Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works 20 YEARS! 2004-2024

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 2:29 pm  #1

Which OHOTMU Do You Most Want to See? Part 2

Historical text from Comixfan.
This poll is closed

• Academy X

18 100.00%

• Alternate Universe

9 100.00%

• Book of the Obscure

15 100.00%

• Cosmic Powers

6 100.00%

• Gods & Monsters

8 100.00%

• Marvel Next

11 100.00%

• Supernatural/Horror

5 100.00%

• Thunderbolts

10 100.00%

• Ultimate Marvel

8 100.00%

• Villains

16 100.00%

• All of the Above!

5 100.00%

• None of the Above!

2 100.00%

Eric J. Moreels

Apr 2, 2005, 08:20 pm

Okay, since an FF Handbook has been announced (and since the Exiles were in the AoA Handbook) I'm restarting the poll with some new options.

For those interested, the results of the first poll were as follows:

34.57% Villains
30.86% Academy X
24.69% Exiles
24.69% Fantastic Four
22.22% Book of The Obscure
18.52% Thunderbolts
14.81% Cosmic Powers
11.11% Supernatural
9.88% Marvel Next
6.17% Gods of Marvel

TheManWithoutFear

Apr 2, 2005, 09:46 pm

I voted Marvel Next.

Chris Day

Apr 2, 2005, 11:19 pm

i voted for academy X, alternate universes, book of the obscure, cosmic powers, gods and monsters, thunderbolts, and villains.

BTW. Earth X trilogy needs one of its own, or maybe a handbook for each installment of the trilogy.

Red

Apr 3, 2005, 12:24 am

I voted for Gods & Monsters, Supernatural/Horror, Cosmic Powers, Villains, Alternate Universes, and Book of the Obscure. The first three in my list are the ones I want to see the most though. Maybe you could combine them somehow? Gods could fall into either supernatural or cosmic powers, for example.

OuterCircle

Apr 4, 2005, 01:16 am

I voted for Academy X (hope it involves introducing more students, show students from Morrison's run, etc.), Alternate Universes (they confuse me so I need reference), Book of the Obscure (though the definition of what you mean by obscure may be different by what I desire), Thunderbolts, Villians, and All of the Above (so I'll be able to have selection rather than only get some/none of the ones I do want to see).

Michael P.

Apr 4, 2005, 03:40 pm

Ultimate. Its about time we get some bios on them.

Clay Olsen

Apr 6, 2005, 06:13 am

Chrisday the RX trilogy would probably end up in Alternate Universes...

1. Cosmic Powers
2. Villians
3. Supernatural
4. Gods and Monsters
5. Book of the Obscure
6. Alternate Universes
7. Thunderbolts...
8. 2099 :howudoin:
9. Defenders/Champions/other defunct groups unless they are all in the Team Book...
10. anything else... (couldn't really care any less about A-Next or Academy X...) :frust:

TheManWithoutFear

Apr 6, 2005, 10:36 am

Why is "Marvel Next" not getting any love?

Corey Blake

Apr 6, 2005, 05:49 pm

At least they have a category. Poor New Warriors...

Voted for Book of the Obscure (because I assume that's where the New Warriors would fall), Villains, and Marvel Next.

Eric J. Moreels

Apr 6, 2005, 09:44 pm

Corey Blake wrote:

Voted for Book of the Obscure (because I assume that's where the New Warriors would fall)

Nah, the Warriors aren't obscure! Granted, it's doubtful they'd get an OHOTMU to themselves since they don't currently have an ongoing series and whilst there's a mini on the horizon it would still depend on sales as to whether such a book would be viable. They'd fit well in a teenage characters book, though.

Corey Blake

Apr 6, 2005, 10:22 pm

Glee!

TheManWithoutFear

Apr 7, 2005, 08:23 pm

This might be a big pain in the ass question but...

Could you give some examples of what might go into these books?

Obscure? Gods & Monsters? Cosmic?

Eric J. Moreels

Apr 7, 2005, 11:46 pm

TheManWithoutFear wrote:

This might be a big pain in the ass question but...

Could you give some examples of what might go into these books?

Obscure?

Characters like Acidroid, Carver, Fireballs, Khyber, Pig, Syth, Toloc, Yap... in fact, some of those characters may not be obscure enough!

TheManWithoutFear wrote:

Gods & Monsters?

Gods like Zeus, Hercules, Sif, Loki, etc, and monsters like X The Unknowable, the Glob, Fin Fang Foom, etc.

TheManWithoutFear wrote:

Cosmic?

Characters like Genis-Vell, Thanos, In-Betweener, Beta Ray Bill, the Starjammers, the Brood, the Kree, Lilandra, Jahf, etc.

Red

Apr 8, 2005, 01:33 am

Eric J. Moreels wrote:

Characters like Acidroid, Carver, Fireballs, Khyber, Pig, Syth, Toloc, Yap... in fact, some of those characters may not be obscure enough!

Wow, those are obscure. I was thinking more along the lines of characters who I had heard of, but had little chance of making it into another Handbook. Like Paladin, or Sleepwalker...

TheManWithoutFear

Apr 8, 2005, 01:43 am

Well I'll get it regardless of what it is... but I won't be happy buying about "obscure" characters like that I don't even know any of em. Gods & Monsters and Cosmic looked cool.

Clay Olsen

Apr 8, 2005, 05:07 am

Well the point is to learn about them... so you will know about them...
Half my intrest in comics came from seeing a character that i had no idea about and finding out who he was... I learned about most of my favorite characters that way... from a random FF book of my cousins (FF#240-244) i found the Surfer... and went and found out all i could about him... He in turn led me to Adam Warlock and so on and so forth...

curiously where would you guys fit Adam Warlock? Cosmic or FF? or Elsewhere?

And i think Buried Alien/ Fastforward would definately qualify for Obscure... but then again maybe not...

mikeyh99

Apr 8, 2005, 06:08 pm

i voted for Obscure and Villains, i accidentally picked none of the above though too, so if a mod wants to change that, be my guest

MikeX

Apr 23, 2005, 06:43 pm

I'm dying to see a Academy X and Xavier Institute Handbook. That'd be awesome!

maniac mike

Apr 25, 2005, 04:47 pm

I would like to see ALPHA FLIGHT be made into a handbook!

Stuart V

Apr 25, 2005, 05:32 pm

maniac mike wrote:

I would like to see ALPHA FLIGHT be made into a handbook!

Well, I suppose you could make leather out of their skins and use the blood for ink, but it's a pretty gross and cruel thing to do to the members of Alpha Flight, and its not even like you'd be able to make more than a couple thousand copies, even if you rendered down members of Beta and Gamma Flight too.

Maybe we should stick to paper and ink and just write about the team instead?

Red

May 8, 2005, 05:54 pm

I have a crazy idea. How about an actual "Handbook" for the Marvel Universe? As in, instead of covering people, you take an issue and cover things like:

1. Places (Asgard, Savage Land, the Negative Zone) and their histories

2. How certain metaphysical things work in the MU, like time travel, other dimensions, the astral planes and psychic powers in general, magic, etc.

3. An overall history of the Marvel Universe...not of its superheros so much, but stuff like creation myths of the MU, the Celestials and their messing with Earth, the various alien empires and their ongoing wars...stuff like that.

I know, I know, it may not be a big seller...but then again, maybe it would be? Anybody who reads any Marvel comic would potentially be interested, rather than just fans of the particular theme of the month. You could call it "the Introduction to the OHOTMU" or something.

Anyway, you guys are doing a good job. I've bought them all so far (and probably will continue to do so).

Clay Olsen

May 8, 2005, 11:44 pm

As far as the Creation Myths of the MU that sounds more like an actual comic than a handbook... but the a book on specific places in the MU wouldn't be bad....

Andy E. Nystrom

Dec 22, 2008, 03:44 pm

Was looking through old entries and found this response re: making Alpha Flight into a Handbook.

Stuart V wrote:

Well, I suppose you could make leather out of their skins and use the blood for ink, but it's a pretty gross and cruel thing to do to the members of Alpha Flight, and its not even like you'd be able to make more than a couple thousand copies, even if you rendered down members of Beta and Gamma Flight too.

Maybe we should stick to paper and ink and just write about the team instead?

Interestingly that's now more viable than when the joke was made. They're all dead now and won't feel any pain, so an argument could be made that it's better for the environment to use whatever parts of their corpses aren't being used for organ doning than to cut down a few trees. Less wasteful

My photostream (over 7.5 million photos!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/

Board footera