Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2020 5:59 am  #1

Spider-Man Through the Decades tpb

Historical text from Comixfan:

shazam2271
Sep 28, 2011, 01:59 pm

I didn't see a thread for this. If someone already started one, my apologies. It's been awhile since I was able to post...major things going on in my and family's lives. I have been trying to keep up with what's going on here. Hopefully I can get back into the groove and participate more. Missed it...lol.

SPIDER-MAN THROUGH THE DECADES TPB
Written by VARIOUS
Penciled by VARIOUS
Cover by VARIOUS
Spider-Man: a hero in every age! Watch as Spidey matures from a high-school student fighting Sandman to a desperate hero battling the Green Goblin to the death! Witness threats ranging from underworld thugs to giant robots to alien symbiotes! And see some of the key moments in his personal life, including his proposal to Mary Jane Watson! It’s a glimpse of classic Spidey from every era of his life — accompanied by thoughtful text pieces highlighting Spidey’s growth and evolution, and featuring an all-new set of Spidey-centric OHOTMU profiles! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #4, #50, #122, #195, #243, #290, #363 and #415; and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1999) #2, #40 and #546.
264 PGS./Rated T+ ...$26.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5758-8
captainswift
Sep 28, 2011, 09:37 pm

Some good profiles they're going to be, too.

Andy E. Nystrom
Sep 28, 2011, 10:06 pm

Can anyone give a sense of how many pages total the entries are? I already have all but one of the stories on a Gitcorp DVD-ROM and some of the stories I even have another copy of in Essential format. I don't read post-OMD Spider-Man solo stories (I did try a couple of Free Comic Book Day stories and they weren't for me) so the entries are the only part of the book I'm interested in.

Roger Ott
Sep 28, 2011, 10:37 pm

Not sure if we're allowed to say how many pages the entries cover. Maybe someone higher up the chain of command will comment. But, I will say that there's one fairly large and significant Spider-related entry that's never been profiled before. Plus, another one I've been waiting to see for years, and I got the extreme joy of writing it!

Andy E. Nystrom
Sep 29, 2011, 01:34 am

Roger Ott wrote:

Not sure if we're allowed to say how many pages the entries cover. Maybe someone higher up the chain of command will comment. But, I will say that there's one fairly large and significant Spider-related entry that's never been profiled before. Plus, another one I've been waiting to see for years, and I got the extreme joy of writing it!

Hmm, the most significant Spider-related entry that I can think of that's never been profiled before would be the radioactive spider. That should go on my wish list regardless.

bigvis497
Oct 10, 2011, 09:15 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

I could see Peter's high school getting an entry

captainswift
Oct 10, 2011, 11:08 pm

(It's the cigar store Indian Peter used to keep in his apartment.)

slevin87
Dec 6, 2011, 03:42 pm

It's coming out tomorrow. I'll be very interested to see who's covered.

Roger Ott
Dec 6, 2011, 11:13 pm

Tick Tock, Tick Tock...

Eduardo M.
Dec 6, 2011, 11:56 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

Tick Tock, Tick Tock...

EVERYBODY RUN!!! ROGER'S WIRED TO BLOW!!!!

slevin87
Dec 7, 2011, 02:57 pm

Not as many entries as I'd hoped but still a good selection. I do hope that eventually Doc Ock and Electro get expanded entries though. They're interspersed between issues. Here's who's covered:

Cat ("Red") (1/2)
Maxie Shiffman (1/2)
Midtown High School (4)
Green Goblin (Hamilton) (1)
Sin-Eater (Carter) (1)
Scream (Diego) (1)
American Son (Stacy) (2)
Horizon Labs (1)

Andy E. Nystrom
Dec 7, 2011, 06:31 pm

I didn't get this because I wanted to find out the page count before ordering and apparently no comic shops in Victoria ordered a copy for their non-pull stock. For purposes of updating my various lists, is the Cat covered the same one from Amazing Spider-Man#30, i.e. the Prowler impersonator?

slevin87
Dec 7, 2011, 06:43 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Is the Cat covered the same one from Amazing Spider-Man#30, i.e. the Prowler impersonator?

Yes.

Sidney Osinga
Dec 7, 2011, 11:23 pm

I'm disappointed to see Ned Leeds didn't get an entry.

Andy E. Nystrom
Dec 8, 2011, 12:47 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

I'm disappointed to see Ned Leeds didn't get an entry.

I predict that he'll appear next year. Marvel's been pretty good at releasing Handbooks related to movies coming out, so it makes sense that one of the more major Spidey characters from past years would be covered then as a further selling point.

Andy E. Nystrom
Dec 9, 2011, 08:28 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

Looks like Bigvis was correct, though if you count the Spider-Man Encyclopedia it did get a previous entry

bigvis497
Dec 11, 2011, 10:13 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Looks like Bigvis was correct, though if you count the Spider-Man Encyclopedia it did get a previous entry

Awesome! Too bad I probably won't get this since I own most of the stories. Here's to hoping these and the XML TPB entries get collected somewhere soon!

Sidney Osinga
Jan 11, 2012, 03:28 am

Took a few weeks for me to get this book due to slip ups on Diamond's part. Anyways, the review.

The Good: a nice selection of profiles from various periods. It's nice seeing so many older characters who have never had an entry/ an entry to themselves being covered. And it's neat to see the entry for Midtown High School, a type of entry that hasn't been done often. The collection of classic stroies are also nice. Hopefully, Marvel will publish more books like this (X-Men Through the Ages, Daredevil Through the Ages, Captain Ultra Through the Ages, etc.)

The Bad: no entry for long time supporting cast member Ned Leeds

The Ugly: the art for Maxie Shiffman's entry. Seriously, if you couldn't have found a better picture, you should have used new art. Also, the art in the "Sensitive Issues" story is pretty awful too, although that you had no power over.

Stuart V
Jan 11, 2012, 03:43 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

The Ugly: the art for Maxie Shiffman's entry. Seriously, if you couldn't have found a better picture, you should have used new art. Also, the art in the "Sensitive Issues" story is pretty awful too, although that you had no power over.

I agree that the picture is not good, but new art was sadly not an option for this book, and there isn't a better picture of Maxie, not one that is usable as a handbook main image.

skippcomet
Jan 13, 2012, 05:29 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

And it's neat to see the entry for Midtown High School, a type of entry that hasn't been done often.

Maybe this could be the precedent for official entries on, say, Cypress Hills Cemetery or Gamma Base(s).

Sidney Osinga
Mar 14, 2012, 01:47 am

In the Midtown Hight School entry, it says Jennifer Hardesty's brother is named Joshua while Melissa Coolridge's is named Steven. Yet, in the headshots, it's the opposite. Which is correct?

Mike Fichera
Apr 11, 2012, 12:09 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

In the Midtown Hight School entry, it says Jennifer Hardesty's brother is named Joshua while Melissa Coolridge's is named Steven. Yet, in the headshots, it's the opposite. Which is correct?

Headshots are correct. Text is backwards. Mea culpa.

I also missed a few other recent Midtowners:

Spectacular Spider-Man #1000: students Craig Williams, Jimmy Franks, Noah Talbert, and Billy (last name unrevealed)
SM Unlimited #2 (2004): student Jordan (last name unrevealed)
SM Unlimited #10 (2005): student Maya Rider
SM Unlimited #11 (2005): teacher Lynn Nelson, Mr. DiPaolo (first name unrevealed), students Matt, Julie, Jeremy (last names unrevealed)
SM Unlimited #12 (2006): students Paul Sidorsky, Doughty, Fuller, Hamilton, Lanterman (first names unrevealed), and the admin Gail from Amazing 472 is named here (last name unrevealed)

Eduardo M.
Apr 11, 2012, 12:49 pm

oh well. Hopefully there'll be an update Hardcover or two in the future and these minor boo-boos can be fixed then

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera