Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2020 12:03 pm  #1

OHotMU A-Z Vol. 3 TPB

Historical text from Comixfan:

Andy E. Nystrom

Jan 25, 2012, 05:16 pm

There wasn't an existing thread for this volume. I don't think the solicitation is all that necessary at this late stage, so here's what's in the updates:
Captain Axis
Cobra
Coldheart
Commanda
Crossbones
Crossfire
Crossroads
Crusader (Z'Reig - this is the Skrull whose real name was unrevealed in the hardcover)
Crusaders
Crystal
Crystar
Jaine Cutter
Cutthroat
Cyber
Cyclone
Cyclops
Cypher
Dagger
Daily Bugle
Daken
Damballah
Danger
Daredevil
Dark Angel
Dark Beast
Dark Gods
Dark Riders
Darkdevil
Darkhawk
Darkhold
Darkhold Redeemers
Darkstar
Darwin
Daydream
Days of Future Past
Dazzler (Blaire)
D'Bari
Deadpool
Karolina Dean
Death
Deathbord
Deathcry
Deathlok (Collins)
Deathlok (Manning)
Deathlok (Truman & Young)
Death's Head (FPA)
Death's Head (Miniopn)
Death's Head (Vanguard)
Deathwatch
Decibel
Defenders
Delilah
Demagorge
Demolition-Man
Demon-Fire
Demons (2 PAGES!)
Desak
Destiny (Adler)
Destroyer (Marlow/Aubrey)
Deviants
Devil-Slayer
Devlor
Devos the Devastator
Jean Dewolf
Diamond Lil
Diamondback (Leighton)
Diamondhead
Digitek
District X
Doc Samson
Doctor Demonicus
Doctor Doom
Doctor Doom's Generals
Doctor Druid
Doctor Faustus
Doctor Octopus
Doctor Strange (cross-reference only)
Dominic Fortune
Milla Donovan
Doop
Doppleganger
Dormammu
D.P.7
Dracula
Dragon Man
Drax
Druig
D'Spayre
Jean-Paul Duchamp
Timothy "Dum Dum" Dugan
Dust
Debrii
Echo
Ethan Edwards
Ego
El Dorado
Electro
Elektra
Elementals

rplss

Jan 31, 2012, 05:46 pm

Fans like us immediately flip to the index to see who is in the updates, but a first time reader won't. There ought to be some sort of notation in the main entry indicating that there is a update, such as "please see appendix for update". Otherwise the user's experience is to flip back to the appendix for each entry to see if there's an update, or otherwise have a disjointed experience reading main entries first, then updates later.

Take Diamond Lil's entry, for instance, which makes no reference to the very important unfortunate events described in her update.

I just think it would be nice to alert the reader that there's more info in the back of the book using some kind of endnote, which is a common element for reference books.

JusticeGH

Feb 1, 2012, 04:38 pm

This book is the spotlighted book from the Trades department over at Marvel.com, and there's a little article explaining how the art reconstruction process works--fun background information for handbook fans, I think.

http://fans.marvel.com/trades_depart...z_of_handbooks

Rayeye

Feb 10, 2012, 08:59 am

I wonder what's the Dark Riders' and Days of Future Past' update exactly about, because AFAIK they haven't made any new appearances since their hardcover profile.

Phoenixx9

Feb 10, 2012, 03:48 pm

Rayeye wrote:

I wonder what's the Dark Riders' and Days of Future Past' update exactly about, because AFAIK they haven't made any new appearances since their hardcover profile.

Good point.

Maybe just a few new sentences of additional details?

Or, maybe both are going to be featured in an upcoming storyline?

captainswift

Feb 10, 2012, 04:20 pm

Rayeye wrote:

Dark Riders just lists the active notations (i.e. the "first appearance" of each member as a member of the group), which was not included the first time around.

The Days of Future Past reality did actually appear in Hulk: Broken Worlds. The Update also includes a few images of people who weren't pictured in the original profile.

Rayeye

Feb 11, 2012, 03:20 pm

captainswift wrote:

The Days of Future Past reality did actually appear in Hulk: Broken Worlds. The Update also includes a few images of people who weren't pictured in the original profile.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the appearance in that Hulk mini.

Sidney Osinga

Feb 14, 2012, 07:42 pm

A list of changes that I found between this and the hardcover. I didn't compare them word for word, so I may have missed some.

Crimson Dynamo (Gavrilov) - caption added to one secondary picture

Crusader (Blackwood) - page layout altered

Crystar - supporting cast picture recolored

Cyclone (Fresson) - slight layout change

Captain Axis - secondary picture enlarged and slighty cropped, color added to white background

O.Z. Chase- secondary picture removed and replaced by headshot

Danger - page layout altered; intelligence 3 and fighting skills 4 with yellow bars in both at 7 to show specialized knowladge of X-Men

Dark Angel - yellow bar in strength changed to green

Dark Riders - Riders of the Dark caption changed to Ancient Dark Riders and includes first appearence

Darwin - Intelligence changed to 4, strength to 3, energy projection to 2, with yellow bars in all three catagories changed to 7

Days of Future Past - main and secondary image now captioned

Deadly Ernest - slight rewritng of entry to clarify Nemesis' role in his history

Death (cosmic entity) - first appearence clarified, although the word "Modern" should have been removed to reflect this

Deathlok (Truman and Young) - Truman headshot recolored

Death's Head Warguard - secondary picture captioned

Deliah - Main image reduced in size; new paragraph covering information left out of the hardcover added

Demogorge - secondary images removed, new image added

Deviants - new main image taken from Thor & Hercules: Encyclopedia Mythologica, new secondary image; headshots rearranged alphabetical and with some information removed

Devlor - headshot recolored

Diamond Lil - secondary picture recolored

Dominic Fortune (Fotunoff) - added yellow bar to 3 in speed to represent in prime

Dragon Circle - first appearences of Wind Eagle and Soul Strangler added to captions

Drax - yellow bar to 6 in energy projection added to represent first incarnation

Dweller in Drakness - secondary picture of Dweller's Shadow now captioned

Daydream - Betty Ross (Red She-Hulk) added in Known Relatives as alledged mother; parts of first and second last sentence rewritten with new information

Deluge - secondary picture captioned

Devil's Heart - picture enlarged

Divinity Drake - secondary picture captioned

Echo - yellow bar to 7 added for fighting skills to represent potential

Ethan Edwards - two new captioned pictures added

Elements of Doom - entry changed from race-style to team style (traits now part of history)

Eduardo M.

Feb 14, 2012, 10:22 pm

those are changes to the entires themselves???

Sidney Osinga

Feb 14, 2012, 11:26 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

those are changes to the entires themselves???

Yes

Eduardo M.

Feb 15, 2012, 11:43 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Yes

wow. i wasnt expecting that. I thought these softcovers were just going to put in the back.

captainswift

Feb 15, 2012, 01:12 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

wow. i wasnt expecting that. I thought these softcovers were just going to put in the back.

Overt mistakes, whether they're typos or factual information, are corrected within the entries (but only up to the point of the profile's date). Some art mistakes are also corrected, such as coloring errors, and some effort is being made to add labels where they're needed, especially in group profiles where the first appearance and/or "active as of" information wasn't listed.

Anything revealed after the profile saw print are in the appendix.

Rayeye

Feb 17, 2012, 05:19 pm

Thanks Sidney for posting the changes. Much appreciated!

bigvis497

Feb 17, 2012, 09:24 pm

Curious, no update or cross-reference for Domino? She's had some lengthy updates since the HC, the Deadpool and Women handbooks I'd I'm not mistaken...

Eduardo M.

Feb 17, 2012, 10:38 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Curious, no update or cross-reference for Domino? She's had some lengthy updates since the HC, the Deadpool and Women handbooks I'd I'm not mistaken...

Thats probably why. Though I'm surprised if there's no mention of the Deadpool handbook

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera