Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 12:34 pm  #1

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z Update #4

Historical text from Comixfan:

ultrabasurero

Jul 27, 2010, 11:04 pm

Coming from Marvel in October...

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z UPDATE #4
Written by VARIOUS
Cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSZKY

Our mission to catalog the entire Marvel Multiverse (and beyond!) continues! Includes 64 pages of all-new profiles of many of Marvel’s finest characters, covering every corner of the MU! The World War II-era Red Guardian! Longtime supporting-cast members Wong and Sister Maggie! Alien races Sidri, Nuwali and Golgotha! The Negative Zone’s Prison 42! Mutant-menacing Mister M, Sentinel Squad O*N*E and Tryp! The all-powerful Star Brand! Marvel UK’s Black Axe! And, from the pages of the THANOS IMPERATIVE: Guardians of the Galaxy! Featuring brand-new art for dozens of characters, drawn by Gus Vazquez!

64 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

ultrabasurero

Jul 27, 2010, 11:06 pm

On the cover: Miek, Gardener, Dreaming Celestial, Whirlwind?, Lightspeed, Warstar, Sebastian Shaw, Doctor Nemesis (Bradley), Raza, U-Man?, Martinex, Bushmaster, Quasimodo. I can't tell what that animal thing is in front of Bushmaster and the guy in the right corner.

Sidney Osinga

Jul 27, 2010, 11:16 pm

I can't tell what that animal thing is in front of Bushmaster and the guy in the right corner.

I think they're Catseye of the Hellions and Death Stalker.

Eduardo M.

Jul 28, 2010, 01:14 am

excuse me whilst I do a major huge happy dance followed by plenty of squeals of delight.

captainswift

Jul 28, 2010, 01:15 am

I'm disappointed there's no Hulk on the cover. Every issue of Update up to this point had a Hulk on the cover.

On the other hand, there's a Julie Power, which is actually cooler.

Rob London

Jul 28, 2010, 01:45 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I think they're Catseye of the Hellions and Death Stalker.

Yes, that is Death Stalker.

No, that's not Catseye. Think canine, not feline.

Eduardo M.

Jul 28, 2010, 02:06 am

Rob London wrote:

that wolf guy Rahne Sinclair loved? (WTF was his name again?)

Sidney Osinga

Jul 28, 2010, 02:19 am

Rob London wrote:

I should have noticed that the fur was the wrong color. It's the Wolf Prince Hrimhari.

Roger Ott

Jul 28, 2010, 03:18 am

Oooo...this one looks to satisfy from many wishlists.

Phoenixx9

Jul 28, 2010, 11:56 am

Just the cover takes another 6 off my wish list!

I wonder who else is inside?

Stuart Vandal said our lists would be noticeably shorter by year's end!

sucellos11

Jul 28, 2010, 02:44 pm

OMG! This is the best update yet! So many characters I wished for are covered in this, but specially:

U-Man!
WHIRLWIND!
Miek!
WONG!
Dreaming Celestial!
Raza!
Warstar!
SEBASTIAN SHAW!
Death Stalker!
Doctor Nemesis (Bradley)!
Bushmaster!
GARDENER!
Martinex!
Red Guardian (WWII)!
QUASIMODO!

Can't wait. :]

bigvis497

Jul 28, 2010, 03:21 pm

It's been a long, long time since we've seen Whirlwind around these here parts. Count me excited.

Captain Morgan

Jul 29, 2010, 03:36 pm

I've been waiting for a Sebastian Shaw entry for years.

Phoenixx9

Jul 29, 2010, 04:15 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

It's been a long, long time since we've seen Whirlwind around these here parts. Count me excited.

Me too! :excited:

I like the spiky face mask and upper body armor. And watch out for those arm-spikes!

Captain Morgan wrote:

I've been waiting for a Sebastian Shaw entry for years.

Me too! :excited:

I mean, this book covers so many of my groups too: some from Imperial Guard, the Starjammers, Guardians of Galaxy, almost never seen-today-but-not-forgotten-by-me (Quasimodo), WWII (U-Man and Red Guardian) and supporting cast (Wong). I can't wait to see who else is in it!

Rayeye

Jul 29, 2010, 06:04 pm

A lot of nice characters are in this handbook!
Also, finally one of the Power Pack members received a profile! Not that I'm a fan of Power Pack, but I always thought it was odd they were never covered individually.
With more individual members of the Imperial Guard being covered along the way, I hope the same will be done by members of Clan Destine, X-Men 2099 and some of the Morlocks.

Eduardo M.

Jul 29, 2010, 06:59 pm

Rayeye wrote:

Also, finally one of the Power Pack members received a profile! Not that I'm a fan of Power Pack, but I always thought it was odd they were never covered individually.

Actually the members of Power Pack got individual entries way back in the Deluxe Edition inthe 80s. The Master Edition in the 90s also had at least two of the Pack get their own entries.

And let's not forget Franklin Richards is considered part of Power Pack and he's gotten an entry in recent years.

That having been said its still nice to see the kids getting updated entries. (For one thing they're getting to be not kids anymore.)

DeadpoolRP

Jul 29, 2010, 07:52 pm

Rayeye wrote:

With more individual members of the Imperial Guard being covered along the way, I hope the same will be done by members of Clan Destine, X-Men 2099 and some of the Morlocks.

I second what Rayeye said: More Power Pack, ClanDestine, and especially X-Men 2099!

I'm most looking forward to the Dr. Nemesis profile in this issue, and I hope we'll see corresponding entries/updates for Box, Kavita Rao, Yuriko Takiguchi, and Danger (as well as Cypher, Diamond Lil, Gentle, Ink, Graymalkin, Cipher, Loa, Match, Bling!, Onyxx, Trance, Indra, and Crosta, eventually. Joseph too, of course—see, lots of X-Men still to cover!).

PaxHouse

Jul 29, 2010, 08:11 pm

Rayeye wrote:

Good point, for I did recall that they did received an Entry within the TEAM HANDBOOK but never any solo ones for the members (except Franklin Richards/Tattletale and Deliquient/"Marty" the Elan/Infant Terrible) within the most recent OHOTMU......

....On the other hand, there's a Julie Power, which is actually cooler.....

.....And she's wearing the costume seen from both RUNAWAYS & THE LONERS.....

Hope the rest of her siblings get their updated entries soon (especially Alex Power/Zero-G, due to his recent appearances within the FANTASTIC FOUR Series).....

Sidney Osinga

Jul 29, 2010, 10:53 pm

I personally am happy to see an entry for the Star Brand. Now we need ones for Kickers Inc. and the Troubleshooters and all the major characters in the New Universe will be covered.

Phoenixx9

Jul 30, 2010, 01:47 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I personally am happy to see an entry for the Star Brand. Now we need ones for Kickers Inc. and the Troubleshooters and all the major characters in the New Universe will be covered.

Yeah, good point, Sidney Osinga.

I really don't know anything about the Star Brand for sure. Was that the dead Beyonder's energies that created a New Universe, or something like that? If it is, that was a long time ago. Was there any characters that were empowered by this Star Brand? If so, I hope they get featured as well. It would be great to learn about "new" characters that have been around for 25 years (real time, probably 6 years Marvel Time) that I am not aware of! Also, interesting to see how they compare to the "mainstream" superpowers.

Madison Carter

Jul 30, 2010, 03:41 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Yeah, good point, Sidney Osinga.

I really don't know anything about the Star Brand for sure. Was that the dead

The Star Brand and New Universe had nothing to do with the Beyonder.

Eduardo M.

Jul 30, 2010, 04:21 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

I think Phoenixx9 was confused by the last page of Secret wars II and thought that the universe created by the Beyonder's energies was the New Universe.

Phoenixx9

Jul 30, 2010, 05:22 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

Hello, Madison Carter! See, I told you I didn't know anything about the Star Brand! :No:

Eduardo M. wrote:

I think Phoenixx9 was confused by the last page of Secret wars II and thought that the universe created by the Beyonder's energies was the New Universe.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought and it was the only thing (I thought) I knew about it.

I need more info on this Star Brand and New Universe!

Madison Carter

Jul 30, 2010, 06:09 pm

To be fair, it *IS* a common misconception, and one that a lot of people thought at the time, but has been shown not to be correct in time.

Eduardo M.

Jul 30, 2010, 07:00 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

To be fair, it *IS* a common misconception, and one that a lot of people thought at the time, but has been shown not to be correct in time.

For thing, wasn't the universe the Beyonder created later destroyed?

Madison Carter

Jul 30, 2010, 07:43 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

For thing, wasn't the universe the Beyonder created later destroyed?

More or less, yes. It was shown in FF#...319? or when the FF and Doom entered the Beyonderverse. When the Beyonder and Molecule Man merged into one being at the time, it is assumed the universe the Beyonder created within himself went with it.

Roger Ott

Jul 31, 2010, 11:59 am

Phoenixx9 wrote:

I need more info on this Star Brand and New Universe!

OHOTMU Hardcover vol. 8 has an entry on the New Universe, which should get you started. I'd consider seeking out back issues of the various series that made up the New Universe. They shouldn't bee too expensive.

Star Brand (19 issues, 1 Annual)
DP 7 (32 issues, 1 Annual)
Spitfire & the Troubleshooters (later changed to Codename: Spitfire) (13 issues)
Kicker's Inc (12 issues)
Mark Hazzard: Merc (12 issues, 1 Annual)
Justice (32 issues)
Psi-Force (32 issues, 1 Annual)
Nightmask (12 issues)
The Pitt (1 issue)
The Draft (1 issue)
The War (4 issues)

The concepts of the Star Brand and the New Universe made some appearances in the Quasar series by Mark Gruenwald, and there was a limited series called Starblast that crossed over with Quasar. I don't have exact issue numbers handy right now, though.

A few years back, there were one-shots of each of the main New Universe books titled Untold Tales of the New Universe.

Then there was a new take on the concept with New Universal right around the same time.

I'm pulling all that off the top of my head, so if there's any other books I may have missed, someone chime in!

ToddCam

Jul 31, 2010, 05:29 pm

There was an arc in Exiles where the team was chasing Proteus through several familiar timelines, one of which was a New Universe analogue. It featured the Star Brand (and its wielder, Ken Connell) and the DP7 group. It is so far my only exposure to that universe outside the Handbooks. It seemed like it could be interesting.

Roger Ott

Aug 1, 2010, 09:49 am

Oh yeah, forgot about the Exiles arc! Thanks.

Michael Regan

Aug 1, 2010, 09:57 am

Roger Ott wrote:

Oh yeah, forgot about the Exiles arc! Thanks.

That was designated as an alternate reality, but a valid addition.

There was also a Justice, or John Tensen specifically, appearance in Spider-Man 2099.

ToddCam

Aug 1, 2010, 11:19 am

Michael Regan wrote:

There was also a Justice, or John Tensen specifically, appearance in Spider-Man 2099.

I am aware. That's why I referred to it as an analogue. Though I forgot that Justice was also in it. And he ended up traveling to a 2099 divergence as well!

Does anybody know why so many of the New Universe characters have such similar last names? Remsen, Swensen, Sorensen, Tensen? Is it like Gene Roddenberry constantly looking for Noonien Soong/Khan Noonien Singh?

Madison Carter

Aug 2, 2010, 07:39 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

There was a Spitfire alternate that was brought into a separate Exiles story, as well.

Eduardo M.

Oct 18, 2010, 09:03 pm

2 days. 2 days.

bigvis497

Oct 20, 2010, 02:05 pm

Wow, this is some list.

Beetle (Davis) 1 pg
Biohazard (Troynor) 1/2 pg
Black Axe 1 pg
Bushmaster (McIver) 1 pg
Captain Terror 1 pg
Lucy Crumm 1/2 pg
Dakkamites 2 pg
Dark Mother 1 pg
Death-Stalker 3 pg
Doctor Nemesis (Bradley) 1 pg
Dragon Lord (Shamara) 1/2 pg
Dreaming Celestial 2 pg
Fantastic Force (Nu-World) on the back cover but not included, that's been happening a bit lately...
Gaia (Generation X) 1 pg
Gardener (Zyonz) 2 pg
Golgotha 1/2 pg
Guardians of the Galaxy (Knowhere-based) 3 pg
Hrimhari 1 pg
Intelligentsia (Skrull group-mind) 1/2 pg
Jade Claw 1 pg
Junta 2 pg (!!!)
Kelly Kooliq 1/2 pg
Ladyhawks 1 pg
Machete (Lopezes) 1 pg
Martinex 3 pg
Marvanites 2 pg
Miek 1 pg
Mister M 1 pg
Nighthawk (Neal Richmond Earth-712) 1 pg
Nuwali 1 pg (!!!!)
Philadelphia Filly 1/2 pg
Julie Power 2 pg
Prison 42 1 pg
Quasimodo (computer) 2 pg
Quon race (moster from the Lost Lagoon) 1 pg
Raza Longknife 1 pg
Red Guardian (World War II) 1/2 pg
Red 9 1/2 pg
Red Raven (Dania) 1/2 pg
Robert Rider 1 pg
Saint Elmo 1/2 pg
Sentinel Squad ONE 2 pg
Sebastian Shaw 2 pg
Sidri 1/2 pg
Sister Maggie 1 pg (totally unexpected, now give us Battlin' Jack!)
Spike (X-Statix) 1/2 pg
Star Brand 2 pg
Stigmata 1/2 pg
Damian Tryp 1 pg
U-Man 1 pg
Warstar 1 pg
Whirlwind (Cannon) 3 pg
Wong 2 pg
Zodiac (Gang with no name) 1 pg

thoughts to follow....

Phoenixx9

Oct 20, 2010, 04:29 pm

Thanks for posting the list, BigVis497!

From the listing, like another dozen or so off my list!

While I don't have this issue yet, I am working on it, and if any friends get hold of one, I certainly will be peeking at it!

Eduardo M.

Oct 20, 2010, 04:58 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Thanks for posting the list, BigVis497!

From the listing, like another dozen or so off my list!

While I don't have this issue yet, I am working on it, and if any friends get hold of one, I certainly will be peeking at it!

I got my hands on the last copy in the store. I've only had time to glance through it but I likes what I see.

Not to mention my list is by a nice-sized margin.

Only 1 more issue to go.

ultrabasurero

Oct 20, 2010, 04:59 pm

That's a great list full of characters I don't know much about. No sign of Joseph yet. He can still show up in #5. Nice to see another Squadron Supreme member. I agree we need Battlin' Jack now.

Rayeye

Oct 20, 2010, 06:43 pm

Nice list! I am glad to see Dark Mother, Gaia and even Saint Elmo are included!

Phoenixx9

Oct 21, 2010, 01:38 pm

There are a few entries listed whom I never heard of, like Biohazard Black Axe, Dark Mother and Lucy Crumm, so I am quite looking forward to this issue!

Sidney Osinga

Oct 22, 2010, 01:49 am

Another well done issue. I'm glad to see the large number of characters who had entries in the earlier series. I'd like to see all the entries from the original, Deluxe edition, and Update '89 have new entries. It's also nice to see more alien race entries, although it seems strange that fairly minor races like the Dakkamites and Marvanites get two pages. I wonder if the increased number of alien races came from a canceled handbook focused on them? Since I am a big New Universe fan, I was happy to see the Star Brand entry. I hope that we see entries for more members of Power Pack, and the original Nighthawk of the Squadron Supreme. Anyways, now back to the long wait until the next Handbook comes out.

Roger Ott

Nov 2, 2010, 06:23 pm

My mail order shipment finally arrived yesterday!

Another great issue, with lots of cool entries! Just got done reading the entries on the Star Brand and Prison 42 and looking forward to reading the rest over the next couple days.

More incredible artwork by Gus Vazquez, too!

Feeling kinda sad that there's only one more update issue this year, but looking forward to whatever surprises are coming for 2011.

Eduardo M.

Nov 2, 2010, 10:44 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

Feeling kinda sad that there's only one more update issue this year, but looking forward to whatever surprises are coming for 2011.

Amen CyRog. If it wasn't for the fact January is bringing Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe, I'd soon be suffering from Handbooky-goodness withdrawal. As is, Update #5 can't come soon enough.

Rayeye

Nov 6, 2010, 05:59 pm

Just got my copy today. Again a very nice issue with great art!

I had one question about the Sentinel Squad O*N*E membership: I remember some guys called Aaron Jennings, Truman and Williamson being members as well. So were they forgotten, or were they just O*N*E members but not members of the Sentinel Squad?

Michael Regan

Nov 6, 2010, 06:46 pm

I believe the Sentinel Squad would only be the pilots not all of O*N*E. Having said this, I remember codenames: Crazy Train, Megatron, Ogre, Shrapnel, and Megaton. This was the original group which was replaced with new robots which appeared more Japanese inspired, which I think were all killed.

As for names, let me think... I remember John Steel, Bridges, Briggs, Lex (Crazy Train I think), Stilts... damn, who else is there?

Rayeye

Nov 6, 2010, 06:51 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

I believe the Sentinel Squad would only be the pilots not all of O*N*E. Having said this, I remember codenames: Crazy Train, Megatron, Ogre, Shrapnel, and Megaton. This was the original group which was replaced with new robots which appeared more Japanese inspired, which I think were all killed.

As for names, let me think... I remember John Steel, Bridges, Briggs, Lex (Crazy Train I think), Stilts... damn, who else is there?

Check this handbook ;): Nathaniel “Bulletproof” Briggs, Rajani “Joni” Dhama, Alexander “Lex” Lexington, Meld, Randall “Stilts” Nixon, James Rhodes, Tracy “Sky” Skylark, Jake “Slayer” Slayton, John Steele and Emil Winston.

Crazy Train, Megaton, Shrapnel, War Machine and Ogre were the Sentinel models.

Other seen or mentioned O*N*E (but not Sentinel Squad) members are Bishop, Brodie, Callister, Donnie, Eugene, Sgt. Foley, Major Harper, Agent Herrera, Aaron Jennings, Martin, Agent Rosetti, Dr. Senyaka, Simpson, Truman, Williamson, Wilson and of course General Lazer and Valerie Cooper.
I don't know if Colonel Miguel Reyes could be considered a member too.

Michael Regan

Nov 6, 2010, 06:56 pm

Hey, I don't have the issue yet and was going by memory. Not too shabby I think.

I think that is the distinction overall to confirm: O*N*E complete or the Sentinel Squad on its own.

William Keogh

Nov 9, 2010, 07:36 pm

Once again, very pleased with this one. I was very happy to see a full page for the Beetle (I still miss her) and great to see profiles for the Guardians, Tryp, Ladyhawks, Nighthawk, Sister Maggie, Sebastian Shaw, Red Guardian, Sentinel Squad, Raza, Miek, the Dreaming Celestial... :clap:

DeadpoolRP

Dec 27, 2010, 02:01 pm

Just curious, but why was only "X-Men ('X-Club' science team)" listed for Doctor Nemesis's group affiliation, instead of both X-Men and X-Club, per vol. 13 of the hardcovers?

I've put a lot of effort into convincing people on Wikipedia (and getting them to stop reverting my edits) that Doctor Nemesis and Box are members of both the X-Men and the X-Club, yet this entry seems to be saying he's only on the X-Club.

(Of course, no one has any problem with Beast, Angel, and Psylocke being on both teams . . .)

Madison Carter

Dec 27, 2010, 04:28 pm

DeadpoolRP wrote:

Just curious, but why was only "X-Men ('X-Club' science team)" listed for Doctor Nemesis's group affiliation, instead of both X-Men and X-Club, per vol. 13 of the hardcovers?

I've put a lot of effort into convincing people on Wikipedia (and getting them to stop reverting my edits) that Doctor Nemesis and Box are members of both the X-Men and the X-Club, yet this entry seems to be saying he's only on the X-Club.

(Of course, no one has any problem with Beast, Angel, and Psylocke being on both teams . . .)

He's officially a member of both. The listing probably should have had some better structure to make that more clear.

DeadpoolRP

Dec 27, 2010, 04:58 pm

Madison Carter wrote:

He's officially a member of both. The listing probably should have had some better structure to make that more clear.

That's what I figured, but I thought it was worth verifying. Thanks for the confirmation.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera