitely a fun Handbook to look through. And as a concept it's great because conceivably if this sold well enough, it could go on for 70+ issues, 1 issue per year of publication. Doubt it would happen, and the 1950s would he a challenge, but fun to imagine.

:excited: +1

Now that's a dream I can dream :hope:

DrGoodwrench
Oct 2, 2009, 04:16 am

I got mine yesterday and it's great. I have a question regarding the way characters' names are displayed. I assume that because Hercules is listed as Hercules (David) on the back it's an oversight that he wasn't listed thus inside. But I worry that since there is no clarification on Mr E's name we'll never get a profile for the Mr E that fought the young Captain Universe. I know he was never high up on the list of characters needing profiles, but I worry that this is some kind of nail in his coffin.

Also, (and this will only make sense to Brits around my age, I think) on Makkari's profile it doesn't mention his time as a Blue Peter presenter.

The most frustrating thing about this handbook is that it reminds me how much I was enjoying the Twelve and how much I'd like to see the series completed.

Stuart V
Oct 2, 2009, 08:17 am

DrGoodwrench wrote:

I got mine yesterday and it's great. I have a question regarding the way characters' names are displayed. I assume that because Hercules is listed as Hercules (David) on the back it's an oversight that he wasn't listed thus inside.

No. We list aliases on the back, but only list the aliases in the interior entry title if there's another of the same in the same book.

DrGoodwrench wrote:

But I worry that since there is no clarification on Mr E's name we'll never get a profile for the Mr E that fought the young Captain Universe. I know he was never high up on the list of characters needing profiles, but I worry that this is some kind of nail in his coffin.

Again, no. This time the lack of alias is a mistake. Mr E should have had a clarifier on the back cover.

DrGoodwrench wrote:

Also, (and this will only make sense to Brits around my age, I think) on Makkari's profile it doesn't mention his time as a Blue Peter presenter.

I'm sorry, but the last real Blue Peter presenters were John Noakes and Peter Purves. Anyone after their time is doesn't count.

Michael Hoskin
Oct 2, 2009, 10:52 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I would love to run such a book; at the very least, I do hope to eventually help clear out some more of the 40s & 50s characters who have been left out up 'til now.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

* Art credits are missing for Dale, Marvex, Phantom Bullet (hopefully this is an oversight and not the result of the information being forever lost due to lack of credit in the original stories).

Not an oversight. Sorry.

Andy E. Nystrom
Oct 2, 2009, 11:25 am

Michael Hoskin wrote:

Not an oversight. Sorry.

Obviously normally I wouldn't want the Handbook people to make oversights, but it's a shame that the artists have had their names lost to the ages. That Dale drawing is particular is real nice, really conveys the feel of someone you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. Hopefully the artists have since learned that they've at least created something lasting.

Michael Regan
Oct 2, 2009, 11:25 am

Stuart V wrote:

I'm sorry, but the last real Blue Peter presenters were John Noakes and Peter Purves. Anyone after their time is doesn't count.

We can't forget Valerie Singleton at least, keeping up with the "Golden Years" of Blue Peter.

Stuart V
Oct 2, 2009, 11:30 am

Michael Regan wrote:

We can't forget Valerie Singleton at least, keeping up with the "Golden Years" of Blue Peter.

Valerie isn't after Noakes and Purves anyway, so that's not a problem.

Sidney Osinga
Oct 3, 2009, 07:52 pm

First of one, let me say how much I loved this Handbook. I love all the Handbooks, but since I especially like Golden Age characters, this one is one of my favorites. After all, it not only covers the well know, but also the obscure (Jimmy "Microman" Everett, the Flying Flame) and the bizarre (Taxi Taylor). Also nice was to see recent information such as from the Marvel Project and the 70th Anniversary Specials be added to entries that had already been covered i.e. Angel's.

I asked if villains and supporting cast would be covered and I was not disappointed. In addition to the ones I asked about, it was also nice to see Chief Wilson, Lynne Harris, and Luther Robinson, along with Muro, the Vampire, and the Zombie Master. Also, there were a couple of alien races and a country.

It was also interesting to see similar characters be given separate entries, i.e. Monako and Mantor. Given the similar appearances and powers, I'd guess that the Mantor story was just a relabeled Monako story, which did happen in the Golden Age. There are also similarities between Dakor and and Merzah, although mostly in appearance.

It was also interesting to see adventurer type characters like Dave Dean, Flash Foster, Barney Mullen, etc, covered. Of course, the early years of comics were filled with these types of characters, but it's nice to see they're part of the Marvel Universe and not forgotten.

It's amazing to see how blood thirsty some of the early heroes were. Frank Castle had nothing on them.

I did see a couple of mistakes, though.

Eternal Brain- His energy projection was listed at 1 even though he has telepathic powers, which are usually covered in this ranking. I think he should be a 3 if not higher.

Namor- His entry named the ship Capt. McKenzie was searching for was the Shackelton, but McKenzie's entry says it was the Endurance. Which is correct?

Taxi Taylor- An intelligence of 2 seems low for a "brilliant inventor"

Seeing all these characters makes me wish that there was a book about the more minor heroes in the Marvel Universe, similar to DC's All-Star Squadron. (other than the Twelve, if it ever gets back on track) What's Roy Thomas up to these days? :chin:

Finally, I hope that if/when the Handbooks series continues, we'll see more Golden Age characters.

Michael Hoskin
Oct 5, 2009, 01:31 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Seeing all these characters makes me wish that there was a book about the more minor heroes in the Marvel Universe, similar to DC's All-Star Squadron. (other than the Twelve, if it ever gets back on track) What's Roy Thomas up to these days? :chin:

Assuming this isn't a rhetorical question, the Rascally One has a new framing new featuring Brother Voodoo in December's Doctor Voodoo: Origin of Jericho Drumm one-shot. Otherwise, most of his recent Marvel work has been done for the Marvel Illustrated series.

The most recent Marvel Illustrated collection is Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped, which (plug) includes a bonus feature by Stevenson's distant relation whose initials are Michael Hoskin. I recommend it. (/plug)

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Finally, I hope that if/when the Handbooks series continues, we'll see more Golden Age characters.

That would be great, wouldn't it?

Sidney Osinga
Oct 6, 2009, 12:44 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I did see a couple of mistakes, though.

Namor- His entry named the ship Capt. McKenzie was searching for was the Shackelton, but McKenzie's entry says it was the Endurance. Which is correct?

I checked my copy of Saga of the Sub-Mariner #1, and it said that the shipwreck McKenzie was looking for was the Endurance, althought the name Shackleton was mentioned, meaning that the Namor entry was wrong both here and in the hardcover.

Madison Carter
Oct 6, 2009, 07:39 pm

Shackleton was the captain of the Endurance in the real world, so I imagine it was just an error.

ToddCam
Oct 7, 2009, 08:03 am

That reminds me: Aren't ship names supposed to be italicized in print? I think I only saw that once in the entire Handbook series. Is this just an oversight, or an active choice?

Sidney Osinga
Oct 10, 2009, 12:13 am

I found something that may be a mistake. In Dorma's entry, it listed her first appearance as Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1. However, the Sub-Mariner story from MPFW was only 8 pages. When it was used in Marvel Comics #1, four pages were added at the end. Dorma made her appearance on page 9 of the story, meaning she wasn't in MPFW and her first appearance in Marvel Comics #1.

Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 3, 2010, 09:57 am

List of Changes in Hardcovers (or vice versa where noted)

Angel (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 1
Was Listed As: Angel (Halloway)
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Text Changes: First 2 History paragraphs somewhat revised/expanded
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo

Black Widow (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 1
Was Listed As: Black Widow (Voyant)
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: Occupation, Known Relatives, Group Affiliation revised. 3rd History paragraph abridged to correct errors. Final History paragraph and Note revised/expanded. Note greatly expanded at end. Abiltiies/Accessories greatly expanded
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now secondary/reversed)

Blue Blaze
Hardcover Volume: 14
Text Changes: None
Graphic Changes: Main illo reversed

Betty Dean
Text/Graphic Changes: None

Dorma (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 3
Text Changes: First Appearance revised. Final 2 History paragraphs merged
Graphic Changes: None

Dynamic Man

Electro
Graphic Changes: New captioned secondary illo

Eternal Brain (Change below is from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 4
Text Changes: Note revised

Fen

Fiery Mask

Phineas T. Horton
Text Changes: History slightly revised (inc. change in 1st paragraph and 2 paragraphs merged)

Human Torch (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 5
Was Listed As: Human Torch (Hammond)
Page Count: Unchanged at 3
Text Changes: Final History sentence replaced with 2 new ones

Ka-Zar (Change below is from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 6
Was Listed As: Ka-Zar the Great
Additional Text/Graphic Changes: None

Laughing Mask

Makkari (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 7
Text Changes: End of final History paragraph revised

Masked Raider

Master Mind Excello

Leonard McKenzie

Mister E

Namor the Sub-Mariner (Changes below are from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 7
Was Listed As: Namor
Page Count: Unchanged at 6
Text Changes: Group Affiliation revised. New entence added to end of final Hiustory paragraph

Phantom Reporter

Red Raven (Change below is from the hardcover to this book)
Hardcover Volume: 9
Text Changes: Note added

Thakorr
Hardcover Volume: 12

Thin Man

Toro
Text Changes: History somewhat revised, including new long sentence being added to end of final History paragraph.

Terry Vance

Breeze Barton
Page Count: Unchanged at ½

Whirlwind Carter

Dakor the Magican
Now Listed As: Dakor

Dale
Now Listed As: Dale of the FBI
Additional Text/Graphic Changes: None significant

Deadline Dawson

Dave Dean
Graphic Changes: Secondary illo removed

Dragon-Men

Dynaman
Text Changes: End of History somewhat revised, with Note folded into it

Jimmy Everett
Graphic Changes: Main illo reversed; secondary illo cropped

Falcon

Ferret
Text Changes: New sentence added to end of History

Flexo

Flying Flame

Flash Foster

Don Gorman

The Green Flame
Hardcover Volume: not in hardcovers
Page Count: Reduced from ½ to 0

Lynne Harris

Hercules
Text Changes: Final History sentence replaced with new one

Human Top
Graphic Changes: Illo reversed

Invisible Man

Zephyr Jones

Kalahia
Hardcover Volume: not in hardcovers
Page Count: Reduced from ½ to 0

Lion-People

Magar the Mystic

Mantor

Marvel Boy (Martin Simon Burns)
Hardcover Volume: 8 (preceded this handbook)

Marvex
Text Changes: History greatly revised/expanded
Graphic Changes: Secondary illo now captioned

Ken Masters

Merzah

Monako

Barney Mullen

Muro

Phantom Bullet
Text Changes: Final History sentence replaced with new one

Phantom of the Underword

Comet Pierce

Luther Robinson

Sky Devils

Space Rangers

John Steele

Bob Strong
Now Listed As: Captain Bob Strong

Taxi Taylor

Texas Kid

Three X’s

Tigerman

Trojak

Vampire
Hardcover Volume: 13

Percy Webb

John Wilson
Graphic Changes: Illo reversed

Zar

Zara

Philo Zog

Zombie Master

Historical text from CxPulp:
Andy E. Nystrom
05-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Wikipedia has an unfortunate bit of misinformation on this Handbook cribbed from the Grand Comics Database. Dick Ayers just passed away so I was reading his Wiki article. it claims that Ayers drew a character for this Handbook. While that would have been a wonderful score, I'm pretty sure any art of his in that book was reprinted.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera