Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 11:33 am  #1

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z Update #1

Historical text from Comixfan:

shazam2271

Nov 18, 2009, 06:38 am

Yes Virginia....there is a Santa Claus and he gave me my present a little early with the wonderful and exciting news that there is more gooey Handbook goodness in the New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEE-HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z UPDATE #1
Written by JEFF CHRISTANSEN, STUART VANDAL, SEAN MCQUAID, MICHAEL HOSKIN, MIKE O'SULLIVAN, ROB LONDON, KEVIN GARCIA, MADISON CARTER, MARKUS RAYMOND, RONALD BYRD, CHRIS BIGGS, GABRIEL SHECHTER, ERIC J. MOREELS, JACOB ROUGEMONT & MIKE GAGNON
Select Character Artwork by GUS VAZQUEZ
Cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSZKY

The most comprehensive guide to the Marvel Universe marches on in 2010! This 64-page handbook features the first handbook of ALL-NEW PROFILES since 2007, and spans the width and depth of the Marvel U: New characters! Never-before profiled characters! Golden Age! Cosmic! Teams! Mutants! Westerns! Dimensions! And because you demanded it: EXCLUSIVE ORIGINAL ART for dozens of profiles! This issue contains everything you need to know about Blue Marvel (Brashear), Cyttorak, Gladiator (Kallark), Googam, K'un-Lun, Midgard Serpent, Nimrod, Percy Pinkerton, Rockman, She-Hulk (Lyra), Western era Tarantula (Riley), Veranke, Xemnu, the Young Gods and dozens more!

64 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I can't wait to see who is included!!!!!!

A huge, I mean HUGE, thank you to the entire Marvel Handbook team!!! You made my day!!! :clap:[img]file:///C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/img]:carrot:

Jon

bigvis497

Nov 18, 2009, 09:48 am

Saw this on CBR yesterday and, uhhh, wow... this is pretty big news!

sucellos11

Nov 18, 2009, 02:27 pm

I wonder if these newer entries will also be included in the hardcover series?

It would be great to see some profiles on Lilandra, the other inhuman royal family members and some secondary villains like Lightmaster, Eel, Diablo, Mesmero, Boomerang, Dreadknight, etc.

So glad Kallark if finally profiled! :chin:

gorby

Nov 18, 2009, 06:52 pm

So there is the Midgard Serpent, Judas Traveller (?), Gladiator, Blue Marvel, Nimrod, Xemnu, Veranke, Black Fox, Googam, Rockman, She-Hulk and Scalphunter. I know know for the others.

William Keogh

Nov 18, 2009, 08:23 pm

Welcome to Comixfan, Sucellos! :cheers:

sucellos11

Nov 18, 2009, 08:54 pm

Thank you very much! I'm happy to join Comixfan posting community at last, after being a visitor for so many times. I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts and doubts with fellow comic fans!

Stuart V

Nov 19, 2009, 04:57 pm

shazam2271 wrote:

Yes Virginia....there is a Santa Claus

Of course there is - he's got his own Handbook entry (which should be in the next HC iirc).

shazam2271 wrote:

EXCLUSIVE ORIGINAL ART for dozens of profiles!

And I just want to draw extra attention to this. Brand new art for several entries! We've had that a few times in recent books, and it looks like we will hopefully have it as a continuing feature.

shazam2271 wrote:

A huge, I mean HUGE, thank you to the entire Marvel Handbook team!!! You made my day!!!

Glad to hear it.

sucellos11 wrote:

I wonder if these newer entries will also be included in the hardcover series? –

No. Anything in this book, or any subsequent handbooks after this, will not be part of the hardcovers.

sucellos11 wrote:

It would be great to see some profiles on Lilandra, the other inhuman royal family members and some secondary villains like Lightmaster, Eel, Diablo, Mesmero, Boomerang, Dreadknight, etc.

At least one of those is getting a handbook entry soon...but not necessarily in this handbook.

gorby wrote:

So there is the Midgard Serpent, Judas Traveller (?), Gladiator, Blue Marvel, Nimrod, Xemnu, Veranke, Black Fox, Googam, Rockman, She-Hulk and Scalphunter. I know know for the others.

Also on the cover are Excalibur (Faisa), Krang and Coldblood.

gorby

Nov 19, 2009, 06:10 pm

Ah, shame on me I didn't recognize Krang !!!!

Eduardo M.

Nov 19, 2009, 09:31 pm

gorby wrote:

Ah, shame on me I didn't recognize Krang !!!!

Neither did I. I feel so ashamed.

sucellos11

Nov 19, 2009, 09:43 pm

Thank you for clearing it up!

Also, is it possible to disclose how many update volumes are planned to be released (at least in 2010)?

ultrabasurero

Nov 19, 2009, 11:16 pm

Is there anything else that can be revealed about the handbook schedule for 2010? Will there be only updates or also themed books? Monthly?

Stuart V

Nov 20, 2009, 06:43 am

sucellos11 wrote:

Thank you for clearing it up!

Also, is it possible to disclose how many update volumes are planned to be released (at least in 2010)?

Afraid not. We have a rough idea what next year's schedule is, but it's subject to change and even if it wasn't, we aren't allowed to let out the info ahead of solicits.

ultrabasurero wrote:

Is there anything else that can be revealed about the handbook schedule for 2010? Will there be only updates or also themed books? Monthly?

See above. All I think I can say is that Update #1 isn't the only book planned.

Madison Carter

Nov 21, 2009, 01:06 pm

Stuart V wrote:

No. Anything in this book, or any subsequent handbooks after this, will not be part of the hardcovers.

At least for now. The current HC run will have an ending, with any new 2010 books not being mixed into the remaining run. However, down the line, there's always a chance we could round up what we've done post-HC's and create more volumes for the series once there's enough material built up. But that won't be anytime soon.

sucellos11

Nov 23, 2009, 08:04 pm

It's nice to read that at least one of the characters I mentioned will get covered soon.

Better yet is the possibility of these newer entries getting a future hardcover update treatment! Nevertheless, I'll definitely buy these updates series paperback version first.

ursabearX

Nov 23, 2009, 09:58 pm

I like to see the individual franchise updates X-men update 2009-10

Rayeye

Nov 24, 2009, 04:40 pm

Thank you guys for continuing the Handbooks!

I really really hope in these new handbooks Feral, Stonewall (Hamilton) and Murmur (Arlette Truffaut) will finally got their own entries!

Eduardo M.

Nov 24, 2009, 07:14 pm

Rayeye wrote:

Thank you guys for continuing the Handbooks!

I really really hope in these new handbooks Feral, Stonewall (Hamilton) and Murmur (Arlette Truffaut) will finally got their own entries!

not to mention poor Beverly from Howard the Duck

William Keogh

Nov 24, 2009, 07:17 pm

Ah, Eduardo, in an ideal world, both Beverly and the damned Duck would be cast down into the Seventh Circle of Hell where they belong.

captainswift

Nov 24, 2009, 07:19 pm

Personally, I'd love to see an entry for former District Attorney Blake Tower. He used to be everywhere, and now...

Eduardo M.

Nov 24, 2009, 11:35 pm

William Keogh wrote:

Ah, Eduardo, in an ideal world, both Beverly and the damned Duck would be cast down into the Seventh Circle of Hell where they belong.

Say what you will about the duck but poor Bev deserves better. Especially since Garko the (censored0 Man-Frog got a handbook entry before she did. Her ex-husband got a handbook entry before she did. A crazy homeless lady got an entry before she did.

That is all kinds of not right.

Al Kennedy

Dec 4, 2009, 06:55 am

What would be perfect would be if there were, say, four updates throughout the year, and a hardcover called something like "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update 2010", in the same trade dress as the HC series, released in December. Fingers crossed!

captainswift

Dec 4, 2009, 09:18 pm

Al Kennedy wrote:

What would be perfect would be if there were, say, four updates throughout the year, and a hardcover called something like "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update 2010", in the same trade dress as the HC series, released in December. Fingers crossed!

Four updates plus assorted themed books. And yes.

Captain Speedbump

Dec 8, 2009, 11:59 pm

I cannot begin to express my gratitude now that new A-Z Handbooks have been announced.

I think I prefer new Handbooks to the updated hardcovers. Don't get me wrong, I like the hardcovers. I have the first eleven, and I plan to finish the collection in the coming months. But I really enjoy new profiles, and I think if it were up to me, I'd rather put out 6 new A-Z handbooks a year rather than 6 Hardcovers that only feature minor updates to already covered characters.

But that's just my opinion. As long as more Handbook material is produced, in whatever format, I'll be there!

Capt. Speedbump

sucellos11

Feb 16, 2010, 06:38 pm

Stuart V wrote:

At least one of those is getting a handbook entry soon...but not necessarily in this handbook.

So, you were referring to Diablo in HC vol 14. I'm one happy camper.

Roger Ott

Feb 20, 2010, 03:44 pm

This should be showing up in stores next week, yes?

Michael Regan

Feb 20, 2010, 03:52 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

This should be showing up in stores next week, yes?

February 24th, yes.

Captain Speedbump

Feb 21, 2010, 06:34 pm

Quick question, but I don't know if anyone is "allowed" to answer it at this time:

Although there are handbooks coming out the next three months (Deadpool, Iron Man, Avengers), will there be any more A-Z updates? I figured if there were 6 coming out this year, the second would be out in April, or if 4 were coming out this year, the second would be out in May, but neither of those is (are? Not sure which is correct grammar) the case.

Oh well, I suppose even if this book is just a one-shot deal, its better than nothing!

Captain Speedbump

Madison Carter

Feb 22, 2010, 05:59 am

Captain Speedbump wrote:

Quick question, but I don't know if anyone is "allowed" to answer it at this time:

Although there are handbooks coming out the next three months (Deadpool, Iron Man, Avengers), will there be any more A-Z updates? I figured if there were 6 coming out this year, the second would be out in April, or if 4 were coming out this year, the second would be out in May, but neither of those is (are? Not sure which is correct grammar) the case.

Oh well, I suppose even if this book is just a one-shot deal, its better than nothing!

Captain Speedbump

All I can really say is that it's not a one-shot.

sucellos11

Feb 22, 2010, 08:31 am

Madison Carter wrote:

All I can really say is that it's not a one-shot.

That's good to know about. Here's wishful thinking there are at least 3 more update volumes.

shazam2271

Feb 24, 2010, 12:03 pm

Since this was suppose to come out today, anyone who was able to pick it up - would they be kind enough to post the profiles it contains. My copy won't be coming until next week. Thanks,

Jon

sucellos11

Feb 24, 2010, 01:18 pm

Agreed. If anyone has a list of entries with page count and is willing to post it, it'd be much appreciated!

JusticeGH

Feb 24, 2010, 01:56 pm

I'm on my phone, so I don't have time to do a list of characters and pages (sorry!) but the best news to me is on the cover: "Marvel Limited Series 1 of 5".

ToddCam

Feb 24, 2010, 02:18 pm

OHOTMU 2010 Listings (http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/...ad.php?t=47503)

bigvis497

Feb 24, 2010, 02:37 pm

This...this, is AWESOME. Such a wide variety of entries, this is seriously like my dream list come true. MASSIVE K'un-l'un, FINALLY Parnival Plunder, Empath, Jude, Candra, REIGNFIRE! Handbook overload....

sucellos11

Feb 24, 2010, 03:01 pm

Some of my top wanted made it this time too: Aquarian, Battlestar, Comet Man, Empath, Jude, Plunderer, Runner, Saracen, Wingfoot, Wyatt. This is great! Thank you for posting it!

Michael Regan

Feb 24, 2010, 03:03 pm

"Pinky" Pinkerton? No way!

Rayeye

Feb 24, 2010, 03:50 pm

I am totally surprised by this nice list! I'm glad to see Candra, Longstrike, Reignfire and even 2099's Zhao are in it!

And with Manbot in it, I hope an entry for Murmur will follow soon too!

sucellos11

Feb 24, 2010, 05:27 pm

JusticeGH wrote:

I'm on my phone, so I don't have time to do a list of characters and pages (sorry!) but the best news to me is on the cover: "Marvel Limited Series 1 of 5".

That's the best part, knowing this is the first volume of a 5 issue series!

gorby

Feb 25, 2010, 05:15 am

Plunderer ! Gog ! Battlestar ! Empath ! Sprite ! Candra !

You're the bests !

ultrabasurero

Feb 25, 2010, 12:44 pm

I'd like to see that all the OHOTMU people did a great job on this update and I'm glad that there are 4 more updates coming.

I assume MVP is going to be profiled in the Avengers Assemble handbook because it wouldn't make much sense not to have one since a KIA profile was written. Hopefully the Scarlet Spiders will be profiled as well.

Sidney Osinga

Feb 27, 2010, 06:39 pm

I really enjoy this book. I feel that it has a nice mix of entries, from the ones currently involved in stories (Gladiator, She-Hulk/Lyra, the Watchdogs) to ones that have made appearances in the past couple of years. (Aquarian, Coldblood, Comet Man, Krang, Nimrod) to the obscure (Anomaly, Candra, Edifice Rex, Gog, Manbot, the Resurrection Stone(!), Saracen, Zhao). Plus supporting characters (Marlene Alraune, Wyatt Wingfoot), mythological (Atlas, Midgard Serpent), cosmic (Luminals, Xemnu), western (Tarantula) and monsters (Googam, Son of Goom). The only major problem I have with it is that there was no event entries. Hopefully further updates will include some.

I also found something I believe to be an error. The first paragraph in Krang's entry said that he helped rescued Princess Fen. Wouldn't that technically make his first appearance Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1/Marvel Comics #1, even if he wasn't named?

Michael Regan

Feb 27, 2010, 06:46 pm

Good catch, Sydney, but only if specifically pictured and can be identified, otherwise it is likely a retcon. The big question is was this depicted in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly/Marvel Comics #1 or elsewhere?

rplss

Feb 27, 2010, 09:34 pm

Rayeye wrote:

I am totally surprised by this nice list! I'm glad to see Candra, Longstrike, Reignfire and even 2099's Zhao are in it!

And with Manbot in it, I hope an entry for Murmur will follow soon too!

Yeah, Manbot! Murmur would be great too but the real "missing Alphan" from the handbooks is Marrina, who was an original Alpha Flight member but never got a listing in the HC series nor any recent handbook (but she was pictured in the Plodex entry). So hopefully Marrina is soon to follow!

slevin87

Feb 27, 2010, 09:35 pm

rplss wrote:

Yeah, Manbot! Murmur would be great too but the real "missing Alphan" from the handbooks is Marrina, who was an original Alpha Flight member but never got a listing in the HC series nor any recent handbook (but she was pictured in the Plodex entry). So hopefully Marrina is soon to follow!

She's going to be in the Avengers Assemble! handbook in May. She's even on the cover.

Sidney Osinga

Feb 28, 2010, 10:00 am

Michael Regan wrote:

Good catch, Sydney, but only if specifically pictured and can be identified, otherwise it is likely a retcon. The big question is was this depicted in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly/Marvel Comics #1 or elsewhere?

After checking a reprint of the story, I see that the rescue wasn't in the original story. It was a retcon, although it may still have come before FF Anual #1.

Captain Speedbump

Mar 2, 2010, 03:22 pm

I just got mine in the mail, and I'm glad the series is continuing! And it was a pleasure to read "1 of 5" on the cover, knowing four more of these are coming for 2010! And that's not even counting the Deadpool, Iron Man and Avengers books!

Keep up the great work to all involved!

Capt. Speedbump

Phoenixx9

Mar 30, 2010, 02:10 pm

Do we know what months Updates #3, #4 and #5 are scheduled to be released? I heard it might be June, Sept and Dec 2010. I knew it's usually a secret, but I want to make sure I don't miss them at my LCBS as they only order a few issues and they are usually gone by the time the doors open!

captainswift

Mar 30, 2010, 03:20 pm

As soon as the solicits are up, there'll be a thread here letting you know.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera