Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2020 4:49 pm  #1

Thor: Asgard's Avenger

Historical text from Comixfan:

Rob London
Jan 18, 2011, 01:53 pm

You wanted a new Handbook? You got it! Coming from Marvel in April...

THOR: ASGARD’S AVENGER
Written by VARIOUS
Select Character Artwork by GUS VAZQUEZ
Cover by TOM RANEY

Verily! The ideal companion for the Thor (http://thor.marvel.com/) motion picture! Begin quenching thy curiosity of all things Asgardian with this assemblage of all-new Thor-related profiles in the time-honored OHOTMU manner! Learn of foul rogues such as Malekith, Mangog and the fiery Surtur; lovely visions like Jane Foster, Kelda and Karnilla; mystical items including the Norn Stones and the Oversword; and, of course, heroes worthy of song: the new Thunderstrike, Vidar, Volstagg and an update on the noble Thor himself! Plus: the Nine Worlds of Asgard, an Appendix of its citizenry and more! Featuring new art by GUS VAZQUEZ! Truly, a tome worthy of the gods! Miss it not!

64 PGS./Handbook/One-Shot/Rated T+ …$4.99
Roger Ott
Jan 18, 2011, 02:00 pm

I'm sure this book comes as no surprise, but I'm glad an official announcement has been made. Can't wait!

Phoenixx9
Jan 18, 2011, 02:03 pm

Rob London wrote:

You wanted a new Handbook? You got it! Coming from Marvel in April...

THOR: ASGARD'S AVENGER

Written by VARIOUS
Select Character Artwork by GUS VAZQUEZ
Cover by TOM RANEY

Verily! The ideal companion for the THOR motion picture! Begin quenching thy curiosity of all things Asgardian with this assemblage of all-new Thor-related profiles in the time-honored OHOTMU manner! Learn of foul rogues such as Malekith, Mangog and the fiery Surtur; lovely visions like Jane Foster, Kelda and Karnilla; mystical items including the Norn Stones and the Oversword; and, of course, heroes worthy of song: the new Thunderstrike, Vidar, Volstagg and an update on the noble Thor himself! Plus: the Nine Worlds of Asgard, an Appendix of its citizenry and more! Featuring new art by Gus Vazquez! Truly, a tome worthy of the gods! Miss it not!
64 PGS./Handbook/One-Shot/Rated T+ …$4.99

Yah, Yah, Yah!!!

I have been itching for a new HB, especially on Thor and associates! Glad to see 1 of my 4 HB guess for 2011 is correct!

:cheers: Jane Foster, Karnilla, Norn Stones and Volstagg, as well as a Thor update! :clap:

:hope: Now, please, please, please include: Casiolena, The Enchanters, Fragon, and Ollerus. Then this book would be near complete and as precious as the Golden Apples of Idunn! :cross: I know I would be on Cloud 9, er, I mean on Nine Worlds of Asgard! :cloud9:

ultrabasurero
Jan 18, 2011, 03:44 pm

It seems like there's going to be a lot of minor updated entries like Heimdall and Sif. Hopefully they are kept at 1 page max to allow more new entries in just like in the Iron Manual Mk 3.

Captain Speedbump
Jan 18, 2011, 03:45 pm

Sweet News indeed! :dance:

Hopefully, a movie tie-in handbook featuring a certain red, white and blue avenger is on the way as well!

Capt. Speedbump

bigvis497
Jan 18, 2011, 04:44 pm

Not surprised at all about this, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited! Glad to see some 80's OHOTMU favorites will be getting modern treatment!

Eduardo M.
Jan 18, 2011, 06:41 pm

Me excited BIG TIME!!:dance::dance:

I hope Kelda's poor boyfriend Bill gets an entry as well as her.

Even if they're only a page I hope there aren't too many update pages. I'd rather see some new stuff then a 1-page entry on Hela, Balder, Odin, or Valkyrie with maybe a paragraph of new info.

William Keogh
Jan 18, 2011, 07:00 pm

Good news!

captainswift
Jan 19, 2011, 12:29 am

I would only be disappointed if Fandral and Hogun don't have full entries. Anyone else is cake.

sucellos11
Jan 19, 2011, 04:51 pm

Executioner and Kurse are a must!

Phoenixx9
Jan 19, 2011, 05:24 pm

sucellos11 wrote:

Executioner and Kurse are a must!

:yeah: Executioner and Kurse (along with the others I mentioned earlier)have been on my Wish List from the beginning, and this is the perfect time and place for them ALL to get an entry! Go Thor HB!!

PaxHouse
Jan 19, 2011, 05:35 pm

captainswift wrote:

I would only be disappointed if Fandral and Hogun don't have full entries. Anyone else is cake.

Somehow, I don't think that you'll be disappointed, since I see the Warriors Three on the cover.......but then again, sometimes the Editors on the Handbooks do decides to drop some entries to make more room for others.... :chin:

Still, keep your fingers crossed for both Fandral & Hogun..... :cross: :hope:

PS.....I also want to see any updates on Kurse as well..... :yeah:

DrGoodwrench
Jan 19, 2011, 08:15 pm

captainswift wrote:

Hopefully, a movie tie-in handbook featuring a certain red, white and blue avenger is on the way as well!

There's an Iron Patriot movie coming out? Excellent!

Eduardo M.
Jan 19, 2011, 09:13 pm

DrGoodwrench wrote:

There's an Iron Patriot movie coming out? Excellent!

yep. with Jack Black as the title character and Betty White as the Karla Sofen/Ms Marvel

Phoenixx9
Jan 20, 2011, 03:45 pm

ultrabasurero wrote:

It seems like there's going to be a lot of minor updated entries like Heimdall and Sif. Hopefully they are kept at 1 page max to allow more new entries in.

Eduardo M. wrote:

Even if they're only a page I hope there aren't too many update pages. I'd rather see some new stuff then a 1-page entry on Hela, Balder, Odin, or Valkyrie with maybe a paragraph of new info.

Good points, both. While I would love to see a Valkyrie update--is there really any info to report on her? A few sentences probably at most.

I think the space is really needed to cover those who didn't get covered in the 14 HC volumes and for some who have never received an entry.

The cover looks amazing. So it seems there may be a good 6-12 character updates. I Hope they are limited to 1/2 page or 1 page max.

Eduardo M.
Jan 20, 2011, 03:49 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

The cover looks amazing. So it seems there may be a good 6-12 character updates. I Hope they are limited to 1/2 page or 1 page max.

I'm hoping Hela's appearance on the cover is to represent the Hel dimension and that Valkyrie is there to represent the Valkyior as a group. Much like how Cage, Iron Fist, and Sentry were on the cover to the Mighty Avengers Most Wanted Files because they were members of the Avengers and not because they were getting entries

bigvis497
Jan 20, 2011, 04:37 pm

The last Iron Man handbook did a great job of keeping the necessary "movie character" updates to a minimum, while still giving us plenty of new entries. I have faith this handbook will be similar.

sucellos11
Jan 20, 2011, 05:04 pm

Anyone is willing to list all the characters on the cover please? I think I don't recognize one of them...

Phoenixx9
Jan 20, 2011, 05:28 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

I'm hoping Hela's appearance on the cover is to represent the Hel dimension and that Valkyrie is there to represent the Valkyior as a group. Much like how Cage, Iron Fist, and Sentry were on the cover to the Mighty Avengers Most Wanted Files because they were members of the Avengers and not because they were getting entries

I Hope you are correct, Eduardo! I would like a Valkyrior and Hel dimension entries.

bigvis497 wrote:

The last Iron Man handbook did a great job of keeping the necessary "movie character" updates to a minimum, while still giving us plenty of new entries. I have faith this handbook will be similar.

I Hope you are correct, BigVis497!

sucellos11 wrote:

Anyone is willing to list all the characters on the cover please? I think I don't recognize one of them...

Well, I see:
Hela
Odin
Enchantress
Thor
Heimdall
Sif
Balder
Warriors 3
(The) Valkyrie
Destroyer
2 females: maybe Lorelei? maybe Krista (a valkyrie)

Eduardo M.
Jan 20, 2011, 06:55 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

Well, I see:
Hela
Odin
Enchantress
Thor
Heimdall
Sif
Balder
Warriors 3
(The) Valkyrie
Destroyer

One of them seems to have kinda white or grayish hair so I'm thinking that's Frigga. The other might be Kelda or Lorelei

sucellos11
Jan 21, 2011, 06:56 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

I Hope you are correct, Eduardo! I would like a Valkyrior and Hel dimension entries.

I Hope you are correct, BigVis497!

Well, I see:
Hela
Odin
Enchantress
Thor
Heimdall
Sif
Balder
Warriors 3
(The) Valkyrie
Destroyer

Props to you kind sir! :worthy:

I've been missing these boards so much!

ToddCam
Feb 23, 2011, 11:41 pm

The one entry I hope for is for Don Blake. I am totally confused by this guy. Is he a real person or what? On a related note, in the Indexes, why are his appearances as Don Blake omitted in the Thor parts, but present in the Avengers parts?

bigvis497
Feb 24, 2011, 09:41 am

ToddCam wrote:

The one entry I hope for is for Don Blake. I am totally confused by this guy. Is he a real person or what? On a related note, in the Indexes, why are his appearances as Don Blake omitted in the Thor parts, but present in the Avengers parts?

Didn't Simonson write him out as being Thor all along back in the 1980's? Did Blake ever appear between then and Stracyzinski's run? I didn't read much of JMS's stuff, but I have vague memories of him retconning some Don Blake stuff....

Phoenixx9
Feb 24, 2011, 01:07 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Didn't Simonson write him out as being Thor all along back in the 1980's? Did Blake ever appear between then and Stracyzinski's run? I didn't read much of JMS's stuff, but I have vague memories of him retconning some Don Blake stuff....

Yeah, this is kind of a mish-mash to me. If I ever knew the answers, I sure don't now...

...Maybe this could be included in the Thor profile?

Roger Ott
Feb 24, 2011, 01:53 pm

It's covered in the Thor profile in the Hardcovers. Don Blake was created by Odin as a vessel for Thor based on the appearance of Dr. Keith Kincaid. Odin eventually transferred the enchantment from Mjolnir that allowed him to assume the Blake ID into Beta Ray Bill's hammer Stormbreaker so Bill could assume a normal from of his race, the Korbinites.

I don't think Blake was heard from again until the Straczynski run, when he got popped out of limbo where he'd been since Odin removed the enchantment.

ToddCam
Feb 24, 2011, 05:29 pm

That was what I thought, but then the most recent index mentions him as a separate entity in some of its data. That there had been a Don Blake who was in suspended animation and then got blown up.

And then in JMS's run, who is this Don Blake? He seems like a completely separate person.

Roger Ott
Feb 24, 2011, 06:42 pm

Yeah, admittedly, the recent return kinda leaves me scratching my head, too. So yeah, maybe some more clarification in a newer entry is warranted.

gorby
Feb 25, 2011, 04:25 am

Don Blake was a creation of Odin. When Odin transferred the transformation enchantement from Mjolnir to Stormbreaker, Thor could no more transform in Blake. But his Blake aspect still existed.

In fact, when Thor was under the guise of Blake, his Thor aspect was in this dimension (like Captain Marvel and Rick Jones) and when he was under his normal form, his Blake aspect was in this dimension. Now they couldn't switch places.

When Thor died in Ragnarok, he was sent in this dimension. As they couldn't exist the both in the same dimension, the Blake aspect was expelled to Earth. He recovered Mjolnir and convinced the Thor aspect to re-merge the two aspects as before.

Michael Regan
Feb 25, 2011, 08:33 am

gorby wrote:

Don Blake was a creation of Odin. When Odin transferred the transformation enchantement from Mjolnir to Stormbreaker, Thor could no more transform in Blake. But his Blake aspect still existed.

In fact, when Thor was under the guise of Blake, his Thor aspect was in this dimension (like Captain Marvel and Rick Jones) and when he was under his normal form, his Blake aspect was in this dimension. Now they couldn't switch places.

When Thor died in Ragnarok, he was sent in this dimension. As they couldn't exist the both in the same dimension, the Blake aspect was expelled to Earth. He recovered Mjolnir and convinced the Thor aspect to re-merge the two aspects as before.

This is a concept that has been flipped back and forth for years and Blake's individuallity is still debated.

Andy E. Nystrom
Feb 25, 2011, 01:46 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

This is a concept that has been flipped back and forth for years and Blake's individuallity is still debated.

In summation then of recent posts, we really do need a Donald Blake entry to clear things up!

Phoenixx9
Feb 25, 2011, 02:36 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

In summation then of recent posts, we really do need a Donald Blake entry to clear things up!

Yup, that's what I think too, Andy!

As I stated before, I know I for one could use some clarification.

Eduardo M.
Apr 23, 2011, 07:51 pm

Is this out next week? I've been itching for some new handbooky goodness

Roger Ott
Apr 23, 2011, 11:19 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

Is this out next week? I've been itching for some new handbooky goodness

As far as I know! And I'm looking so forward to it!

The Thor Index trade also comes out, which I'm also pretty stoked for!

captainswift
Apr 24, 2011, 12:45 am

My local comic shop posts their invoice from Diamond on their web site each week. This is on it, so yes, it's out this week.

captainswift
Apr 27, 2011, 12:30 am

It's tomorrow! I'm celebrating with mead and roast boar and mead. So be it!

Phoenixx9
Apr 27, 2011, 10:20 am

Yah!

I can't wait to get this HB! I Hope all my favs get an entry. :cross:

And, I can't wait to see which characters are done by Gus Vazquez!

Roger Ott
Apr 27, 2011, 11:57 am

captainswift wrote:

It's tomorrow! I'm celebrating with mead and roast boar and mead. So be it!

And maybe some mead?

bigvis497
Apr 27, 2011, 02:30 pm

Just picked up. Inside with page count:

Ahpuch - 1/2
Archeopians - 1
Artemis - 2
Asgard (Nine Worlds) - 3
Blackworld - 1
Bloodaxe - 1
Destroyer (Odin's construct) - 2
Disir - 1
Durok the Demolisher - 1/2
Eitri - 1
Enchanters - 1
Fafnir of Nastrond - 2
Fire and Ice (event) - 1
Flame (Hrinmeer) - 1
Jane Foster - 2
Frigga - 1
Godstorm - 1
Grendell - 1
Vali Halfling - 2
Intimidators - 2
Karnilla - 2
Kelda - 1
Malekith - 2
Mangog - 2
Megatek - 1/2
Mimir - 1
New Immortals - 1
Norn Stones - 1
Oversword (aka Odinsword) - 1
Rhunian race - 2
Rumor - 1/2
Son of Satan (Loki's son) - 1/2
Sundance (Old West) - 1/2
Super-Ego (Bio-verse) - 1/2
Surtur - 2
Sylene - 1/2
Thena (Earth-982) - 1/2
Thor update - 1
Thunderstrike (Kevin Masterson) - 2
Trolls (Asgardian) - 3
Tyr - 2
Uroc - 1/2
Utgard-Loki - 1
Vidar - 1
Virako - 1
Volstagg - 2
Asgardian Appendix - 6

Eduardo M.
Apr 27, 2011, 04:06 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Just picked up. Inside with page count:

Ahpuch - 1/2
Archeopians - 1
Artemis - 2
Asgard (Nine Worlds) - 3
Blackworld - 1
Bloodaxe - 1
Destroyer (Odin's construct) - 2
Disir - 1
Durok the Demolisher - 1/2
Eitri - 1
Enchanters - 1
Fafnir of Nastrond - 2
Fire and Ice (event) - 1
Flame (Hrinmeer) - 1
Jane Foster - 2
Frigga - 1
Godstorm - 1
Grendell - 1
Vali Halfling - 2
Intimidators - 2
Karnilla - 2
Kelda - 1
Malekith - 2
Mangog - 2
Megatek - 1/2
Mimir - 1
New Immortals - 1
Norn Stones - 1
Oversword (aka Odinsword) - 1
Rhunian race - 2
Rumor - 1/2
Son of Satan (Loki's son) - 1/2
Sundance (Old West) - 1/2
Super-Ego (Bio-verse) - 1/2
Surtur - 2
Sylene - 1/2
Thena (Earth-982) - 1/2
Thor update - 1
Thunderstrike (Kevin Masterson) - 2
Trolls (Asgardian) - 3
Tyr - 2
Uroc - 1/2
Utgard-Loki - 1
Vidar - 1
Virako - 1
Volstagg - 2
Asgardian Appendix - 6

Nice. I won't be able to pick this up today but I did call my LCS and they have my copy saved. I can't wait to pick this up. This has a few people I've been dying to see covered.

Phoenixx9
Apr 27, 2011, 04:10 pm

Thanks for posting the entries/page numbers biugvis.

While I did not get an entry on everyone I asked for/Hoped for, there are still many favorites in here who did get a profile.

I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

Andy E. Nystrom
Apr 27, 2011, 05:06 pm

Looking good. Two nitpicks: I would have liked to have seen entries for Donald Blake and Geirrodur. The other thing, and this might be beyond the writers' control, is the worde "Handbook" really needs to be in the title somewhere. The lack opf the word caused confusion and my copy wasn't ordered, so I had to grab a copy from the store next door's general stock. So the absense of that word is definitely costing Marvel some orders.

To end things on a positive note though, I would never have guessed that there was an earlier Son of Satan.

Stuart V
Apr 27, 2011, 05:39 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

Current status is that Blake is/was a real person, prior to Odin merging him and Thor together. He got killed accidentally early on and replaced by a fake, but Thor going into the void at the end of Ragnarok had the side effect of resurrecting him.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Looking good. Two nitpicks: I would have liked to have seen entries for Donald Blake and Geirrodur. The other thing, and this might be beyond the writers' control, is the worde "Handbook" really needs to be in the title somewhere. The lack opf the word caused confusion and my copy wasn't ordered, so I had to grab a copy from the store next door's general stock. So the absense of that word is definitely costing Marvel some orders.

Sadly outwith our control.

Roger Ott
Apr 27, 2011, 06:21 pm

Stuart V wrote:

Sadly outwith our control.

Storm the offices, Thor-style!

William Keogh
Apr 27, 2011, 06:33 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

Storm the offices, Thor-style!

Hand out the battleaxes.

Eduardo M.
Apr 27, 2011, 07:07 pm

William Keogh wrote:

Hand out the battleaxes.

Can I switch mine for a spear? And can I ride in on a chariot?

Sidney Osinga
Apr 27, 2011, 08:17 pm

Eduardo M. wrote:

And can I ride in on a chariot?

Only if it's pulled by goats.

Eduardo M.
Apr 27, 2011, 08:55 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Only if it's pulled by goats.

that goes without saying.

And I have to burst into the offices yelling "I SAY THEE NEIGH!!!!!!" at the top of my lungs

bigvis497
Apr 27, 2011, 11:45 pm

Some notes/thoughts:

Kind of surprised we didn't get the other Warriors Three, but I understand since Volstagg has been doing some things on his own lately.

IIRC, Jane Foster has never received an entry in ANY handbook until now. Talk about long overdue!

Glad to see some of the Deluxe Edition/89 Update guys get covered, which I assumed many would. Those old handbooks were my first exposure to a lot of these characters, so it's cool to see what Malekith, Fafnir, etc have been up to since.

An entry on Trolls?? Seriously? This is the kind of off-the-wall craziness I love about these recent handbooks. Never in a million years did I think we would see an entry on all manner of these critters. The handbooks have really expanded beyond covering mostly characters/teams, oddball entries like this are proof. A little dissapointed no Ulik entry though. In due time!

This will hold me over nicely until the X-Men handbook!

Roger Ott
Apr 27, 2011, 11:48 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Some notes/thoughts:
IIRC, Jane Foster has never received an entry in ANY handbook until now. Talk about long overdue!

She got a 2-page entry in Update '89 #3 as Jane Foster-Kincaid.

bigvis497
Apr 27, 2011, 11:59 pm

Roger Ott wrote:

She got a 2-page entry in Update '89 #3 as Jane Foster-Kincaid.

-checks-

Guess she did! Well let's just say it's nice to get an update!

Andy E. Nystrom
Apr 28, 2011, 01:22 am

bigvis497 wrote:

An entry on Trolls?? Seriously? This is the kind of off-the-wall craziness I love about these recent handbooks. Never in a million years did I think we would see an entry on all manner of these critters.

I love the groupings of different types of beings as well. Still surprised there's not a general zombie entry yet. Given how popular they are you'd think that'd be a no-brainer (sorry).

Artie Leech
Apr 28, 2011, 11:17 am

Long time lurker to the site.
I finally had to sign up becuase this question has been bugging me all day since I bought the book yesterday.
Why no profile for Lorelei? Considering how large her role was in the Walt Simonson run it seems odd to me that she was omitted. Was there a reason she was skipped over other than a preference to include other entries instead?
Other than that the book looks great as always.

Django
Apr 28, 2011, 05:43 pm

Okay, gonna play a little "Oo! Oo! What about me?" game here. Just wondering. What did you think of the art, after all? This was one of my favorite books to do. Is there anything you'd like to see different in regards to any of the characters I draw?

I love the discussions here. You folks really know your stuff!

sucellos11
Apr 28, 2011, 05:58 pm

Great handbook all around! Love the entries about Bloodaxe, Fafnir, Frigga, Karnilla, Malekith, Mimir, Surtur and Tyr! Just sad that there's no Executioner or the long overdue and major foe Kurse! I guess we'll see them eventually...

Andy E. Nystrom
Apr 28, 2011, 06:32 pm

Django wrote:

Okay, gonna play a little "Oo! Oo! What about me?" game here. Just wondering. What did you think of the art, after all? This was one of my favorite books to do. Is there anything you'd like to see different in regards to any of the characters I draw?

For the most part I liked the art, especially Bloodaxe, Mimir, Tyr, Eitri. One that jumps out at me as one I'd have liked to have seen a bit different is Destroyer. It just didn't seem as dangerous as it should have. I tried to put my finger on why because the stance wasn't exactly welcoming. Part of the reason isn't your fault: grey is a muted colour, and looking at the old Handbooks, the extra covering in his 1980s look probably helped; the fact that its current look sports that many stripes doesn't do the robot any favours. But it also almost looks a bit like a spiked scuba suit rather than a robot's armour; maybe different shading?

One other suggestion: Surtur's face kind of has an "Oh, why me?" expression (his left arm also adds to that expression). Surtur is one of Marvel's most powerful demons so there should always be a level of confidence in his face, whether he's angry or gloating.

Again, I do like the art, but since you asked what could have been improved, those were things that spring to mind. And again, with the Destroyer I think that if it was still wearing the extra metal covering, you'd have been able to draw the same pose to better effect.

captainswift
Apr 28, 2011, 08:01 pm

Django wrote:

One thing I was impressed by was Son of Satan, which I didn't recognize as yours off the bat. You really managed to give it a nice Golden Age spin, and it really had the quality of the era of his stories. (I mean that in a good way; you captured the mood of the character, is what I'm saying.)

Django
Apr 29, 2011, 03:01 am

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I aim to please.

Stuart V
Apr 29, 2011, 11:28 am

Artie Leech wrote:

Why no profile for Lorelei? Considering how large her role was in the Walt Simonson run it seems odd to me that she was omitted. Was there a reason she was skipped over other than a preference to include other entries instead?

No reason other than the one you suggested. We have a lot of possible entries we could cover, and only so many pages per book. So we pick and choose, trying to get a mix of characters, big and small, heroes and villains and supporting cast, dimensions and alien species and events. And we try not to use up all the "big guns" in one go, because that would soon leave us with hundreds or thousands of interesting characters still needing coverage, but no "headliners."

sucellos11 wrote:

Great handbook all around! Love the entries about Bloodaxe, Fafnir, Frigga, Karnilla, Malekith, Mimir, Surtur and Tyr! Just sad that there's no Executioner or the long overdue and major foe Kurse! I guess we'll see them eventually...

Yes, we hope to get to them eventually. Thanks to Malekith's recent reappearance in Incredible Hercules, Kurse lost out to Malekith in this instance - another reason for Kurse to hate his former boss!

captainswift
Apr 29, 2011, 12:28 pm

I'm going to admit, I was disappointed by the lack of Hogun and Fandral, though I suppose, with Volstagg, that would be three two-page entries with largely the same History information.

Phoenixx9
Apr 29, 2011, 12:43 pm

Stuart V wrote:

No reason other than the one you suggested. We have a lot of possible entries we could cover, and only so many pages per book. So we pick and choose, trying to get a mix of characters, big and small, heroes and villains and supporting cast, dimensions and alien species and events. And we try not to use up all the "big guns" in one go, because that would soon leave us with hundreds or thousands of interesting characters still needing coverage, but no "headliners."

Your reasoning for non-inclusion of characters is exactly what I thought, Stuart. I know there are so many good characters and it must be somewhat challenging to pick and choose, especially if some made recent appearances. In addition to Executioner and Kurse, I know my favorites like Casiolena, Fragon, Ollerus and Ulik were also not forgotten, just passed over during this round. But thanks so very much for including the Enchanters! :excited:

Stuart V wrote:

Yes, we hope to get to them eventually. Thanks to Malekith's recent reappearance in Incredible Hercules, Kurse lost out to Malekith in this instance - another reason for Kurse to hate his former boss!

:# In this case, I guess you could say that Kurse is, er, cursing his former boss!!

Eduardo M.
Apr 29, 2011, 11:19 pm

Got my hands on this today.

Gus, good job on the art. Love the Mangog image. Thor had a nice main image as well. I do have to agree with Andy on his critiques though, Destroyer seemed a bit pudgy and Surter looked like he was pleading with his wife not to kick him out of the house. But other than that, excellent work. Can't wait to see what you do next.

As for the rest of the book, Nice selection of old and new stuff. i was hoping Thor's update would touch on what's been going on post-Siege and set up for Fear Itself. The appendix was a nice touch.

captainswift
Apr 30, 2011, 12:17 am

Eduardo M. wrote:

Surter looked like he was pleading with his wife not to kick him out of the house.

Beg to differ. Surtur is going for the high note at the end of Being Alive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8kYfPoHyos).

Eduardo M.
Apr 30, 2011, 12:27 pm

captainswift wrote:

Beg to differ. Surtur is going for the high note at the end of Being Alive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8kYfPoHyos).

for a minute there, I thought you were talking about "I'm Alive" from the movie Xanadu. Thank God it was something else.

Roger Ott
May 3, 2011, 07:48 pm

Just got this today and haven't had a chance to fully read it yet, but so far the entries look to span a massive collection of Asgardian lore.

At first glance, glad to see an entry for Bloodaxe, the new Thunderstrike, and Ahpuch.

Artwise, Gus has outdone himself yet again. Favorites on the art side so far are the Enchanters, Godstorm, Karnilla and Ahpuch.

Oh, and nice to see that someone repaired the Rainbow Bridge on the old Deluxe Edition art used for the Asgard profile!

William Keogh
May 5, 2011, 03:44 pm

Finished reading it, and my compliments to all involved. I particularly liked the profiles on Asgard, Thor, Destroyer, Surtur, Karnilla, Malekith, Artemis, Oversword, Volstagg, Mangog, Tyr, Bloodaxe, and Jane Foster.

Gus, well done on the art!

Rayeye
Aug 13, 2011, 04:04 pm

Finally got this one and I enjoyed this handbook a lot.

I discovered some trolls were missing in the Trolls profile:
- Jagrfelm
- Stellik (from Thor #34)
- Ulf the Ice Troll (from X-Men: First Class #5)

Rayeye
Aug 13, 2011, 06:08 pm

Also, my compliments to the nice and very detailed Asgardians appendix!

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I found a few Agardians missing though (who were neither in the Asgardians profole in OHOTMU A-Z vol. 14):
- Cagnar (Vanir, Thor #338)
- Rampok (Vanir, father of Rivvak)
- Gullin (Asgardian boar god, Journey into Mystery #103)
- Ragnar (New Mutants Special Edition #1)
- Solveig (sister-in-law of Thor)

Stuart V
Aug 15, 2011, 04:08 pm

Rayeye wrote:

Finally got this one and I enjoyed this handbook a lot.

I discovered some trolls were missing in the Trolls profile:
- Jagrfelm
- Stellik (from Thor #34)
- Ulf the Ice Troll (from X-Men: First Class #5)

Yes, Stellik was missed. Thanks for bringing him to our attention.

Jagrfelm is a Dark Elf, albeit a particularly ugly one, not a troll. He lived in Svartalfheim and Balder called him "an ugly little elf."

Ulf isn't confirmed as being in 616, per the ruling about First Class' uncertain status.

Rayeye wrote:

Also, my compliments to the nice and very detailed Asgardians appendix!

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I found a few Agardians missing though (who were neither in the Asgardians profole in OHOTMU A-Z vol. 14):
- Cagnar (Vanir, Thor #338)
- Rampok (Vanir, father of Rivvak)
- Gullin (Asgardian boar god, Journey into Mystery #103)
- Ragnar (New Mutants Special Edition #1)
- Solveig (sister-in-law of Thor)

We're checking on Cagnar, Rampok and Ragnar. Gullin was left out deliberately - we didn't include beings not clearly identified as descendants of Buri, so the animal gods, like Agnar the Eagle, the Boar God and Oddbrand Otter, were left off. Solveig was left out because she is a giantess, not a god.

Rayeye
Aug 15, 2011, 04:33 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Stuart! I assumed First Class was in-continuity, hopefully it will be soon clarified whether First Class took place in 616 or not.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera