Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2020 9:15 am  #1

OHOTMU Wolverine 2004

Historical text from Comixfan (Oct 9, 2004 material, recovered using Wayback Machine came from page 1 (of 3) of a separate, non-Who Watches the Watchers thread called OPENING THE WOLVERINE FILES: AN OHOTMU WOLVERINE 2004 PREVIEW):

Alex Groff
Oct 9, 2004
Marvel Comics have provided ComiX-Fan with a six-page preview of the Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004, written by Ronald Byrd and our very own Eric J. Moreels with a cover by artist Salvador Larroca and digital colorist Richard Isanove.

Here's how the issue was originally solicited in the October Previews:

The Mighty Marvel Handbook collides with everyone’s favorite mutant! Featuring the most comprehensive profile of Wolverine ever committed to print, OHOTMUW04 also includes in-depth bios on more than 25 of the feral X-Man’s friends and foes — from Amiko to Yukio. Plus: exhaustive entries on Adamantium, Alpha Flight, Madripoor and Weapon X — and an all-new cover by superstar artist Salvador Larroca, digitally painted by Richard Isanove!

Click a thumbnail below to view the full-sized image in a new browser window.

Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004 Page 2 preview          Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004 Page 14 preview              Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004 Page 18 preview
Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004 Page 26 preview       Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004 Page 35 preview              Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004 Page 42 preview

The Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004 is due in stores on 20 October 2004.

Pre-order the Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004 online now from X-World Comics and save!

Anand Khatri
Oct 9, 2004
I am definetly getting this.

Kavalier
Oct 9, 2004
I typically love Sal Larroca's work, but this cover? Ugh.

k

James Groves
Oct 9, 2004
Any ideas onthe size of this? I've always wondered whether a nice A5 sized encyclopedia would be good. Kinda like a little collectors piece.

The info looks very good.

Not liking the cover though.

Will the artwork be original pieices or bits taken from stuff on comics, etc.

I'm torn about getting it. The writing looks ace, but like previous stuff its always been artwork taken from other stuff and its too big too.

Mario J. Ramos
Oct 9, 2004
Whats the price?

Jared Oberholtzer
Oct 9, 2004

Kavalier wrote:

I typically love Sal Larroca's work, but this cover? Ugh.

Same. I think it's the colorist.. It doesn't really look like Sal's work colored that way.

jdh
Oct 9, 2004
I love the image of Wolvie in the OHOTMU wolvie page. On that page it lists Erista as Wolvie's son. Who is this? When was this presented?

DeadmanWade
Oct 9, 2004
is it just me or do they always use that same dp pic for every profile book......im not interested to much in this they didnt even take time to make new art for it why should i take my time to buy it.

jota
Oct 9, 2004

jdh wrote:

I love the image of Wolvie in the OHOTMU wolvie page. On that page it lists Erista as Wolvie's son. Who is this? When was this presented?

I'd also like to know that.

It looks good but I also don't like the cover. The collour don't look good and I really don't think Larroca does a good Wolverine.

Kavalier
Oct 9, 2004
As near as I can tell, the first place to ever site Erista was this website's Wolverine Bio several years ago. Thee is an amusing conversation after the bio where people beg, literally for years, to know who Eric is talking about. It looks like the entry from this website got cut and pasted without any citation or fact checking.

But as an American, I have been told by my president to not worry about facts. So I don't really care.

k

Kavalier
Oct 9, 2004
Sorry for the double post. This is interesting.

http://www.marvunapp.com/master/eoet.htm

Go to the entry on "Erista" it confirms that this is the child from "The Jungle Adventure" and also gives a citation for the naming of the child as "Uncanny X-Men 3__"

I don't know what this means. Perhaps the author knows this happened at some point in the 300s of uxm? But cannot remember exactly when? Maybe a better person than myself will check into their back issues and find this.

However, this site also lists Erista as a DAUGHTER!

Alex Groff
Oct 9, 2004
Erista is from the Wolverine: The Jungle Adventure by Simonson and Mignola. 1990. It's also Wolverine's first meeting with Apocalypse. The cover is attached.

Kavalier
Oct 9, 2004

Alex Groff wrote:

Erista is from the Wolverine: The Jungle Adventure by Simonson and Mignola. 1990. It's also Wolverine's first meeting with Apocalypse. The cover is attached.

While it is suggested that Wolverine sires a child in this book, there is no gender or name assigned to that child. The question is where "Erista" came from?

k

benbacca37
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not really sure Deadpool belongs in this. Yah, he's had a few run-ins with Wolvie and he got his uggo face from being given a copy of Wolvie's healing factor, but he's more of a X-force villain and now merc. Ah well, at least they're giving Deadpool a bio period.

Foenix
Oct 9, 2004
Excellent. I'm a big supporter of the OHOTMUs, and am so glad to see them back in print. I've picked them all up so far, and I'll definitely be getting this one as well.

J

Zachary J. Morrison
Oct 9, 2004
I'm looking forward to picking this up. Wolverine is totally AWESOME :grin:

Michael P.
Oct 9, 2004
the cover loooks HORRRRIBLE but im pickin this up cuz Jeannie is supposed to be in it and cuz i like Omega Red.

Iron Man
Oct 9, 2004
Thats it! I want another 2 origin stories for wolvie explaining weapon x and japan, a deadpool origin and a sabretooth origin! Oh yeah and a Nightcrawler and Dr.Doom also! I wonder if Omega Red or Silver Samurai will be back?

number1958
Oct 9, 2004
I don't think Jim Lee drew that Sabretooth picture.

Vortex
Oct 9, 2004
I can't wait to read this stuff about Wolverine. :dance:

Eric J. Moreels
Nov 11, 2004, 10:50 am
Here it is, folks, the official discussion thread for the Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe: Wolverine 2004!

Whatever your thoughts and opinions, good and bad, Ronald and I wanna hear 'em so fire away!

Jodoria

Nov 12, 2004, 12:39 am

I thought it was good and even worth buying. I thought some of the ratings for certain peoples fight skill were a bit odd, but hey, what do i know...?I just thought i couple of peoples should have been higher then they were.

Anand Khatri

Nov 12, 2004, 12:53 am

I have a question: Where and when did Logan have a son?!?

Jon Hancock

Nov 12, 2004, 01:09 am

Oh good God. You had to ask didn't you..

Anand Khatri

Nov 12, 2004, 01:13 am

Quote:Originally Posted by Jon Hancock
Oh good God. You had to ask didn't you...
Hey, It confused the out of me when I read it in the OHOTMU: X-Men 2004, and then I saw it in this. I was like "huh?!?!".

Eric J. Moreels

Nov 12, 2004, 06:37 am

Jon Hancock wrote:

Oh good God. You had to ask didn't you...

I'm pleading the fifth this time around!

Scourge

Nov 15, 2004, 08:44 am

Matsuo's first appearance was in Uncanny 256, am I right? In that his name is spelt "Matsuo". Could someone please explain why the apostrophe was added to make it "Matsu'o"?

It really bugs me when people get names wrong, like when Claremont kept calling Cecilia Reyes "Cecelia".

Stuart V
Nov 15, 2004, 09:00 am

Scourge wrote:

Matsuo's first appearance was in Uncanny 256, am I right? In that his name is spelt "Matsuo". Could someone please explain why the apostrophe was added to make it "Matsu'o"?

It really bugs me when people get names wrong, like when Claremont kept calling Cecilia Reyes "Cecelia".

He's Japanese, yes? Which means, if I understand this correctly, his name isn't Matsuo or Matsu'o, it's a Japanese ideogram (which I can't type with this keyboard), and Matsuo / Matsu'o are Anglicised spellings of how his name sounds phonetically. Hence neither one is strictly correct, nor wrong. The same would hold true for Mariko, Yukio and Silver Samurai (and can also been seen in how the English spelling of various Japanese giant monster names have varied over the years).

p.s. If anyone who actually is Japanese / speaks or reads Japanese feels I have this wrong, and wishes to correct me, then I will, naturally, bow to their superior knowledge in this area.

Anthony Lucynski

Nov 17, 2004, 11:47 am

Deadpool's name is not Jack, it's Wade Wilson. That was concluded in the end of Funeral for a Freak, written by Buddy Scalera (but credited to Frank Tieri for obvious financial reasons).

I'm sorry, it's not open for interpretation.

Anthony L

Ronald Byrd

Nov 18, 2004, 09:25 am

I co-wrote the Deadpool profile, and I discussed this subject with the other writers and with Marvel editors. It was agreed that a multi-part (and IMHO excellent) storyline with the pivotal allegation that Deadpool WASN'T Wade Wilson trumped one later line of (IMHO not nearly as well written) dialogue offering an irrelevant claim that he was. The subject was referred to in the profile when it is noted that "The better to confuse his enemy [T-Ray], Deadpool mocked him by claiming to be the true Wade Wilson after all." We talked, we contemplated, we decided, we wrote. It is done. Deadpool was declared to be Jack, and there was no subsequent convincing testimony to the contrary. I'm sorry if you don't like that; there are things in continuity that I don't like, either, but I don't worry about it. Usually. : )

Hope your enjoyment of the Handbooks is otherwise undiminished. Thanks for your time.

P.S.

Can anyone tell me what the word "Chibi," appearing below my name, means? If that's supposed to be my nickname, I didn't choose it. Just wondering. Thanks.
Anthony Lucynski

Nov 18, 2004, 11:25 am

Thanks for the response, but I'm not a fan of revisionist history and interpretation simply because one does not like the quality of the story that came after.

There was no "mocking". It was a clear statement at the conclusion of the Funeral for a Freak story, and tied up what was the only blemish on Mr. Kelly's otherwise excellent run.

Anthony L

Stuart V

Nov 18, 2004, 02:12 pm

Anthony Lucynski wrote:

Thanks for the response, but I'm not a fan of revisionist history and interpretation simply because one does not like the quality of the story that came after.

Firstly, comics are full of "revisionist" history (the Steve Rogers Captain America not making it to the end of WWII and others taking the mantle for example).

Second, you are missing a point slightly. Ronald didn't make the decision to take one version of Deadpool's story over another (though, as he stated, he did have personal preferences as to which story he thought was the better written). When researching characters, conflicting versions of their history can come to light, where different writers for whatever reason have added mutually contradictory elements. When that happens, the Handbook writers don't just get to pick the version we prefer. We flag it up to the editors at Marvel, who then discuss the options, and who often go back to the writers of the stories to get their feelings. We might have an opinion, but the editors at Marvel generally make the final decision. So unless, and until, another Marvel comics writer decides to "revise" this, Deadpool is Jack, using the alias of Wade Wilson

Anthony Lucynski

Nov 18, 2004, 02:59 p

See, that's just it, it was written.

It's a fact.

It matters not how I feel.

You can't just go interpreting a fact. It's only "Jack" because this book says it is. It's never been "Jack" before. If it were, every comic site out there (including this one) would of refered to him as such. Being a huge DP fan, having every appearence, and even being in charge of the resources section of Deadpool at this very site, I think I can safely say that.

It isn't even an issue, or at least it shouldn't be. It's akin to saying "You know, Logan's been called Logan for years. Sure, it's been changed by origin, but we're calling him Logan instead of James"

Ignoring facts in favor of a story that proceeded it (which is exactly what this is) and adding your own spin to the facts ("The better to confuse his enemy [T-Ray], Deadpool mocked him by claiming to be the true Wade Wilson after all." is an interpretation of an event, and that shouldn't even be brought up in a discussion of a book chronicalling facts) doesn't make it right. It's a mistake, plain and simple. It may not be Ronald's mistake, per say, but it is one nonetheless.

From this sites Shield Files:

Soon after, Deadpool's long-thought dead wife, Mercedes, returned thanks to the machinations of Deadpool's nemesis T-Ray, who revealed that Deadpool was not the real Wade Wilson - T-Ray himself was. However, this was later revealed to be just another of T-Ray's mind-games.

How you interpret that as mocking T-Ray (who was a complete veggie after that arc, BTW. Hard to mock someone who's drooling in a complete stupor) then I want whatever whomever ultimatley made this decision is smoking.....

That story was concluded years ago, and it's been Wade ever since. It never got retconned by a later story. If it had, I'd switch my position. As it were, there is nothing conflicting about this. It's a mistake, and if people who cannot admit the mistake can't take the feedback, then really, this forum is useless.

Anthony L

Ronald Byrd

Nov 18, 2004, 03:41 pm

Wow, it can take a long time to get messages posted here.

Loki has already done a good job of elaborating (Thanks, Loki.), but I feel compelled to add that there was no "revisionist history" here (If anything was "revisionist history," it was the "Funeral for a Freak" dialogue.). We did not say that Deadpool DIDN'T speak the dialogue in question (and dialogue (as opposed to action) is always subject to re-wording or deletion, otherwise we'd still be trying to explain why the FF were trying to beat "the commies" to be the first ones on the Moon when the current timeline indicates that the Moon Landing and the fall of the Soviet Union both occurred years before the FF's origin); in fact, we made a point of confirming that he DID speak it. At no point did we say that anything which was depicted as happening did not in fact happen.

However, we recognized that this one line of "Wade" dialogue contradicted earlier "Jack" dialogue and flashbacks. Jack or Wade? Only one claim could be true, and as we balanced the scale, we found there was more weight on the "Jack" side than there was on the "Wade" side.

We (the writers, >>supported and approved<< by the editors) therefore reached a conclusion as to the meaning of the "Wade" dialogue (I'm sure there have been other instances when additional or new meaning has been given to throwaway dialogue, although none occur to me at the moment.), a conclusion which conformed with the preponderance of "Jack" evidence and allowed the dialogue to have been spoken but prevented it from needlessly contradicting earlier continuity. Deadpool still spoke the "FFAF" dialogue, but it has now been determined that he did so for a different reason than might have previously been thought. This is not "revisionist history," this is "re-evaluated motivation." It is always acceptable to theorize as to WHY a character said or did something.

"Deadpool is Jack but uses the name Wade" contradicted nothing and was supported by the storyline which revealed that pre-Deadpool ("The Mercenary") had stolen pre-T-Ray ("The Teacher Married to Mercedes")'s identity. "Deadpool is Wade and has always been Wade" contradicted the aforementioned storyline and was supported by nothing; it had much against it and nothing in its defense.

Although hopefully rare, instances where a decision must be made between two or more pieces of conflicting information do arise now and then. When presented with such a situation, it is best to choose (A) the one supported by the most evidence, or, failing that, (B) the one that adds the most depth/potential/etc. to the character and plot. IMHO "Deadpool is Jack" meets both of these criteria. Any reader has the prerogative to disagree, but unless such a reader is given, as we were, the opportunity to "resolve" the contradiction with official approval and can satisfactorily explain how "Deadpool is Wade" does not contradict the aforementioned storyline, the conclusion as reached stands.

Thanks for your time.

Eric J. Moreels

Nov 18, 2004, 11:02 pm

What Ronald said!

Anthony Lucynski

Nov 19, 2004, 09:29 am

Nice try, but it still doesn't float. I don't care who gave you approval to do this. Ever since the end of that story, the very confusing plot that Joe Kelly left was wrapped up. It's been resolved. No writer has ever used "Jack" as his name.

There is way more evidence that T-Ray was messing with DP from the VERY beggining to crush his spirit. That was resolved.

I'm sorry if you guys can't take the fact that you (and by you I don't neccesarily mean the writer, it could be the editors that gave you permission to retcon stuff in a handbook..for godssake if you're going to retcon, do it in the series....) made a mistake. It's a mistake any way you look at it.

For the fans of the character, WE know this plot got resolved years ago.

For some reason, a few people got together and decided to bring it up again.

I'm not worried about me. I know it's wrong, and the vast majority of Deadpool readers upon reading this will know it's wrong. I'm more worried about any potential new readers who are going to look at this and scratch their heads. I can see the conversation now:

New Reader: "Wait a minute, this Handbook says his name is Jack. I thought it was Wade. I just read Funeral for a Freak Part 4..."

Me (or any other DP fanatic): Well, it IS Wade.

New Reader: But why are they saying it's Jack?

Me: Because at the end of Kelly's run, T-Ray used his powers of magic and illusion and made DP think that he wasn't who he thinks he is....

New Reader: But that was resolved!

Me: I know.

New Reader: So wait, why if the story was resolved, did these guys go back and say it wasnt?

Me: I dunno, when I went to ComiX-fan and pointed it out, I got talked down to and given explanations as to why they made the mistake....

New Reader: So what happened in Funeral for a Freak really doesn't matter?

Me: Apparently not.

New Reader: But that doesnt make any sense!

Me: I know, just ignore it, every other Deadpool fan will...

Anthony L

Anthony Lucynski

Nov 19, 2004, 11:38 am

I just wanted to let you guys know that, on the plus side, the rest of the book was great. Just in case you are thinking that I regretted buying it or anything. If it wasn't for what I perceive as a major mistake on the DP bio, you would of heard nothing but praise from me.

I guess at the end of the day, it's a moot point. It got printed, it's in circulation, nothing can be done about it now. I just thought that it was imperative to let you guys know how, as a fan and consumer, I fealt about it.

It's nothing personal at any rate.

Anthony L

Ronald Byrd

Nov 19, 2004, 11:59 am

If I've been "talking down" to anyone, I apologize. If I'm "talking down" to anyone in the following message, I again apologize. It's unintentional.

Personally, I never found Joe Kelly's plot the least bit confusing in the first place; on the contrary, I thought it was perfectly clear and nothing short of awe-inspiring. And since I---along with, apparently, everyone else involved---personally didn't find it confusing, I can hardly be expected to have contributed to the Deadpool profile as if I did. Because...I didn't. The dialogue in "Funeral for a Freak," however, struck me as incomprehensible on a trans-Shatterstar level.

Okay, so T-Ray, who created the Deadpool personality components with the Gemini Star, is holding the Gemini Star when it gets broken. The Gemini Star sucks up all the Deadpool personality components, and since T-Ray is, as noted, HOLDING the Gemini Star, he absorbs them into himself, the reasonable inference being that this happens BECAUSE he is holding the Gemini Star, the very thing that created them and is now recalling them. And this somehow means that T-Ray is NOT Wade Wilson? I hope this doesn't sound rude, but on what planet does that make sense?

I (obviously) can't stop anyone from griping about this, but I want to clearly state that what we wrote makes 100% perfect sense to me, and I presume it also made perfect sense to everyone else involved. I'm sorry if there are others to whom it does not; since the entire point of the Handbook was to provide and clarify information, that means that I somehow failed. I'll try harder next time.

If Mr. Lucynski is one of those "got to get the last word" people, he is perfectly free to post yet another (IMHO) rude and condescending response and indeed "get the last word," at least as far as I'm concerned, since I believe that I myself have said everything that I can on the subject. If anyone has any OTHER questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Ronald Byrd

Nov 19, 2004, 12:09 pm

I would just like to note that I wrote and posted Post #18 before I read the conciliatory Post #17, which was apparently posted at about the same time. Sorry for any confusion.

Londoncalling3275

Dec 11, 2004, 11:43 am

Has Marvel offically confirmed that Wolverine has gone through a secondary mutation that boosted his powers? Or is it because of the adamantium poisoning his body that greatly weakened his healing factor?

Jango Fet

Dec 17, 2004, 04:20 am

Ok, one thing about this Hand book that bothers me is this. Every handbook, encyclopedia, character description on Wolverine that I have ever read has always listed Wolverine as being 5'3" 195 pounds. Then in this Hand Book you guys decide to put that with the Adamantium Skeleton he weighs 300 pounds. Why this new change? Last year's Marvel Encyclopedia 2-Men had Wolverine listed at 195 with the Adamantium. This was well after he had his Adamantium restored. And to be Consistent why didn't you list two weights for Sabretooth? He has always been listed as being 275 pounds. Now shouldn't he be around 400 pounds with the Adamantium?

Eric J. Moreels

Dec 17, 2004, 06:56 am

Londoncalling3275 wrote:

Has Marvel offically confirmed that Wolverine has gone through a secondary mutation that boosted his powers? Or is it because of the adamantium poisoning his body that greatly weakened his healing factor?

Wolverine's healing factor has always been a tricky thing to nail down in terms of exactly how powerful it is, because it's changed so much with different writer's interpretations of it. With myself on the X-Men Encyclopedia and OHOTMU, and myself and Ronald on the Wolvie OHOTMU, we just tried to present a reasonable middle ground.

Archangel 2029 wrote:

Ok, one thing about this Hand book that bothers me is this. Every handbook, encyclopedia, character description on Wolverine that I have ever read has always listed Wolverine as being 5'3" 195 pounds. Then in this Hand Book you guys decide to put that with the Adamantium Skeleton he weighs 300 pounds. Why this new change? Last year's Marvel Encyclopedia 2-Men had Wolverine listed at 195 with the Adamantium. This was well after he had his Adamantium restored.

Well I wrote both the Encyclopedia and the OHOTMU, and in my notes I had Wolverine listed with the two different weights. It appears that was condensed for the Encyclopedia to print only the first weight, thus giving across an incorrect perception that was how much he weighed with the adamantium. That's why it was ensured both weights made it into the OHOTMU to accurately reflect his weights with and without adamantium.

Archangel 2029 wrote:

And to be Consistent why didn't you list two weights for Sabretooth? He has always been listed as being 275 pounds. Now shouldn't he be around 400 pounds with the Adamantium?

You're absolutely right, and I apologise for that oversight. If I get to do another Sabretooth bio in the future I'll be sure to list both with and without adamantium weights for him too.

Londoncalling3275

Dec 19, 2004, 11:13 am

Thanks for the answers Eric

Jango Fett

Dec 19, 2004, 01:56 pm

Yeah Eric, thanks for the answers, and I still think it is cool as I am relatively new to this site that I have a chance to talk to creators.

As far as Wolverine's Healing factor goes your right (I have read a lot of Wolverine to be able to make somewhat of a judgement), his healing factor does depend a lot on who is writing. In Wolverine v. 2 #184 Logan took what seemed like a million gun shots to his body including several very close up to his face and head and it didn't even phase him, it just pissed him off and he healed in a couple of seconds (Written by Tieri). In the Wolverine Arc "Blood Debt" Logan took several stab wounds to vital areas and pretty much shrugged them off like nothing. In this Arc he also was at the epicenter of a huge explosion that incinerated an entire building and he survived. These are examples of when I have seen his healing factor at it's best. I Could go on and on with examples where his healing factor has been pretty weak for the sake of a story plot also (and there were times where a good explaination was given for why his healing factor was low).

clawsofwolverine

Dec 26, 2005, 12:54 am

I would like to comment on the "secondary mutation" thing for Wolverine. I'm not sure this has been confirmed anywhere but I believe we already saw it,in Wolverine #100.

My way of thinking was a secondary mutation was never introduced for Wolverine becuase of the incidents in Wolverine #100, for example, maybe Grant Morrison thought he had already been through it as well.

Also as a die hard Wolverine fan this was hands down my favorite handbook, the only one I have read cover to cover. It was great.

But I do have a question, why was Deadpool included? As far as I can tell Wolverine and Deadpool have very little connection.

Eric J. Moreels
Dec 26, 2005, 11:57 pm

clawsofwolverine wrote:

But I do have a question, why was Deadpool included? As far as I can tell Wolverine and Deadpool have very little connection.

Deadpool was included because of the Weapon X connection, and 'coz he's cool

clawsofwolverine

Dec 27, 2005, 11:20 am

Works for me!

Playmobil

Dec 27, 2005, 04:53 pm

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Deadpool was included because of the Weapon X connection, and 'coz he's cool!

Cool and funny!

Andy E. Nystrom
Apr 18, 2010, 06:54 p

More lists of changes

All Individuals: Marital Status, Distinguishing Features removed; Known Aliases now Aliases; Superhuman Powers, Special Skills, Costume, Personal Weaponry merged as Abilities/Accessories

All Teams: Purpose, Major Enemies, Known Extent of Operations removed; Known Bases of Operations now Base of Operations

All: Origin Issues and Significant Issues in back section removed.

Wolverine
Hardcover Volume: 13
Page Count: Increased from 10 to 12
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History mostly revised/expanded. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illos removed; new main illo and 21 new secondary illos (15 captioned), followed by classic Elliot R. Brown skeleton specs (supplemented by Adam Kubert & Sean Chen)

Adamantium
Hardcover Volume: 1
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 2
Text Changes: History greatly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: One secondary illo removed; 8 new secondary illos (7 captioned)

Agent Zero/Maverick
Hardcover Volume: 7
Now Listed As: Maverick (Nord)
Page Count: Unchanged at 2
Text Changes: Aliases, Occupation tweaked. Some History paragraphs merged/tweaked, then new final paragraph. Abilities/Accessories greatly revised. Durability and Energy Projection on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now secondary). Other illo removed, and three new ones added.

Alpha Flight
Hardcover Volume: 1
Page Count: Increased from 2 to 3
Text Changes: Known Associates removed. Current and Former Members merged as Members, with sub-headings for The Flight, Eta Flight, and Gamma Flight, then Note. Base of Operations revised. History completely rewritten/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Old main illo and 12 headshots with stats removed; new main illo with18 headshots underneath (all 19 illos sharing one caption) plus 2 additional captioned secondary illos

Bloodscream
Hardcover Volume: 2
Page Count: Unchanged at 1
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised, History heavily revised, Abilities/Accessories revised and incorporates Special Limitations
Graphic Changes: 2 new captioned secondary illos

Cyber
Hardcover Volume: 3
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely revised/expanded. Speed and Energy Projection on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: Original illo now secondary. New main illo, 2 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Deadpool
Hardcover Volume: 3
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History completely revised and expanded. Abilities/Accessories completely revised.
Graphic Changes: Old secondary illo removed, 5 captioned new ones added.

Genesis
Hardcover Volume: 4
Text Changes: Place of Birth now gives Earth number.
Graphic Changes: Main illo reversed/less cropped. New secondary illo.

Lady Deathstrike
Hardcover Volume: 6
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten.
Graphic Changes: New main illo (old one now secondary) and 2 new secondary illos. Old secondary illo cropped.

Madripoor
Hardcover Volume: 6
Text Changes: Size removed. Places of Interest added. Population and Major Resources (formerly Major Industries) revised. History mostly revised/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Street map removed. Flag, map of Madripoor’s position on the globe, and secondary illo added. Headshots: alter egos and Last Appearances removed; some Occupations revised Tyger Tiger headshot only lists earliest First Appearance; new illo for Karma; Aardwolf added.

Mauvais
Text Changes: Real Name, Citizenship revised. History and Abilities/Accessories mostly revised/expanded. Speed on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: New captioned secondary illo.

Mister X
Text Changes: Aliases, Occupation, Group Affiliation revised. History and Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/expanded. Strength on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: New secondary illo.

Native
Hardcover Volume: 8
Text Changes: Alter egos added to History. Abilities/Accessories revised/abridged
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos (1 captioned)

Ogun
Text Changes: Citizenship, Group Affiliation revised. Minor revison to start of first History paragraph; 3rd and 4th paragraphs merged; final 3 paragraphs merged. Abilities/Accessories slightly revised. Speed revised on Power Grid.
Graphic Changes: Left illo now secondary; right illo removed; new main illo and 2 secondary illos (1 captioned).

Omega Red
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten. Eyes revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 3 new secondary illos (1 captioned).

Reavers
Hardcover Volume: 9
Text Changes: Known Members revised as Current Members and Former Members. Base of Operations tweaked. History mostly revised/expanded
Graphic Changes: 2 new secondary illos. Headshots: First and Last Appearances removed, First Active now called Active

Roughhouse
Text Changes: Vital Statistics somewhat revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Abilities/Accessories mostly revised. Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 2 new secondary illos.

Sabretooth
Page Count: Unchanged at 3
Text Changes: Occupation, Group Affiliation revised. History and Abilities/Accessories greatly revised/the former expanded. Strength on Power Grid revised.
Graphic Changes: Both secondary illos removed; 6 new secondary illos (5 captioned)

Silver Fox
Hardcover Volume: 10
Text Changes: Real Name tweaked; Identity, Group Affiliation revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/the former expanded.
Graphic Changes: None

Silver Samurai
Hardcover Volume: 10
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised; History mostly revised/expanded. Abilities/Accessories somewhat revised.
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 6 new secondary illos (2 captioned)

Matsu’o Tsurayaba
Hardcover Volume: 12
Now Listed As: Matsuo Tsurayaba
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/the former expanded. Strength and Energy Projection on Power Grid revised
Graphic Changes: 3 new secondary illos (1 captioned)

Viper
Hardcover Volume: 12
Page Count: Increased from 1 to 4
Text Changes: Vital Statistics revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/expanded. Strength and Fighting Skills on Power Grid revised
Graphic Changes: Old illo removed; new main illo and 8 new secondary illos

Weapon X
Now Listed As: Weapon X Program
Page Count: Increased from 3 to 4
Text Changes: The various Member categories replaced with Current Members and many sub-categories of Former Members (greatly expanded). Base of Operations and First Appearance revised. History completely rewritten/expanded.
Graphic Changes: Old main illo removed; new captioned main illo and 4 captioned secondary illos. Headshots: old Headshots removed, replaced with 48 new headshots (only carryover category is Active; some renaming in headshots) (there used to be 37 headshots, so 17 additional characters).

Mariko Yashida
Text Changes: Aliases, Identity, Occupation, Group Affiliation revised. History completely rewritten/expanded. Abilities/Accessories mostly revised/expanded. Intelligence and Fighting Skills on Power Grid revised
Graphic Changes: Old illo replaced with new one

Yukio
Text Changes: Real Name, Identity, Occupation, Group Affiliation revised. History and Abilities/Accessories completely rewritten/the former expanded. Power Grid revised
Graphic Changes: Illo reversed

sucellos11

Apr 18, 2010, 08:02 pm

Thank you again Andy for posting all these changes!

Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom (5/02/2020 5:38 pm)

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

2/13/2020 6:35 pm  #2

Re: OHOTMU Wolverine 2004

Added in some really obscure stuff just now to the top of the thread, found using Wayback Machine. It came from a separate thread from Comxfan, but not from Who Watches the Watchers, so most of the participants are people I'd never heard of previously. Only the first of three pages could be recovered. Interestingly the entire first page of discussion happened on a single day.

5/02/2020 5:39 pm  #3

Re: OHOTMU Wolverine 2004

Cover image added.

Board footera