Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2020 12:55 pm  #1

X-Men: Earth's Mutant Heroes

Historical text from Comixfan:

Rob London
Feb 15, 2011, 02:37 pm

Coming from Marvel in May...

X-MEN: EARTH’S MUTANT HEROES #1
Written by VARIOUS
Select Character Artwork by GUS VAZQUEZ
Cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSZKY

All things mutants take center stage in this all-new collection of Handbook-style profiles! Featuring X-Men members (Madison Jeffries/Box, Paulie Provenzano, Wraith/Hector Rendoza), trainees (Onyxx, Ink/Eric Gitter), allies (Fred Duncan, Tom Corsi, Candy Southern, Shortpack), the evil (Cortex, X-Cutioner, Amelia Voght, Zaladane, Black Womb) and the lesser-known (Litterbug, Jazz, Arize, Jack in the Box, Crule), and updates for the big guns (Professor X, Magneto, Emma Frost, Beast, Mystique). And because you demanded it: Joseph gets a profile at last! Plus: brand-new GUS VAZQUEZ art for the majority of profiles!

64 PGS./Handbook/Rated T+ …$4.99

Phoenixx9
Feb 15, 2011, 03:03 pm

WOW!! :stars:

This is great news. It seems my prediction of 01/03/11 came true! Thanks for the post MinorIrritant!

This covers so many of the favorites on my list: Wraith, Fred Duncan, Tom Corsi, Candy, Shortpak, Zaladane, Black Womb and Litterbug!

Of course, I am sure many others not mentioned may get scratched off my list, as well as the elusive profile on Joseph.

Updates on the big guns--too good to be true! I wonder if it will mention anything about Xavier's repowering from the M'Krann Crystal and the rumors he is more powerful now than ever before?

This book is just drippin' wit Handbooky Gooey Goodness! :yum:

bigvis497
Feb 15, 2011, 03:12 pm

Looks like another winner! On the cover I can see Bamphs, Joseph, Magneto, Onyxx, Madison Jeffries, Professor X, Mystique, Bird-Brain, Beast, Ink, Tom Corsi, Emma Frost, Kavita Rao.

Eduardo M.
Feb 15, 2011, 03:24 pm

bigvis497 wrote:

Looks like another winner! On the cover I can see Bamphs, Joseph, Magneto, Onyxx, Madison Jeffries, Professor X, Mystique, Bird-Brain, Beast, Ink, Tom Corsi, Emma Frost, Kavita Rao.

tom Corsi must be wondering how he made it to a cover spot.

Once again the amount of updates surprise me. Professor X, Magneto, Emma Frost, Mystique, Beast, and Madison Jefferies. Hopefully they won't be too long in page count.

but man, I see some of my list is getting hacked at as well. I wonder if Artie Maddicks will get an entry in this to go with Leech's entry in A-Z Update #5?

JusticeGH
Feb 15, 2011, 11:19 pm

I kept reading and reading and reading that solicit and each little parenthesis didn't have Joseph's name in it and I thought "Oh my God...if they really do another entire X-Men handbook without Joseph, the people on the board are going to go ballistic!"

Then I got to the last line and cracked up.

captainswift
Feb 16, 2011, 12:08 am

Eduardo M. wrote:

Once again the amount of updates surprise me. Professor X, Magneto, Emma Frost, Mystique, Beast, and Madison Jefferies. Hopefully they won't be too long in page count.

Yeah, I'd rather have more new entries, too, but there's gotta be some A-listers in it to sell the book to people besides us board regulars.

Still and all, 64 pages is room for plenty of new crunchy bits to gnaw on.

Eduardo M.
Feb 16, 2011, 12:19 am

JusticeGH wrote:

I kept reading and reading and reading that solicit and each little parenthesis didn't have Joseph's name in it and I thought "Oh my God...if they really do another entire X-Men handbook without Joseph, the people on the board are going to go ballistic!"

Then I got to the last line and cracked up.

I have this image in my head of the Handbook guys sitting at a table and some editor going "Guys, we'll need to make some cuts. Maybe we should skip Joseph this time."

OHOTMU Guys: "Dear God, do you have ANY idea what the guys on the message board will do to us if we leave Joseph out again?! For the love of all that good and holy, LEAVE JOSEPH IN!!! PLEASE, WE WANT TO LIVE!!!"

Editor guy: "Fine. We'll just leave that new and improved Cyclops entry for next time. geez."

William Keogh
Feb 16, 2011, 11:28 am

Come on, writers... be bold. Be daring. Be audacious. Yes, skip the Joseph entry in favour of an updated Emma Frost entry.

GoldenGirlDizzy
Feb 16, 2011, 11:31 am

William Keogh wrote:

Come on, writers... be bold. Be daring. Be audacious. Yes, skip the Joseph entry in favour of an updated Emma Frost entry.  

WOLVERINE!!

No, seriously, the guy does five hundred things a month, he needs an update.

I keed

William Keogh
Feb 16, 2011, 11:40 am

Contrary to rumors and solicits, the X-Men handbook will contain only four entries this time out: massive new entries for Emma, Scott, Wolverine, and Pixie.

PaxHouse
Feb 16, 2011, 11:48 am

William Keogh wrote:

Contrary to rumors and solicits, the X-Men handbook will contain only four entries this time out: massive new entries for Emma, Scott, Wolverine, and Pixie.  

.......Well, at least with Pixie, she deserves an "update".... ;)

PS...... Zaladane..?!? :wt: Isn't she....you know..... :grave:..?!?

ToddCam
Feb 16, 2011, 12:51 pm

Dead characters get entries all the time. Also, dead characters become alive again all the time.

Rayeye
Feb 16, 2011, 03:49 pm

I am really excited about this handbook! Finally characters like Shortpack, Tom Corsi, X-Cutioner and Joseph get their own profiles!
I am hoping Artie Maddicks, Alysande Stuart, Haven, Stevie Hunter, Charlotte Jones, Neo, Hell's Belles, Adrienne Frost and the X-Corporation will be covered as well!

William Keogh
Feb 16, 2011, 06:59 pm

I'd like to see a profile for Dust.

Roger Ott
Feb 16, 2011, 08:01 pm

I'm assuming this will be coming out just in time for the X-Men: First Class movie.

Based on this and the Thor Handbook, one can extrapolate that a Captain America-themed HB should be forthcoming around the time of his big screen bow.

bigvis497
Feb 16, 2011, 10:46 pm
I'd like to see a profile for Dust.
She's got one. New X-Men Academy X Yearbook, carried over to Hardcover Volume 3.

Rob London
Feb 17, 2011, 04:51 pm

Rayeye wrote:

I am really excited about this handbook! Finally characters like Shortpack, Tom Corsi, X-Cutioner and Joseph get their own profiles!
I am hoping Artie Maddicks, Alysande Stuart, Haven, Stevie Hunter, Charlotte Jones, Neo, Hell's Belles, Adrienne Frost and the X-Corporation will be covered as well!

Why, someone from that list might just be in the book.

(Don't tempt us, Keogh.)

ultrabasurero
Feb 17, 2011, 07:58 pm

"Collecting X-MEN LEGACY #238-241 – plus Handbook entries for Anole, the Children of the Vault, Indra, Loa, Magneto and Rogue." - From X-Men Legacy: Collision trade that should be out this month.

Hopefully Children of the Vault, Indra, and Loa get profiles in this handbook instead of being stuck forever in that X-Men Legacy trade.

DeadpoolRP
Feb 17, 2011, 08:06 pm

ultrabasurero wrote:

"Collecting X-MEN LEGACY #238-241 – plus Handbook entries for Anole, the Children of the Vault, Indra, Loa, Magneto and Rogue." - From X-Men Legacy: Collision trade that should be out this month.

Hopefully Children of the Vault, Indra, and Loa get profiles in this handbook instead of being stuck forever in that X-Men Legacy trade.

I agree!

Sidney Osinga
Feb 20, 2011, 06:58 pm

Looks interesting. I assume that the updates (Prof. X, Magneto, etc.) will be one page entries like we've seen in the Avengers Assembled and Iron Manual Mk.3 last year. Still, I think that's it's odd that Madison Jeffries is getting an entry, seeing as he already got one. I don't read X-Books much, but I assume that nothing very significant has happened with him since then.

Eduardo M.
Feb 20, 2011, 08:17 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Still, I think that's it's odd that Madison Jeffries is getting an entry, seeing as he already got one. I don't read X-Books much, but I assume that nothing very significant has happened with him since then.

I know that since the last entry he joined the X-Club and lost his wife during one of the big X-events. He's probably done some other notable stuff with the X-Club

Dr. Noh
Feb 23, 2011, 05:47 pm

Rest In Peace, Mr. Dwayne McDuffie. You will be missed.

This OHOTMU is excellent news. The cover is awesome, and I look forward to reading it.

DeadpoolRP
May 24, 2011, 11:02 pm

Ugh. This book was one of the twenty plus items missing from my comics shop's shipment this week. Man, does Diamond suck! The one book I wanted to check out early, and they messed up (as usual) and didn't send any of the copies the store ordered! And since Diamond shut down their West Coast warehouse, the shop won't get replacement copies for TWO WEEKS. If any other distributor had such horrible shipping times (and such horrible shipments), they'd be run out of town. Don't you just love monopolies?

Okay, I'll stop complaining. For now. I really hope someone will post info about this book ASAP, though. I really wanted to see what X-Men membership updates were included . . .

William Keogh
May 25, 2011, 01:44 pm

Well, I don't know if it's a mass problem, but I've got this one. The contents seem to all be there, but it's a lot out of order. Instead of alphabetical order, profiles are all over the place in the editions that were in my LCS.

The contents, in the order in my issue:

Madison Jeffries
Joseph
Kukulcan
Lords of Light and Darkness
Magneto
Mister Jip
Moon Boy
Black Womb
Chance
Tom Corsi
Cortex
Crimson Dawn
Devil/Fire Flyte
Fred Duncan
Emma Frost
Grizzly
Halloween Jack
Harvester
Ink
Albion
Arize
BAMFS
Eli Bard
Beast
Bird Brain
X-Cutioner
Zaladane
Edward Buckman
Tatiana Caban
Crule
Sharon Ginsberg
Jack in the Box
Jazz
Litterbug
Onyxx
Poltergeist
Paulie Provenzo
Red Lotus
Rhapsody
Saturnine
Shinobi Shaw
Shortpack
Candy Southern
Sunstroke
Tongah
Utopia
Valkyrior
Amelia Voght
Warpies
Wicked
Mountjoy
Mystique
Neo
Professor X
Kavita Rao
Ravens
Wraith
Xraven

And the Madison profile actually starts in the middle of the issue, with the last page of the profile on the first page of the book. Yes, it's confusing.

Eduardo M.
May 25, 2011, 01:53 pm

William Keogh wrote:

Well, I don't know if it's a mass problem, but I've got this one. The contents seem to all be there, but it's a lot out of order. Instead of alphabetical order, profiles are all over the place in the editions that were in my LCS.

The contents, in the order in my issue:

Madison Jeffries
Joseph
Kukulcan
Magneto
Mister Jip
Moon Boy
Black Womb
Chance
Tom Corsi
Cortex
Crimson Dawn
Devil/Fire Flyte
Fred Duncan
Emma Frost
Grizzly
Halloween Jack
Harvester
Ink
Albion
Arize
BAMFS
Eli Bard
Beast
Bird Brain
X-Cutioner
Zaladane
Edward Buckman
Tatiana Caban
Crule
Sharon Ginsberg
Jack in the Box
Jazz
Litterbug
Onyxx
Poltergeist
Paulie Provenzo
Red Lotus
Rhapsody
Saturnine
Shinobi Shaw
Shortpack
Candy Southern
Sunstroke
Tongah
Utopia
Valkyrior
Amelia Voght
Warpies
Wicked
Mountjoy
Mystique
Neo
Professor X
Kavita Rao
Ravens
Wraith
Xraven

And the Madison profile actually starts in the middle of the issue, with the last page of the profile on the first page of the book. Yes, it's confusing.

very curious.

On the good news front, I just got off the phone with my LCS and they're holding a copy for me. Despite what William is saying about the content being messed up I'm looking forward to reading this. Alot of people I've been waiting for get covered and I see several people from older handbooks getting new profiles.

Sidney Osinga
May 25, 2011, 02:15 pm

William Keogh wrote:

Yeah, the two copies that my LCBS order were the same way. When I first open the book and saw the untitled Madison Jefferies page, I was confused. Looks like a major printing problem.

bigvis497
May 25, 2011, 02:23 pm

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Yeah, the two copies that my LCBS order were the same way. When I first open the book and saw the untitled Madison Jefferies page, I was confused. Looks like a major printing problem.

Yikes! Everything's in order in my copy, didn't check any others on the shelf to see if they had the same problem.

Angelicknight
May 25, 2011, 02:46 pm

I picked it up and the contents in mine is in order.

Rayeye
May 25, 2011, 04:11 pm

The list looks great! I can't wait to get this handbook!

Nice to see Halloween Jack, the Ravens, the Neo, Grizzly and the Crimson Dawn made it.

But what's the 2099 entry exactly? I mean, Earth-928/2099 A.D. has already been covered, so is this a different reality?

slevin87
May 25, 2011, 04:18 pm

Rayeye wrote:

But what's the 2099 entry exactly? I mean, Earth-928/2099 A.D. has already been covered, so is this a different reality?

The reality seen in the Timestorm miniseries.

FWIW, all the entries are in proper order in my copy as well.

Rayeye
May 25, 2011, 04:38 pm
The reality seen in the Timestorm miniseries.
Thanks.

I am a little surprised Stevie Hunter and Charlotte Jones didn't made it to the handbook. I think they are more typical X-Men characters than Devil & Fireflyte or Mister Jip, but I can understand why some of these characters were included. Anyway, the list is still very nice!

Andy E. Nystrom
May 26, 2011, 12:32 am

My copy is not only mixed up but but some pages repeated and some pages missing

Here's the order in mine (pages only mentioned if incomplete section at that point):
Madison Jeffries (final page)
Joseph
Kukulcan
Magneto update
Mister Jip
Moon-Boy first page
Black Womb
Chance
Tom Corsi
Cortex
Crimson Dawn
Devil/Fireflyte
Fred Duncan
Emma Frost update
Grizzly
Halloween Jack
Harvester
Ink
Madison Jeffries
Joseph
Kukulcan
Magneto update
Mister Jip
Moon-Boy
Moutjoy
Mystique update
Neo
Professor X update
Kavita Rao
Ravens
Saturnine
Shinobi Shaw
Shortpack
Candy Southern
Sunstroke
Tongah
Utopia
Valkyrior
Amelia Voght
Warpies
Wicked
Moon-Boy second page
Moutjoy
Mystique update
Neo
Professor X update
Kavita Rao
Ravens
Wraith
Xraven

No 2099, Albion, Arize, Bamfs, Eli Bard, Beast update, Bird-Brain, Edward Buckman, Tatiana Caban, Crule, Sharon Ginsberg, Jack in the Box, Jazz, Litterbug, Onyxx, Poltergiest, Paulie Provenzano, Red Lotus, Rhapsody, X-Cutioner, Zaladane.

I checked another copy at the store I bought it from and the insides looked the same. So what can be done for people in my boat? I'm not worried about the order being mixed up, but that's *way* too many missing entries.

captainswift
May 26, 2011, 12:43 am

My copy's fine. That kinda sucks that so many were messed up.

Stuart V
May 26, 2011, 07:16 am

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

My copy is not only mixed up but but some pages repeated and some pages missing

Here's the order in mine (pages only mentioned if incomplete section at that point):
Madison Jeffries (final page)
Joseph
Kukulcan
Magneto update
Mister Jip
Moon-Boy first page
Black Womb
Chance
Tom Corsi
Cortex
Crimson Dawn
Devil/Fireflyte
Fred Duncan
Emma Frost update
Grizzly
Halloween Jack
Harvester
Ink
Madison Jeffries
Joseph
Kukulcan
Magneto update
Mister Jip
Moon-Boy
Moutjoy
Mystique update
Neo
Professor X update
Kavita Rao
Ravens
Saturnine
Shinobi Shaw
Shortpack
Candy Southern
Sunstroke
Tongah
Utopia
Valkyrior
Amelia Voght
Warpies
Wicked
Moon-Boy second page
Moutjoy
Mystique update
Neo
Professor X update
Kavita Rao
Ravens
Wraith
Xraven

No 2099, Albion, Arize, Bamfs, Eli Bard, Beast update, Bird-Brain, Edward Buckman, Tatiana Caban, Crule, Sharon Ginsberg, Jack in the Box, Jazz, Litterbug, Onyxx, Poltergiest, Paulie Provenzano, Red Lotus, Rhapsody, X-Cutioner, Zaladane.

I checked another copy at the store I bought it from and the insides looked the same. So what can be done for people in my boat? I'm not worried about the order being mixed up, but that's *way* too many missing entries.

I'd point it out to the retailer, because this appears to be a screw-up by the printer on part of the run. If the retailer contacts the supplier (presumably Diamond) and tells them he wants his money back/replacement copies, then maybe something can be done about it.

Stuart V
May 26, 2011, 09:59 am

We've alerted editorial, who have said that people should return the bad copies to the stores.

William Keogh
May 26, 2011, 12:03 pm

I'll ask my store. I haven't gone through the whole thing yet, just some of the profiles, and while there's a fair amount of mix up in terms of the order of printing, there are only two profiles that are broken up, if you will. The Madison profile finishes its third page on the first page of my printing, and the Moon Boy profile was seperated into two places. As long as I've got everything, I don't mind the shift in order.

Andy E. Nystrom
May 26, 2011, 12:16 pm

William Keogh wrote:

I'll ask my store. I haven't gone through the whole thing yet, just some of the profiles, and while there's a fair amount of mix up in terms of the order of printing, there are only two profiles that are broken up, if you will. The Madison profile finishes its third page on the first page of my printing, and the Moon Boy profile was seperated into two places. As long as I've got everything, I don't mind the shift in order.

That's how I'd have felt if that was the same for my copy. I might keep my copy anyway because it's so bizarre it's a bit fascinating to flip through, but obviously I'll need to hunt down another copy with the missing entries as well.

DeadpoolRP
May 26, 2011, 12:20 pm

Stuart V wrote:

We've alerted editorial, who have said that people should return the bad copies to the stores.

Just make sure you report it to your retailer (and have them report it to Diamond) ASAP, because depending on how hard-nosed Diamond is going to be about it, it's probably already too late. They only give retailers 24 hours to report damaged/missing/misprinted material, and most retailers probably got their shipments this week on Tuesday. But don't let that dissuade you from reporting the problems; I'm just giving you a heads up that they might make it difficult (unless Marvel actually requests that they accept the affected copies, maybe?).

ToddCam
May 26, 2011, 02:01 pm

I found an omission. The Shinobi Shaw entry makes no mention of his return during Necrosha.

ultrabasurero
May 26, 2011, 03:23 pm

Shucks. I don't get my copy until my order comes in next weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my copy is not messed up.

Would anyone be kind enough to put up page counts?

slevin87
May 26, 2011, 03:53 pm
Would anyone be kind enough to put up page counts?
No problema.

2099 AD (Timestorm; 2)
Albion (Bardic; 1)
Arize (1)
Bamfs (1)
Eli Bard (1)
Beast (McCoy) update (1)
Bird-Brain (1)
Black Womb (1)
Edward Buckman (1/2)
Tatiana Caban (1/2)
Chance (Fallen Angels; 1)
Tom Corsi (1)
Cortex (1)
Crimson Dawn (2)
Crule (1/2)
Devil/Fireflyte (Microverse; 1)
Fred Duncan (1)
Emma Frost update (1)
Sharon Ginsberg (1/2)
Grizzly (Winchester; 1)
Halloween Jack (Earth-928's 2099 AD; 2)
Harvester (energy farmer; 1)
Ink (Gitter; 1)
Jack in the Box (1/2)
Jazz (1/2)
Madison Jeffries (3)
Joseph (Magneto clone; 2)
Kukulcan (1)
Litterbug (1/2)
Lords of Light and Darkness (1)
Magneto (Eisenhardt) update (1)
Mister Jip (1)
Moon-Boy (Dinosaur World; 2)
Mountjoy (1)
Mystique (Darkholme) update (1)
Neo (2)
Onyxx (1/2)
Poltergeist (1/2)
Professor X (Xavier) update (1)
Paulie Provenzano (1/2)
Kavita Rao (1)
Ravens (1)
Red Lotus (1/2)
Rhapsody (1/2)
Saturnine (demon; 1)
Shinobi Shaw (1)
Shortpack (1)
Candy Southern (2)
Sunstroke (1)
Tongah (1)
Utopia (mutant island; 2)
Valkyrior (2)
Amelia Voght (1)
Warpies (3)
Wicked (1)
Wraith (Rendoza; 1/2)
X-Cutioner (1)
Xraven (1/2)
Zaladane (1)

DeadpoolRP
May 26, 2011, 04:10 pm

Thanks! So, any unexpected info, unexpected team memberships listed, etc., I can look forward to?

Also, I'm pretty sure that with this book all full X-Men members have had profiles, but how about replacement teams, X-Club, X-Men-In-Training, current students, etc.? I'm guessing Dr. Takiguchi, Sharon Friedlander, and Alysande Stuart haven't been covered yet (and has Amanda Sefton?), and I'm sure Longneck, Choir, Forearm (Street Team), and Crosta haven't, but I should check the master list . . .

slevin87
May 26, 2011, 04:12 pm

DeadpoolRP wrote:

(and has Amanda Sefton?)

Yep.

DeadpoolRP
May 26, 2011, 05:01 pm

slevin87 wrote:

Yep.

Okay, thanks. I figured she probably had, but I couldn't remember for sure.

Eduardo M.
May 26, 2011, 07:11 pm

DeadpoolRP wrote:

Okay, thanks. I figured she probably had, but I couldn't remember for sure.

She first got covered in the Women of Marvel handbook in 05 under the name Magik and then she was in the hardcovers under her real name

Rayeye
May 26, 2011, 07:21 pm

I am glad to see the Warpies got 3 pages, I guess that means it contains a page with headshots. Also nice to see Halloween Jack got even 2 pages!

By the way, I wonder why Madison Jeffries (who had a profile in All-New OHOTMU 2006 and the hardcover series) got 3 pages while the other previously covered X-Men (Magneto, Emma Frost, Professor X, Mystique) only got 1 page.

rplss
May 26, 2011, 09:45 pm

Regarding Madison Jeffries, I'll guess that there were enough significant changes. The timing of his last entry in the Hardcovers (issue #6) was just as he was joining up with the X-Men in Uncanny #505 and really didn't say anything about that! There was a great place to start a new section of his bio that had quite a bit of new info, especially since he's been involved in just about every major X-Men story since. The new main illustration was also required, as the previous entry was from Alpha Flight volume 2 (1997-8) and really wouldn't make sense as a canonical image in 2011.

Eduardo M.
May 26, 2011, 10:15 pm

rplss wrote:

Regarding Madison Jeffries, I'll guess that there were enough significant changes. The timing of his last entry in the Hardcovers (issue #6) was just as he was joining up with the X-Men in Uncanny #505 and really didn't say anything about that! There was a great place to start a new section of his bio that had quite a bit of new info, especially since he's been involved in just about every major X-Men story since. The new main illustration was also required, as the previous entry was from Alpha Flight volume 2 (1997-8) and really wouldn't make sense as a canonical image in 2011.

His last main illustration was actually from the Weapon X series. But you are right, he really could use a nice big update. For one thing, he lost his wife.

William Keogh
May 27, 2011, 12:12 pm

Rayeye wrote:

I am glad to see the Warpies got 3 pages, I guess that means it contains a page with headshots. Also nice to see Halloween Jack got even 2 pages!
The Warpies profile had plenty of head shot types on the last page, along with mini-details on individual Warpies.
By the way, I wonder why Madison Jeffries (who had a profile in All-New OHOTMU 2006 and the hardcover series) got 3 pages while the other previously covered X-Men (Magneto, Emma Frost, Professor X, Mystique) only got 1 page.

They were updates, same with one for Beast. So most of the past details that would have been covered in earlier handbooks got the cliff's notes versions and whatever they've been up to since got details.

sucellos11
May 27, 2011, 06:03 pm

Nice! Very, very nice selection of entries! Can't wait to get my hands on it! :read:

Roger Ott
May 27, 2011, 06:30 pm

I won't have mine until Monday, but here's hoping it's all in one piece!

Moira Brandon
May 28, 2011, 08:01 am

So according to this Handbook, from now on, Mist, the valkyrie friend of Dani Moonstar is retconned as has always been Krista from the pages of Thor?

Stuart V
May 28, 2011, 08:45 am

Moira Brandon wrote:

So according to this Handbook, from now on, Mist, the valkyrie friend of Dani Moonstar is retconned as has always been Krista from the pages of Thor?

Yes. There's only nine Valkyrior at any given time, something that was noted in early appearances and reiterated several times thereafter (such as the X-Force Annual where Dani and co rescue them from Malekith). Given we already knew all nine's names, that meant Mist, Axe, etc all either had to have been seen before under other names, or they had to be trainees like Gruenhilda. Given the way Mist and Axe acted at group council and the defiant way they handled Hela, they clearly weren't trainees.

Moira Brandon
May 28, 2011, 08:55 am

Thanks, Stuart. Then, I would love to see some profiles of Valkyries like Krista (Mist) or Hildegarde because I think they have had a prominent presence in some adventures of Thor and New Mutants. By the way, another question...if Mist is Krista ( Hildegarde's sister) it means that Hildegarde has faerie blood too?
Thanks in advance

Stuart V
May 28, 2011, 09:15 am

Moira Brandon wrote:

Thanks, Stuart. Then, I would love to see some profiles of Valkyries like Krista (Mist) or Hildegarde because I think they have had a prominent presence in some adventures of Thor and New Mutants. By the way, another question...if Mist is Krista ( Hildegarde's sister) it means that Hildegarde has faerie blood too?
Thanks in advance

Individual Valkyrie entries are possibilities down the line - Krista and Hildegarde do have the most solo history of all the members bar Brunnhilde, so they'd be the most likely candidates. As for the faerie blood, yes, it's possible, though we can't say for sure; it's feasible that they don't share both parents. Zeus and Odin demonstrate that the ancient gods are poster boys for those deadbeat dads some newspapers rant about, who have fathered a dozen different kids by a dozen different women.

Sidney Osinga
May 29, 2011, 09:54 pm

Despite the printing error (which still left me with a complete book), I really liked this Handbook. It has a good mix of modern entries (Chance, Moon Boy, Zaladane), older characters who never had an entry (Tom Corsi, Devil/Fireflyte, Kukulcan, Saturnine), and newer characters (Black Womb, Joseph, Wicked). It's also interesting to see entries about characters with minor links to the X-Men (Mr. Jip, Poltergeist, Sunstroke, the Valkyrior, who I was disappointed wasn't included in the Thor Handbook) as well as a new country entry (hope to see more). I am disappointed about some entries that weren't included (Gateway, the Living Monolith, the alien Lucifer, the Blackbird jet, more individual Imperial Guard members, more Events), but still, after 5 X-Men Handbooks (2004, 2005, Messiah Complex, Phoenix Force, and this one) as well as entries in other Handbooks, there are still enough characters to be covered in at least another handbook.

Some mistakes I've noticed:

Kukulcan - "...emit ablinding light..."

Crimson Dawn - I think the caption for the pre-transformation A'Yin and Barak are reversed, since they eye brands are over different eyes in their transformed pictures.

Warpies - part of the caption for the Cherubim picture is cut off

Magneto/Zaladane - Zaladane is listed as Magneto's apparent daughter, yet he wasn't included in her Known Relatives. I'm fairly sure she never made that claim. While she did claim to be Polaris' sister, that doesn't mean she's Magneto's daughter. She could be Polaris' half-sister or the child of her adoptive parents.

Michael Regan
May 30, 2011, 08:37 am

Sidney Osinga wrote:

Despite the printing error

What was the printing error?

William Keogh
May 30, 2011, 12:48 pm

Michael Regan wrote:

What was the printing error?

Look back a few posts. In the copy I got, things were out of the usual alphabetical order, and a couple of profiles had their pages seperated and in the wrong place entirely. It's still a complete handbook, at least the one I got.

Michael Regan
May 30, 2011, 09:21 pm

William Keogh wrote:

Look back a few posts. In the copy I got, things were out of the usual alphabetical order, and a couple of profiles had their pages seperated and in the wrong place entirely. It's still a complete handbook, at least the one I got.

Very odd. My copy is fine.

Andy E. Nystrom
May 30, 2011, 09:53 pm

William Keogh wrote:

Not every copy with the printing error is complete. Mine actually had pages missing/duplicated. There were other copies at the shop I bought them from in the same state as mine (i.e. missing/duplicated pages), but those were pulled when I alerted them, I think. See post #32 for what's missing in copies that have the missing/duplicated copies problem.

Roger Ott
Jun 1, 2011, 10:56 am

Got my copy yesterday, and after flipping through it, everything seems in order.

William Keogh
Jun 1, 2011, 11:45 am

Michael Regan wrote:

Very odd. My copy is fine.

I wondered if every shop in these parts had received faulty copies. Apparently not.

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Not every copy with the printing error is complete. Mine actually had pages missing/duplicated. There were other copies at the shop I bought them from in the same state as mine (i.e. missing/duplicated pages), but those were pulled when I alerted them, I think. See post #32 for what's missing in copies that have the missing/duplicated copies problem.

I've had a look at that one. It seems like different places had different issues with the release.

Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 1, 2011, 12:15 pm

William Keogh wrote:

I've had a look at that one. It seems like different places had different issues with the release.

Yeah, that would make sense. If a problem occurs, it likely occurs for consecutive printings, making it very likely for all copies of a particular problem showing up together. Ironically in this instance the lack of Handbook on the title might help me in the end: my usual dealer didn't get them in time because he normally focusses on the word Handbook so I had to go somewhere else. Therefore when my previously ordered copy arrives, it will probably be at a diferent point in the print run, thus errror free (given that a high percentage seem to be fine). If he had gotten it in time that copy might have experienced the same problem because it was being shipped to the same city. So someone somewhere else close by enough to be on the same truck (Nanaimo maybe) probably got a defective copy originally intended for me.

William Keogh
Jun 1, 2011, 12:35 pm

I frequent two shops here; the one where I bought it had the same problems in each issue on the shelf, and by the time I got to the other shop to see what their version was like, it was off the shelf.

Eduardo M.
Jun 3, 2011, 06:53 pm

Just got back from my LCS.

Somedays God is good.

My copy is in order and no one is missing.

Have only flipped through it so far but I am liking the work Gus did on it. Major kudos for the art on Magneto, Joseph, Albion, and Candy Southern.

Andy E. Nystrom
Jun 8, 2011, 09:57 pm

Got my second copy today and... it's the other mixed up version, with all the pages present but in the wrong order. If there's a God, He/She/It has a twisted sense of humour sometimes. Well, at least I have all the entries now.

Eduardo M.
Jun 8, 2011, 10:28 pm

Andy E. Nystrom wrote:

Got my second copy today and... it's the other mixed up version, with all the pages present but in the wrong order. If there's a God, He/She/It has a twisted sense of humour sometimes. Well, at least I have all the entries now.

wow. Did you piss off Loki or something?

I'm still wondering how all this happened. Do we have any ideas?

RVcousin
Jun 30, 2011, 07:32 pm

Finally got mine today and I noticed a few things :
1) Mystique is not listed as a former member of Norman Osborn's X-Men
2) In the Utopia entry, in the Superhuman Residents section, Fantomex is not listed with the rest of the X-Men members. Didn't he "officially" joined them in Uncanny X-Men #525 ? Same question for Avalanche in New Mutants #14 and Random in X-men Legacy #242 ?

The issue is like the rest of the collection : Awesome job like always.

DeadpoolRP
Jun 30, 2011, 07:55 pm

RVcousin wrote:

Finally got mine today and I noticed a few things :
1) Mystique is not listed as a former member of Norman Osborn's X-Men

I don't have it right in front of me, but I believe this was just an update, and the updates didn't include complete group membership lists, just a sampling. However, you're right, that would have been a good group affiliation to include since I believe she joined that team after her previous profile was published.

RVcousin wrote:

2) In the Utopia entry, in the Superhuman Residents section, Fantomex is not listed with the rest of the X-Men members. Didn't he "officially" joined them in Uncanny X-Men #525 ? Same question for Avalanche in New Mutants #14 and Random in X-men Legacy #242 ?

It seems clear to me that Fantomex & E.V.A.'s X-Men membership is beyond question: They helped the X-Men in New York and transported them back to Utopia; they defended Utopia and San Francisco during "Second Coming," even before Cyclops's rallying speech; they transported a lot of the X-Men and fought alongside them during "Wolverine vs. the X-Men"; and they've been among the X-Men pretty much everywhere lately.

Avalanche, along with all of the other Utopia residents rallied to the X-Men's aid during "Second Coming," is a bit less clear. Cyclops DOES say they're all X-Men, and he's the authority on the subject, so it seems like they need to be counted as members of some sort; however, I don't know if Marvel's going to grant them that status in print anywhere. I'm hoping they at least get some kind of sub-team status ("Utopia defense recruits," or something like that). The other problem, though, would be that we really only say a few characters (Avalanche, Legion, Random, Litterbug, Scalphunter, Sack) actually defending the island (just like we only saw a fraction of the X-Men and students defending the island) because we only saw snippets of the battle, so who knows if the rest of the mutants Cyclops rallied actually helped. I guess that could always be revealed in a future handbook, though!

And I agree that Random should be considered a member, especially since everyone else on the squad sent to help with the reconstruction efforts in San Francisco was an X-Men member or student ("We're the X-Men! Oh, well, except for him. He's just a hanger-on, though Cyclops DID send him and WILL debrief him afterwards . . ."). I also know that Mike Carey considers him a member of the team, for what that's worth.

RVcousin wrote:

The issue is like the rest of the collection : Awesome job like always.

I agree!

Honestly, it seems to me that someone somewhere decided that the Utopia entry wasn't the place to rock the boat by revealing much in the way of X-Men membership changes. It could have been the entry writer's choice, or it could have been by editorial mandate, but that's the impression I get. That would explain why it said things like "X-Men members have included" (instead of "X-Men members are"), which I read as "included, but not limited to" (this is supported by the fact that several of the former Utopia residents listed in the entry were X-Men members, but they weren't included in the X-Men members list, so "have included" doesn't seem to be saying that some of the people on the list are former members).

Here are the membership changes that ARE confirmed in the Utopia entry:

-Aurora and Hepzibah are confirmed as having been X-Men member on Utopia, though I don't believe they've been shown there on panel.
-Cable, Jubilee, Omega Sentinel, and Cecilia Reyes are also confirmed as X-Men members since their respective returns.
-Hope Summers is confirmed as a full X-Men member, not just a student.
-Indra is confirmed now as a training squad member.

What wasn't confirmed:

-X-23 was still just listed as a sub-team member, though the fact that she was on the X-Men's alpha team during "Second Coming" makes it hard to believe she's just a student.
-Fantomex, E.V.A., and Random aren't confirmed as members, as mentioned above.
-Avalanche, Litterbug, Sack, Legion, and Scalphunter aren't confirmed as members, also as mentioned above.
-The Lights aren't confirmed as training squad members, despite the statement in Heroic Age: X-Men that Rogue's squad of X-Men is "an ever-shifting team comprised of members from the student body (notably the 'Five Lights' recruited by Hope)" and the fact that the Lights have referred to the X-Men as their teammates in Generation Hope.

Did I miss anything?

Strange, looking over my post I realize that Cable is listed as someone who's been an X-Men member, so why weren't Nightcrawler and Ariel, etc.? Weird. So that's an inconsistency in the list, I guess, which means there's another former Utopia resident worth mentioning who wasn't confirmed as an X-Men member:

-Diamond Lil, since Cyclops basically says that she was a member in Jim McCann's 2010 Dazzler one-shot: when Dazzler compares allowing Mortis to stay in the X-Men's medical facilities to letting Emma Frost join the X-Men, Cyclops says that the difference between the two is that Frost never killed an X-Man. Well, the only confirmed X-Men member (albeit trainee) killed during "Necrosha" was Onyxx, but he was killed by Wither. It seems unlikely that another X-Men member was killed and we haven't heard about it (especially since we saw a meeting where Cyclops talked about and displayed on screen the three mutants killed during "Necrosha": Diamond Lil, Onyxx, and Meld), which seems to make the person Mortis actually killed, Diamond Lil, an X-Men member.

And while we're on the topic of unconfirmed X-Men members, I still don't understand why Deadpool's probationary membership is never listed. I know it was explained on here that the whole thing was a ruse on Cyclops's part, but that's not how it seemed to me. My arguments:

1.) It wasn't Cyclops who had a weird ruse going: Deadpool was the one who had the strange plan to make the X-Men look good (at his own expense).
2.) I realize that at the end of the storyline Cyclops said that Deadpool was never an X-Man, but that seemed more like Scott improvising as events played out and he got a camera shoved in his face and had to distance himself from Deadpool. (And if we have to take Cyclops's off-the-cuff membership declarations as law, what about all of those people he called X-Men during "Second Coming"? ;))
3.) And here's the main thing that makes me disbelieve the "Cyclops's ruse" explanation: earlier in the story, when Domino released Deadpool because she thought the X-Men were going to kill him, Wolverine tells her that they were just going to take him on a mission to Asia to get him away from local events/problems. Taking him on missions sounds like X-Men membership to me, not just a ruse.

I mean, I understand that one of the reasons Cyclops granted Deadpool probationary membership was to keep him out of trouble, but did anyone ever actually say it was a ruse, or is that just how Cyclops's TV declaration has been interpreted?

RVcousin
Jul 2, 2011, 06:28 am

DeadpoolRP wrote:

It seems clear to me that Fantomex & E.V.A.'s X-Men membership is beyond question: They helped the X-Men in New York and transported them back to Utopia; they defended Utopia and San Francisco during "Second Coming," even before Cyclops's rallying speech; they transported a lot of the X-Men and fought alongside them during "Wolverine vs. the X-Men"; and they've been among the X-Men pretty much everywhere lately.

Agree

DeadpoolRP wrote:

Avalanche, along with all of the other Utopia residents rallied to the X-Men's aid during "Second Coming," is a bit less clear. Cyclops DOES say they're all X-Men, and he's the authority on the subject, so it seems like they need to be counted as members of some sort; however, I don't know if Marvel's going to grant them that status in print anywhere. I'm hoping they at least get some kind of sub-team status ("Utopia defense recruits," or something like that). The other problem, though, would be that we really only say a few characters (Avalanche, Legion, Random, Litterbug, Scalphunter, Sack) actually defending the island (just like we only saw a fraction of the X-Men and students defending the island) because we only saw snippets of the battle, so who knows if the rest of the mutants Cyclops rallied actually helped. I guess that could always be revealed in a future handbook, though!

I'm agree with you for the "Utopia defense" sub-team, but for Avalanche he was the only one seen in action with other members and was apparently already on the field during Cyclops' speech in New Mutants #14.

DeadpoolRP wrote:

And I agree that Random should be considered a member, especially since everyone else on the squad sent to help with the reconstruction efforts in San Francisco was an X-Men member or student ("We're the X-Men! Oh, well, except for him. He's just a hanger-on, though Cyclops DID send him and WILL debrief him afterwards . . ."). I also know that Mike Carey considers him a member of the team, for what that's worth.

If Carey said so, he's a member

DeadpoolRP wrote:

-Indra is confirmed now as a training squad member.

Didn't catch this one, great.

DeadpoolRP wrote:

-The Lights aren't confirmed as training squad members, despite the statement in Heroic Age: X-Men that Rogue's squad of X-Men is "an ever-shifting team comprised of members from the student body (notably the 'Five Lights' recruited by Hope)" and the fact that the Lights have referred to the X-Men as their teammates in Generation Hope.

I'm really curious to know what's their official status ? X-Men (like Wolverine or Cyclops) ? X-Men-In-Training (like Anole or Indra) ? new X-Men sub-team (like the X-Club or the X-Men-In-Training) ? only students (like Martha Johansson) ? completely independant team (like X-Factor or Excalibur) ?

DeadpoolRP wrote:

And while we're on the topic of unconfirmed X-Men members, I still don't understand why Deadpool's probationary membership is never listed. I know it was explained on here that the whole thing was a ruse on Cyclops's part, but that's not how it seemed to me. My arguments:

1.) It wasn't Cyclops who had a weird ruse going: Deadpool was the one who had the strange plan to make the X-Men look good (at his own expense).
2.) I realize that at the end of the storyline Cyclops said that Deadpool was never an X-Man, but that seemed more like Scott improvising as events played out and he got a camera shoved in his face and had to distance himself from Deadpool. (And if we have to take Cyclops's off-the-cuff membership declarations as law, what about all of those people he called X-Men during "Second Coming"? ;))
3.) And here's the main thing that makes me disbelieve the "Cyclops's ruse" explanation: earlier in the story, when Domino released Deadpool because she thought the X-Men were going to kill him, Wolverine tells her that they were just going to take him on a mission to Asia to get him away from local events/problems. Taking him on missions sounds like X-Men membership to me, not just a ruse.

I mean, I understand that one of the reasons Cyclops granted Deadpool probationary membership was to keep him out of trouble, but did anyone ever actually say it was a ruse, or is that just how Cyclops's TV declaration has been interpreted?

100% agree. he was given membership, uniform, missions, ... All of that by Cyclops. Ruse or not he was there and acted like a X-Man, and a better one than Sabretooth or Mystique.

DeadpoolRP
Jul 10, 2011, 03:57 am

RVcousin wrote:

I'm really curious to know what's their official status ? X-Men (like Wolverine or Cyclops) ? X-Men-In-Training (like Anole or Indra) ? new X-Men sub-team (like the X-Club or the X-Men-In-Training) ? only students (like Martha Johansson) ? completely independant team (like X-Factor or Excalibur) ?

The latest issue of Generation Hope (#8) seems to have cleared things up a bit. From the recap page: "After successfully completing their first mission as an officially sanctioned X-Men squad, Hope and company are met with some disturbing news." And later in the issue Hope says, "We're X-Men. We need code names in the field." So we can probably narrow it down to either full X-Men or at the least a sub-team.

rplss
Jul 14, 2011, 12:39 pm

Is the "Kyle Roy" listed in the Utopia entry Northstar's boyfriend? Alpha Flight #2 says his name is Kyle Jinadu. Who is Kyle Roy then?

DeadpoolRP
Jul 17, 2011, 02:13 am

rplss wrote:

Is the "Kyle Roy" listed in the Utopia entry Northstar's boyfriend? Alpha Flight #2 says his name is Kyle Jinadu. Who is Kyle Roy then?

This is purely conjecture on my part, but I would guess that they're the same character and that he'd only been called Roy in the comics when the handbook came out, so the handbook writers gave him a last name. Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente probably weren't aware of this when they wrote Alpha Flight #2, so they gave him a last name of their own and their editors unfortunately didn't catch it. I could be wrong, though.

Rayeye
Jul 26, 2011, 04:11 pm

Finally got this handbook today along with Captain America: America's Avenger and Thor: Asgard's Avenger.

I liked the new information in the Neo and Warpies profiles. Did you guys (writers) made up the new names of the Warpies yourselves, or were they given by Alan Davis?

I also liked the explanation of Elysia and Tartarus actually being the ones behind the Neo attack in Young X-Men. Was this the writer's original explanation or specially made up by you for the profile?
I also wondered if it is an error or there are in fact really two Tartarus characters?

Stuart V
Jul 26, 2011, 04:58 pm

Rayeye wrote:

I liked the new information in the Neo and Warpies profiles. Did you guys (writers) made up the new names of the Warpies yourselves, or were they given by Alan Davis?

Alan gave us permission and guidelines, but left the actual naming to us.

Sidney Osinga
Aug 12, 2011, 01:45 pm

Last night, I went to the local grocery store and found an error-free copy on the magazine rack there. I of course bought it, so lucky me.

Roger Ott
Aug 13, 2011, 01:14 am

The fact that you found a comic book at a grocery story is the part that astounds me.

William Keogh
Aug 13, 2011, 04:58 pm

No kidding. I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen a handbook on the traditional newsstands.

captainswift
Aug 13, 2011, 07:01 pm

William Keogh wrote:

No kidding. I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen a handbook on the traditional newsstands.

We've had most of the recent ones (since Deadpool) at the bookstore where I work. Even Blockbusters, which surprised me, since it wasn't tied directly to a core title.

Eduardo M.
Aug 13, 2011, 07:35 pm

I was at a B&N earlier today that had both the X-Men and Captain America handbooks

Andy E. Nystrom
Aug 13, 2011, 11:12 pm

When I went to Tukwila a few weeks ago as part of a Seattle and area trip, I saw this one at B&N. I'm pretty sure at least one Borders in the broad Seattle area had one as well, not that that matters much anymore.

slevin87
Aug 13, 2011, 11:39 pm

I found a copy of the Spider-Man: Back in Black handbook in a Borders several months after it came out.

Sidney Osinga
Aug 14, 2011, 04:19 am

Roger Ott wrote:

The fact that you found a comic book at a grocery story is the part that astounds me.

Actually, the Sobey's near me does carry a fair number of comics, usualy Marvel and Archie.

Phoenixx9
Aug 14, 2011, 03:05 pm

I found a few Archie comics at a Barnes and Noble yesterday as well as a selection of recent Marvel comics, but no DC comics.

Eduardo M.
Aug 14, 2011, 03:39 pm

Phoenixx9 wrote:

I found a few Archie comics at a Barnes and Noble yesterday as well as a selection of recent Marvel comics, but no DC comics.

The B&N I was at yetserday had plenty of all three.

Roger Ott
Aug 15, 2011, 11:16 am

So glad to hear B&N is carrying comics. That's a very good thing.

However, the market venues missing (in the US at least) are grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations, etc., where the impulse purchase can take place. My very first comics were purchased by my mother standing in line at the grocery store because she thought I'd like them. I picked up my first OHotMU from a drugstore spinner rack while waiting for my aunt to fill a prescription, and that's how I got most of my comics for close to a decade.

If they'd been tucked away in a comic shop somewhere that my mother would never have gone to, I'd probably not be a comic reader today. Lack of accessibility to the casual buyer is the main cause of the downturn of comics sales.

Sorry, this is one of my rant topics.

As you were...

Phoenixx9
Aug 15, 2011, 11:43 am

Eduardo M. wrote:

The B&N I was at yetserday had plenty of all three.

Then you are most lucky, indeed!

William Keogh
Aug 15, 2011, 02:54 pm

With grocery stores, the typical sole offering will be the witless Archie comics on the racks by the checkouts....

Up in Ontario's cottage country, there's one independent store that's quite well known in the province that actually carries quite a number of comics each month. I don't know if it's because someone along the line was a fan and it made sense, or because the nearest LCS is two hours away, but the comics do sell there, because they wouldn't keep up bringing them in if it didn't.

Rayeye
Aug 16, 2011, 05:05 pm

This handbook was one of my favorite handbooks from 2011! I enjoyed it a lot, especially the Halloween Jack, Neo and Warpies profile.

A few comments:
In the Neo profile Ransom Sole should be named Ransome Sole, while in the Warpies profile Cherubim Whirlwind's correct name should be Cherub Whirwind.
And though Gus Vasquez is credited, I think the image of Shortpack is really Michael Ryan's doing.

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera