Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2021 2:50 am  #1

Where in the world is...?

I'd like to propose a new subforum, with a couple of subforums within it (if that's possible). The idea would be to track the clues to where fictional locations set in the real world might be. I'm not suggesting anyone go off and do a ton of research on a given location (though they can if they want to), but rather that when watching or reading a piece of fiction if that then happens to provide a placement clue then the viewer/reader might subsequently pop onto the forum and post the details of said clue. Any such posts should ideally make it clear where the clue was provided, as I've seen too much erroneous placement info on wikis - I had an e-mail conversation like this recently with someone when I queried them claiming a certain fictional building was in a location that I knew was incorrect :

Me: Why did you say Muir Island was off the Shetland Islands?
Poster: I remember lots of comics saying it was there.
Me: Which comics?
Poster: I don't remember, but lots of comics. I'm certain of it.
Me: I've checked literally every appearance of Muir Island that I know of, and not one says it is near the Shetlands. Multiple issues place it closer to Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis, which would be over 200 miles away from where you are saying.
Poster: Oh.

I've changed the place names, but this is otherwise almost verbatim. The only other thing I modified was the distance - the erroneous placement actually shifted the fictional building over 400 miles from where the original sources said it was.

My point being, no going from vague recollection - clues should be freshly uncovered/checked, and always with a citation of where they came from.

In terms of formatting the subforum, I'd suggest a general section, but also subforums within it for Marvel locations and DC locations, maybe others too if they are potentially going to yield a ton of locations. And to make it any sort of viable resource, one location per thread, though any number of posts relating clues to that location are fine. I'd rather end up with tons of threads than one thread where it's impossible to collate and compare all the clues for a given location because those clues are mixed in with dozens of clues for other places.

3/14/2021 6:53 am  #2

Re: Where in the world is...?

I only just saw this. Will set this up. I think you can only go one more level down, but I can trick this a little by creating a new broad category.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/14/2021 7:07 am  #3

Everything moved. The name "Thrilling Locations" is a nod to the James Bond role-playing game, one of the best RPGs of its era.I could switch to "Where in the World is..." if that is preferred, but this way someone if they feel like it can, say, try to pinpoint the location on Mars of the Martians from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

3/14/2021 7:36 am  #4

My Commercial Street Station post was accidentally moved to Forum Rules.

3/14/2021 7:54 am  #5

Fixed!

3/14/2021 8:05 am  #6

One thing I propose is that for movies and shows, official sources also be allowed, like home video packaging, official websites, the actual script, authorized print tie-ins, etc. If a movie is two hours' long, the location is only mentioned once in the movie, and the viewer can't recall the approximate time it was mentioned, it will likely be pretty time consuming to try to doublecheck a recollection. Maybe even professional (not fan) episode/movie reviews as they're usually written right after being viewed?

3/14/2021 1:07 pm  #7

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

One thing I propose is that for movies and shows, official sources also be allowed, like home video packaging, official websites, the actual script, authorized print tie-ins, etc. If a movie is two hours' long, the location is only mentioned once in the movie, and the viewer can't recall the approximate time it was mentioned, it will likely be pretty time consuming to try to doublecheck a recollection. Maybe even professional (not fan) episode/movie reviews as they're usually written right after being viewed?

I'm fine with that - I just want to ensure that some level of citation is given, so that others can double check if they are so-inclined. 

3/18/2021 6:53 am  #8

Would you also be interested in a separate sub-forum for real life locations that have been used in an interesting manner in fiction? For example, on Dark Angel, Max would relax on top of the real life Space Needle in Seattle.

3/18/2021 7:44 am  #9

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Would you also be interested in a separate sub-forum for real life locations that have been used in an interesting manner in fiction? For example, on Dark Angel, Max would relax on top of the real life Space Needle in Seattle.

Don't see why not. Various fictions have used famous real world locations - Doc Savage living in the Empire State Building, the Invaders basing themselves while in London out of the Clocktower of the Palace of Westminster, UNIT in post-2005 Doctor Who using the Tower of London as their base (made doubly funny because that's where Marvel put WHO in the late 1980s/early 1990s Excalibur, with WHO being based off of UNIT). It wouldn't hurt to gradually assemble a list of such things.

Board footera