Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2021 1:18 am  #451

Re: General Comics Trivia

All those are correct.

Expanding on all of the above so far in numerical order:
2. The DC Mockingbird led the Secret Six; the Marvel version works for SHIELD.
3. The Mar-Vell version of Captain Marvel was a Kree invader who went native; The Fawcett/DC Captain Marvel rode a subway train to meet Shazam.
5. The DC version of the Grim Ghost was changed from the Gay Ghost (1940s hero) in Who's Who (1980s) due to the meaning of the word gay changing (for one thing, he's heterosexual); the Atlas (Seaboard) version was published in the 1970s.
7. The Quality/DC Jester wears a colourful costume including bells; the Marvel version was mocked for his acting, though in recent times has gained some respect as an actor.
8. The Johnny Blaze version of Ghost Rider has worked for carnivals; before Marvel did their own western Ghost Rider, Magazine had their almost identically garbed version.
12. Marvel's Sandman's real name is William Baker (he was in the earlier quiz but the other version wasn't); the original DC version used a gas gun.
15. The Lev Gleason version of Daredevil was a prominent 1940s hero, now in the public domain, who used a boomerang; the Marvel version of course is blind.
17. The Fawcett version of Captain Thunder was in ashcans for Flash Comics #1 (not to be confused with the published All-American version) and Thrill Comics #1 before becoming Captain Marvel in Whiz Comics #2; in one story Superman met the DC version.
21. The Harvey version of Black Cat had her own series and was a stuntwoman turned actress; the Marvel version tends to do burglaries regardless of whether she's a villain or anti-hero at the time.
22. The Harvey version of Jigsaw's title lasted two issues; the Punisher did a number on the Marvel version's face.
24. The Quality (and DC) Firebrand wears a red see-through shirt; the Marvel version tried to organize a team to hunt down Scourge.
26. The 1940s MLJ (Archie) hero Hangman became a villain who fought the Mighty Crusaders in the 1960s; in the 1980s he returned to good; the first Marvel version was stabbed to death from behind.
27. The Quality/DC version of Miss America died on an early Freedom Fighters mission that took her from Earth-2 to Earth-X, but she was brought back when the Earth-2 Wonder Woman was erased from history; particularly in stories published in the 1940s, the Marvel version wore glasses into battle.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

2/22/2021 3:47 am  #452

Calling a day on the following:
1. One is a mercenary who had a short lived series, the other is a major foe of a hero and later adopted the identity of another foe of that hero.
4. One is the short lived alias of a hero before they took on a better known identity, the other is a super-villain who married another super-villain.
6. One battled a hero while the hero’s teammates were away, the other was a 1940s villain who worked for another 1940s villain in 1980s comics.
9. One is part of a hidden race, the other is a metallic hero.
10. One is one name for the ruler of a world, the other has battled a white garbed hero.
11. One is part of a hero team with an acronym, the other is a hero with a demonic father.
13. One is a hero whose power is a bit of a liability, the other has powers similar to their father’s.
14. One is a hero who died and got better, the other is a hero who later moved to another planet and joined a team there.
16. One is the tiny member of a hero team, the other was a sidekick until his partner was killed.
18. One is possessed by something they wear, the other was a 1940s hero’s arch nemesis.
19. One is an anti-hero who ate criminals, the other is the superhero identity of a real life comedian.
20. One is a private investigator, the other's surname (alter ego) is a type of weapon.
23. One is a villain who has been brought back from the dead, the other had a monkey for a sidekick.
25. One was raised by birds, the other was a gender swapped hero.
28. One was killed by an anti-hero on their first outing, the other is a villain active in the far future.
29. One was a western hero, the other was part of a team of killers.
30. One was a hero who had a sidekick, the other was a villain who was murdered by another villain.

2/22/2021 5:21 pm  #453

20. Cannon? Wally Wood's character and DC

2/22/2021 6:09 pm  #454

Sidney Osinga wrote:

20. Cannon? Wally Wood's character and DC

20. Incorrect because it's the alter ego and not the code name that's the weapon in the question, but you're actually in the ballpark anyway.

2/23/2021 7:31 am  #455

Remaining answers:

1. One is a mercenary who had a short lived series, the other is a major foe of a hero and later adopted the identity of another foe of that hero.
Scorpion. The Atlas (Seaboard) version was a mercenary (later reworked into Dominic Fortune) who had his own short lived series; the Marvel version is a major foe of Spider-Man who later became Venom.

4. One is the short lived alias of a hero before they took on a better known identity, the other is a super-villain who married another super-villain.
Huntress. The Marvel version after one adventure as such became the better known Mockingbird (so she appeared twice in this quiz); one of the DC versions is a villain who married Sportsmaster.

6. One battled a hero while the hero’s teammates were away, the other was a 1940s villain who worked for another 1940s villain in 1980s comics.
Monocle. The Marvel version battled the Human Torch (and Spider-Man) while the other Fantastic Four members were in space. The DC version worked for the Ultra-Humanite in 1980s stories involving the Secret Society of Super-Villains.

9. One is part of a hidden race, the other is a metallic hero.
Mercury. The Marvel version was revealed to be Makkari of the Eternals. The DC version is one of the Metal Men.

10. One is one name for the ruler of a world, the other has battled a white garbed hero.
Morpheus. The DC version, aka Sandman rules the Dreaming. The Marvel version battled Moon Knight.

11. One is part of a hero team with an acronym, the other is a hero with a demonic father.
Raven. The Tower, etc version is one of the THUNDER Agents. The DC version's father is Trigon.

13. One is a hero whose power is a bit of a liability, the other has powers similar to their father’s
Lightning. The Tower, etc. version ages when he uses his superspeed. One of the DC versions has powers similar to her father Black Lightning.
14. One is a hero who died and got better, the other is a hero who later moved to another planet and joined a team there.
Comet. The Archie version was one of the first comic book superheroes to be killed off, but was later revived. The Marvel version became one of the Champions of Xandar.

16. One is the tiny member of a hero team, the other was a sidekick until his partner was killed.
Dyna-Mite. The Marvel version was a tiny member of the Crusaders. The DC version was a sidekick until TNT was killed.

18. One is possessed by something they wear, the other was a 1940s hero’s arch nemesis.
The Mask. The Dark Horse version (pick any) is possessed by his mask. The Fawcett version was the arch foe of Spy Smasher.

19. One is an anti-hero who ate criminals, the other is the superhero identity of a real life comedian.
Tarantula. The Atlas (Seaboard) version ate criminals. One of the DC versions was Jerry Lewis.

20. One is a private investigator, the other's surname (alter ego) is a type of weapon.
Thunderbolt. One of the DC versions is PI Jonni Thunder. The version that was originally Charlton is really Peter Cannon (which is why I said Sidney's answer was close).

23. One is a villain who has been brought back from the dead, the other had a monkey for a sidekick.
Midnight. One of the Marvel versions was brought back from the dead. The Quality/DC version had the monkey Gabby for a sidekick.

25. One was raised by birds, the other was a gender swapped hero.
Black Condor. The version originally from Quality was raised by condors. In one DC/Superman story, Mister Mxyzptlk gender swapped (or probably more accurately sex changed, though they also didn't recall their original gender) a few heroes, resulting in Black Canary becoming Black Condor.

28. One was killed by an anti-hero on their first outing, the other is a villain active in the far future.
Persuader. The Marvel version was killed by the Punisher in his first story. The second is a 30th Century member of the Fatal Five.

29. One was a western hero, the other was part of a team of killers.
Scalphunter. The DC version is a western hero, the Marvel version is one of the Marauders.

30. One was a hero who had a sidekick, the other was a villain who was murdered by another villain.
Cat-Man. The Holyoke version had Kitten as a sidekick. The second Marvel version was killed by Death-Stalker (the earlier Marvel version was also killed by Spymaster, but that death was according to Handbooks accidental and would likely be seen as manslaughter instead of murder).

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (2/23/2021 7:32 am)

2/23/2021 8:40 am  #456

This quiz is a bit different and a bit beyond trivia, though I’ve added a trivia component. It's a variation of the Hangman game. For the questions below, everyone is a Batman (solo or with Superman) villain’s real name. The goal is to determine both the real name and from there the code name. You can either guess who they are outright or pick a letter, wait for me to respond, and then make a guess. You can either pick the same letter for every question or mix them up; either way if you pick a letter, all instances of that letter for a particular question will appear in their proper location. Please pick only one letter at a time. You can make multiple guesses a day, but once someone picks a letter for a question, please wait for me to respond before picking another letter or answering the question.

You get points for each correct answer as follows: Each answer starts out at 27 points. A point is subtracted for each letter chosen, whether in the answer or not. Once all letters in a name are revealed, the answer is worth only one point (because at that point you're only guessing the code name). If you correctly guess a real name but can't guess the code name, you get the remaining points minus one, but can later try again for the last point.

If a character has more than one real name, I can choose any version for the below. Since multiple characters can have ther same number of letters in their names, it’s possible to get an answer wrong even though they fit the pattern, especially if you try to guess before a letter is on the board.

Let me know if you want to see more of these. If so I might start a separate thread for these later.

All so far 27 points:
1. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _
2. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
3. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
4. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _
6. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
7. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _
8. _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _
9. _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _
10. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
11. _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _
12. _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
13. _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _
14. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _
15. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
16. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
17. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
18. _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _
19. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
20. _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
21. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
22. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
23. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _
24. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _  
25. _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (2/23/2021 10:25 am)

2/23/2021 9:10 am  #457

Changed the point system above to plug a loophole that would let players guess a letter one day and then guess an answer the next for more points.

2/23/2021 9:23 am  #458

Changed the rules to allow multiple guesses a day. Sorry about these updates. Since this is the first time for this particular style,. I'm revising things as I think of ways to improve this game.

2/23/2021 6:21 pm  #459

Just to make things slightly easier, you can guess at an answer even if a letter guess is in progress, you just can't guess at a second letter if an earlier one is in the queue. That said, it's possible to go through the alphabet in a single day if you happen to catch me online at the right time, at which point it's just a matter of matching the real name to the code name. Tomorrow morning Pacific time I'll pick a letter at random if no one has guessed a letter sooner.

2/23/2021 8:01 pm  #460

S

2/23/2021 9:05 pm  #461

26 points remaining for each:
1. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ (No S)
2. _ S _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
3. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
4. _ _ _ _ _ S  _ _ _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
6. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
7. S _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _
8. S _ _ _ _  _ _ _ S
9. _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
10. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ S _ _ _
11. _ _ _ _  _ _ S _ _ _ _
12. _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
13. _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
14. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ (No S)
15. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
16. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ S
17. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ S
18. _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
19. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ S
20. _ _ _ S _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
21. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
22. _ _ S _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
23. _ _ S _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _
24. _ _ _ _ _ S  _ _ _ _ _  
25. _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ (No S)

2/24/2021 4:13 am  #462

E

2/24/2021 4:51 am  #463

25 points remaining for each:
1. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ (No E, S)
2. _ S _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ E _ _ _
3. _ E _ _ E _  _ _ E E _ (No S)
4. _ _ _ _ _ S  _ _ _ _ E
5. _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ (No E, S)
6. E _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ (No S)
7. S E _ _ _ _  _ _ _ E
8. S _ _ _ _  E _ _ S
9. _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ E _ (No S)
10. _ _ _ E _ _  _ S _ E _
11. _ _ _ _  _ E S _ _ _ _
12. _ _ _ _  _ E _ _ _ E _ _ (No S)
13. _ _ _ _ E E _  _ _ _ _ _ E _ (No S)
14. _ _ _ _ E _  _ E _ _ (No S)
15. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ E (No S)
16. _ _ _ _ _ E _ _  _ _ _ _ S
17. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ E S
18. E _ _ _  _ E E _ _ _ _ (No S)
19. _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ E S
20. _ _ E S _ _ _  _ _ _ _ E
21. _ _ _ _ _ _ E _  _ _ _ _ E (No S)
22. _ _ S E _ _  _ E _ _ _
23. _ _ S E _ _  _ _ _ _ E _
24. _ E _ _ _ S  _ E _ _ _  
25. _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ (No E, S)

2/24/2021 6:27 am  #464

6 Edward Nigma, Riddler

2/24/2021 6:28 am  #465

2 Oswald Cobblepot, Penguin.

2/24/2021 6:29 am  #466

7 Selina Kyle, Catwoman

2/24/2021 6:31 am  #467

14 Harvey Dent, Two-Face

2/24/2021 6:32 am  #468

5 Floyd Lawton, Deadshot

2/24/2021 6:33 am  #469

13 Harleen Quinzel, Harley Quinn

2/24/2021 6:33 am  #470

19 Waylon Jones, Killer Croc

2/24/2021 6:34 am  #471

24 Jervis Tetch, Mad Hatter

2/24/2021 6:35 am  #472

17 Victor Fries, Mister Freeze

2/24/2021 6:36 am  #473

10 Pamela Isley, Poison Ivy

2/24/2021 6:57 am  #474

Those are all correct and that was also the spelIing I was going with with Nigma/Nygma (had someone guessed the letter Y, that would have made that one too easy). 250 points!

Remaining still worth 25 each:
4. _ _ _ _ _ S  _ _ _ _ E
8. S _ _ _ _  E _ _ S
15. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ E (No S)

2/24/2021 7:38 am  #475

4 Thomas Blake, Catman

2/24/2021 7:42 am  #476

15 Jonathan Crane, Scarecrow

2/24/2021 7:55 am  #477

Those two are also correct, bringing your total to 300

8. S _ _ _ _  E _ _ S

2/24/2021 8:11 am  #478

20 Preston Payne, Clayface

2/24/2021 8:12 am  #479

9 Drury Walker, Killer Moth

2/24/2021 8:20 am  #480

8 Simon Ecks, Doctor Double-X

Board footera