Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2021 3:28 pm  #1

The Completely Unofficial No-Prize Thread

The purpose of this thread is to have a bit of fun with mistakes by explaining why they weren't actually mistakes, as per traditional No-Prize rule.

Here are the rules:
You can find errors from any era, including ones that actually earned No-Prizes.
You can't scan the letter pages or Handbooks for previous explanations and knowingly claim them as your own.  It is possible, however to accidentally come up with the same explanation that was used in a letters page, as long as you come by it independently.
You can try to improve upon (or go in a different direction) an explanation that's already presented in either official materials or here.
If you have no answer, you can just post the error and challenge everyone else for an explanation.

I'll start with one of the most infamous examples:
Tales of Suspense #92. Cap says, "Only one of us is gonna walk out of here under his own steam -- and it won't be me!"
I think for this one the simplest explanation works best: He got a bit tired during the fight and made a slip of the tongue. His opponent was a robot and likely lacked the sense of humour to mock him.

Marvel Superhero Contest of Champions #3: The contest ended in a tie but gave the win to the Grandmaster.
The Handbooks give a good explanation (ties favour the Grandmaster) but I'll go with: The Grandmaster and his mysterious opponent conducted a fifth round on the Squadron Earth (the Grandmaster having a certain affection for them having used them in his schemes previously) and this unseen fifth round broke the tie.

Fantastic Four #17: Invisible Girl claims to Doctor Doom that Reed is one of world's foremost judo experts, something that wasn't seen since.
Me: This was pretty early on in Sue's career and Doom is pretty tough. Put simply, she was bluffing.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

2/04/2021 11:03 am  #2

Re: The Completely Unofficial No-Prize Thread

X-Men #6: Bobby seemingly uses his ice powers to create ice cream, after which Jean levitates the pie away from him.
My answer: Bobby isn't always shown to be the brightest superhero and didn't think it through. When Jean levitated the pie, she didn't mention the ice cream (instead mentioning he wasn't using a fork); what might have been the case was she noticed that Bobby was about to bite into what was essentially snow or ice covered pie and by calling attention to the fork, she was saving him from a greater embarrassment.

2/04/2021 1:09 pm  #3

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

I'll start with one of the most infamous examples:
Tales of Suspense #92. Cap says, "Only one of us is gonna walk out of here under his own steam -- and it won't be me!"
I think for this one the simplest explanation works best: He got a bit tired during the fight and made a slip of the tongue. His opponent was a robot and likely lacked the sense of humour to mock him.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."  George W. Bush

2/04/2021 2:05 pm  #4

Another one: In Amazing Spider-Man #3, Doctor Octopus seemingly calls Spider-Man "Super-Man".

Answer: Notice the hyphen. Doctor Octopus isn't literally calling Spidey "Superman". This is his first time fighting a superhuman foe, and he's being descriptive and sarcastic (so "super-man" in lowercase), not referring to a strange visitor from another planet in another multiverse. So he's taunting Spidey when he says, "And now, super-man, I grow bored with this game. My time is too valuable!"

Board footera