Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2020 12:09 pm  #1

OHotMU A-Z Vol. 4 TPB

Historical text from Comixfan:

Andy E. Nystrom

Feb 21, 2012, 01:39 pm

Coming next month.

Written by VARIOUS
Cover By TOM GRUMMETT
AT LAST! The landmark, encyclopedia-style OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE hardcover series finally is reprinted in softcover format! Each volume has corrected any errors in all profiles — and features an all-new, 16-page “Where Are They Now?” update addendum with text and art! An indispensable resource for all true Marvel fans!
VOL. 4 spotlights hundreds of characters beginning with E, F and G — including Eternity, Excalibur, Fantastic Four, Fin Fang Foom, Emma Frost, Nick Fury, Galactus, Gambit, two Ghost Riders, Gravity and the Guardians of the Galaxy!
256 PGS./Rated T+ …$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5833-2

Andy E. Nystrom

Mar 28, 2012, 07:40 pm

The following entries have updates. 1 page or more noted here, but page counts for all will be in the Master List:

Elixir
Emplate
Enchantress
Enforcers
Epoch
Equinox
Ereshkigal
Eternals
Eternity
Eurth
Excalibur
Exemplars
Exiles (WWII)
Exiles (Dimension-Hopping) - 1 page
Exodus
Ezekiel
Faceless Ones
Factor Three
Falcon
Fallen One
Fantastic Four
Fantomex
Father Time
Femme Fatales
Fin
Fin Fang Foom
Firebird
Firelord
Firestar
First Line
Fixer
Flag-Smasher
Fly
Flying Tiger
Foolkiller (Gerhardt)
Force
Forge
Frankenstein's Monster
Free Spirit
Friday
Frightful Four
Frog-Man
Emma Frost
Fury
Nick Fury
Fusion (Markley)
Gabriel the Air-Walker
Gaea
Galactus
Gambit
Gamesmaster
Gamma Corps
Gamma Mutates - 1 1/4 pages
Gamora
Gargoyle
John Garrett
Geist
Generation X
Genosha
Ghost
Ghost Dancer
Ghost Rider
Gibbon
Gilgamesh
Gladiators
Glob
Ma Gnussi
Golem
Goliath
Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg and Book
Gorgon
Gorilla-Man
Grand Director
Grandmaster
Glory Grant
Gravity
Great Game
Great Lakes Initiative
Grey Gargoyle
Griffin
Grim Hunter
Grim Reaper
Grizzly
Guardian
Guardians of the Galaxy

rplss

Mar 29, 2012, 08:02 am

The Guardian update suggests that his wife, Vindicator, has been cured of the Unity process, but in the last issue (#8) of the most recent Alpha Flight series, it looks as if she weren't cured. It even goes so far as to suggest her betrayal is based on other reasons unrelated to the Unity process. I'm wondering where that's coming from because I don't see it in that last issue.

Stuart V

Mar 29, 2012, 12:38 pm

rplss wrote:

The Guardian update suggests that his wife, Vindicator, has been cured of the Unity process, but in the last issue (#8) of the most recent Alpha Flight series, it looks as if she weren't cured. It even goes so far as to suggest her betrayal is based on other reasons unrelated to the Unity process. I'm wondering where that's coming from because I don't see it in that last issue.

That was the point of Alpha Flight #8 - it's unclear if she was infected with Unity or if she was acting of her own volition. The Unity cure wasn't selective - it cured everyone. If Vindicator was infected, she would have been cured. Yet after the cure was released, she still took the baby and fled, still behaving as she had the entire series/not acting cured. That cast doubt on her being infected.

Our text reflects that:

After fiercely battling each other, Guardian and Vindicator confronted
the Master, who threatened a captive Claire at the same moment Alpha
Flight’s Unity cure was activated. The two defeated the Master and saved
Claire, but Vindicator fled the scene with their daughter, casting doubt upon
Vindicator’s betrayal being caused by the Unity Process;

rplss

Mar 29, 2012, 02:42 pm

I thought it was established in the previous issue that she had undergone the Unity process when Wolverine noticed her four toed foot on the beach.

I also thought the un-Unity machine worked locally on a single subject, as shown when Kyle Jinadu was blasted, and by the captions where citizens were warned to surrender to individual requests to remove their shoes. I didn't think the machine had any area effect but rather, it required proxmity and only worked on individuals, and clearly Vindicator flew off with Claire before its effects could be applied.

Stuart V

Mar 29, 2012, 06:25 pm

From the writer of the Guardian update:

Hmmmm...

You are correct - Kyle is individually blasted and the police are inspecting individual people in #8, but based on the cure being pheromone based, one is led to believe that the cure would ultimately be area/airborne (as well as having an individual blast possibility). I don't think it's feasible in any stretch of the imagination to think that any country could systematically check every single citizen of a country (or even just one province or one city) and offer an individual cure to each one. I can't see Van Lente or Pak even suggesting it - that's too far-fetched, even for comics. I think what we're seeing in the scene with the police are spot checks to confirm all is well.

I disagree that Heather left before the treatment could have affected her - the art on that page leads one to believe she *could* have been exposed to the cure. However, she still ran off. Is she under Unity influence? Is she not?

However - you have a good point about Wolverine spotting Heather's missing toe in #7, though.

Perhaps a better way we could have phrased that final sentence is something like:
casting doubt upon whether Vindicator’s actions were completely caused by the Unity Process;

Bottom line really is we won't know until her next appearance. Hopefully that will clear up if all her actions were Unity-based or if she had free will. Personally, I think it's more the latter.

RVcousin

Mar 30, 2012, 08:11 pm

I will not get my copy until at least 4 weeks, so can sommeone help my curiosity :
what is updated in the Excalibur, Exiles (Dimension) Generation X and Factor Three ? Nothing really happened to this teams since the previous HC ?

Sidney Osinga

Mar 30, 2012, 11:38 pm

RVcousin wrote:

I will not get my copy until at least 4 weeks, so can sommeone help my curiosity :
what is updated in the Excalibur, Exiles (Dimension) Generation X and Factor Three ? Nothing really happened to this teams since the previous HC ?

The Excalibur and Factor Three updates contained the first active list for the members. The Generation X update had four pictures of uniforms not shown in the original entry. The Exiles update, however, is nearly a full page in length and covers the events of the Exiles series since the hardcover came out as well as having a number of pictures of new members since then.

Sidney Osinga

Apr 1, 2012, 12:40 am

Once again, here's a list of the changes between the hardcover and the trade.

Elf with a Gun - first appearances added to captions; note no longer in italics

Elixir - 2 new secondary images added, one captioned

Emplate - caption added to headshot; yellow bars to seven in all catagories in the power grid to represent potential with siphoned powers

Epoch - new captioned secondary image added

Eternal Brain - one secondary image recolored

Eternals - line moved from after Traits to before; 2 headshots replaced, two headshots had backgrounds removed, one majorly recolored, many minorly recolored and/or resized

Eternity - secondary image replaced by new captioned one

Euroforce - First Appearance altered

Exemplars - order of members headshots changed

Exiles (dimension hopping) - very slight formatting change

Fantasic Five (MC-2) - slight formatting change; first appearances/active added to all but two captions

Fantastic Force - order of headshots changed

Father Time (Scott) - main image recolored

Fathom Five - one picture recolored; first appearances added to captions

Ferocia - new captioned secondary image added

Fight-Man - main image reduced in size; new captioned secondary image added

Firestar - new captioned secondary image added

Richard Fisk - one secondary image cropped and captioned; new captioned secondary image added; slight formatting change

Vanessa Fisk - two paragraphs merged into one

Folding Cirle - issue actived added to captions

Follows of the Light - first appearances added to 2 headshots and 2 secondary pictures

Force Four - main image recolored

Force Works - captions removed from main image and replaced by new caption with first active issues; caption of inset of main image now includes active issue; inset moved; "Joined in" from captions of Dreamguard and Cybermancer changed to "Active"; captions of 8 secondary image now includes first appearances; one secondary image altered; one new captioned secondary image added

Forge - one secondary image cropped; slight formatting change

Frankenstein's Monster - first appearances added to all secondary captions

Frightful Four - active issue added to secondary image

Frogman (Patilio) - caption removed from one secondary image; active ssue added to one secondary image

Emma Frost - main image slightly recolored

Fury (cybiote) - captions added to main image and secondary image; two new captioned secondary images added

Nick Fury - very slight formatting change

Fusion (Markly) - secondary image recolored

Freedom Ring - power grid tweaked

Fusion (Fusser twins) - secondary picture recolored

Galactus - first appearances added to two secondary pictures

Gamesmaster - yellow bar in intelligence in power grid now goes to 7

Gamma Mutates - one secondary picture flipped and recolored (Hubert St. Johns); one secondary picture replaced (Geiger); some secondary pictures recolored; last page reformatted

Gargoyle (Christians) - headshot recolored

Generation X - Gaia picture removed and replaced by new one; active issues added to Gaia picture and Mondo (clone) headshot

Geshem - new caption with first appearance of all but one character added to image; bottom 3 images on second page slightly cropped; new caption with first appearances added to second page

Ghost Rider (2099 A.D.) - part of main image altered

Gilgamesh - sound effect removed from one secondary image

Gladiator (Potter) - new captioned inset in secondary image

Glob - Joe Timms headshot and Sumner Beckwith secondary image recolored; Sumner Beckwith headshot resized and recolored

Goddess - yellow bars added to all stats in power grid to represent with cosmic egg

Goldbug - captions for all costume images tweaked

Grandmaster - speed changed to 2 in power grid with yellow bar to 7 to represent warp speed and teleportation

Gravition - 3 secondary images recolored

Great Lakes Initiative - order of two headshots changed

Great One - note added in caption of secondary image

Grizzly (Markham) - one secondary image recolored

Guardian (James Hudson) - one secondary picture recolored

Appendix - Earth-900651 added to end, making it out of order

golden_guardian

Apr 1, 2012, 01:17 am

Does Foolkiller (Gerhardt) really have green hair? I thought it was just an error in the HC but it still says green in the TPB. His headshot clearly shows brown hair. His eye color says brown so maybe they were just mixed up?

Stuart V

Apr 1, 2012, 11:14 am

golden_guardian wrote:

Does Foolkiller (Gerhardt) really have green hair? I thought it was just an error in the HC but it still says green in the TPB. His headshot clearly shows brown hair. His eye color says brown so maybe they were just mixed up?

It's an error.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera