Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2021 3:04 pm  #1

General speculative fiction trivia

Be it books, TV, comics, movies, etc. 

Pub crawl round - all questions in some way pertain to a fictional eating/drinking establishment.
1. If you are drinking in the Mended Drum, which city are you in?
2. If the bar person is Gordon or Jason Nines, which establishment are you drinking in? Bonus question - what kind of individuals/beings are not permitted on the premises?
3. If you are in the Slaughtered Lamb, what advice might the locals give you? Paraphrasing allowed - I don't need an exact quote.
4. Which nightclub did Indiana Jones visit in Temple of Doom?
5. Where would you get breakfast after doing six impossible things this morning?
6. Which adventurers might you run into at either the Silver Eel Tavern or Golden Lamprey?
7. The Doctor owns a restaurant and a bar - what are they called?
8. If you start your pub crawl in The First Post, where should you be planning on finishing it?
9. If the owner informs you "Just one more round friend, then homeward bound friend" where have you been drinking?
10. In which show might you drink in the Dal Riata?
11. What animal might be walking in the street outside the Brick Tavern?
12. What was the name of the alien who was always to be found in Quark's Bar on Deep Space Nine, never speaking on screen?
13. In which establishment do the patrons believe in the Law of Conservation of Pain?
14. What establishment is in Siberia near the Mount Forel spaceport?
15. Which establishment provides cheese to put in your ears, and why?
16. Who is the owner of Fangtasia?
17. What is the password to get into the Ink and Paint Club?
18. In what town is the Inn of the Last Home?
19. Apart from making excellent pies, what other unique talent does the owner of The Pie Hole have?
20. What might you be asked to do in Caritas?
21. In which city might you find the Vulgar Unicorn?
22. What is unusual about most of the patrons of the Railway Arms? Please note that if you know the answer to this one, you might want to put it in spoilers for the sake of those who don't.
23. Who/what destroyed the Winchester? Note that there is blame to go around, so I'll accept any of the parties involved as a correct answer.
24. Who was the bouncer at the Fortress, what did he use to enforce his threats, and why were the latter ineffective?
25. Who might be expected to be dancing on stage at Kadie's Club Pecos?

Bonus real world establishment question: What was the name of the Star Trek themed pub that used to be in the Westminster area of London?

3/16/2021 5:46 pm  #2

Re: General speculative fiction trivia

5. Millways? I know the line refers to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy but it's been a while since I read the books.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

3/16/2021 6:06 pm  #3

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

5. Millways? I know the line refers to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy but it's been a while since I read the books.

Close enough (missing an I) - Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

3/16/2021 6:30 pm  #4

1. Arkh-Morpork
12. Morn
15. Rene's?, and to hearing the awful singing of the owner's wife (from the show 'Allo, 'Allo)
25. Nancy Callahan

Here's a bonus question from me: which bar owner sent Megatron to read poetry at his rival's establishment?

3/17/2021 2:38 pm  #5

16. Eric Northman
20. Sing for the Host so he could read your future

3/17/2021 3:28 pm  #6

Sidney Osinga wrote:

1. Arkh-Morpork
12. Morn
15. Rene's?, and to hearing the awful singing of the owner's wife (from the show 'Allo, 'Allo)
25. Nancy Callahan

Correct on all of those, bar a slight spelling error for #1.
1. Ankh-Morpork, from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Originally the Broken Drum, and then after it was burned down (for the "inn-sewer-ants") rebuilt as the Mended Drum.
12. Morn, named for Norm in Cheers.
15. Cafe Rene, but close enough, and yes, the cheese was to put in your ears to block out the singing of Edith. 'Allo 'Allo was a sitcom set in WWII occupied France, which might be considered an unusual location choice until you realise it was inspired by/parodying the drama Secret Army; like that drama, 'Allo 'Allo was centred around the Resistance's activities against the occupying forces. 
25. Yes, Nancy Callahan from the Sin City stories.

3/17/2021 3:31 pm  #7

skippcomet wrote:

16. Eric Northman
20. Sing for the Host so he could read your future

Both correct. 
16 Eric Northman, the Viking vampire of True Blood and the books they are based on, the Southern Vampire mysteries. 
20 Yes, sing karaoke for Lorne the Host (the late, and very great, Andy Hallett), whose powers for telling the future only worked if you sang for him.

3/17/2021 3:33 pm  #8

That leaves the following still to go:
2. If the bar person is Gordon or Jason Nines, which establishment are you drinking in? Bonus question - what kind of individuals/beings are not permitted on the premises?
3. If you are in the Slaughtered Lamb, what advice might the locals give you? Paraphrasing allowed - I don't need an exact quote.
6. Which adventurers might you run into at either the Silver Eel Tavern or Golden Lamprey?
8. If you start your pub crawl in The First Post, where should you be planning on finishing it?
9. If the owner informs you "Just one more round friend, then homeward bound friend" where have you been drinking?
13. In which establishment do the patrons believe in the Law of Conservation of Pain?
19. Apart from making excellent pies, what other unique talent does the owner of The Pie Hole have?
22. What is unusual about most of the patrons of the Railway Arms? Please note that if you know the answer to this one, you might want to put it in spoilers for the sake of those who don't.
23. Who/what destroyed the Winchester? Note that there is blame to go around, so I'll accept any of the parties involved as a correct answer.
24. Who was the bouncer at the Fortress, what did he use to enforce his threats, and why were the latter ineffective?

Bonus real world establishment question: What was the name of the Star Trek themed pub that used to be in the Westminster area of London?

Plus Sidney's bonus question: which bar owner sent Megatron to read poetry at his rival's establishment?

3/20/2021 2:42 am  #9

Since it's been a few days since the last guess, a few hints to help narrow things down.

Loki wrote:

From an independent comic.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

Loki wrote:

The name is a homage to another movie Harrison Ford was in.

Loki wrote:

From a series of fantasy novels.

Loki wrote:

Both revealed in the Virgin Books New Adventures run.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

Loki wrote:

From a major SF franchise.

Loki wrote:

From a TV series

Loki wrote:

From another TV series.

Loki wrote:

From a series of books/short stories.

Loki wrote:

From a series of stories.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

Loki wrote:

From a fantasy book series, although there has been at least one animated movie adaptation.

Loki wrote:

From a TV series

Loki wrote:

From a book series

Loki wrote:

From two linked TV series.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

Loki wrote:

From a TV series.

Loki wrote:

Plus Sidney's bonus question: which bar owner sent Megatron to read poetry at his rival's establishment?

No real clue I can think to give for the first, and don't know the answer to the second so can't give a clue for it.

3/20/2021 4:56 pm  #10

11. a polar bear? (Northern Exposure? just guessing)

Loki wrote:

from a IDW Transformers comic

3/21/2021 1:01 am  #11

Sidney Osinga wrote:

11. a polar bear? (Northern Exposure? just guessing)

Loki wrote:

from a IDW Transformers comic

The wrong animal, but...

3/21/2021 6:33 am  #12

2. Munden's Bar, Grimjack? I've never read the series but I know it's one of the better known comic book bars.

3/21/2021 6:58 am  #13

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

2. Munden's Bar, Grimjack? I've never read the series but I know it's one of the better known comic book bars.

That's correct. Still the bonus part of the question to go.

3/26/2021 1:48 pm  #14

Some more clues. If no one manages to get any more after that, I'll give it a couple of days and then provide the answers.

Loki wrote:

Comic correctly identified as Grimjack, but the question about who/what aren't permitted inside remains.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

Horror movie from the 1980s, set in Britain, mostly in a single city (though the Slaughtered Lamb is not in that city).

Loki wrote:

Think Star Wars.

Loki wrote:

An older fantasy series from one of the masters of the genre. The characters are way better known than the drinking establishments, and have had comics published by both Marvel and DC.

Loki wrote:

Both revealed in the Virgin Books New Adventures run.

Fifth Doctor and Seventh Doctor respectively, and the bar was a speakeasy.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

The movie is from this century, not the last. If you figure out the final pub, you'll also know the title of the movie.

Loki wrote:

From a major SF franchise.

From a major SF franchise, but is the owner canon? 

Loki wrote:

From a TV series

2000s urban fantasy TV.

Loki wrote:

From another TV series.

Sidney guesses this was from Northern Exposure. He's right, but got the wrong animal.

Loki wrote:

Began being published in the 1970s. The writer has an unusual first name.

Loki wrote:

Writer was one of the biggest names in SF during the 70s and 80s. The stories were spread across many anthologies, but eventually mostly collected in a single anthology, the title also being the name of the drinking establishment.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

The staff of the club aren't bad, they're just drawn that way.

Loki wrote:

From a fantasy book series, although there has been at least one animated movie adaptation.

The novels were based on a tabletop rpg.

Loki wrote:

From a TV series

From the 2000s, a particularly kooky show with a whimsical worldview.

Loki wrote:

From a book series

A shared world anthology book series.

Loki wrote:

22. What is unusual about most of the patrons of the Railway Arms? Please note that if you know the answer to this one, you might want to put it in spoilers for the sake of those who don't. From two linked TV series.

British TV shows that started in the 2000s, on the surface crime dramas but with an underlying fantastical element from the start.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

A British horror movie from the 2000s. 

Loki wrote:

From a TV series.

A superhero TV series.

Loki wrote:

Still no real clue I can easily give for this one.

Loki wrote:

From an IDW comic.

3/26/2021 3:36 pm  #15

9. The Star Wars Cantina (don't know the exact name). The cantina owner was played by Beatrice Arthur. Star Wars Holiday Special

19. I should have remembered this sooner as it's one of my favourite shows: Bringing lifeforms back from the dead, with the limitation that if he touched them a second time they were gone for good; also if he didn't touch them again within a minute, someone else took their place (Pushing Daisies). If there was a replacement death, it was in the general vicinity and of a similar type. So if, say, he brought back a strawberry to make it fresh, a blueberry in the area might be in danger but a person would probably be okay. The first season did well in the ratings but it was cut short by the writer's strike. When the show returned next season the ratings were no longer there.

3/26/2021 4:55 pm  #16

11. a moose

3/27/2021 12:07 am  #17

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

9. The Star Wars Cantina (don't know the exact name). The cantina owner was played by Beatrice Arthur. Star Wars Holiday Special

19. I should have remembered this sooner as it's one of my favourite shows: Bringing lifeforms back from the dead, with the limitation that if he touched them a second time they were gone for good; also if he didn't touch them again within a minute, someone else took their place (Pushing Daisies). If there was a replacement death, it was in the general vicinity and of a similar type. So if, say, he brought back a strawberry to make it fresh, a blueberry in the area might be in danger but a person would probably be okay. The first season did well in the ratings but it was cut short by the writer's strike. When the show returned next season the ratings were no longer there.

Both of those are correct.

3/27/2021 12:08 am  #18

Sidney Osinga wrote:

11. a moose

Correct. Set in Alaska, the opening titles of Northern Exposure saw a moose wandering the streets.

3/30/2021 7:45 am  #19

Time for the answers to those left unclaimed:

Loki wrote:

Comic correctly identified as Grimjack, but the question about who/what aren't permitted inside remains.

Tourbots are not permitted. Because of the often dangerous nature of parts of Cynosure, people can go round the city experiencing it in VR with small robots doing the actual physical travelling. These remote-controlled Tourbots are not welcome in Munden's Bar.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

Horror movie from the 1980s, set in Britain, mostly in a single city (though the Slaughtered Lamb is not in that city).

"Stay off the moors! Stick to the road!" From American Werewolf in London, sound advice considering there was a werewolf stalking the moors. Naturally the two American tourists ignored it.

Loki wrote:

Think Star Wars.

Club Obi Wan.

Loki wrote:

An older fantasy series from one of the masters of the genre. The characters are way better known than the drinking establishments, and have had comics published by both Marvel and DC.

Both of these two drinking establishments are in the city of Lankhmar in the world of Nehwon, in Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories.

Loki wrote:

Both revealed in the Virgin Books New Adventures run. Fifth Doctor and Seventh Doctor respectively, and the bar was a speakeasy.

The fifth Doctor owned the Tempus Fugit on the ice planet Pella Satyurnis. In the novel The Crystal Bucephalus, he'd been visiting a trans-temporal restaurant which made itself famous by phasing into synch with top restaurants across all of time and space. He'd been dumped from this restaurant onto Pella Satyrnis. With his TARDIS back at the original restaurant, he founds his own restaurant on Pella Satyrnis and spends five years making it universally renounced, and eventually, as he planned, the other restaurant links to his one.

The seventh Doctor owned a speakeasy called Doc's Place in 1929 Chicago in the novel Blood Harvest.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

The movie is from this century, not the last. If you figure out the final pub, you'll also know the title of the movie.

The First Post is the start of the pub crawl in Edgar Wright's The World's End - the movie's title is both the film's outcome and the name of the last pub.

Loki wrote:

From a TV series

2000s urban fantasy TV.

It's the Fey bar in Lost Girl.

Loki wrote:

Began being published in the 1970s. The writer has an unusual first name.

Callahan's Saloon, also known as Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, from Spider Robinson's stories. The patrons believe: "Just as there are Laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy, so there are in fact Laws of Conservation of Pain and Joy. Neither can ever be created or destroyed. But one can be converted into the other."
or, alternatively: "Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy."

Loki wrote:

Writer was one of the biggest names in SF during the 70s and 80s. The stories were spread across many anthologies, but eventually mostly collected in a single anthology, the title also being the name of the drinking establishment.

Draco's Tavern, in the stories by Larry Niven.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

The staff of the club aren't bad, they're just drawn that way.

"Walt sent me." It's the nightclub where Jessica Rabbit works in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Loki wrote:

The novels were based on a tabletop rpg.

The town is Solace, and both it and the inn are from the Dragonlance novels.

Loki wrote:

From a book series

A shared world anthology book series.

The city of Sanctuary, in the Thieves' World books.

Loki wrote:

22. What is unusual about most of the patrons of the Railway Arms? Please note that if you know the answer to this one, you might want to put it in spoilers for the sake of those who don't. From two linked TV series.
British TV shows that started in the 2000s, on the surface crime dramas but with an underlying fantastical element from the start.

[spoil]The patrons are dead police officers unknowingly residing in limbo, before moving on to either heaven or hell.[/spoil] From the British TV series Life on Mars and its sequel Ashes to Ashes.

Loki wrote:

From a movie.

A British horror movie from the 2000s. 

Zombies, with some help from Shaun and his friends in Shaun of the Dead.

Loki wrote:

From a TV series.

A superhero TV series.

The superhero Thundermonkey, who could summon and command monkeys to fight for him. However, this threat held little weight with most people, as the monkeys didn't just appear; they had to travel from where they were kept by mundane means, meaning it would take them over 2 and half hours to get to the pub. 

Loki wrote:

Page's Bar. Sadly it was shut down in the 2000s, and the building it was in has since been demolished.

3/30/2021 10:20 am  #20

For my question, it was Swerve, in the Transformers:More Than Meets the Eye comic. He sent Megatron, who was a frustrated poet before starting the Decepticons in this continuity, to "Visages", the bar started by Mirage on the Lost Light.

7/15/2021 10:17 am  #21

Location, location, location. Answers may come from comics, books, movies, TV shows, and more!

1. What world was invaded by the mountain-shaped spaceship known as the Black Fortress?
2. What magical realm is the same general geographic shape as Florida?
3. On which world might you encounter Ged, a.k.a. Sparrowhawk?
4. What fantasy world is home to the Empire of the Petal Throne?
5. If you cross the multiverse to the one true world you might be able to walk the Pattern. But what is the name of that one true world?
6. What planet are Crashlanders residents of?
7. Where are you if your neighbor keeps shouting "Yngvi is a louse!" every hour? I'll accept the general world, though bonus points if you can narrow it down.
8. Kelewan invaded what other world?
9. The floating island of Klarn was part of what larger realm?
10. What's another name for the planet Malacandra?
11. On what alien world might you visit the Leisure Hive?
12. In Sandman, where did Death and Destruction last see one another before Destruction quit?
13. On which world did a human archaeological dig uncover the Shadows?
14. On which planet might you meet Robby the Robot?
15. Where did around 36 billion humans from across history all suddenly wake up simultaneously resurrected?

7/18/2021 11:01 pm  #22

1. Krull?
13. Mars

7/18/2021 11:26 pm  #23

1 Yes. Krull. Though at a first glance it looks like a fantasy film, the main villain's background is pure SF.
13. Might be the case, but if so not the world I was thinking of (or there's more than one fictional universe with creatures called Shadows, which seems reasonable, given their generic name). I'm thinking of the world where the Shadows, an ancient race of great malevolence, were apparently native to.

7/30/2021 5:55 am  #24

I don't have any guesses of my own, but instead of only comics, here are my own general questions:

1. Which deity is Remo Williams connected to?
2. What are the real and code names for the Wild Cards villain who's into politics?
3. Who is the main character in the Space Quest games?
4. In the first three Police Quest games, what is the real and nicknames for the hero's love interest?
5. In the Parker Brothers Spider-Man game for the Atari 2600, what is the Green Goblin's "strategy" for preventing Spider-Man from reaching the main bomb in each building?
6. What gimmick is used to tell the story of Dracula in the original novel
7. Who is the Girl of 1,000 Gimmicks?
8. According to the Arrrowverse, what Earth does the Stargirl series take place?
9. What movie was the main focus of the final pre-Netflix episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000?
10. This fictional talk show's title refers to an Abba sing.
11., What was the first appearance of any incarnation of Steve Austin (the character, not the wrestler)?
12. What city did Slim Goodbody  live in and where was his exact base?
13. What was the original title of More Fun Comics?
14. When the Devil visited Georgia, what was his challenge?
15. What is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything?
16. Which goddess punished someone for happening upon her when she was bathing?
17. In the Splash Mountain ride, people were warned they were headed to what location?
18. What Spinal Tap song told the story of someone leaving and then returning home?

7/30/2021 6:40 am  #25

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

1. Which deity is Remo Williams connected to?
11. What was the first appearance of any incarnation of Steve Austin (the character, not the wrestler)?
15. What is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything?
16. Which goddess punished someone for happening upon her when she was bathing?

1. Kali?
11. Cyborg novel
15. 42
16. Artemis/Diana

7/30/2021 6:49 am  #26

1 is incorrect, though Kali is sometimes an antagonist. The rest are correct.

7/30/2021 7:21 am  #27

1 Shiva
2 Puppet Man, Gregg Hartmann
6 It's all excerpts from people's journals, letters and diaries (including Seward's phonograph recordings).
7 Merry
14 Beat him at a fiddle-playing contest

7/30/2021 7:28 am  #28

Clues:

Loki wrote:

Location, location, location. Answers may come from comics, books, movies, TV shows, and more!

2. What magical realm is the same general geographic shape as Florida?

From a very long-running series of fantasy novels.

Loki wrote:

3. On which world might you encounter Ged, a.k.a. Sparrowhawk?

From a short but very acclaimed series of fantasy novels (and one very bad SF Channel mini-series adaptation).

Loki wrote:

4. What fantasy world is home to the Empire of the Petal Throne?

From tabletop rpg.

Loki wrote:

5. If you cross the multiverse to the one true world you might be able to walk the Pattern. But what is the name of that one true world?

Loki wrote:

6. What planet are Crashlanders residents of?

From a series of SF stories, though only one novel in the series is set there iirc.

Loki wrote:

7. Where are you if your neighbor keeps shouting "Yngvi is a louse!" every hour? I'll accept the general world, though bonus points if you can narrow it down.

From an older set of fantasy stories.

Loki wrote:

8. Kelewan invaded what other world?

From a series of fantasy novels, the first one being most focused on said invasion. 

Loki wrote:

9. The floating island of Klarn was part of what larger realm?

From comics.

Loki wrote:

10. What's another name for the planet Malacandra?

From a set of acclaimed SF novels, though the writer in question is more widely remembered for his fantasy series.

Loki wrote:

11. On what alien world might you visit the Leisure Hive?

From a long running TV series, though the location mentioned only features in a tiny portion of said show.

Loki wrote:

12. In Sandman, where did Death and Destruction last see one another before Destruction quit?

You already know this is DC. Just think back to a famous DC location that had a lot of imminent/sudden death and destruction.

Loki wrote:

13. On which world did a human archaeological dig uncover the Shadows?

From a SF tv series.

Loki wrote:

14. On which planet might you meet Robby the Robot?

From a movie.

Loki wrote:

15. Where did around 36 billion humans from across history all suddenly wake up simultaneously resurrected?

From a SF book series.

7/30/2021 9:50 am  #29

12. Coast City?
14. Forbidden Planet?

Loki's answers to my questions are correct.

7/30/2021 12:09 pm  #30

No to 12 - think bigger than a city. 

14 - right movie, but that's not the name of the planet. Though for a bonus point, what is the movie an adaptation of?

Board footera